Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

I would really like something in the vein of Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury and Hell House by Richard Matheson. Not that the two are overly similar, but both are favorites of mine and I have a hard time finding something that hits those highs. Lovely prose, macabre ideas, inventive imagery, serious tone but still fun. The last horror book that really knocked my socks off was Blatty's The Exorcist.

Any suggestions for me, friends?

I've read Shirley Jackson and Stephen King.
The Shadow Year by Jeffrey Ford is pretty close to Something Wicked in tone, I think. Very different writing style obviously, but the setting is similar and it deals with similar themes. Not sure if it counts as horror, although it is a ghost story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Franchescanado posted:

I would really like something in the vein of Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury and Hell House by Richard Matheson. Not that the two are overly similar, but both are favorites of mine and I have a hard time finding something that hits those highs. Lovely prose, macabre ideas, inventive imagery, serious tone but still fun. The last horror book that really knocked my socks off was Blatty's The Exorcist.

Ghost Story by Peter Straub.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Ghost Story by Peter Straub.

Weird question, but when does this get into the Ghost part of the Ghost Story? I read the first chapter last weekend on a whim trying to find something new to read and it was seemingly a kidnapping story? I liked it, but it was not at all what I was expecting with the title and blurb.

Thanks for the suggestion!

anilEhilated posted:

The Shadow Year by Jeffrey Ford is pretty close to Something Wicked in tone, I think. Very different writing style obviously, but the setting is similar and it deals with similar themes. Not sure if it counts as horror, although it is a ghost story.

Thank you! It sounds good. I'll look for a copy.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Franchescanado posted:

Weird question, but when does this get into the Ghost part of the Ghost Story? I read the first chapter last weekend on a whim trying to find something new to read and it was seemingly a kidnapping story? I liked it, but it was not at all what I was expecting with the title and blurb.

Pretty quickly, and it does a real good job of building an overwhelming sense of dread.

Book-ruining spoilers: Sadly it goes off the rails a bit. By the end the seventy-year-old protagonist is chopping up shapeshifters with an axe in a cinema playing Night of the Living Dead and I kind of switched off

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Jeffrey Ford wrote a strange "sequel" to Moby Dick called Ahab's Return... anybody check it out? I was pulled in by the initial story- finding out that Ahab never died and actually had a son to reconnect with. I did feel like the idea fizzled out before the end... Curious if anyone else has read it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

escape artist posted:

Jeffrey Ford wrote a strange "sequel" to Moby Dick called Ahab's Return... anybody check it out? I was pulled in by the initial story- finding out that Ahab never died and actually had a son to reconnect with. I did feel like the idea fizzled out before the end... Curious if anyone else has read it.
It's on my TBR. I absolutely adore the Well-built City trilogy and have been slowly working my way through his other stuff due to that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Franchescanado posted:

It turns into a ghost story surprisingly quickly, even if nothing supernatural happens for a while.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

I've read Shirley Jackson and Stephen King.

Have you checked out what Valancourt Press is publishing?
https://www.valancourtbooks.com/horror.html

Michael McDowell is a perennial thread favourite. Particularly Blackwater.

I love their Robert Westall reissues.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

fez_machine posted:

Have you checked out what Valancourt Press is publishing?
https://www.valancourtbooks.com/horror.html

Michael McDowell is a perennial thread favourite. Particularly Blackwater.

I love their Robert Westall reissues.

