Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

(Alternate Thread Title: FJF 2018 - A Death Sickle Rollback at Bal-Mart)

:siren:2019 thread this direction:siren:

Welcome to the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta 2018 thread! In its sixth year running, this thread will be the SA headquarters for the Four Job Fiesta, equal parts to keep us from taking over the FF Megathread as well as a single point of action for trading tricks and tips, cursing Gilgabot's lack of mercy, or whatever Fiesta-related discussion you may want. Much like the years before, we hope to bring lots of victories, lots of donations, and lots of berserkers from the Berserker Tree!

Quick Links: Goon Discord, Goon IRC, Official Website, Official Blog, Official Subreddit (yes, yes, I know, but it's official)

So Kyrosiris, what IS the Four Job Fiesta?

Every year, RevenantKioku and his trusty sidekick Gilgabot (or maybe it's the other way around?) organize the Fiesta as a charity drive for Child's Play and as a gathering for all FFV fans to celebrate the game. Mechanically, the Fiesta challenges you to play through Final Fantasy V using just one job from each Crystal. Hard Mode ups the ante, allowing Gilgabot to pull from past Crystals - you can, for example, get another White Mage from the Fire Crystal, or a Berserker from the Earth Crystal! In 2012, the Berserker Risk option was added as a way to pump up the difficulty even more - for every $10 raised prior to the Fiesta's start, every Berserker Risk participant was assigned a mandatory Berserker! Enough was raised to stick every participant at Risk with at least one Berserker, and SA member Trasson ended up with what was considered the nastiest team of the Fiesta - a Knight and THREE Berserkers! 2013 renamed Hard Mode to "Random Mode" which is honestly more accurate, and added the new Team 750/No-750 and Natural modes, adding extra fun and challenge. 2015 upped the stakes and added the much-beloved Chaos Mode, which was what we all wanted from Random all along - any job is possible from any crystal, and duplicates are possible, leading to a handful of Chaos Riskers ending up with :black101: FOUR. :black101: FREAKING. :black101: BERSERKERS. :black101: (RIP Everhate, The Chosen One) 2016 graced us with Pure Chaos, which is Chaos without repeats and with Mime and Freelancer in the character pool.

While the challenge is not one regularly "recommended" for those new to Final Fantasy V, there have been several goons who challenged the Fiesta as their first playthrough of the game and triumphed! That said, the challenge will definitely require a bit more aptitude and awareness of the game's mechanics and neat combos than a game where you plow through everything with !X-Fight, !X-Magic, and other powerful combos (that is, unless Gilgabot is merciful and gives you those combos). It goes a long way to help snap the decision paralysis that plagues a lot of first-time players of FFV, though.

Well, I've never played FFV before. Should I try anyways?

Absolutely! Like I said, lots of goons have earned their first victory in FFV through the Fiesta - either combinations of the restricted job access giving them real focus to finish the game, or getting advice from the litany of Fiesta veterans that haunt this thread and Discord, or for whatever reason. Plus, FFV is fun, and you're playing for charity (via either your donations or runs that you finish that trigger other people's pledges)!

How's this all work, then? What're the rules?

An example team would be mine from 2012 - I got Thief, Summoner, Ninja, and Samurai. From the Wind Crystal on, I had to have a full party of Thieves. Once I finished the Water Crystal, I got to choose a configuration of at least 1 Thief and at least 1 Summoner, and then the other two could be either Thieves or Summoners, with no limit aside from having at least one of each. The Fire crystal was the same - I had to field at least one Ninja, Summoner, and Thief at all times, and my fourth character could be what was best suited of my three job options. After the Earth Crystal, that was it - everyone was locked in. You can switch jobs around as is necessary, but you've gotta adhere to those guidelines. If you want your Ninja to learn some Summon Magic, that Summoner has to switch to being a Ninja too.

Note that for Natural and Chaos runs, you use Freelancers until you have obtained your assigned jobs. A Ranger/Samurai/Dragoon/Chemist Chaos run would use Freelancers until you get the Black Chocobo, and a White Mage/Time Mage/Bard/Chemist Natural run has Faris as a Freelancer until the same.

So who the hell is Gilgabot?

