Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Just be glad Carano isn't the teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've never seen TROS without being intoxicated and I don't recommend seeing it sober, whether you use themes or whatever, it's up to you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

galagazombie posted:

Part of what makes the original Tron memorable is a thing that can't be replicated. that it's Computer Animation is so primitive and "bad" that it cycles around to tricking your brain into thinking it's a brave aesthetic decision instead of the fact that computer animation back then just sucked. Even today when you watch the Light-Cycle scene it looks great, but not for any reason the makers intended. I don't really know how you can replicate that weird accidental timeless quality in a sequel. They really couldn't do it in Legacy, where things were pretty much that standard "IPod Future" aesthetic that Hollywood overuses today.
I agree with Matthew Colville here. The only actual idea in Tron is that there's a world in the computer, including people. The beating heart of the movie is Ram and Crom, these two hapless accounting programs who just loving love calculating stuff, probably without understanding why.

Then Legacy basically throws that idea out. The only programs that get any characterization are the antagonists, and Quorra. And Quorra is treated as proof that there are real, original people in Tronworld--what wasn't real enough about Ram and Crom? Well, they were nobodies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

TheLoquid posted:

TLJ is actually extremely easy to understand and has straightforward messages about hope and self-sacrifice and how we have to learn from the past.
The problem, assuming you're correct, is that those messages are loving stupid.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Sheev Page.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Hey, nobody likes an armed missionary.

Blood Boils posted:

Ani + Obi shouldn't even be considered friends from work, they've never had voluntary employment. They're warrior monks who were recruited as children!

If you want comparable relationships you need to look at soldiers and clergy
Indeed, they're monks and Anakin is Obi-Wan's novice. Their relationship isn't quite father and son, or older and younger brother, or boss and employee, it's a weird and dysfunctional thing of its own. It has very straightforward historical analogues, just not ones that immediately make sense to someone raised in a modern nuclear family.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Shanty posted:

Whatever beef Maul has with the Jedi is really interesting. It's not "at last, we will own these dumbasses and personally grab a bunch of power", it's "at last, we will have revenge".
It's possible that Sheev has just indoctrinated him against them with a bunch of liesabout the persecution of the sith, but I think exploiting an existing grievance is much more his thing. What did the Jedi do to Maul or his people?

Vinylshadow posted:

The 2017 Darth Maul mini-series covers that - Maul's seeking revenge of the Jedi for their massacre of the Sith at Malachor, as well as their weakness born from complacency
If you ignore EU garbage, Maul simply wants revenge against the Jedi for upholding the status quo that keeps his people in desperate poverty. (Why would he give a poo poo about some Jedi vs. Sith conflict that happened a thousand years ago on another planet?) Maul's familiar with Tattooine, and we first see him in action jumping off a speeder to attack Qui-Gon. Without knowing anything about his background, we see he's a scary, horned figure in a robe. He's a Sand Person.

We can presume that Palpatine and Dooku aren't the only ones buying slave-gladiators, or the Nightsisters wouldn't be training them. They're not there to repel any invasion force.

During the Clone Wars, Maul sought out ancient Sith secrets to get revenge on his enemies, not because he cared about some ancient Sith culture that never actually existed onscreen until the last seasons of Rebels and Clone Wars.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Bigger Luke is now Canon. All glory to Canon!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's amazing how these people just totally spaced on the point Lucas was making when he had Obi-Wan treat lightsabers like they're sacred, only for he and Anakin to both lose their lightsabers constantly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Why is a clone of Luke nine feet tall with claws?
My interpretation is that when Palpatine made Snoke, he didn't want to gently caress around with actually training an apprentice who would inevitably betray him and so on. So he took a shortcut and made Snoke a powerful Force user by just jamming him full of midichlorians. He's cloned from the most powerful Jedi he could find, and he's 7 feet tall, to hold extra midichlorians. This resulted in him being kinda overcooked.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Noob Saibot posted:

Filloni is doing what Geoff johns does at DC he’s gonna do whatever he wants and completely disrespect other authors and because he has his own fan base the execs are gonna go along with it.
Good. The comics and novels are awful garbage.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Horizon Burning posted:

i believe the light side is first mentioned in TFA. otherwise, yes, it was purely an EU creation and has poisoned how people perceive star wars for years since. there is the force and the perverse unbalancing of it - the dark side. to use the common analogy, you don't say that a little bit of cancer in a healthy body is balance.

see also grey jedi, where fans want to believe that shooting lightning at people is a-okay if you have good intentions.
I've been meaning to effortpost about what the Sith are and why there's no such thing as the Rule of Two, but right now I'm phoneposting and literally going over a bridge

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

I think people confusedly assumed 'the light side' was a thing and that balance meant both the Jedi and the Sith had equal numbers or influence because of how obviously similar the Force is to the Dao.
I'm not a Daoist but I'm almost certain that that's not how the Dao works.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I don't "dislike" Star Wars. I grew up with it and have seen the OT many, many times. Of course I'm less in love with it now there's more good than bad, and the overall continuity has been somewhat tarnished, but I still try and find things to like in it, and often find myself grading them downwards after my initial impressions, as reality takes hold, despite my initial optimism.

