Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

banned from Starbucks posted:

Is making GBS threads on RLM still the cool SA thing to do for some reason?

I guess some goons are jealous that they'll never be that funny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Dr.Radical posted:

The old Plinkett reviews are great when they’re not doing the “Plinkett is a serial killer hahaha” jokes.

This thread is the pinnacle achievement of terrible opinions.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
this was loving hilarious and you need to rethink your entire life if you don't agree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB9h1zYK0ic

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Milky Moor posted:

It's so cool that in, say, ten years or so, perhaps less, people will be begging for the new Star Wars EU to be washed away.

I don't think it'll happen because unlike the PT, the movies so far have had some great characters and they're at least well-acted. Just lol when you compare Kylo Ren or Rey to Anakin from the PT. He was supposed to be the backbone of the prequels. Half the time he opened his mouth you just want to say "just shut up" out loud.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Chewie won't die yet. He can be in the fourth trilogy whenever that happens. Disney isn't going to let that one go.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

kidkissinger posted:

Chewie won't die.

They could put anyone in the suit and it wouldn't matter.

That was my point. lol at CGing Chewie ever. He was practical even in Episode 3.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

thrawn527 posted:

I had those when I was a kid, and Yoda seems especially weird to me, because he's not really a substantial part of that movie. It seems like the thought process was like this:

Episode IV: "Alright, first movie, what's the most iconic character from the movie? Clearly Darth Vader. Boom, book it."
Episode V: "Okay, Empire is striking back, so what image symbolizes the Empire the most? Darth Va...poo poo, we already used him. Okay, Stormtrooper it is."
Episode VI: "It's the return of the Jedi, so we need a Jedi. Using Luke would be weird, as we haven't used actors up until now, so...I guess Yoda? He's in this movie, right? I think? For like 5 minutes? Sure, whatever, no one really cares anyway, and people like Yoda."

Coulda used Jabba for ROTJ.

(I almost said an Ewok)

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

banned from Starbucks posted:

He should have his own movie imo

Hell they should do a whole Shadows of the Empire film

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Vinylshadow posted:

Hyperfuel, eh?

Is that what the Resistance didn't have enough of in TLJ?
Yet were still somehow able to fuel, what, over two dozen transport ships? (Whch admittedly didn't have that far to go, but still...)

Are the Anthology movies just being made to explain mechanics in the numbered films?

What's next, Hyperspace Ramming Missiles in Solo 2: Lando Strikes Back?

It's pretty obvious that the fuel used in those bombers / transports would barely make a drop into the tank on that massive loving flagship. Plus they might not even use the same type of fuel. But for all its majesty and technological knowledge, how the galaxy hasn't invented nuclear powered engines for their bigass flagships is beyond me.

thrawn527 posted:

This apparently takes place before the second fight with Kenobi.

uhm, I might be mistaken, but isn't Clone Wars the TV show not cannon anymore? Only Rebels is correct? Or was Darth Maul in Rebels? I've seen neither, but I know he's in Clone Wars and the story about his brother and him running a syndicate and all that poo poo with robot legs and fml so dumb.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Milky Moor posted:

She's just a pretty bad actress.

lol @ the fuel thing. gotta try and make it seem like fuel was a thing because people got super mad at it in TLJ

Well those people are pretty loving dumb, so if this movie is made for them then I seriously might skip it. I was already thinking about it just because this story didn't need to be told at all.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
haven't seen Solo yet. i think i bookmarked my place in the thread to deal w/ that but

LMFAO remember when a bunch of sperg-rear end-losers were bitching about Hosnian Prime because OMG IT HAS FIVE HABITABLE PLANETS IN ONE SYSTEM?

and since then irl we found...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnKFaAS30X8

i bet JJ fuckin came his pants irl after he read about that poo poo

too bad they're all basically uninhabitable lmfao

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

thrawn527 posted:

I have heard a lot of bullshit complaints about TFA, but I have never heard anyone mention this one, even in passing. Who was mad about that? Is this really a thing you've seen a bunch of people bitching about?

people were like "yea 5 habitable planets in one system... sure that's possible :jerkbag:"

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
When I saw this last night I laughed so hard I erupted into a goddamn coughing fit and almost threw up.

edit: I should prob use a different verb than "erupted"

ah gently caress it.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

ruddiger posted:

Ron Howard's paving the way for Jar Jar's redemption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eco_xvkEQlg

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
i'm like 13 pages behind but lmfao at all the people mocking potential new movie plots and no one thought it fit to bring up

Shadows of the Motherfucking Empire, betches.

