Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This is quite funny because it sums up my exact response to Poe. He's literally only "best pilot".

thrawn527 posted:

Oh my god, I just realized they’re gonna make Oscar Isaac the new Indiana Jones one day, aren’t they?
I think he'd be great in that. I think OScar has the swag to pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

thrawn527 posted:

Hang on...I wanna hear more about those bats.

Well, we're back to the overall question of "how can anyone possibly view Star Wars as a nonology".

Twitter Guy, basically, argues that Luke was wrong to throw away his laser sword in Return Of The Jedi. This demonstration of an ethical commitment to pacifism is a nice enough ideal, but Luke actually needs to be pragmatic - realistic. Too much idealism means that Luke foolishly becomes anti-war, foolishly fails to kill his child nephew when he has the chance: "Luke is doing the heroic and selfless thing here, in his mind", but pacifism "[only] benefits the oppressors".

In the Twitter Thread, Twitter Guy writes vaguely in terms of "oppressors" and "the oppressed". It's evident that he defines "oppressors" as the shouty enemies of the Republic, and "the oppressed" as, like, child-victims potentially helped by the Republic. The Republic itself is axiomatically good. So, again, Luke's failure is that he ceases to support the Republican war effort. He needs to do violence on behalf of the Republic, or more likeable people will die!

Here's where we're getting into some tricky territory, as Twitter Guy makes a clear distinction between force-users and everyone else. While he absolutely supports Luke stabbing Palpatine in the face, Jedis are simply too powerful to allowed to interfere in the affairs of normal people. They cannot do violence directly, so the "pinnacle of Jediism" is to "take up the appearance of violence" - to promote violence to normal people.

This is why Twitter Guy curiously emphasizes the formulaic: "These movies all rhyme. A mentor pulls a whiz kid mechanic pilot strong in the Force from a desert planet, teach [sic] them about the Force and die [sic] by a red lightsaber." This is what's 'supposed to' happen. The purpose of a Jedi is to promote violence and then die before being able to enact it.

It becomes clear, then, that Twitter guy sees the PT and OT not just as reflections of eachother, but as literally the same story. The ST is likewise the same story, but the story is thrown into meta-crisis when Luke tries to do something new and inadvertently kills Han. The overall narrative of the Twitter Guy Star Wars Nonology is therefore one of historical progress: if we just keep doing the same things over and over, forever, society will gradually improve.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 9, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So Obi-Wan episode 4. It's the first episode so far that didn't feel drawn out, and had a few decent moments. The biggest weakness to the series is that there's no actual sense of tension when you threaten Obi-Wan or Leia because, well, it's a prequel series.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Keep finding spaceballs parallels it only makes me like TLJ more

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Randalor posted:

So Obi-Wan episode 4. It's the first episode so far that didn't feel drawn out, and had a few decent moments. The biggest weakness to the series is that there's no actual sense of tension when you threaten Obi-Wan or Leia because, well, it's a prequel series.

You're mostly right, but that's just a subset of the bigger problem which is that all of the dramatic and action scenes are staged incompetently so not only do you know the main characters are safe, it's boring to watch them keep themselves safe.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Obi Wan's got to such a low level of quality where I've gone from not thinking it's good but at least understanding how certain people might enjoy it and think it's decent Star Wars content to now just thinking anyone who calls it good has trash taste. It's so bad!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Love the bit where dramatic music swells as the camera zooms in on an unidentified alien preserved in amber. That was probably an epic moment if you knew what they were referencing

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

2house2fly posted:

Love the bit where dramatic music swells as the camera zooms in on an unidentified alien preserved in amber. That was probably an epic moment if you knew what they were referencing

Jurassic Park?

edit: haven't seen the episode yet.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean this sincerely: the Empire functions like what a six year old would imagine an evil empire would function like...if that same six year old did not want to kill any their "cool" characters.

I liked the concept of the Second Sister! I liked the actress! At this point she just seems like a dumb chump. Everyone seems like a dumb chump. The writing has let her down, man!

