Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

DurianGray posted:

I just had to flip through my copy. What exactly do you mean by it having a split ending? Just like the last chapter and then the epilogue? I read it as the house (fascism) not necessarily always having as much control as it thinks it does, but that doesn't mean it's not still a threat. Even when you 'win' against it, you still have to stay vigilant since it's always there as background radiation. I think there's also the sort of note of hope with the line of the award-winning photograph, (it also says "They don't know that yet." which implies they lived), something came out of it that hopefully moved people.
I think I saw the chapter before the final chapter / epilogue where Ila bleaches her skin and Alice disembowels herself as an alternate ending to the one where they escape, similar to the split vision that accompanies their initial journey into the house with Hannah. I completely agree with your read though. Very excited for Brainwyrms!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

zoux posted:

Do you guys ever get actually scared by literature? I was thinking about this, I'm not sure that I've ever been scared by a book in the same way I have been by scary movies, in that "I'm a grown rear end man but I don't feel comfortable going to bed tonight with my closet door open" sense. I certainly find horror compelling, thrilling, interesting, disturbing, and other such reactions, and I feel anxiety or fear for characters in these stories, but idk why books just don't scare me.

If you have been really spooked by a book or story, what was it?

I had a horrible nightmare after reading the first chunk of The Day of the Triffids, which is a really compelling depiction of societal breakdown (it's a shame the second half is just the "ten women for every man!" scene from Dr Strangelove played straight).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Halfway through Library of Mount Char - which fuckin owns - and would you guys call that urban fantasy or horror

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

zoux posted:

Halfway through Library of Mount Char - which fuckin owns - and would you guys call that urban fantasy or horror

Dark fantasy I guess? It has some horror elements but I wouldn't call it a horror novel. That was a fun book.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

zoux posted:

It's sui generis baby

e: Americana horror with curtis lemay characteristics

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

zoux posted:

I did read a book one time that promised a monster at the end...but I was too scared to go on

you’re joking but as a kid this was my first experience with a frisson of enjoyable dread and I probably wouldn’t be into horror novels now if it wasn’t for that

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

you’re joking but as a kid this was my first experience with a frisson of enjoyable dread and I probably wouldn’t be into horror novels now if it wasn’t for that

Hell me too, that book imprinted a love of horror on my child brain, I think

KittenJucerSupreme
Feb 12, 2023

by the sex ghost

gey muckle mowser posted:

Dark fantasy I guess? It has some horror elements but I wouldn't call it a horror novel. That was a fun book.

I picked up Mount Char because the John Dies At The End guy recced on it on the blurb and it rules. Its not "horror" in some ways and is in others but I'd settle on dark fantasy too.

Bilirubin posted:

The last time I got scared while reading was around the same age and it was a haunted house story in a Rod Sterling's Twilight Zone anthology.

Although I can creep myself out while winding down for bed reading so called experiencer's stories on Reddit, just gets the imagination juices flowing too much before dream time

I don't get scared by like monsters jumping out of a closet or anything while reading, but books can do existential horror better than any other medium- while I've mentioned it, John Dies is just kinda weird and funny and chaotic when there's a monster around but when characters think or talk about suicidal ideation or how we live in a society its scary.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I just want to apologize for being cunty about The Strange. It has some charm to it. It's hard to live up to NALM and Wounds, especially in a genre I normally avoid

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

After 14 loving years, Mike Carey is finally releasing a new Felix Castor book in July.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is Eyes of the Dragon ok for an 11 year old? I remember it being pretty all ages but it's been over 20 years since I read it so I don't remember much

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Avram Davidson's The Boss in The Wall: A Treatise on the House Devil which I've recommended numerous times in this thread is free on Amazon for the next 5 days.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Avram Davidson's The Boss in The Wall: A Treatise on the House Devil which I've recommended numerous times in this thread is free on Amazon for the next 5 days.

It's good and pretty unique, I also heartily recommend it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Opopanax posted:

Is Eyes of the Dragon ok for an 11 year old? I remember it being pretty all ages but it's been over 20 years since I read it so I don't remember much

Steven King? There's sex stuff iirc. Like weird king style sex stuff but not the sewer orgy

I think I might still have my copy it's probably not work the ~60-75% of my stuff that got destroyed, so if you want I can double check

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 24, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Steven King? There's sex stuff iirc. Like weird king style sex stuff but not the sewer orgy

I think I might still have my copy it's probably not work the ~60-75% of my stuff that got destroyed, so if you want I can double check

I have one just debating giving it to him, he's going through a fantasy and horror phase. I'm going to reread it anyways I just have a few books on my list first before I'll get to it.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Opopanax posted:

I have one just debating giving it to him, he's going through a fantasy and horror phase. I'm going to reread it anyways I just have a few books on my list first before I'll get to it.