Gilgabot is the Twitter bot that does the backend paperwork of the Fiesta. You tweet keywords to him (@FF5ForFutures) at certain thresholds in your playthrough and he will do whatever those correspond to. For example, you can tweet "@FF5ForFutures #Water" to note that you've reached the Water Crystal. Gilgabot will then reply (maybe - he hit the daily tweet limit several times last year) with your Job assignment for that crystal. You can see a full list of his commands here. (link this to letsplaying's commands page when the site's back up)

Twitter? Ewww, I don't do that social media bullshit.

Tough. Don't blame Gilgabot, blame yourself or God. If you wanna Fiesta (at least officially - no one's stopping you from doing your own using random.org or similar), you gotta tweet. Worst case scenario, you make a throw-away account you use just for the Fiesta and then ignore it. Many goons do this every year.

:siren: NOTE THAT IF YOU HAVE A PROTECTED ACCOUNT, YOU WILL HAVE EXTREME DIFFICULTY FIESTA-ING OFFICIALLY. Consider making a throwaway or PM me your twitter handle on SA and I'll give it to RK so he can have Gilgabot request to follow you. :siren:

Help! Gilgabot gave me a shittacular job combo and $BOSS is kicking my rear end!

Relax. Trasson got through the entire game and even the optional superboss Shinryu in 2012 with a Knight and three Berserkers. You can beat the focus of your ire too, with some strategy and tenacity. That said, we're not going to leave you in the lurch - lots of FFV pros participate in the Fiesta, and in 2012 we came up with a veritable compendium of knowledge, tactics, and advice (which got loving additions in 2013 and 2014, too!). You can find it here, but be aware it contains story and boss spoilers, as well as a significant amount of mechanical information for the game. Other resources include Alcharagia's Primer to FFV's Jobs, Sulla's Solo Single Class Challenges, Mega64's Resource Page, the FFV Algorithm Guide (for SNES and GBA), The Spirit of FFV (has built-in "translation" of names/spells between versions) and IRC! We'll all be prattling away on Discord!

Science is scary and I can't use !Mix, the most powerful ability in FFV! Help me!!!!

Relax. Learn the true power of :science: here. Don't glitch Exdeath! (especially since your victory won't count :lol:)

Alright, I'm in! What do I do?

Get on Twitter and send Gilgabot (@FF5ForFutures) a pre-registration tweet. This will look something like "@FF5ForFutures #regpurechaos #BERSERKERRISK". Then, just wait for the Fiesta to start!

What's New for 2018?

No idea. Possibly nothing, actually - RK's been more interested in site functionality and bot interaction suggestions this year. Admittedly the array of options is pretty diverse, so we'll see.

Trivia and Infographic Nonsense!

Every year, RevenantKioku puts out an infographic for the year's Fiesta, covering a lot of trivia and data, distribution of classes, stuff like that (as well as how fair and balanced Gilgabot was, which he always is). They're pretty neat, and are timg'd below - click the year (or expand the image, but they're really big) for big.

2011 Infographic:

2012 Infographic:

2013 Infographic:

(Thread) 2014 Infographic:

(Thread) 2015 Infographic:

(Thread) 2016 Infographic:

(Thread) 2017 Infographic:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

High Quality Goon-Made Fiesta Fanart!

2014 Fanart

(by Bloodwulfe)

(also by Bloodwulfe)

(by Asiina)

(again, by Bloodwulfe)

(by Shoehead)

(yup, still Bloodwulfe)

(Bloodwulfe: still the best)

(THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE MEAN NOTHING TO A_Raving_Loon)

Can of Worms is rad as hell and has made multiple FFV Advance patches, including the source of the above gif.
Fiesta State Mod(no mechanical changes)
FFVA Balance Mod (actual mechanical changes) (changelog)

2015 Fanart

Mega64 takes on the trials and tribulations of the Omnizerker.

(What's Flarnith's art doing here?!)

(neongrey needs to be sure you heard him correctly.)

2016 Fanart

(Asterism has to face some tough choices.)

(Koobes decided to correct Mid a bit.)

(Let's just call this a work by Edward_Tohr and move on with life)

2017 Fanart

(Mikl is having some problems with the weather.)

(Ablative assures me that, just like Ronka, it can only go up uP UP!!)

