Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

agradine posted:

There are some other minor changes, but these are the biggest ones you'll most likely encounter

And the one I learned last year that drove me and my Berserkers completely insane: Liquid Flame is in the back row. For no loving reason. She just is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
My hottest FJF take: Natural runs can be fun! They make you think outside the box a lot and can give you some appreciation for really under-appreciated jobs like Dragoon and, yes, Red Mage. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the only real big problem with a Natural run is getting a party that has no way to take a few Almagests, thus necessitating a lot of endgame grinding for HP. But that's only been one of my four Natural runs so far (the party was Black / Red / Summoner / Berserker).

Still literally the only thing I'd do to rebalance the game: swap Muddle / Confuse and Shell in White levels, making Shell level 3. That's it!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

The entire point of FFV and the job system is mixing and matching what you have and Natural rips that out.

It's antithetical to the entire point of the game, and adds pointless tedium if you get stuck with poo poo jobs.

I mean, if you're going to make the argument that the point of the game is to mix and match, it is sort of hard to suggest that the Four Job Fiesta, which limits you to mixing and matching only four jobs, is in line with the point of the game. But video games are for fun and you can have fun playing it any way you want!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Nasgate posted:

I'd like to add that Double Lance gets the Jump! double damage, putting it on par with the Chicken Knife for damage.
And the buff to magic splitting makes reflecting off your party even more effective
Thief owns because you get Dash all the time

In general, anyone ask me about mobile, I've done all 11 of my Fiesta runs on mobile like a madman. I did 7 last year and plan on topping that.

I am another person who has only ever played the game (and done now 17 FJF runs over three years) on my iPhone. And yes, Thief jumps up two full tiers in the Matrix versions for dash and for being able to auto-battle Flee, which is the only good way (along with Smoke) to grind out the Chicken Knife and which will speed up your runs by a power of ten. Having a Thief or Ninja really, really helps a Matrix version run.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Yes but you cannot fast forward the mobile version, thus setting Flee (or Smoke) to auto-battle is the only reasonable way to power up the Chicken Knife. Honestly in three years I've probably fully powered up the CK maybe three times.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Nasgate posted:

Ive been lucky to get thief pretty much all the time. Especially with getting bm/goon so i could hold a sand bear in place and steal the 4th best spear before beating w1

Similarly thief+zerk for an early gaia hammer.

And man does having a Thief make having a Dancer tolerable in W2 (tiaras in the Ruins). Thieves are great! They make everyone better!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Cattail Prophet posted:

Just lol if your chicken knife isn't already at full power by the time you pick it up.

You know, this isn't the first time I've seen this comment in these threads over the years, and it makes me wonder if a) the encounter rate is significantly lower in the Matrix versions, or b) the calculation for the Chicken Knife is different. Because I have never gotten to the CK with it even remotely close to full power, and I almost never fight anything unless I'm grinding.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
That's a rough Atomos fight but once you can get off the ground in W2 you can get Swift Song, which means if you're patient enough you can beat anything. Come in with the White dead, set the Thief and Bard singing, then knock them out of it when you're fast enough and start hacking away. The Thief can have a Double Lance from the statues in the basement so he'd be your main damage, and either the Bard or the Geomancer can have the Dancing Dagger, that would probably work better than anything else.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Well, guess what I just found out I can do on the iOS version!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Well, let's see what FORBIDDEN is all about! Not going to risk with it, though.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

Can I interest you in a proof that, at level 35 and assuming zero defense, a Blue Mage with Equip Swords is better off gunching with the Brave Blade than casting Aeroga with a wind-boosting weapon? :v:

Preempting this crucial analysis to say that even if the BB punch does more damage, it probably won't be so much of a difference to excuse tying up an ability slot that could be used for many, many other things. But I guess in this scenario you have a Blue Mage so just about all your bases are covered anyway!

Also fact or fiction: Goblin Punch always calculates the BB at full power no matter what, right? And the opposite for the CK?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

derra posted:

Level 80. Party:

Bard
Bard
Bard
Bard

How many Fight commands on average does it take to kill Omega?

