Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

galagazombie posted:

It's a major plot point that the Republic legit had no functional military for "a thousand years" which is why Palpatine had to spend decades manipulating both sides of the Clone Wars into creating one. The peace of the Republic seems to have been legit.

The Trade Federation is part of the Republic and has a massive army. We also obviously see Naboo’s military and police forces - both the humans’ and the gungans. Coruscant implicitly has its own military, while the Jedi serve a paramilitary role.

There is no Grand Army of the Republic before Palpatine, but the Republic’s member worlds each have their own military forces because they are in constant conflict. They may need to defend their trade routes or repress an aboriginal population.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

galagazombie posted:

That does make it seem like the Republic is (at least by the time of TPM) so weak and ineffectual it can't even stop private entities like the Trade Federation from galavanting around with their own armies. Dooku's council meeting in AotC implies all these corporations and such have long been maintaining their own militaries. I'd hesitate to call Naboo's a military though. It's like one garage of ships to protect the royal yacht and some cops. If they had a military Jar-Jar wouldn't have needed to point out the Gungans have one.

Naboo’s guys are “guards”, but that’s kind of a pointless distinction when they have fighter jets (and glorified technicals) at their disposal.

Point is that the ‘peace’ in the Republic is an extremely relative peace, meaning only that there’s no galaxy-spanning war. Interplanetary conflicts are happening all the time, and that’s not even getting into the all-pervasive slavery from Tatooine to Coruscant.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

General Dog posted:

But they did free some Space Mules

Temporarily. They released them into a tiny area of an otherwise-featureless desert planet. The space mules would certainly be recaptured within a few days. Or starve.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

KVeezy3 posted:

Space horses are non-sentient.
- Wookiepedia

The real issue is that they have they have the forward-facing eyes of a predatory species.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

McSpanky posted:

Yes and if you've ever read Umberto Eco you'd know how absurd it is applying a toothlessly reductionist devil's advocate form of it to a robots vs. kaiju movie compared to what real fascism actually is.

What did Eco say about killing tall people from foreign places?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bonaventure posted:

Cinema Discusso: The text and context of the film both contradict my reading of it, but I think you'll find that if you pretend the opposite is true, then my case becomes much stronger.

So you are claiming fascism ceases to be fascism - and in fact becomes good - if it grows to become international/global.

Explain how that works.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

I’ll probably like it though. Unlike you who will bitch and bitch endlessly as you poo poo yourself because Rey wins or something

The issue with the film is more that it’s badly edited, the narrative is compromised by studio-mandated reshoots, the action scenes are largely poorly done, it’s overreliant on expository dialogue, it’s deeply conservative, none of the jokes land, it doesn’t actually function as a commentary on the rest of the series, and there are zero interesting designs.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Star Wars: Hope. The Downtrodden And Oppressed Know Our Symbol, And They Put Their Hope In It. Rebellions Are Built On Hope. Hope Is Like The Sun; If You Only Believe In It When You Can See It, You’ll Never Make It Through The Night. The Light, It’s Always Been There. As Long As There's Light, We’ve Got A Chance.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Holy poo poo! gently caress! Finn has a different hairstyle.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Farrier Theaks posted:

Yeah, hes Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold.

Kylo Ren is a 30-something Christian fundamentalist on a literal crusade - and evidently the highest ranking member of his church besides Snoke.

The Columbine kids were ‘merely’ teen white supremacists doing domestic terrorism.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AccountSupervisor posted:

I have a feeling at least part of this will be involved in whatever the Emperors role in Ep 9 is.

It 100% won’t.

The entire concept of ‘the Battle of Jakku’ was invented to retroactively explain the wreckage on Tatooine, after the initial concept - that it’s simply a junkyard - was dropped partway into production of TFA.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 19, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Nf3 posted:

What is it with every hero needing "credentialism" from Robert Mueller, to Rey "Nobody but Actually " SkyWalker. Does anyone else feel let down if Disney decides to go the Rey is actually the daughter of Hillary Clinton and George Jefferson route, not some nobody bartender working in the streets of New Tattooine, but somebody geneticalled chosen to "take leadership". This monarchistic dynastism really sours my grapes, Disney. I'm curious if other's could feel the same way of Rey being a SkyWalker or Kenobi. I don't think its a good message to send this nation's children, and by that I mean grown rear end liberal and conservative adults that love hero-worship.Where my fellow goons at on this one?

Shmii Skywalker wasn’t a queen.