(Orange Fluffy Sheep demonstrates the value of Butzcoin. BUY IN NOW)

Ablative reminds us of that which we must sacrifice, because the numbers are infallible.)

(Bad Seafood has opinions on robots.)

2018 Fanart

(Aerdan lets us know what's up.)

(Orange Fluffy Sheep has important information that might SAVE YOUR LIFE.)

(Mega64 reminds us that the FBI is full of poo poo.)

(Archenetron is ready for suffering in The Run.)

(Obang Metho has relevant memes.)

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 25, 2018

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

HERE THERE BE :toxx:ES

Aerdan posted:

I will donate $1 for every completed quadzerker run, up to $20.

Leraika posted:

Also. :toxx: time:

I will donate $1 for every completed Forbidden run where Bartz is named Exodia, up to $40.

If forbidden ends up being sucky and unfun like natural, I'll also donate $.50 for every completed run where Bartz is named Exodia, period, up to $20.

edit: yes, they stack

Detheros posted:

[timg]:toxx:

I loving hate the brave blade.

Seriously, gently caress this thing.

So if you get a Knight or a Freelancer and Complete a run with a 0 power Brave Blade I will donate 10 dollars per run up to $250, aka 25 completed runs, All I need to see is your NED kill with your Knight/Freelancer and your 0 Power Brave Blade.

:toxx:

Angling Dragon posted:

The Show Me How Its Done Challenge

Before the 20th of June, complete a run with the following jobs:
Wind: Knight
Water: Mystic Knight
Fire: Ranger
Earth: Dragoon

And I'll donate based on bosses defeated:
$5 per Exdeath
$10 per Shinryu
$10 per Omega
Max 10 defeats per boss

:toxx: me.
COMPLETE!!

Nasgate posted:

I'm going to donate 5$ for every other madman/woman that beats this game on the Matrix version. And a stacking additional 10$ for a triple crown on Matrix. 50 dollar limit for each, so 100$ total aside from whatever dumb donation incentives I give myself.

Kashuno posted:

:toxx: I will donate $1 for every mobile run completed where Bartz is named 🍑 up to $75

Tempest_56 posted:

Alright, :toxx: time. I failed my Risk run last year so:

I will donate $5 (up to $50) for every completed run with a full strength Brave Blade to counter my cowardice in the face of too many Zerks last year. I will double that if you do it without a Knight.

Koobes posted:

Are you Fast? Faster than THE RUN? If so, maybe your Bartz named FAST can beat the game with the runs jobs before the run starts. Post your completion, and $50 goes to the festivities. (Max $200)

COMPLETE!!

Detheros posted:

:toxx: $250 if DD wipes at any point in World 1(doesn't count if it's intentional), $500 if he wins, these stack. :toxx:

I wont be here for the first part of the run so I'm counting on you goons to keep track of the w1 wipe part.
COMPLETE!!

Bad Seafood posted:

Much like the protagonist of the above comic, throwing away the safety and security of a presumably stable job, loving partner, and the thin veneer of social respectability, you too will throw caution to the wind and make terrible life choices that will most likely sabotage your ability to function in the world at large. Here's how it works:
  1. Have at least two of the following classes in your party: Monk, Red Mage, Geomancer, Dragoon.
  2. You may not have a Blue Mage or a Chemist.
  3. Kill Shinryu.
Accomplish the above and I will donate $10 in your name, up to $200. Do it with all four classes and I'll make it $20. For proof, a screenshot of your party killing Shinryu should suffice.

Ground floor, dragon slayers.

derra posted:

Ok, I’ll get in on this. You guys fight too much.

:toxx: I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements:

1) Triple Crowns
2) with a total party level under 100 and
3) with no individual party member having a level greater than 30.

Include a screenshot of your final levels!

Einwand posted:

Time to hopefully avoid the wonders of quadzerker this year with chaos berserker risk.

Also :toxx: $5 for any goons that get quadzerk and beat sandworm, and an extra $20 for any of those poor souls that manage to grind up enough to beat NED without using the magic underflow snes bug, capped at $100 total. Also if I somehow get it again I'll throw an extra $50 on top :black101:.

jaclynhyde posted:

Know what, I'll get onto the toxx train.

