Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Crabtree posted:

Rey ultimately loses against a force ghost because there's realistically nothing she can do but faff about with her force powers and light saber against, well, a ghost. Then Kylo kills himself and throws Palpatine down into Force Hell.

This is more or less how The Frighteners resolved, right?

God I didn’t realize how relatively stacked that movie was for being such a flop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Galaxy's Edge opened in Disneyland, by the way. For more of your Space Fight needs.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1132873960805228544

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just read an article in the last two weeks that it’s going to be awhile before they change the current FastPass system because they spent like a billion dollars on the current one and it’s going to take time to fix it

This is getting off topic, but he’s talking about a different thing. At Disneyland, if Galaxy’s Edge was full, you joined a virtual queue that’d ping your phone when you could enter the land. There’s no indication Hollywood Studios will have it. They actually re-made an area, possibly to serve as a queue for Galaxy’s Edge. And honestly if several thousand extra people come to the studios but can’t get into Galaxys Edge, there isn’t enough to do in that park to occupy them. So they may decide to let them die of heat stroke in a queue.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's confusing as hell, they decided to create a whole part of the park not based of the locales of the OT, but the ST then it's based of some location we've never seen and probably won't ever see? Why would I want to go to that? It's an area that has nothing that's attached to anyone save for a couple ship that are parked outside that you can't enter.

See, and i'm all about some random planet. I like the idea of seeing new worlds that are still recognizable, and I think expanding the universe is the only way for Star Wars to stay relevant for another dozen movies. The themes and setting of Star Wars are compelling, right? Surely it's not just the Skywalker family everyone gives a poo poo about. And this sort of loose tie in, name drop stuff is the sort of nerd itch that comic books (and the MCU) have been successfully exploiting for a while.

Of course, there's a compelling argument to be made that they should just stop making movies, but if there's a button that says "make money" on it, it's real hard to not push that button.

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm glad you like all of that, but it honestly sounds like dogshit to me. :shrug:

Disney Parks always require a certain level of buy-in from (adult) guests to get past the insane grossness of how everything is "fake" and fundamentally there to extract money from you. Like, if meeting Kylo Ren, who grills you while staring you down, doesn't get your motor running because it's a college drama student who's probably underpaid, I don't blame you a whit.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm just looking forward to the live-action remake of the Star Wars trilogies done completely in CGI. I kinda wonder what musical number they'll include.

With any luck

https://youtu.be/lg_FoEy8T_A

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

High Lord Elbow posted:

Frozen was a pretty good movie. They should put those people in charge of Star Wars. Even if they throw in a musical number or two, it’s better than the junk they’re trying to push on us.

My new gimmick is only posting this video in this thread but only when it’s relevant

https://youtu.be/lg_FoEy8T_A

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Disney would have given us microscopic force creatures but Chapek saw Osmosis Jones and knew it could not be improved upon

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Wait what

https://twitter.com/vengefulwalnut/status/1178030671215771648?s=21

Reminder that galaxys edge is at least hypothetically part of canon

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

There's a strong argument for handwaving the in-universe logistics of it because it's a beautiful shot, pretty powerful in the moment, and at least makes some sort of sense at first blush; I think it's more important that it gel thematically with the rest of the movie. That scene is pretty close to the bit where Rose stops Finn from making the same play. I haven't really heard a way to make the two work together other than "different people in the Resistance have different opinions of how the war should be fought," which is unsatisfying for good vs. evil space opera.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Do we know if every member of that species named, like, Bloodhunt Murderkill or is it just their hosed up family

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

if there's one thing Star Wars fans apparently loved is creatures with a multitude of sexual organs. :shrug:

Okay I’m only passingly familiar with the EU; is this a figure of speech of some sort or was it seriously populated with multidick aliens

I’d imagine the former but I’ve seen that guy with the lightsabers on his knees so I don’t know.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Mooey Cow posted:

It's also a real lovely way to mark time.

He didn’t have skin in TPM, so clearly in the sequel trilogy he should have gotten extra skin

Or whatever you call a droids outer covering. Shell? Case?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/ericfell/status/1194180485129199619?s=21

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Honestly Christensens acting is so sketchy in these movies that even if all that were made explicit by Anakin, there’s almost no chance it would have landed.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

happyhippy posted:

I posted earlier in the thread, he will be a force ghost standing beside Ghost Leia, Yoda, Rylo, Han, and Vader himself.
All giving Rey cheesy grins and big thumbs up.

This just skyrocketed to the top of my wish list for this movie, above even Execute Order 67

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

ungulateman posted:

malarkey maclunkey

This is the first time I had thought about maclunky in about 5 days, so an unironic thank you for reminding me that’s a thing

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

YaketySass posted:

They're all the same issue if you think about it.