Edit: like, the problem with trying to smuggle a child out under a trenchcoat is that it makes you look like an idiot for trying it, and it makes your enemy seem like an idiot for falling for it.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 9, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

2house2fly posted:

The child mannequin in amber was hilarious though. "gently caress, we haven't met our quota of frozen people yet. Quick, run to the clothing store and grab a mannequin, no one will notice".

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm pretty sure ewoks could topple the entirety of the empire if they had a trenchcoat after this episode
It would be a much better show too

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Randalor posted:

The child mannequin in amber was hilarious though. "gently caress, we haven't met our quota of frozen people yet. Quick, run to the clothing store and grab a mannequin, no one will notice".

The fact that they treated this as some big reveal is absolutely insane. The secret of the Inquisition....which everyone already knew hunted and killed Jedi...is that they disrespect their corpses??!?!

It's hysterical that they left the kid's training helmet on. Like, they want you to know that they gently caress up little kids who can't fight back in their Hall of Victims. Imagine going to some drug dealer's mansion and there's all these rooms full of taxidermized dangerous animals and the last one is like, a toddler on a tricycle.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 9, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How did they even get that child frozen in amber? It definitely seems like it's supposed to be one of the children from the jedi temple, but, what, did Order 66 have a caveat of "Execute all of the Jedi, except that little poo poo that kicked me in the shin when I went to the Jedi Temple. I want him frozen in amber for all eternity!"? And I'm guessing the "ambering" process just kills the person considering Obi-Wan calls the hall a tomb.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I didn't get any sense that the guys frozen in amberite were dead. I guess you're right, he did call it a tomb. But I can't imagine what the point of that sequence was if not that those are characters they can pull from later. Granted this show is not firing on any cylinders

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Upsidads posted:

I'm pretty sure ewoks could topple the entirety of the empire if they had a trenchcoat after this episode
It would be a much better show too

Jawas and Ewoks in trenchcoats better be playable classes in Battlefront 3

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I liked the concept of the Second Sister! I liked the actress! At this point she just seems like a dumb chump. Everyone seems like a dumb chump. The writing has let her down, man!
The inquisitors are consistently dumb chumps across all media so that tracks

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

We're working through the Lego Star Wars: Freemaker Adventures alongside Obi-Wan, and it's actually kind of sad that a children's show, written for kids to sell merchandise, manages to be better than Obi-Wan in basically every way.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Trenchcoat is fun who cares. The thing is that the show looks like poo poo and the dialogue sucks. Every line feels like a placeholder waiting for someone to breathe life into it. There's no juice, just stuff like Ewan breaking out his james bond scuba mouth again

Probably should have been feature length, but doing a direct to digital movie would be a big admission that there's not much gas hyperfuel left in the tank

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ingmar terdman posted:

Trenchcoat is fun who cares.

It's more of a sign that this show's dogshit writing and action have lost me to the point that this stuff is bothering me, honestly.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

Keep finding spaceballs parallels it only makes me like TLJ more

The spaceball references actually started with the prequels, there’s a whole thread about it in the scifi-wifi forum.

Just another thing to thank Lucas for which Disney aped profusely.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 9, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I never wanted a Funko pop but I want youngling w hat in amber

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Randalor posted:

We're working through the Lego Star Wars: Freemaker Adventures alongside Obi-Wan, and it's actually kind of sad that a children's show, written for kids to sell merchandise, manages to be better than Obi-Wan in basically every way.

Freemaker Adventures is a legitimately good show in my opinion. It's a comedy but also knows to take itself just seriously enough to make us care about the characters.

Also it has Dana Snyder playing a Hutt

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 9, 2022

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

thrawn527 posted:

Hang on...I wanna hear more about those bats.

Not a calvin and Hobbes fan huh?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

2house2fly posted:

Hell, not even I knew who they were.

DeimosRising posted:

Not a calvin and Hobbes fan huh?

Oh, was that a C&H reference? Sorry, not really, no, so that one went right over my head.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Just Chamber posted:

Obi Wan's got to such a low level of quality where I've gone from not thinking it's good but at least understanding how certain people might enjoy it and think it's decent Star Wars content to now just thinking anyone who calls it good has trash taste. It's so bad!

