Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

That whole sequence just seemed like a way to make Leonidas seem more badass but whatever

You think it's badass to throw babies off a cliff? I think the problem lies more with the viewer than the movie in this case

Aside from that it also portrays people seeking peace as traitorous rapists and also coincidentally have the other traitor be a horribly disfigured hunchback, all the while portraying the invading persians as monstrous and inhuman.

At the end of the movie we find that this was all a tale narrated by one od the spartans, who i am absolutely sure was totally truthful and not at all embellished or twisted facts or outright lied.

You dummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Radical thought, they should try to make a movie that isn't a horrible, contradicting mess, or bland nostalgic pandering to grown manchildren

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

They did. Not the movies fault you didn’t like it.

They did not. TFA was clearly built around evoking the nostalgic "Star Wars feeling" at the expense of plot and character development, and TLJ constantly undermines its own themes. The slavery scene is a perfect example.

At least Lucas was interested in exploring other stories within the SW setting and take risks in an attempt to tell a compelling story. That's not going to happen now that Disney are in control

KVeezy3 posted:

Of course, The "Great Space Horse Liberation" was a pretense in facilitating their own escape, applied after-the-fact when they were no longer useful to The Resistance.

Right. They liberate the poor sentient animal but only after exploiting it for their own benefit. Meanwhile the enslaved children, which are of no use to the Rebellion, are left to languish at the hands of their cruel slave masters.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Episode III had the cleverest trick, i.e. its title. It is called "Revenge of the Sith" but there are no real, actual Sith in it because Palpatine is just pretending to be a Sith. He was tricking everyone and the audience was no exception (unless they were intelligent enough to recognise the deception).

My immediate reaction is to reject this assertion as you pulling it out of your sarlacc, and this reading is not borne out of the movie. But I'll bite.

What makes you think Sheevs is cosplaying as a sith?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

What have you done?

I pulled a Jar Jar and stepped in to the doo doo ofc

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah no, I'm not really sold on that, Wheat. Your evidence is very circumstantial, I'm gonna go ahead and say you're wrong.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Pops Mgee posted:

Chewy is gonna survive the moon this time.

Why. What does he contribute at this point? He's a dumb sidekick that's done almost nothing of worth in the ST. He was barely there in the OT. Just kill him off.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Preston Waters posted:

Would you shoot your dog because he just pisses and shits and eats?

wtf is wrong with you!?

This is the internet, so you will need to clarify if you're being serious or not so I should know if I should laugh at you

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

and much like TLJ you ultimately didn't subvert anything

lol

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah I dunno. I feel like using the word trigger in 2019 is pretty awful but whatevs.

Yeah, that word is like snowflake or virtue signaling, they're scarlet letters for chuds these days.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Just pretend I posted that pic of a dude with lightsabers coming out of his elbows and knees, or the one of Han Solo fighting an otter as a rebuttal

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I got you fam

bonus horsehead xwing pilot

Yeeesss :hfive:

....why is there a wookiepedia entry for spoons?! Do these nerds not know what a spoon is?

I can, however, totally understand that they wouldn't know what breasts are.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 4, 2019

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

episode ix but every time someone in the writer's room has a bad idea palpatine says 'do it!'

lol

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

galagazombie posted:

From my admittedly anecdotal experience it really does seem like Star Wars has been mortally wounded. People are just completely done with being fans of it after the past few debacles. Like even if you didn't hate TLJ you just don't care about the universe anymore.

It's true for me at least. I was pretty excited when I saw the yellow intro text scroll by in TFA, and I walked out pretty done with Star Wars, and TLJ just did the equivalent of a mercy killing of my love for the franchise

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

Let's be real, they just mean "negative opinions".

Yeah it seems kinda defensive comment for peoplenegatively judging it, as if we don't have 2 trainwrecks to go by

This on the other hand

AndyElusive posted:

Someone let this goon know that Jakku is Tatooine.

:hmmyes:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

YaketySass posted:

It tried to be KOTOR 2 and KOTOR 2 sucked.

Kotor 2 ruled you boob

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

YaketySass posted:

Yes, and the game has nothing real to oppose to her outside of: "Just try thinking for yourself, maaan. Have you, like, really looked at your hands?"

That whole bit was the game telling you via kreia to stop making choices based on what you think will give you the most desired color points and actually think for your self.

Polo-Rican posted:

TLJ has a lot of ambition and attempts to take star wars to places it's never been before, which is good and admirable, but large parts of the story make zero logical sense and it deals with a lot of its themes either awkwardly or badly. IMHO it's interesting and a cool project, and way better than TFA, but still pretty bad.

My thoughts exactly.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Just Chamber posted:

Well at least their critism of captain marvel was accurate in that Disney should have probably hired a decent actress instead of someone with negative on screen charisma to carry a franchise

Well that, and also that stan lee tribute she posted that made her look vaguely too into her self

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Just Chamber posted:

Hopefully, i'll wait and see how she does in Endgame because that's likely going to have much better directing and writing behind it.

I'd say this is a really dubious claim if Infinity war is anything to go by

precision posted:

Brie Larson is no less dumb than Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise, I wonder what makes her a bigger target for nerds... hmmm...

:thunk:

Yeah, it's not like Tom has gotten tons of flack for his weirdo beliefs over the years, or the dumb oprah stunt of his

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

RLMs bitching about Clones was that the romance didn't make sense, as in why is amidala being a senator a hindrance to her loving anakin, and also why is she wearing a bdsm leather outfit while saying it, and inferred that this was because george lucas hated women and romances because of his own failures in his love life, which is a totally sane thing to imply.