I’ll check out that link. I’ve only read McDowell’s The Amulet, which was awesome and pretty spot on with the vibe. Blackwater’s a bit of a beast in length, cuz it’s a few books, so I haven’t made the plunge yet.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

I’ll check out that link. I’ve only read McDowell’s The Amulet, which was awesome and pretty spot on with the vibe. Blackwater’s a bit of a beast in length, cuz it’s a few books, so I haven’t made the plunge yet.
It flows like a river. Great book.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Franchescanado posted:

The Elementals is great too. And it's far less daunting, size-wise, than Blackwater.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cold Moon Over Babylon is also great and short

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
Blackwater is surprisingly easy reading for something so big, to the point where sticking to the individual novels it was published as would feel weird to me. Maybe it’s the rhythms of the family saga aspect.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

escape artist posted:

What’s the point of Ahab if he doesn’t die? I don’t come to the Ahab shop for personal growth.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Blackwater is a masterpiece

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Drunkboxer posted:

What’s the point of Ahab if he doesn’t die? I don’t come to the Ahab shop for personal growth.

turns out he was a ghost

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Blackwater is a masterpiece

I will never not quote a statement like this.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I keep trying to read Boys in the Valley by Fracassi but everytime I get to the epigraph where he uses a My Chemical Romance lyric, I go "what the gently caress am I doing?" and read something else.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

escape artist posted:

I keep trying to read Boys in the Valley by Fracassi but everytime I get to the epigraph where he uses a My Chemical Romance lyric, I go "what the gently caress am I doing?" and read something else.

That bit irritated me so much that I used calibre to edit that out of the epub. It is thematic to the plot in the end, but man. To put that below this quote in the same epigraph?

“When I am asked how many demons there are, I answer with the words that the demon himself spoke through a demonic:

‘We are so many that, if we were visible, we would darken the sun.’”
—FATHER GABRIELE AMORTH, CHIEF EXORCIST OF THE VATICAN"

Oof.

Arithmophobia: An Anthology of Mathematical Horror by Robert Lewis

quote:

“Arithmophobia,” n.: The fear of numbers or mathematics.
Whether you love mathematics or find it terrifying, this anthology of original tales of terror is sure to send a chill down your spine. With an unlucky thirteen brand new horror stories and a bonus poem in case any readers suffer from triskaidekaphobia, these pages combine the talents of some of the genre’s most experienced award-winning practitioners of terror and some of the literary world’s most promising new voices.
Featuring contributions by Elizabeth Massie, Miguel Fliguer, Mike Slater, Patrick Freivald, Liz Kaufman, Damon Nomad, Sarah Lazarz, Martin Zeigler, Josh Snider, Rivka Crowbourne, Joe Stout, Brian Knight, Wil Forbis, David Lee Summers, and Maxwell I. Gold.
These stories tell us of strange and horrifying new geometries, crazed and violent mathematicians, sentient and malevolent numbers, and even some new mathematical twists on some classic monsters. You needn’t be a mathematician to experience these new forms of mathematical terror, though students of the discipline might recognize some familiar names and ideas lurking in the shadows.
So pull up a chair, dust off your abacus and slide rule, and prepare to experience…

Includes:
One Two Buckle My Shoe by Elizabeth Massie
Splinters by Miguel Fliguer and Mike Slater
Manifold Thoughts by Patrick Freivald
Real Numbers by Liz Kaufman
Eratosthenes Map by Damon Nomad
They’ll Say It Was The Communists by Sarah Lazarz
Trains Passing by Martin Zeigler
Asymmetrical Dreams by Josh Snider
Critical Mass by Rivka Crowbourne
Lost and Found by Joe Stout
A Strange Thing Happened at the Coffee Shop by Brian Knight
Solve for X by Wil Forbis
A Presence Beyond the Shadows by David Lee Summers
The Ghosts of the Spiral by Maxwell I Gold

Someone who is not in a reading slump [not me] please read this and report back. Math horror? Ain't that just regular math? HEYOO wakka wakkka!!

szary
Mar 12, 2014

escape artist posted:

It's an okay book, but nothing special. It also felt like low-key Christian propaganda, but maybe I'm reaching here.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

value-brand cereal posted:

All I can think of is the SCP article about an equation that, when solved, manifests a grizzly bear at your location. Not as a magic ritual or anything, just because the mathematically correct answer is somehow "grizzly bear."

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

That bit irritated me so much that I used calibre to edit that out of the epub. It is thematic to the plot in the end, but man. To put that below this quote in the same epigraph?