I just played FFV outside the Fiesta for the first time, and getting to and beating Leviathan was still a giant pain in the rear end. So in the interest of making everyone suffer with me, I'll donate $5 for everyone who defeats Leviathan, up to $50.

Poque posted:

For each goon who finishes an official fiesta run before I do, I will donate $10, up to $750. To my disadvantage, this is likely to be among my busiest work weeks of the year. Limit two runs per goon.

:toxx: COMPLETE!!!

Doom Goon posted:

:toxx: I'm doing the Randomizer pledge again! Sorry I can't do more, I wanted to double it this year but unfortunately as I hinted before I did get some slightly unexpected expenses. Here's the details, pretty much the same as last time:

$1 per goon up to $20 for every goon that completes a run from now on to the end (must complete a normal run first) using Can Of Worms's Final Fantasy V Advance Randomizer. Make sure to emptyquote this post on a win so I can see it! Oh, and please don't use the FFVFJF site (probably not cool crowning on impossible runs), although if you want to slip a victory into another run's #Up that's probably okay.

It's up to you if you want to spoil the Jobs you get or not but I'd recommend it to reduce grinding and magic level confusion. Also, I'll probably wait until next year to actually donate so I can kill two birds with one stone and water that tree.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 27, 2018

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Also among the new features to Carbybot (our Discord bot) this year, there's this for the week and a half until preregistration starts:

So yeah, come hang out, it's a fun place. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

In fairness, #fifthjob exists as a potential out for that.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

berserker
berserker
berserker
thief
someone who is good at ff5 please help me beat byblos. my party is dying

steal more elixirs

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So the Back Mage does the heavy lifting?

Eh, get one of those BBs to 42 and you're golden.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I have a better theory: Matrix bad

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The entire point of FFV and the job system is mixing and matching what you have and Natural rips that out.

It's antithetical to the entire point of the game, and adds pointless tedium if you get stuck with poo poo jobs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Cattail Prophet posted:

Happy to see the thread again. All that FF5 discussion in the megathread a month back or so got me really antsy for fiesta season to start.

Does anyone know the exact weights that jobs are given in popular mode? Or if popular mode is even still gonna be a thing, for that matter? I've got a little project I'm working on.

Poque provided the following info in Discord last year (it's a pinned message):

quote:

Play-In Round
Mystic 72 > Thief 28
Ninja 61 > Monk 39
Blue 72 > Beast 28
Summoner 61 > Knight 39

Round 1
Time 60 > Dragoon 40
Mystic 64 > Samurai 36
Bard 55 > White 45
Ninja 51 > Chemist 49
Red 60 > Geo 40
Blue 57 > Dancer 43
Black 60 > Ranger 40
Summoner 59 > Berserker 41

Quarterfinals
Mystic 56 > Time 44
Bard 53 > Ninja 47
Blue 65 > Red 35
Summoner 57 > Black 43

Semi-Finals
Blue 64 > Bard 36
Mystic 60 > Summoner 40

Finals
Blue 56 > Mystic 44

I'm not sure how those translate out into weights, but it's at least something to work from?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

agradine posted:

A whole two points of magic! :rolleye:

Black Mage has much better single target damage.

Only once -aga spells are in play, which is less than a third of the game. Furthermore, the Lamp isn't reusable, and Summons don't have the MT don't
split penalty that black magic does.

That's still ignoring the utility of Carby and Golem, too.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Only the first 403 people are allowed to use it?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Recommended: Fiesta
Forbidden: Ivalice

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bufuman posted:

I was wondering where this topic was when I checked like, 2 weeks ago, I coulda sworn you usually posted them earlier than this.

Yeah, I've been slammed with starting a new job, and it was also to head off the usual issues of it being like a month before pre-reg when I post a topic and people just sorta "well now what"-ing. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Bard can sleep harp Atomos iirc.

Atomos is heavy, so no.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mega64 posted:

I will be impressed if he can top his last run of running some convoluted scheme to set up "Death By Math But Different" only to wipe to a Moldwynd in the Wind Shrine and be forced to restart the entire game because he forgot to save.