Rey is not ‘genetically superior’ because she’s a Skywalker (Anakin wasn’t a king either) but because she has the same psychic mutation as Yoda, Mace Windu, and Snoke.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Just Chamber posted:

So you're saying they're X-Men?

Correct. That’s been the plot of Star Wars since Phantom Menace. It’s a random mutation.

The only difference is that the mutants in X-Men start making GBS threads atomic laser beams the moment they hit puberty, while the mutants in Star Wars need tons of extensive training just to pull off rudimentary tricks. The population of the galaxy is full of mutants, across pretty much every species, but the vast majority are never trained - so they go through life with slightly-better-than-average reflexes or whatever.

There was never any indication that Yoda and Darth Maul came from special families. Even if they had, they were nothing without the training.

Rey was special in TFA because her particular random mutation is so ridiculously powerful that she doesn’t even need training. Her parentage was never important except to fans.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 21, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Arc Light posted:

The jedi in particular make an active effort to prevent force bloodlines from becoming a thing, with their rules against attachment/marriage.

The rule is against emotional attachments, not against “force bloodlines”. That’s something you made up.

Again, even if Obiwan had 15 kids, those kids would have no real special abilities without training. Also, Obiwan could just... not feel attached to them.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

s.i.r.e. posted:

Solo is pretty good, not the most memorable, but it's at least not the painful, theatrical misery that is Rogue One or TLJ.

Every Disney Star War has suffered massive amounts of studio tinkering, on the level of infamous productions like Suicide Squad - but Rogue One survived with only minor first-act pacing issues, whereas Force Awakens had its protagonist edited out, along with the associated narrative.

Solo got hosed worse than any of them; even its plot changes drastically from shot to shot. It’s in no way “pretty good”. That points to massively reduced standards.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

mastershakeman posted:

Did you get r1/force awakens typed backwards here or am I missing something

Force Awakens was written and filmed with FN-2187 as the protagonist. It was then heavily reshot and edited to make FN into a comic relief character, and then a minor subplot about Leia searching for Luke was made into the main plot of the film. There are a ton of issues that resulted - like multiple things being set up as plot twists despite already being explained in earlier dialogue scenes.

Rogue One was reshot mainly to tone down the protagonist’s radicalism, but there are no major issues with the resulting narrative, except that the tank ambush scene was clearly censored to some extent.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timby posted:

No, it loving wasn't, and you need to stop beating this drum of fan-fiction in your head.

It’s actually fairly extensively documented.

For example, reshoots were conducted to remove a subplot with a character called Constable Zuvio. The scenes where Zuvio was to appear were merged with a later sequence where Rey first meets FN. There are tons of major continuity errors as a result here, and the characters’ mouths usually don’t match their dialogue. Boyega’s dialogue is frequently just muted. (The reported rationale behind these reshoots is that Boyega didn’t have ‘good chemistry’ with his costar.)

That’s just one example.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Daddy Thanos posted:

Can you make a video with all the evidence for this

You don’t really need a video; Zuvio was cut so late in production that he still got an action-figure and a bunch of other merch.

If you recall the scene where Rey beats up two kidnappers, Zuvio (a sheriff of some kind) originally broke up the fight and sent Rey home for the night. Rey would then return to town and meet FN the next afternoon.

This means the part where Rey wins and knocks both dudes unconscious was shot almost a year after the part where they try to grab BB.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Schwarzwald posted:

I wonder if that doesn't partially account for the underproduction of Rey figures as well, if she originally had a smaller part.

Rey didn’t necessarily have a smaller part. It’s just that FN was the protagonist until someone at Disney evidently really hated his performance. I’ve counted at least a dozen instances where Boyega’s dialogue was altered or muted in just the first act of the film.

Like, when FN gets knocked over by the giant pig? He says something to the pig, but it’s muted.

When he wakes up after the tie fighter crash? He says something, but it’s muted.

Rey knocks him on the ground? Same thing. Basically a ton of instances of FN getting angry and ‘talking back’ were removed to make him into more of a passive character.

But anyway, this is moving away from the point that Solo is much worse than this. The main thing they did was attempt to turn a comedy into an uplifting drama by removing the punchlines. Like, they’ll have these elaborate setups and then the scene just cuts away. The editing is awful. There are scenes that simply don’t belong in the movie at all, and are included because that was simply all they had to bridge two plot points. Why does L3 piss on a fence?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Taintrunner posted:

Noone's ever really gone.