“When I am asked how many demons there are, I answer with the words that the demon himself spoke through a demonic:

‘We are so many that, if we were visible, we would darken the sun.’”
—FATHER GABRIELE AMORTH, CHIEF EXORCIST OF THE VATICAN"

Oof.

Someone who is not in a reading slump [not me] please read this and report back. Math horror? Ain't that just regular math? HEYOO wakka wakkka!!

Interesting, love some cosmic horror based on weird numbers!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Jorge Luis Borges does the best mathematical stories and I couldn't imagine anyone else doing anything remotely as interesting.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

UwUnabomber posted:

Stephen King's short story collections have some real bangers.

John Connolly's Nocturnes is excellent. (As is The Book of Lost Things, but that's not a collection.)

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 20, 2024

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Finally got around to reading this, and it was excellent. Way more even than most anthologies; there's no Butcher's Table level stuff but they're all at least "really good".

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

escape artist posted:

Jorge Luis Borges does the best mathematical stories and I couldn't imagine anyone else doing anything remotely as interesting.

I like Greg Egan for fiction about weird math I can’t understand

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

tuyop posted:

I like Greg Egan for fiction about weird math I can’t understand

What's a good starting place? Never heard of this fellow but skimming his Wiki has me intrigued.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

escape artist posted:

What's a good starting place? Never heard of this fellow but skimming his Wiki has me intrigued.

The Best of Greg Egan

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

escape artist posted:

Diaspora is my favorite. It’s about sentient digital beings and really digs into questions about time and consciousness and identity. The main character is like, a mathematician and that frames the whole story.

I also really loved Quarantine. It has elements of existential and body horror throughout. It’s kind of a detective noir in a near future world where the solar system has been surrounded by a force field. The main character is investigating a disappearance and the case takes lots of wild turns. Big themes of consciousness and free will due to the protagonist’s various neural implants and stuff. the Copenhagen interpretation plays a big role.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

This was not good. Opens with three decent ones and the rest is pretty much drivel, e.g.:

Real Numbers, by Liz Kaufman posted:

Numbers are real. And they are watching us very, very closely.

lol

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Wachter posted:

This was not good. Opens with three decent ones and the rest is pretty much drivel, e.g.:

lol

I didn't think it would be good :lol: There are so many of these themed anthologies coming out.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Wachter posted:

lol

Reading this in the Ralph Wiggum "and I saw the baby and the baby looked at me" cadence

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Has anyone else seen these Encyclopocalypse movie novelization books? They seem to be novel versions/expansions of classic horror movies and I only noticed them because Jeff Strand wrote a take on Attack of the Killer Tomatoes that ended up in my recommendations feed. For the movies based on books like the stephen king ones, it looks like just radio plays or scripts, but for original stuff like Reanimator, Wishmaster, and the mentioned Attack of the Killer Tomatoes it has some additions from the author doing the novelization. There's like 20 of these.

I'd have probably never noticed them if Jeff Strand didn't write one, but clicking through the amazon series links they all seem to have decently good reviews and I guess I could be down for a reading an adaptation of Wishmaster or some poo poo on a sunday afternoon?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Between Two Fires loving RULED! Hell yeah!!!!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Wachter posted:

Between Two Fires loving RULED! Hell yeah!!!!

now you get to experience the true horror--finding out that there's basically nothing else quite like it out there

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

There are, just not in the same medium.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The General Horror Book Thread: Between Two Fires loving RULED! Hell yeah!!!!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ravus Ursus posted:

True, there's a lot out there with a similar vibe but I've basically never run into another novel that scratches the same itch

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

It reminded me of Glen Cook's trilogy that begins with The Black Company (I forget what it's called), but Fires is more polished. I found both by searching for "books that feel like Soulsbornes" and they both fit the bill of underequipped protagonists battling unimaginable evil and despair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ravus Ursus posted:

Well?