If he's in that phase then yeah, just give it to him. Kids are very good at feeling out whether they're ready for a book or not, and they will drop it without hesitation if they're not. You can't do any harm here. They're also usually much more ready for books than adults tend to think they are, and if it's pushing their boundaries a little (but not too much, in which case they'll abandon it), they tend to appreciate it - at least, this has been my experience with kids who like to read enough that they go through genre phases.

Edit: Tying back to the earlier discussion of getting scared by literature, reading Lovecraft and King at around 11-12 definitely scared me, but I liked it, because it was scary in a way I was completely in control over. I'd get too spooked and just put the book down for a while, play some Final Fantasy or what-have-you, and a little while later I'd be good to go again and excited to do so.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 24, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

OTOH usually when I give him a book it just sits on his shelf for a few months while he does yet another reread of Calvin and Hobbes so he'll probably age into it by the time he reads it

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If it helps I distinctly recall that the king eats a booger in that book

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i remember some chick not knowing what a dick was while about to get hosed, the magician purposefully hyperventilating to avoid dying while cooking the magic allegory for meth or w/e, and the prince escaping by climbing a rope made of his own hair (maybe?) which broke

i don't remember the dragon

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Just started reading ligotti for the first time, a dual collection of songs of a dead dreamer and grimscribe.

It sometimes is terribly, awesomely effective and I love it. And then it whiplashes into what I can only describe as wankery? Like, of the worst kind. The nyctalops poo poo was really awful, although the second part with the corpse magicians assistant was kind of fun once you peeled back the awful prose.

I'm going to keep going but so far it's been 1 or two hits for 3 or 4 duds

Edit I guess when you think about it, that's not a completely bad hit rate. Are there collections out there where it's just banger after banger? Even barron who is my favorite has some absolute dreck.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Opopanax posted:

OTOH usually when I give him a book it just sits on his shelf for a few months while he does yet another reread of Calvin and Hobbes so he'll probably age into it by the time he reads it

If my own childhood is anything to judge by, the trick is to leave books with interesting covers out on a table somewhere and, when asked what it is, to feign indifference.

Also, your son has excellent taste, well done.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i remember some chick not knowing what a dick was while about to get hosed, the magician purposefully hyperventilating to avoid dying while cooking the magic allegory for meth or w/e, and the prince escaping by climbing a rope made of his own hair (maybe?) which broke

i don't remember the dragon

That's because it's a trophy mounted on the wall.

The sex scene in Eyes of the Dragon is decidedly weird because King wrote the book for his daughter so she'd have a book of his that she could enjoy. But that's the Cocaine Years for you.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

zoux posted:

Half way through this as well, is fun.

I also finished blindsight.. that was pretty fun.... Highly technically poo poo go through your going to need to know about scramjets and other hard science to have an idea of what's going on in summer sections. They don't explain a lot of it just make drop the theoretical tech that that's been used in sci-fi novels for years

Both are fairly short I was able to get through them both this weekend but I was reading hours a day.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 24, 2023

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

fez_machine posted:

Maybe it’s because I’m on my phone right now, but I checked thru the Amazon app & the Kindle app and it doesn’t seem to be free.

EDIT: Weird; it worked using Safari & just going to Amazon there. Thanks & good looking out!

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 24, 2023

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Just started reading ligotti for the first time, a dual collection of songs of a dead dreamer and grimscribe.

It sometimes is terribly, awesomely effective and I love it. And then it whiplashes into what I can only describe as wankery? Like, of the worst kind. The nyctalops poo poo was really awful, although the second part with the corpse magicians assistant was kind of fun once you peeled back the awful prose.

I'm going to keep going but so far it's been 1 or two hits for 3 or 4 duds

Edit I guess when you think about it, that's not a completely bad hit rate. Are there collections out there where it's just banger after banger? Even barron who is my favorite has some absolute dreck.

imo these are his least enjoyable collections and you should just put them down and read Teatro Grottesco or The Conspiracy Against The Human Race

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I had the same experience but ultimately I stuck with those collections and I’m glad I did, because even though Ligotti is sometimes simply jerking off for all to see a bunch of the stories are really memorable and cool and make you want to play a horror TTRPG campaign in them

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Skyscraper posted:

imo these are his least enjoyable collections and you should just put them down and read Teatro Grottesco or The Conspiracy Against The Human Race

I'd agree they're both weaker than Teatro Grottesco but I don't think they should be skipped entirely, they both have some really great stories, unfortunately I can never remember which ones are the good ones and which are skippable. Even some of the worse ones can be enjoyable if you read them in the context that they're what you get when Ligotti is being "playful" or as close to it as he can get.