1st post was a jokey comment about being "forced" to watch it with my daughter. Not that I need to justify my parenting, but as most parents will tell you spending any time with their children is golden. It was a joke about how in doing so I will also have to endure some lovely films - of course I wouldn't have it any other way. I was expecting a couple of jokey comments in return, not actual apologism for the PT. I mean, maybe I shouldn't be surprised that people still posting prolifically about the films in 2021 would defend them - probably I should have posted it elsewhere.

2nd post was confirming my opinion on the PT having completed the rewatch - following comments in here that they might not seem so bad on a good cinema system - with a genuine question attached. Perhaps I should have known that disparaging the films would preclude getting a non-snarky answer.
Write some more paragraphs about how a forum thread about Star Wars hurt your feelings.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There's no Rule of Two. It makes no sense whatsoever. Yoda says "Always two there are," meaning that there's never just one. It's a comic book thing. There are three Sith in the movies and two more in the animated series, who were all alive at the same time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I know I'm going to regret asking, but is there some Canon answer on whether Palpatine was deformed by his own lightning powers or if Windu just made him drop an illusion that had been there the whole time, or whatever the debate was?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Mandrel posted:

there’s nothing special about stormtroopers and there never was, it’s just space body armor.
I mean, the stormtroopers are an army of born and bred slaves, which eventually gives way to a system of conscription. Kylo assuming the mantle of leader of the stormtroopers could be really meaningful, but LOL Didney Worl

euphronius posted:

JJ was hired to Star Trek 2009 Star Wars and that didn't work for a lot of reasons. I think that's main takeaway. we still ended up with 3 objectively competent and sometimes good films. I understand that lots of people did not like them for whatever reasons.
I mean no, I wouldn't even describe Star Wars IX as technically competent, let alone a well written and executed story. It's structured like a Star Wars ripoff released in 1978 with the budget of an actual Star Wars movie.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 27, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The conference room scene in A New Hope is one of my favourite scenes of all time because it's such efficient exposition about boring political stuff in an action adventure film.

Snoke, on the other hand, has a scene where his lackey explains basic elements of the setting to him, as if he's some cloistered emperor who has no idea what's going on.

Mandrel posted:

IX is structured like a 2 hour long YouTube fanedit pulling clips from 3 different movies that don’t exist. it’s just poo poo happening one after another after another
That's exactly what I'm talking about. It's a mishmash of everything people like about Star Wars with no rhyme or reason. The main difference between Episode IX and Starcrash or Message from Space, besides the production budget, is the focus-grouping and marketing and endless studio meddling.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 27, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, I was prepared to be generous with the movie, but the very first dialogue I was immediately thinking "They don't seem like they're actually having a conversation."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

He's pretty important, evident by him being the focal point of TLJ's climactic scene. My point is that he wasn't a sacred cow integral to the story that had to be preserved for the final boss fight. He's some rear end in a top hat manipulating petit nazis and throwing around a mentally unstable kid. He gets murdered by his protege as is usually the case for sith, making way for the far more interesting antagonist. He's Count Dooku.

Were you that interested in seeing Luuke's hand grow into an evil puppet badman on the big screen?
The problem is not that Snoke needs more characterization, but that the First Order needs more characterization. Everything about it is just vaguely, superficially fascist, except this Supreme Leader who has Palpatine's powers and dresses like an opulent pope. What's up with all that?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean that's around as much characterization as the Empire ever gets.
Nah. The basic structure of the Empire (and the Republic's transition into it) is laid out in a two or three scenes, namely Vader arresting Leia and the conference room scene. It's brisk, entertaining, and takes maybe 5 minutes of screen time.

Like, we know this about the empire:

1. It was a Republic before the Emperor took it over

2. The Emperor just dissolved the Senate, the last fig-leaf of rule by the governed in his Empire

3. To avoid ceding any power to a bureaucracy, the Empire will now be a decentralized government where governors have broad powers over vast regions of the galaxy, and individual planets are client states dominated by fear of invasion.

4. This is ludicrously loving expensive, and the Emperor plans to get around that with a superweapon that can obliterate any planet anywhere in the galaxy.