I guess you can assume capped Str and Level before the blows come in.

Finally a place for the Matrix versions to shine! Level 255 will put the punch damage range to 3-63, which by Kyrosiris's math puts the average damage at 132! So you only need to hit him 421 times! Of course Stop on Omega in the Matrix versions lasts, like, one second, so I've never been able to balance it even with three singers at max speed.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
So, if #forbidden is “no jobs,” I’ve been thinking about an all Freelancer party. The more I think about it, the more interesting it sounds, just because you have so much in your bag of tricks in W3. But the thing I’m having a hard time thinking through is W2 Exdeath. Outside of holy staff breaking (I have literally never seen a holy staff drop in 20-plus playthroughs, it’s just not worth grinding on iOS), what would be the plan here? A party that doesn’t hit hard and can’t get reflect rings is in for it big time.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Oh right, you don't have to steal them. Okay, well, that makes it a hell of a lot easier. But you still need to get through phase 1, which means you still need to do a good amount of damage in a short amount of time.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Sakako posted:

Hey, if forbidden means no jobs, then I'm super ready, SetzerGabbiani will help me

http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588331-final-fantasy-v/faqs/21687

I'm assuming I'm getting wooshed but that is, like, the worst FAQ I've ever seen. I scrolled straight down to the end of W2 to see about Exdeath and saw this dude fail to suggest putting Atomos to sleep and then tell people to get four flame rings for the Crystals. On a class that can use Death Scythes.

Oh, haha, I just now realized this is the FAQ that Sullla is talking poo poo about. :v:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

W.T. Fits posted:

(you did remember to farm hi-potions in the fire ship before the castle blew up, right?)

The ship's still there, isn't it? I could have sworn I did this post-Karnak in a random run when I only had Thieves and Monks.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Give a Berserker the Lilith Rod and let things get weird.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

derra posted:

You put Blue on your Knight so he can do something beyond whack a guy.

Put Blue on your Knight so he can be useful by casting Transfusion and sacrificing himself to keep your Blue Mage's MP flowing.

Kyrosiris: is there any way you can add Mega64's page to the OP? I always go to the OP to get to the Algorithm's FAQ and stuff and Mega64's boss page is my go-to for status weaknesses, but sometimes I forget it exists. edit: https://ff5.mega64.net/

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Thanks!

Okay, so, if #forbidden isn't an all-Freelancer run, what are the other big ideas? I was trying to think about how a reverse-natural run would work, i.e. Bartz can use the Water, Fire, and Earth jobs but not the Wind job (and so on for the other three). That would be different, I guess, but I'm not sure it really adds much, and it makes the beginning of the game kind of confusing: does Bartz stay Freelancer while the other three use the Wind job until the Water crystal? And then Bartz is locked to Water and Lenna locked to Wind until Fire? I guess now that I wrote that out, it's not that confusing.

I still want a half-natural mode. Soulmates mode! Bartz and Galuf/Krile get to share jobs, and Lenna and Faris get to share jobs, but you can't cross them.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

KataraniSword posted:

Besides, the real worst is trying to knife rugwizard's spare Kornago Gourd.

Why? Why would you do this thing? You can only capture one thing at a time!

No seriously is there a single encounter in the entire game where you would ever want to capture two things in one fight?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
It's live! Check your pages on the main site. I've got Monk with Wind in #Forbidden.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Um. You can go to your page to unlock all your jobs without tweeting, and... I got Cannoneer as my Earth job. (this is in FORBIDDEN)

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Went to the Discord and welp

edit: full party is Monk / Mystic Knight / Dancer / Cannoneer. Weirdest party ever. I'm assuming I just use a Freelancer in the four spot until I get the tablets?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Oh man. I think someone tweeted a #punishme already:

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1008551383862308864

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay, sorry for all the posts, someone asked RK and:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
So I've never had a Dancer with a Mystic Knight. Does Spellblade work with Sword Dance?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
My dearest Krile,