I’m always trying to find the best in a movie or whatever, so I do appreciate the sheer gumption of them going all in on the Inquisitors.

Like, “yes, the Inquisitors! Everyone has heard about the Inquisitors, since they have all along been extremely important! Did you know that the Rebel Alliance was specifically created to fight the Inquisitors? There were four of them.”

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’m always trying to find the best in a movie or whatever, so I do appreciate the sheer gumption of them going all in on the Inquisitors.

Like, “yes, the Inquisitors! Everyone has heard about the Inquisitors, since they have all along been extremely important! Did you know that the Rebel Alliance was specifically created to fight the Inquisitors? There were four of them.”

I just cant see the audience buying they're such a threat until we see them helicoptering away

Do it Disney, you cowards.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Trenchcoat is fun who cares. The thing is that the show looks like poo poo and the dialogue sucks. Every line feels like a placeholder waiting for someone to breathe life into it. There's no juice, just stuff like Ewan breaking out his james bond scuba mouth again

This did it for me. Obi-wan is good again.

The Inquisitors are so poo poo that it's unfeasible to me that they're not meant to be. The Third Sister this episode failed to intimidate or even manipulate a literal child. There's a shot where two of them stare gormlessly after a very slowly departing ship, having exhausted their big well of Jedi-murdering plans with "throw a battery at it".

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There are at least a dozen and they're all jobbers

josh04 posted:

The Inquisitors are so poo poo that it's unfeasible to me that they're not meant to be.
They absolutely are meant to be poo poo. Disney is committed to the bit, even if it undercuts tension and drama.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 10, 2022

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah the inquiriesers are meant to be viewed as incompetent. The only reason they persist and intimidate is their material.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I fail to see how making your lead antagonist a total pushover idiot clown who is bad *intentionally* makes for compelling conflict. She couldn’t even intimidate a ten year old girl.

This show sucks so much poo poo. It’s a bunch of nothing written by a hundred bean counters.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yah the inquisitors in Fallen Order loving rule.

They are decent in Rebels as well.

This show tho? Garbage. See ya on Wednesday tho! lol

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah the inquiriesers are meant to be viewed as incompetent. The only reason they persist and intimidate is their material.

No they're not lol

They're there to be guys more threatening than stormtroopers but less threatening than darth vader that so you can have cool red lightsaber scenes without him

I mean in theory, in this show they're there to be very boring and make me look at my phone a lot

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

This show tho? Garbage. See ya on Wednesday tho! lol

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

josh04 posted:

This did it for me. Obi-wan is good again.

The Inquisitors are so poo poo that it's unfeasible to me that they're not meant to be. The Third Sister this episode failed to intimidate or even manipulate a literal child. There's a shot where two of them stare gormlessly after a very slowly departing ship, having exhausted their big well of Jedi-murdering plans with "throw a battery at it".

The inquisitors are in the franchise tradition of a bunch of useless losers sitting around a table talking before becoming obsolete:

moffrence77
the last stockholders meeting on lava world
obi bail and yoda in the ship at the end of 3

they do seem kinda built to be stupid

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I was one of the villains in Star Wars. mmy name was "L'oser Fuckface Ner'd" and my catchphrase was "I cant inquisit them! theyre too strong."

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If I wanted to watch someone warn their representatives not to fail again, wait until they fail, and repeat that indefinitely, I would simply refresh moveon.org

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I fail to see how making your lead antagonist a total pushover idiot clown who is bad *intentionally* makes for compelling conflict. She couldn’t even intimidate a ten year old girl.

No, see, now it makes sense why Vader used an interrogation droid to get info out of Leia in ANH, cuz everything needs to be couplets.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Why does everything look like poo poo. I know Greig Fraser is busy, but surely Disney can afford one of the other cinematographers who can light and frame a shot.

Star Wars has had bad writing, acting, and choreography before. But I don't think it ever looked this bland.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
I imagine there's only so much you can do when everyone is just a few feet away from a fancy computer screen encircling them or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
What’s worse aesthetics wise is that at this point there are only two planets in the galaxy. Sand World and Gravel World. We’re never going to get something like Bespin or Naboo again.