5. There are different branches and factions of the Imperial military whose leaders have differing opinions about this.

6. They're all afraid of the Emperor's hatchetman, a cyborg wizard who defected from the Jedi Order.

7. There's a Rebellion which is gaining sympathy and legitimacy. It's a highly organized movement with standardized weapons, uniforms, formal chains of command, etc.

8. Some now-former senators were aristocrats. Senators like Princess Leia aid the Rebellion under the cover of diplomatic and humanitarian activities, which at least partly explains how it's an organized resistance with serious military hardware.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 27, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

euphronius posted:

Luke Skywalker has vanished.

In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.

With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE. She is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy.

Leia has sent her most daring pilot on a secret mission to Jakku, where an old ally has discovered a clue to Luke’s whereabouts.…

This raises a lot of basic questions that the movie doesn't answer.

The First Order "rose from the ashes of the Empire." What does that mean? Did the Empire just continue in diminished form after Palpatine's death? Is the FO the government of a lot of planets?

Leia is leading a RESISTANCE with the support of the REPUBLIC. What's the distinction? The Republic, by necessity, also rose from the ashes of the Empire; what's its relationship with the FO? Why aren't they at full-scale war? Is the Republic supporting a subversive Resistance in FO territory, or openly supporting a partisan movement against FO occupation? It's muddled either way, because we don't see the FO actually occupying/governing territory beyond Starkiller Base. Compare this to ANH where the Tattooine is clearly under military occupation, while actual governance is quite loose.

And that's just the opening crawl. There's also stuff like where FN comes from. The FO forcibly recruits children--so do they conduct raids, or buy slaves, or formally rule a lot of planets and have a conscription system?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

euphronius posted:

The FIRST ORDER reigns.
Where?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

euphronius posted:

It also connects to the story of the Phoenix
Okay, you got me. It's been fun.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
They didn't actually have any way to police most of the galaxy. The Republic was more of a loose international governing body than a nation state.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Senate couldn't even verify what was happening on Naboo during Episode I.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ingmar terdman posted:

Tatooine, cloud city, and endor are I suppose the three worlds we get a good look at in the OT. They have distinct fauna and flora and people running about. I understand for a story reason why crait and hoth and going to be barren but why is maz kanata's castle where pirates are flying in and out just in the middle of a generic forest

And compared to Mos Eisley the aliens are boring as poo poo. They're more boring than a random scene in Quark's Bar from DS9.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That's not realistic. This is Star Wars, a very prestigious Disney imprint. Here, have five aliens with beige, flat, noseless faces.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

galagazombie posted:

Haven't watched Bad Batch.
They figured out exactly what the grimy misfit special ops team needs: a kid Jedi mascot.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I thought that the costume designs in Rebels were mostly very bad. I liked the Lisa Frank Trapper Keeper Mandalorian.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
When a movie is burdened with the task of wrapping up the story of all the old characters, and making good on the promise of the new characters, anything that wastes screen time really stands out. (That said, I totally forgot that they went to the galactic equivalent of a county fair for some goddamned reason.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Robot Style posted:

Nearly $5000 dollars for two nights in a slate gray compartment with no sunlight, and two of the beds are an oblong hole in the wall.

The appeal of the Millennium Falcon is that it's a grody bachelor pad in space. These rooms are like, hey, have you ever wondered what Grand Admiral Thrawn's yeoman's room is like? I never have. It feels much more Trek than Wars.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm a few pages into the comic adaptation of Trevorrow's script, and there are already more interesting alien faces than in the entire ST.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I like Star Wars.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I like Star Wars!

Good Star Wars I've seen recently: Space Sweepers, Space Truckers,

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The only thing I remember about Thor 2 was the sidekick referring to Mjolnir as "Mew mew." I don't remember anything insincere about Iron Man 2, it's just weird because Vanko is very clearly the hero and he loses.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm ambivalent about Marcia Lucas' comments. The problem is not that the OT characters died. It's that the ST was basically devoted to their sendoff. So to replace them we have these half-formed characters who didn't really get their own arc, and who we're supposed to care about because Luke Skywalker gave them the rub. This is "nadir of WWE" quality storytelling.

Jewmanji posted:

Pretty sure actors are just gonna start working prohibitions in this stuff into their contracts
Sure, but give it another 10-20 years and what actors will have the leverage to do that? Especially when the estates of the already-dead respected dramatic actors have already caved

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Definitely volcel. He stops the blaster bolt in midflight, how do you think you learn that power?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

His plot appears to have been deliberately constructed on the bodice-ripper level of being a redeemable bad boy who stalks the female lead but it's okay because destiny. he's a school shooter
Lame poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Blood Boils posted:

Again, are you really a school shooter if a) your school is also a temple/training ground for religious warriors and b) your teacher draws down on you first?
Kylo Ren is a cosplayer, like Dwight Eisenhower