Ugh.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

IG-88 posted:

Some of you guys forgot ROTS culminates in Anakin slaughtering a bunch of kids

There’s a very big difference between that scene and this one, where the woman gets too horny-clingy so he impales her and spits on her corpse, calls her a piece of poo poo, then shows it off to the crew.

“You’re not garbage, and I don’t know why you were treated like garbage.”
-Kevin “Fragmaster” Bowen, in Mood House

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

General Dog posted:

I think it’s important that girls get the message that they, too, can be petty, incompetent middle managers.

Right: strong female characterization means strong writing. Does the character have an interesting psychology?

People have gotten it into their head that strong female characterization means physical strength and/or being a paragon of virtue, but that's not the point at all. You can have super-strong superhero characters that are really poorly written - which is the issue with Holdo and Rey. Or you can have really well-written characters that are incompetent or evil (i.e. Padme).

On top of this, Jyn Erso is well-written and competent.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Sheev laughs for two seconds in the teaser and now every leak is saying that this laugh is the key to everything. Sheev's the most important character in the film!!!

The Force Awakens teaser had a clip of Luke Skywalker, edited to say "the force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it... You have it too." That's the origin of basically every single "Rey's parents" speculation, fake leak or rumor you've ever heard. Luke must be talking about Rey, so how is he related to Rey?!!

Problem is that the dialogue there is referring to Kylo. The teaser was made back when "Luke is Kylo's uncle" was still intended a big third-act plot twist. So, like a ton of shots and dialogue in the trailers, it never actually ended up in the film at all.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shaocaholica posted:

So is this movie going to bomb or what?

It's pretty much impossible for it to bomb.

Like, just the sheer amount of advertising (the previous episodes are themselves feature-length ads for this one) guarantees an audience. Worst-case scenario for Disney is an Amazing Spiderman 2 kind of situation where the film "only" makes 800 million.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

thrawn527 posted:

There's stuff in the trailer that's not in the movie, but I thought the director himself said they just shot a bunch of stuff without knowing what would end up in the movie. I know there are reports that they brought someone in to do reshoots and edits and cut Edwards out, but I don't know how much is true vs. rumors.

The "extra stuff" is probably half true. A huge chunk of Force Awakens' marketing was made up of unused shots and deleted-scene footage - but we also know that a decent amount of Rogue One was rewritten/reshot by an uncredited Tony Gilroy. (Luckily, Gilroy did a pretty good job of it.)

Also, as it happens, the recent movie Prospect is an unofficial Star Wars movie about space outlaws that's vastly superior to Solo in every way.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's funny because without those posts this thread is somehow worse.

For real. The things they believed were false, but they had a fundamentalist dedication that generated bizarre but interesting content.

Unfortunately, that same fundamentalism pushed each of them to the point of self-destruction as they were unable to handle the truth, as it were.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

No Mods No Masters posted:

Rey = Shmi is a powerful albeit cursed theory, and would constitute the star war's final, permanent embrace of the dumpster. Bring it on, says this commentator

It’s the one (and only one) thing that could make this Good.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Hahahahahahaha

It’s extremely bad if true.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mike N Eich posted:

I still think it’s such a missed opportunity they didn’t have Rey join with Kylo in TLJ

Well, the ‘good’ news is that Episode 8’s been effectively retconned out of existence. What do you miss from skipping it, besides Luke dying?

It’s even been revealed that the Snoke hologram was Sheev all along.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hazo posted:

Does SMG still post in these threads

Ya but there’s really nothing left to say about the Disney movies.

At this point, the spoiler thread’s about bracing yourself for something really stupid.

Like the story of the secret sith fleet found in mothballs - who’s going to drive all that poo poo? “We found 200 city-sized aircraft carriers! Yay!”

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

General Dog posted:

Palpatine doesn't really ever make a pitch for Luke joining his side, he just seems to assume that it's a given if Luke kills Vader, like Luke is contractually obligated to go for work for him in that scenario.

Killing Vader is an admission that Sheev is right. Also Sheev is pretty much literally Space Satan.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Problem 1: The scene isn’t remotely scary, even in a theoretical sense.

Problem 2: Your interpretation is based exclusively on like the first minute of the scene.

The cave scene actually shows Rey learning to predict the future with the snap echo thing. She literally envisions herself as one of her projections - all extending forwards into infinity.

If anything, the fading of the two shadows represents the elimination of her parents as obstacles.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

I get why Luke's fear and anger regarding Vader feels much clearer than Rey's pretty wishy washy motivations.