They also claimed that the only reason GL cast SLJ as Windu was to get more black people to watch the movie (and then made a crack about black people stealing their tv.

Also they totally miss any part that deals with the jedi being myopic dummies. They juxtapose Obi-wan bitching out Anakin for losing his saber with Yoda in empire saying a lightsaber is not that important, claiming that GL missed the point of his own movies.

RLM is trash, is what I'm saying

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

You ever seen someone order a well done cheeseburger at a nice restaurant? That’s Solo. The cooks made it, and it was probably fairly good! Then the person who ordered it saw that pink, and sent it back to be roasted into a shoe.

Solo: The saddest cheeseburger.

:hmmyes:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mooey Cow posted:

What about the guy who made a trilogy of 2-hour videos to explain why TLJ is bad?

Uuugh. Can't stand those obnoxious videos. At the very least edit that poo poo down to 30 minutes or so, and I say that as someone who dislikes tlj

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Is Preston backpedaling or moving the goalposts? Or both?

I'm of two minds about the lightspeed kamikaze. On one hand, that scene was friggin awesome, and nitpicking the tactical stuff is kinda silly.

On the other hand, it's one of those things that really take you out of the movie in a "wait, why hasn't anyone done this before?" kind of way. It's something I think was assumed you couldn't do because it utterly breaks the setting. Why bother with star destroyers when you can just use a light speed rail gun across the solar system?
It's like if jedi could force grip the blood vessels in your brain or heart. There's no reason they shouldn't be able too, but it fucks the story up when you introduce powers like that.

Or saber fights, where someone turns a lightsaber off midswing. Or using lightspeed to bypass planetary shields (gently caress you, abrams). It's lazy storytelling imo.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Preston Waters posted:

Yea it kind of expects you to be half-way intelligent so you can fill in the blanks on your own. Odd, I know.

I was similarly outraged that ANH didn't explain the Galactic government in detail other than telling us that the Senate had just been abolished. Empire.

This is a dumb argument because you're comparing the blank slate of ANH with TFA which takes place in a heavily explored universe and therefore the has different standards for setting the proverbial stage, and explaining what the hell is going on, which they purposfully failed so they could have hooks to sell their other gaudy merchandising like books or videogames or whatever poo poo they're trying to sell.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm surprised they haven't killed him off in the ST, he doesn't really do anything anyways now. Just give him a noble sacrifice and be done with it. Hell, take the falcon with him, that ship is more tethered to Han and Chewie anyways

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jewel Repetition posted:

https://twitter.com/dumbidot1/status/1145689449881395200

Personally I don't think it would be sexist if Rey was a virgin because every male Star Wars protagonist was a virgin

Why is she talking about Rey's dildos? I'm pretty sure no ones asked Driver or Boyega about their flesh lights, like it's a topic that should be beneath consideration.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Yes, really. Justice League and BvS.

Not Justice league. The justice league that was released is a fundamentally different movie from what Chris Terrio and Zack Snyder worked on.

The only reason I would consider seeing the next star wars movie would be due to Terrio, but honestly it doesn't matter who they get because anything remotely interesting in the script will be sanded down to make the film as boring and uncontroversial as possible

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The MSJ posted:

I just find it funny that someone posted an entire essay about an Aztec-looking set at Pinewood they thought was for Episode 9 reshoots but the next day they found out it was for a Marvel movie instead.

Gotta get them clicks

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gonz posted:

Who the gently caress knows anymore.

No one is going to remark that this tosser compares the saber toss with "calling it back like Thor"? What a wanker

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

The prequels were way too boring to achieve transformers level stupidity. Only JJ is fit to deliver us to a final brain death

edit: With an assist from the screenwriter of batman v superman and justice league, just to seal the deal

BvS rules though, and it's the only part that gives me hope that ep9 won't be a shitshow of lunar proportions (except it will because of JJ and meddling disney suits)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

KaptainKrunk posted:

The sequels are just a mistake on every level.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, come on:

That's literally Iger saying that they made empty movies intentionally because it's what the fans wanted.

"fans wanted nostalgia to jerk them off to completion while wearing Leias gold bikini, and boy howdy did we give them exactly what they wanted!"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

objectivity is when someone is really swole and you agree with what they say while thinking "woah they swole" right?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Horizon Burning posted:

Jango calls him Darth Tyranus when he's talking with Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan brings it up to Yoda who confirms it is a Sith title. "With the forename Darth, a Sith he must be."

I must have blocked it out, on account of how dumb that sounds

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Darth TearMyAnus

Also god drat are all the jedi really loving dumb

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Also Yoda burning the sacred texts except psyke Ray already took them.

What a loving disaster of a movie

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

JJ, buddy, we know you looked at what came before. We know because you plagiarized it wholesale

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

sassassin posted:

This is such a cowardly response to someone disagreeing with you. You're trying to avoid a charge of idiocy on a technicality.

"Bench press was, is and will never be a great chest builder." Hold up. You're blowing my mind here, you telling me bench press sucks for chest? You need to elaborate on this.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

bench press is a good chest builder, but alien titty milk is a GREAT chest builder

So you're saying I need to start juicing on dem alien titty milk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

sassassin posted:

Do cable flies and other fly variations if you want big juicy muscular titties.

Cable flies and alien tit milk. Got it. Juicy mantits, here I come

Edit: Quite possibly the worst snipe ever