Just double checking to make sure, it's whether star wars fans like star wars, right?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

This movie is going to have to do so much retconning of the last two films (mainly TLJ) that I doubt they will have time for much else before they have to shove in the finale

The opening scene is Luke waking up and saying "oh man I just had the weirdest dream. Well, time to rejoin the Star Wars!"

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Ah yes, Knights, those people who are usually thought of as thugs and scoundrels

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Dunno if anyone here follows Fake Theme Park but

https://twitter.com/fakethemepark/status/1205663710053912576?s=21

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Mooey Cow posted:

I hope that scene plays out exactly like a "We believe in you!!" cutscene all RPGs have before the final boss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmXQvMkamhQ

All the different lightsabers from all the different continuities come to help Rey defeat all the Death Star Star Destroyers.

There's precedent in other Disney owned properties.

EDIT: I know the joke's been made every time but reading the wikipedia plot summary for that game is like having a fever dream.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/12/15/has-disneys-star-wars-acquisition-been-a-failure.aspx

Lol they bet the farm on this. Where's the Phasma ride where you fall into a burning trash compactor?

Rise of the Resistance is forcing them to open the park an two or three hours ahead of posted time, the weirdo sign up system for passes to ride are gone within a couple hours every day, and - here's the important part - for the first time since Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey opened over at Universal, people are talking about how Disney might just have the best themed attraction ever. With Smuggler's Run, there was plenty of disappointment that the attraction was great but didn't really live up to potential. I'm not sure I've heard anything negative about Rise's substance.

I'm not saying this just to be contrarian, or to stan Disney Parks Division, just that I don't think the well is necessarily poisoned for Star Wars or even for sequel trilogy stuff. They just need to do good things with it. Which is easier said than done, but.

Pollyanna posted:

Isn’t there one Galaxy’s Edge in CA and one in FL?

That street performance sounds cool as poo poo, though. I’d go more often if the parks leaned more heavily into making it feel like a lived-in world than just an overgrown merch booth, that’s one of the reasons I got really sick of Disney growing up.

Yes - they're identical but Rise hasn't opened in California yet.

From most accounts, the degree to which people like Galaxy's Edge is proportional to the degree they think just walking around a place can be fun. To analogize with another park, if you think just wandering around the back half of Epcot soaking in the atmosphere is a good use of time, Galaxy's Edge is more likely to appeal to you than if you look at Morocco and scoff because there isn't an attraction.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 17, 2019

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

- there are a couple tanks with Snoke clones in them.

Did we know this? It's amazing.

This should have been called Episode IX: The Clone Wars 2: This time its Snoke

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Except he was allegedly brought on at the 11th hour to help save EP9 and had his own cut of the movie just a few weeks ago.

I dont know what I want except please god don’t give us a decade of fans demanding the REAL JJ/Lucas/Johnson/whatever cut

John Wick of Dogs posted:

#ReleaseTheLucasCut

gently caress

Mods plz change my name to Soy soaked doomcock TIA

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Comstar posted:

How did they know they needed the Knife after C-3P0 translated it? They know where they need to go, they don't know Chewie's alive, they don't have time to for this poo poo. Why did they go to the Star Destroyer?

Yeah They definitely knew chewie was alive, so they went to go save him.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

What was the super important thing that Finn wanted to tell Rey?

Apparently at some screening Q&A, JJ said it was that he was force sensitive, but that doesn’t make any sense because why would he be shy about saying that around Poe?

Look in your heart. You know what he was going to say.

Edit: sourcing is dubious as gently caress but here you go

https://twitter.com/ar1aster/status/1208293387310264320?s=21

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

Both Johnson and Abrams are BAAAADD writers.

Johnson wrote a bad star war but he isn't a bad writer on balance. Looper and Knives Out were good

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

dex_sda posted:

Fix the Canto Bight section to be not-awful...

e; You could also have Rey actually join at the end of the movie, would have made for an equally good cliffhanger, though I think leaving it ambiguous would have been better.

Canto Bight - and DJ, for that matter - get better if Rey takes Kylo up on his offer. Rey isn't privvy to it, but ostensibly Canto Bight and DJ exist to show the audience that the Star War is pointless and all those guns are being pointed at the wrong people. Given what we've seen up to that point (and honestly, now that we know how Skywalker turned out), Kylo is probably right - the past should burn. Like, the meme of TLJ is that the entire movie is about rejecting the past, but it really ends by very explicitly, repeatedly repudiating that idea. Rey slaps Kylo's hand away, Luke clowns on him, and Yoda saved the jedi textbooks.

My fan fic of the entire situation is that that script existed at some point, but for obvious reasons someone higher up said "absolutely loving not."

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

The Little Death posted:

I'm sure at least one EU book or video game or something must have thought about what would actually happen to a galaxy spanning empire if you cut the head off.