Starring Matthew McConaughey as Dash Rendar
Mark Hamill and 10,000 Korean animators as Luke Skywalker
Carrie Fisher's estate and 15,000 Korean animators as Princess Leia
Tom Hardy and 200 make-up artists as Prince Xizor
A lot of paper-mache and styrofoam as Han Solo in carbonite

and introducing Dave Chappelle as LEBO
and Wilford Brimley as Jabba the Hutt

in Star Wars: Episode V 1/2: Shadows of the Empire

rated R for REALLY GOOD (extreme violence and gore, adult language, adult situations, gratuitous nudity)

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 8, 2018

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
but but but

*skyhook is being destroyed as Xizor goes to his ship to escape*

*right-hand henchman starts to board*

"THEY'RE EXPECTING ONE OF US AMONGST THE WRECKAGE, BROTHER"

"Have we started the merchandising?"

"YES, THE SHARE PRICE RISES"

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Not too happy I read that but he'll be all over the trailers and TV spots

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
This thread always has the worst ideas. I'm so glad none of you are involved in film making.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

:stare:

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
JJ should read this thread to make sure he's making none of these mistakes

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

I hope it’s so bad people go back and realize how great TLJ is

Most folks who aren't children already do realize it's good / great.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Mark Hamill has a beard again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zbrndS1Deg

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Calaveron posted:

Growing a beard's the easiest thing in the world and wouldn't necessarily indicate anything if we didn't already know he's in the next movie

Hey, genius, there was discussion about it only a few pages back. Try to keep up.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Wheat Loaf posted:

Today's news:

Star Wars tv series will cost $100 million for 10 episodes and may be set on Mandalore three years after ROTJ. I predict that this will probably be more of an Inhumans than a Game of Thrones, though.

There's also been a rumour that Episode IX will either be the longest Star Wars movie ever (TLJ is currently the longest at two and a half hours) orrrrrrr... split into two movies! :v:

I'd rather have a IX and X.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Who came up with the "rumor" about the run time / two movies?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

chiasaur11 posted:

Things undone:

Rey was implied to have some kind of Backstory. Like, half her scenes in The Force Awakens were using pretty basic cinematic language to say "Hey, pay attention. This is going to be Important".

Snoke was set up to be a major player.

Finn and Rey were set up as the main couple, with Finn having gone through a character arc from coward to hero.

Kylo had his worship of Darth Vader as a central motivation.

Phasma was apparently killed due to being in the middle planetary explosion.

The Resistance had dealt a serious blow to the First Order.

Finn had taken serious injuries.

Kylo's scar.

Huh. That... seems to be more than two things.

:qq: Everything didn't play out exactly like I wanted :qq:

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Dishwasher posted:

I'm not shocked at the rumors of splitting the story into two films and sorta predicted it with the lack of focus on the Roman numbering this go round.

lol. They neglected the roman numerals in the marketing because that's what the original trilogy did. It wasn't until the prequels came out that "Episode X,Y,Z - Movie Title Here" started. The original sequels were billed as Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. All of them had the episode number in the opening crawl though.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Smoke is just the latest rear end in a top hat in charge and it's better that way. Pretty funny it flusters so many feathers amongst aspiring screenwriters though!

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

ozza posted:

Literally all TLJ had to do to lay some sort of interesting groundwork for the next film was to follow through on the thematic and narrative elements it had established, and have Rey and Kylo join forces as some sort of middle-way, neither-dark-nor-light Jedi. Rey sees some hope for redemption in Kylo, Kylo apparently remains wavering in his commitment to the dark and asks Rey to teach him to be good. There: something new and exciting for the next film to explore. TLJ already went up to the doorstep of doing this, only to then turn and run back out into the night, making GBS threads itself as it went.