The indications are very strong that we shall move in a few days-perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write you again, I feel impelled to write lines that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more. It has been a hundred bloody days and a hundred terrible nights hence we took up this post in the Barrier Tower and I feel as though my heart is set to burst. Upon an endless field of dead Reflect Knights and Magnites do I rest my ever-weary head and dream of home. But, O Krile! If the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, one of them at some point will drop a motherfucking reflect ring.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
All right, so I'm at the Crystals with a FORBIDDEN party of Monk / Mystic Knight / Dancer. Since the fourth slot is still open, I can have two of one of those. I made the mistake of vastly overestimating the offensive potential of the MK--basically I thought they, like, had any whatsoever. So I'm here with no Flame Rings and I took the Aegis Shield (this might have been one of the rare cases to take the Flame Shield just because the chances of having my MK voided later are pretty high, but oh well).

I'm hoping someone will tell me I'm way overthinking this, but here's what I'm thinking. My highest damage potential is a Monk Sword Dance, which does around 3200. If I can get them just above the counter threshold, I should be okay, but that's cutting it really close. Bringing them down to the threshold is the real problem, because the dumb Monk will not stop countering all the time. My crazy plan is to a) come in with the Monk dead, b) give the Dancer Magic Barrier, and c) let the Crystals hit me until I get Shell on the three others, just to be safe. Then the two MKs bring Water down to the threshold, we wake the Monk up, queue everybody up to hit after him just in case, and wait for a Sword Dance. Then we let him die again while getting them down one at a time. Overthinking? I think I'm something like level 27, when is the Monk's next M?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I’ll try the Drain Sword thing. Drain overwrites a weapon’s elemental property, right? Meaning I can use an Air Knife?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Ugh... First time playing the game and I'm stuck at Garula. A little ashamed since it's such an early boss, but are there any secrets? All I have are Black Mages, which have been mostly great so far.

Garula is your first lesson in counter scripts. You should notice that he will continue to do either a regular attack or Rush whenever it's his turn, but when you hit him, he'll counterattack and hit you twice--and that won't break his normal routine. So if you don't think about timing, he could pretty much be hitting you three times in a row. The general lesson: only use Lenna to hit him (she'll do a tiny bit more damage with black magic than anyone else) and use the other three to throw potions. Don't be afraid to throw a whole lot of potions, they're very cheap. Buy a ton. Also, make sure all your characters are in the back row--that will halve physical damage given and taken, but since you have Black Mages you shouldn't be doing anything but casting spells anyway.

edit: yes or break rods (this is the answer for everything in W1)

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
To continue my own story: thanks Derra, Drain Sword worked just fine on the Crystals once I got Magic Barrier to trigger. Let's hope it also gets me through Exdeath!

I went ahead and did my #void ahead of time, and... it's going to eat my Monk! Oh no! Not Monk! I wonder if it's totally random or if it's weighted toward "better" jobs--I was sure it was going to eat Mystic Knight. I'll just consider this a cosmic balancing for the three hours I spend in the Barrier Tower getting two rings.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Rirse posted:

Ugh, having trouble with Archaeoavis this year. I can get him out of his first form, but start to run out of steam by the second form. My party is knight, dancer, mystic knight, and geomancer. Geo helps out on the first form since he just doing nothing but wind slash that hurts him, but the limited options for healing becomes a problem.

I have found over the years that Archaeoavis is heavily luck-dependent--sometimes he will do nothing but the all-party attacks, and sometimes he will never use them. I've found the best bet is to just try to go as fast as possible, and you've got a pretty offensive team there. You just need to get through the first couple of forms before you can start doing meaningful physical damage. Geo will help with the first phase, yeah, and then I'd go with Thundara Sword on the MK (using Two-Handed) and the Dancer and hope for some good Sword Dance luck. By the time you get to the fourth phase and he's absorbing lightning damage, your Knight (also Two-Handed) should be crushing him, and you can switch off the elemental damage on the other two. Use the Geo to throw all the high potions you have--that party won't need them until you can buy them (Gilgamesh is the only slight worry but he can be Olded with the Ancient Sword so Jump is his only damage, which means you can race him to the end).