I thought that's what the first order was. Gratz you killed the Emperor but there's still a huge military apparatus. The "mystery" was who this Snoke guy was that stepped into the power vacuum, but I think the idea of FO as "the zombie remnants of the Empire's military might" works. It's one of the reasons I always hated the "but where did the first order come from?" criticism of TFA. I think it's sort of self evident.

Apparently the entire thing was way more stupid and convoluted than that, though.

TulliusCicero posted:

Someone brought this up in the thread earlier, but why use this Exogol place and not Korriban? Korriban is well known...

No its not, you're a much bigger star wars nerd than average movie viewer. Doing a call out to something established comes with baggage that I think a writer should be allowed to dodge if they want. Like, maybe JJ wanted to establish his own aesthetic for Exogol, which is fine, but if he had done that with a planet named Korriban there would have been some subset of the internet saying "why not just make up a new name? Why bother calling it Korriban?"

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's cool to see McGregor, Park, etc really embrace their involvement in the prequels. I wonder how the sequel cast will feel in a decade, although I doubt the sequels will receive the same sort of latter day appreciation that the prequels have gotten.

Obviously there’s no way of knowing for sure but episodes 2/3 are at least a reasonable-to-good story, poorly told. Hubris of the Jedi leading to the dual failures of the Emperor and Anakin’s fall.

I’m less sure about Rey’s story. Maaaybe hindsight makes everyone appreciate Ben’s arc a bit more?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Edit never mind I can midge it together in my head

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Slowpoke! posted:

Also this movie poo poo all over Rian Johnson. “A Jedi’s weapon deserves more respect.” They could have conveyed Rey’s conviction to stay on that planet a dozen different ways without taking such an overt dump on TLJ.

This comes up a lot in complaints about the movie but I don't get it. Luke's character arc in Jedi is to get to the point where he's ready to contribute to the fight, which is the opposite of where he is at the start. Of course his reaction to a lightsaber will be completely different.

Now if you want to talk about weird rejection of Johnson's contributions - lol @ Kylo randomly having the helmet soldered back together but this time it has red lines so you can buy another toy.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Sinteres posted:

having Snoke mock it and make Kylo embarrased to wear it does seem a bit insulting.

One of the little things I feel ran through the movies was this idea of the First Order, but especially Kylo Ren, as whiny little man-children. Bits of it show up in all 3 movies - Kylo's temper tantrums in TFA, Hux getting repeatedly clowned on and Kylo's mask being mocked in TFA, and it pays off with Hux betraying the FO because he has beefs with his boss.

Of course, this sort of characterization undercuts them as a threat, which may be why this movie only showed a bit of consequence and otherwise went back to the FO being a pretty serious faced enemy. I see the through line of "Kylo is an angry cosplayer" going through both JJ and Johnson's movies, which is...not something I can say about much of anything in these movies.

EDIT Shout outs to my wife who's reading this thread on the couch next to me. Thoughts on dinner?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

euphronius posted:

It was the effect Lucas was intending as a genre hallmark. He’s said this. Many people have said it. It’s clear 100x. It’s obvious he can get “non flat” performance from actors when he wants to. He intended her to be flat. People growing up with Tarantino don’t expect it or think it’s “right” to have non “naturalistic” readings but cinematic history is vast and “naturalistic” acting is one branch. It’s not right or wrong

Plenty of people have made fun of this already, but -

People write weird performances all the time. No human talks like the people talk in the Nolan Batman movies, in an Aaron Sorkin script, in a Kevin Smith script. There's room to defend those on the merits, though, without just saying "sounding super loving weird all the time is what they were going for."

Also I'm not sure how "I was trying for everyone to act like :geno: all the time" works with McGregor turning in a pretty solid performance throughout.

Anyway, I'm surprised to see AotC get so much love. Rewatching 2 and 3, I was struck by how the climax of 3 pretty much hit the mark and 2 just...sorta flopped around with potentially big impact moments. Like, Obi-Wan finding the army is presented in this very matter-of-fact way that belies the fact that there is some profoundly bad poo poo going on. He finds out someone is using a dead Jedi name to amass an unauthorized army and the reaction of 3 Jedi masters is "hm, that's not good, we'll keep an eye on that." Even when the clone army joins the fight, it's all played for spectacle until Yoda takes a moment to say "war were declared."

Konstantin posted:

Wasn't he enslaved by the Empire or was that an EU thing that was retconned out?

Still true. Solo establishes he met Han while being kept as a method of execution. He was chained up in a mud pit and thrown prisoners the Stormtroopers didn't like so he'd tear their arms off.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Episode 2 is a comedy, and one of the many jokes is that Obiwan doesn’t care about the clone army. He takes a tour of the facility and pretends to be interested in order to get closer to Jango Fett.