The issue is that you’re going more off of the exposition about a different phenomenon from an entirely different film to understand this one.

In Ep. 5, Luke is strongly implied to be drugged and then sent by Yoda into an empty, filthy ruin to have a freak-out.

In Ep. 8, Rey just jumps in a hole and starts goofing around with the giant crystal she finds there. Also, this is contextualized by her beating up Luke, stealing his books, deciding to help Darth Vader’s grandson, choosing to embrace pure power, etc.

Rey specifically jumps in the hole because:

“Your parents threw you away like garbage ... but you can't stop needing them. It is your greatest weakness. You're looking for them everywhere... now in Skywalker. He sensed my power, as he senses yours. And he feared it.”

And then:

“I should have felt trapped or frightened, but no. It didn't go on forever, I knew it was leading somewhere.”

The ‘should’ is what Luke told her. The cave experience leads Rey to believe that Luke is holding her back, and that she has a destiny to surpass him.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

weekly font posted:

Strongly? I’ve never thought Luke was drugged. Where does that come from?

Mainly from the fact that he starts tripping balls after the weird little swamp shaman feeds him some bad-tasting mushroom(?) soup.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

You're right. They are in the official canon two completely different magical evil caves.

Yes. And they are also narratively different.

Maz’ basement is a more explicit reference, yet is also different.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

What does narratively different mean?

That they are different in the narrative(s).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

feedmyleg posted:

This was a bad move. A creepy, incel, alt-right, emotionally-stunted, post-Columbine teenager is a lot scarier in the modern era than Metal Frankenstein. The prequels may have whiffed the execution of the character, but they nailed the idea. As much as I think the sequels also have terrible characters, Kylo is a great refinement of the same concept.

Anakin is literally a manifestation of the old testament God. He's a New Age cultist working as a humanitarian peacekeeper for the space UN. He's 23 years old.

Kylo is an archetypal Gothic protagonist. He's a religious fundamentalist employed as an inquistor/crusader by the space pope. He's 30 years old.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

General Dog posted:

I didn't know that TFA being about fandom was controversial. What on earth is it about, if not that?

Meme:

Rey saw the OT and Luke saw the prequels.

Truth:

Rey knows very little about the events of the OT (she's actually intimately familiar with the plot of Solo). Meanwhile, Luke's understanding of history doesn't match the narrative of the prequels except in a very rudimentary way.

The memes that Rey represents fandom and so-on are a result of a narrative failure. Rey doesn't know a lot about Star Destroyers because she's a fan of popular myths and legends. She knows a lot about Star Destroyers because she's a mechanic working in a junkyard full of scuttled boats. The story that Rey is a feudal serf inhabiting a desert hellscape for over a decade is just absolutely unconvincing, so people's minds wander elsewhere.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

No Mods No Masters posted:

That would be the tail wagging the dog a bit, the real cause/effect is that creative on the movies thought that anything remotely related to space politics was too boring/unimportant/toxic for the main audience so justification got relegated to the fan fiction doled out to the turbo rubes. I would be genuinely shocked if either screenwriter on star wars 9 had any clue about this important space event

There are just so many quick fixes:

Like, make Kylo leader of the First Order from the beginning. Snoke is ultimately a redundant character, mucking up Kylo’s otherwise-perfectly-clear motivations with bad intrigue. The First Order being led by a council of Vader-worshipping ex-Jedi makes total sense. You don’t need a Snoke to ‘explain’ it, because then you need an explanation for Snoke - and if Palpertine is behind Snoke, you need to explain him. This is horribly complicated for no reason whatsoever, and causes people to ignore Kylo’s characterization because ‘he’s just Snoke’s puppet.’

Cut the entire Republic exploding; it has the effect of lowering the stakes. “It’s bad to kill 50,000,000,000 people” is not a brave stance. It means the heroes effectively stand for nothing - both figuratively and literally. As with Snoke, it muddles the Resistance’s motivations because they’re ultimately puppets of this mysterious offscreen political entity.

Make Casino Planet the introductory scene / prologue, so that the film doesn’t grind to a halt every few minutes and become a logistical clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

mastershakeman posted:

Also as to why the promising leader at the end of return of the Jedi is now a grumpy old rebel again despite every single person aware of the movies assuming she'd be a top leader of the new republic

Also this explains why, after years of training as a Jedi, Benjamin Solo starts researching Darth Vader’s philosophy, cutting ties with both his family (who lied to him) and the Republic (who now despise his mom).

In turn, this explains why Luke begins plotting to kill half his students.