Basically just keep trying. Archaeoavis does have single-target attacks, but those low-tier shields aren't enough to make a big difference, definitely not nearly as big of a difference as using Two Handed and getting him down faster.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Rirse posted:

Finally him. I gave the mystic knight (with two handed) poison as it did more damage while giving the two knights two handed. Geomancer was using aero until form 2 when he went on healing. Yeah I got lucky and he didn't do the lightning/blaze spam finally and I was able to kill it at last.

Just to be clear I have been reading the algorithm FAQ wrong and derra's right: elemental magic swords will only add damage if the target is weak to that element. They don't add anything if the target isn't weak to it.

code:
If the Target has Elemental Weakness of the attacking element:

If using Fire3, Ice3, Bolt3, Bio or Holy, if the Target is Heavy, 
Attack = Attack * 4 and Defense = 0.
If the Target is not Heavy, 
Inflict Dead status on Target.  Ignore Dead status immunity.

If using Fire2, Ice2 or Bolt2, 
Attack = Attack * 3 and Defense = 0

If using Fire, Ice, Bolt or Venom, 
Attack = Attack * 2 and Defense = 0

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

Silence Blade on Mystic Knight is just fine assuming you're not on a bad version.

It works fine on the Matrix versions. Silence* does stop him from countering with Reset. It's Berserk that doesn't stop the counter in the Matrix versions.

*what is a lot harder to do is trying to bounce a Silence proc from the Mage Masher--if it bounces off you, it seems to count as an attack on him, whether it lands or not. So if you're trying to Mage Mash-Silence him, just attack him directly... and then your Silence might stick for, like, two full seconds. Basically enough time for a hasted Thief to go twice. It is possible to do enough damage in that window to get him to his -aga phase, at which point he'll eventually kill himself with reflected spells, but only with really high damage things like Zeninage.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Feldegast42 posted:

I'll admit it -- I changed one of my jobs to MK with silence blade in order to get through Omniscient on my fiesta run. I forgot to grind for reflect rings and my job list was Knight / Beastmaster / Ranger / Gladiator so no magic damage.

Its a moment of weakness though, since a true Fiesta goer would have reset until he got the mage masher proc every time he swung in. :shepface:

I'd release something that casts Rainbow Wind (like an Oiseaurare from the Island Shrine) and then have two of three of these queued up: 1) Rapid Fire Chicken Knife from the Ranger, 2) Rapid Fire Excalibur from the Knight, and 3) whatever crazy thing a Gladiator can do; that might get him down below 4000. Then let him kill himself on the reflect ring you steal from the ladies in the Phoenix Tower.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Various Meat Products posted:

Goons, I've never played this game before but I'm up to World 2. My party is Thief / Red Mage / Geomancer / Dancer. How hosed am I?

That's a bad enough party that I'd consider heading to the Job Fair if it's your first time. The amount of grinding you're going to need to do to get through the Crystals and then W2 ExDeath might make you never want to play the game again. But if you're determined and you want to get Dualcast, know that the best place to grind AP in W2 is in the basement of Galuf's castle: use Gold Needles on the enemies there and they will die.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
So what can a Cannoneer do to Omega? My understanding is that the Combines are auto-hit with a flat 75% status proc which isn't affected by any evades. Is that right? But they don't go through immunities, right? So all I can do is slow him and stop him? Shin should be no problem with both berserk and blind.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Woof, I finally beat W2 ExDeath with my first run. Monk, Mystic Knight, and Dancer is, like, not a good W2 ExDeath party. Just had to get lucky with the dances, though. I don't anticipate any trouble collecting the tablets and getting my Canonneer, just got to go get me a Rainbow Dress and never have to see the words TEMPTING TANGO AGAIN

OH GOD STOP MYSTIC WALTZING

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

havenwaters posted:

Podcasts no longer needed. Water job was mystic knight.

Ho ho ho, you think Mystic Knight is going to improve your damage potential, ha ha ha

I got my drat Cannoneer. It kind of sucks that all three bonus classes have high AP unlocks. Even the Necromancer needs 750 AP to fully unlock. I killed everything to get here, game! There's nothing left to kill!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Sorry, I'm just still bitter about W2 ExDeath.