Keep in mind that the clones are not actually revealed to be ‘evil’ until Episode 3. In the context of Episode 2, the cloning facility is simply the place where Jango works.

As for being ‘unauthorized’, the creation of the clone army was actually fully authorized by The Senate. “Sifo Dyas”, to the extent that such a person ever existed, was acting as a liaison between The Senate and the ‘Cloners’. Nothing technically illegal was going on.

The other big joke is that Yoda pretends to have known about the Senate’s secret project all along, because otherwise he’d look like an idiot.

You're a bit sloppy here - usually your interpretations are least line up with the obvious beats of a movie, but this is just...wrong.

AotC ends with a wide shot of the Clone Army with the empire's theme playing over it. It's the most basic "evil" cue these movies have. We're supposed to know almost right away that the Clone Army represents something super bad.

Dyas started the creation of the army well before AotC (maybe more than a decade ago, since the Kamino PM doesn't seem too off put by being told he'd been dead for nearly that long) - and Palpatine doesn't green light it until getting emergency powers during the movie. Raising an army before one is authorized sounds...illegal? At the very least it should be more concerning. "Hey we have this army just sitting around at the perfect moment someone is pushing for creation of an army" should set off alarm bells with any number of characters, but instead everyone is just like "oh that's weird, welp, time to go fight a war at the behest of the guy with emergency powers."

Of course, if your position is that everyone being spectacularly stupid makes Episode 2 a lowkey comedy...well, I got nothin. I'd call it shoddy scripting but now we're into SMG argument mode.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

The coolest mindbreaking Jedi thing is: why do they have lightsaber fights? They have mind powers! They can just use their mind powers to yank the lightsaber out of their opponent's hands, or like if you see your opponent at the opposite end of a sports stadium, just launch your lightsaber at them and use your mind powers to make them fight your disembodied lightsaber. Or you can do the same thing if you're up close, and so can they, leading to an insane situation where you're both standing 50 feet apart with your disembodied lightsabers in the middle frantically parrying each other

I don't remember where I heard this, but I remember a fan theory that the reason the lightsaber fights in the OT weren't incredibly kinetic was because the actual intense struggle was happening through the force. So Obi-Wan and Vader were having a very intense struggle with their psychic powers with only relatively slight movements with the swords reflecting that.

Of course most of the fights are intensely choreographed, so it doesn't hold up, and honestly it's better for visual storytelling that way. But the idea that there are metaphysical battles happening alongside the physical ones is sorta interesting, I think.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Why would the emotion she feels when killing him even matter? He was trying to get her to kill him to save her friends at one point! Wouldn't that mean she killed him with the wrong emotion?!

"That's how we win. Not by fighting what we hate. Saving what we love."

Not sure what the difference is there, though.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ludicrous amounts of backstory that aren't supported by the source material in order to sell merch

Buddy this is like Star Wars 101

The sooner Star Wars fans achieve a Transformer Fan level of self-awareness, the better off we'll be I think.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

The Little Death posted:

Was that what that reveal was? I thought it was that she was like 15 or something. It seemed super weird and unnecessary, like haha you thought this big bad character we've set up was going to be a bad rear end, but she's a little girl!

E: Lol the actress is 21, so I guess the reveal really was "Holy poo poo, a lady!"

It was the same as the Kylo reveal - the movie talks up this fearsome threat you who sort of expect to at least look like they’ll gently caress you up, but nah it’s someone normal lookin.

It works less well when they keep playing the same trick (see also Poes friend in RoS)

The Little Death posted:

Never saw it. They brought him back for that too?

Yeah but it gave us the best lightsaber duel in the entire franchise and also the best named character in his brother, SAVAGE OPPRESS

I assume his name has to be bolded and all caps at all times.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Bounding Into Comics isn't exactly trustworthy.

Also after Justice League, I don’t trust any rumor that even hints at the existence of a different cut that drastically improves the film but *they* don’t want you to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I'm not sure I buy this.

Odd that Kennedy is so on board with "gently caress it, it's Sheev!"

Not an original thought, but reading this interview reminds me - my favorite part of the "well with Snoke dead we needed to come up with some other big bad" argument is that it just assumes Kylo Ren must get redeemed in this movie. It goes completely unchallenged in that article.

It's like the Jazzhands comic from Dominic Deegan. "Well of course he had to rape her, they were going to kill them both otherwise!" Sure, but you wrote the ultimatum, you could just...not do that.

General Dog posted:

Yeah Kylo’s lack of any discernible agenda beyond “he has to do bad things to level up, in pursuit of leveling up more” is a major writing failure for a character who we’re supposed to accept as nuanced.

Maybe they had just played Devil May Cry and thought "yeah that's a cool villain"