Holy poo poo! Someone hire this man to write all future Star Wars films! This is genius material!

cargohills posted:

all Rian Johnson had to do to make a good film was to shoot my awful fanfiction

And this is what it all boils down to. Almost every complaint about TLJ begins and ends with the fact that it wasn't exactly what the person had in mind. Tough poo poo, time to grow up.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
GOD drat YOU RIAN JOHNSON! ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS SAY THAT SNOKE WAS MACE WINDU.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
The Last Jedi was so poorly written and nonsensical that JJ Abrams stated that he wished he could have directed it after he read it.

The Last Jedi was so terrible that Lucasfilm invited the writer/director back to write and direct his own trilogy of films.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Wheat Loaf posted:

See, I didn't get that impression from it and I wonder if it's because while I was broadly aware of all the theorycrafting going on, I wasn't a participant in it or anything. Like I mentioned before, one of the things that sincerely surprised me after TLJ came out was discovering that all these people were apparently incredibly invested in the backstory and identity of Snoke beyond him being an evil emperor archetype, because I was just going by TFA and as I mentioned in the last few pages I honestly didn't get the impression from TFA that he was being set up as anything more than that.

You know what's hilarious? Most of these people are still coming up with insane theories that are equally as horrible as "Smoke is Mace Windu" or whatever flavor of the month youtube video said pre-TLJ. I think they're all in denial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mZZAvIHMvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHRpD7llLSU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gg6iZH9toc

also fan fiction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjLWBbYm9_s

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

MarcusSA posted:

I'm not going to say I was invested in him as a character but I was just hoping they'd give a little explanation. Like there aren't many (any?) sith fuckers running around and here comes this dude running poo poo and he looks old as gently caress. Sooo??

I dunno it was just one of the things that bugged me when he died because it was just like :shrug: time to move on!

He was just the latest rear end in a top hat in charge. That's why I love it. He wasn't important other than the fact that he accumulated wealth and power.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

MarcusSA posted:

I guess? I mean he was also a pretty powerful Sith

He's not a Sith though? No one says he's a sith.

MarcusSA posted:

I hate to agree with SMG here but...loving Star Wars is bringing me to it!

gently caress you Star Wars!

Please do not encourage or reject SMG. He has a mental illness and reinforcing his psychosis is cruel, but he angers quickly if you are dismissive. It's best to just to stay vigilant...

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Papercut posted:

I love flat cartoon characters, so classic. People that didn't like it just need to grow up!

He's not the focus of the story. Sorry you can't deal with this and have to act like a tool though.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Papercut posted:

As many people have pointed out, his pivotal role in Kylo Ren's character arc begs for further explanation. It's fine if you like that he's barely even a character, but telling anyone who disliked the film to grow up while simultaneously praising the lack of character development is ironic.

There has been character development involving the main characters. If you want something that explores the tertiary characters, might I suggest the novel companion book or some of the comic books to wet your whistle?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Wheat Loaf posted:

Snoke as a component of Kylo's backstory was something that needed more development than it got and I think that's one thing that confuses me a lot: I've seen a great deal more of "Who was Snoke?" as a complaint than "How did Snoke turn Kylo bad?" and I think the latter is a more interesting and probably a more important question which nonetheless seems to get far less attention in any of these "WHY THE LAST JEDI WAS A CINEMATIC TRAVESTY AND KATHLEEN KENNEDY IS AN SJW WHO SHOULD BE PUT IN FRONT OF A FIRING SQUAD IMMEDIATELY" videos that YouTube keeps recommending me than the former does.

Why is Snoke's backstory needed for us to accept that he turned Ben?

Like he's just a lovely evil dude and guess what, ultimate power is seductive and corrupts vulnerable people into doing terrible poo poo. Like a confused kid with a lovely dad like Han Solo.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

What's funny is how the ST feels a few years too early.

If they had been made in the Age Of Trump, it's pretty clear that you would've had the utopic New Republic led by Leia being subverted from within by the First Order led by Snoke. And that would lead on more neatly from the OT without feeling like it was all quickly invalidated.

So a remake of the prequel films?

Also I'm not sure how everything from the OT was invalidated? They had 35 years of peace and would have had it for far longer had the New Republic kept their military up to snuff and held the Imperial remnants to the treaty they signed.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
If only everyone had the brain of a small child who likes backflips and poopy jokes