Songs of a Dead Dreamer is the weaker of the two iirc, I know Grimscribe has Nethescurial and The Last Feast of the Harlequin which are both good, there are a few other ones too

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

MockingQuantum posted:

I'd agree they're both weaker than Teatro Grottesco but I don't think they should be skipped entirely, they both have some really great stories, unfortunately I can never remember which ones are the good ones and which are skippable. Even some of the worse ones can be enjoyable if you read them in the context that they're what you get when Ligotti is being "playful" or as close to it as he can get.

Songs of a Dead Dreamer is the weaker of the two iirc, I know Grimscribe has Nethescurial and The Last Feast of the Harlequin which are both good, there are a few other ones too

I agree with you but if someone is starting out reading Ligotti I'd rather they start by enjoying his best work than get turned away by a very mixed bag.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Skyscraper posted:

I agree with you but if someone is starting out reading Ligotti I'd rather they start by enjoying his best work than get turned away by a very mixed bag.

Oh that's fair, I missed the post that started the discussion. Yeah in that case it's Teatro Grottesco hands-down

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The last bigass Ligotti collection I read included one of his stories twice in a row. I kept waiting for some mind melting time is a flat circle twist on the second one but it was just the same thing twice :(

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Teattro Grotesco has that scene with the woman dipping hot dogs into mayo which literally makes me nauseous when I think about it

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

zoux posted:

Do you guys ever get actually scared by literature? I was thinking about this, I'm not sure that I've ever been scared by a book in the same way I have been by scary movies, in that "I'm a grown rear end man but I don't feel comfortable going to bed tonight with my closet door open" sense. I certainly find horror compelling, thrilling, interesting, disturbing, and other such reactions, and I feel anxiety or fear for characters in these stories, but idk why books just don't scare me.

If you have been really spooked by a book or story, what was it?

Okay I thought of a good answer. Smear by Brian Evanson really freaks me out. It's not hide in my room under my covers scared but it makes me intensely uncomfortable. It's short, give it a read.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
The Dreamer/Grimscribe collection is front loaded with the weakest stories. I don't know whose idea it was to put Frolic first but I've never met anyone who liked it. I have a soft spot for Dr Thoss and Dream of a Manikin, but I don't think it gets good until Masquerade of a Dead Sword.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Did the Mother Horse Eyes reddit guy ever put out a book? I accept that some of the mystique is lost when it's removed from the format of connected, wild flash fiction couched in the comments of r/Biking, but I liked his style and the world he built.

Opopanax posted:

You should follow his example. Calvin and Hobbes is eternal. (i'm stoked for whatever that new comic Watterson's got coming out in October turns out to be)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
did i first hear about conjunctions from the forums or somewhere else??? drat.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

MockingQuantum posted:

See, I'd argue for Ligotti as a genuinely very playful writer who does a surprising amount of pastiche and homage, but like you say, I think that accounts for some of his weakest and his best work alike.

Some of his best stuff in TG (I think!) is heavily influenced by the playfulness of the European theatre of the absurd - in particular Ligotti seems to fall in love with the idea of a nameless Kafkaesque protagonist or community that gets swept up in a bizarre system of rules and procedures and ends up accepting the truly unacceptable, and he has a ton of fun with the inhumanity of modern corporate jargon as well: The Town Manager, Our Temporary Supervisor, In A Foreign Town, In A Foreign Land are great starting places for his work, but they're also genuinely very funny.

But you also have these very baroque and stylised pieces about Poe-inspired villains whose function is usually to expound on a pessimistic philosophy at length as they defeat or devour the helpless protagonist (The Frolic would be the very first and worst example), and they generally end up being...at times a little twee, which is a weird descriptor to hang on an author who's usually considered the bleakest of the bleak.

I generally know instantly if I'm going to like a Ligotti story or not, because the ones that don't work for me are the ones about eccentric and mysterious professors, pretentious serial killers and puppet-makers, whose names are often openly silly and ornate in an Edward Gorey or Lemony Snicket way. Grimscribe, Dr Voke and Mr Veech, Severini...

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I rarely see it mentioned in this thread, but I quite enjoyed My Work Is Not Yet Done too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Okay I thought of a good answer. Smear by Brian Evanson really freaks me out. It's not hide in my room under my covers scared but it makes me intensely uncomfortable. It's short, give it a read.

Oh, that's what happens during a jaunt.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Frolic is one of my favorite Ligotti stories and I’ve read all of his collections multiple times. I don’t understand the hate for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

General Battuta posted:

That was a good read but I can't help but feel that dissociating so totally would be a pretty good way to ride out your time given the circumstances.