He's looking for a better strategy. He's even staring at the open chest!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

So since I actually have a decent paying job this year, my usual "10 cent per speed trap victim" pledge is A) not going to have an upper limit, and B) is also going to include "1 cent per snapped rod", so if you wanna see me donate a bunch of money at the end of the Fiesta, make sure you report these in Discord. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

derra posted:

Registration is open!

Let's fuckin' go. :hellyeah:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

I've only completed one run before, what could go wrong?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

FreeKillB posted:

It looks like the page on voting for the run isn't up yet. I'm going to pass the time by explaining my intended votes:

Thief: Monk would be the more painful choice here, but I'm already familiar with the speed strats for the Monk earlygame (it was chosen in the 2015 run), and am a little curious how runners will balance speed vs grinding for items with thief. In theory, Thief allows for dashing but I think this doesn't matter in GBA? I'm not sure. Thief gives access to extra items and fleeing from random encounters, but is very poor in combat, especially since I'm assuming that Dance will be used for the Chicken Knife instead of Mug.

Red Mage: All of the other Water Crystal jobs are very strong, outside of Berserker, which I'm not considering since it was chosen last year. Red mage means the run will glide through world 1 after Garula. This would be the same with Time Mage/Summoner, and Mystic Knight would be worse for grinding but still make most other bosses trivial. Lategame, though, Red mage offers little other than Armor and equipped Enhancers.

Bard: I'm interested in seeing speed strats for Bard. The buff songs are absurd if you let them max out, last time I did this my nominally level 26/27 party killed Neo Exdeath before he got an attack off. It's likely that instead of doing this runners will just Hide from Almagest instead, since it takes a long time to really max out the songs.

Dancer: Who doesn't like adding RNG to speedruns? Note that Dancer is better than usual here since Thef can steal Lamia's Tiaras in world 1.

e: Voting page just went up!

This is actually compelling, and Bard allows for a triple crown if donations get high enough. I may through my :20bux: x5 at it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

DGM_2 posted:

Hey Kyrosiris, you still need to fix the link to Sulla's page in the OP.

Yeah, my bad. I had it fixed in the 2017 thread but used an older thread template for this year and :downs:.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

agradine posted:

I'm sold on everything on that list but Thief. Personally I'd like to see a White Mage start instead.

Although I do think a recent Run had Dancer? I just remembered the Bare-Fisted Sword Dances being legit.

White Mage was last year's Wind job, which comes at a massive 3000 vote penalty. Thief makes sense so they can have quasi-reliable Dancers via early Lamia's Tiaras.

And yeah, the infamous The Run (where .dd and running the numbers and etc.) had Dragondarch with Dancer.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

derra posted:

I voted for this -RM +MK. Have fun with Shinryu suckers!

Oh my god I would pay to watch them Zombieflect Shinryu in real time. :allears:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

jaclynhyde posted:

Going with good old regular zerker risk for my first run. Now, do I actually play the game normally for the first time while I wait?

If you join Discord, you can get Carbybot to spin up a set of jobs for you so that you can play in a Fiesta-esque experience. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Imagine a Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist run where you can't use blue magic, spellblade, songs or mixes.

So a run where you still stomp things because !Drink is incredible?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Characters are forbidden from using the job of their crystal.

That would be an interesting twist, but it again feels more in line with Natural, which is a run modifier, and not a run type like Chaos or what have you.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

duck trucker posted:

Maybe you're forbidden from giving characters abilities from the other classes?

That's what Natural is (and it sucks).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mountaineer posted:

How about the opposite of Natural? A class is forbidden from using its own abilities. Hopefully not, that would be real lovely. Imagine the annoyance of getting to the water crystal with a team of white or black mages not allowed to cast magic.

Black Mages wouldn't be that bad, you have the Carwen frost rod to snap on Magissa, and anyone can shank some Ricard Mages in Walse Tower for Fire Rods to snap on Garula.

White Mage, on the other hand, would be a nightmare.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

widespread posted:

As a person who did a run starting with White Mage, this. Then you get the healing stick, and whoops.

Misapplied Healing Staff still isn't as embarrassing as X-Potioning Omega.

Not that I've ever done that.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Theoretically, if someone did do this, would it fully heal Omega or only do 9,999?

It is, in fact, a full heal.

Not that I'd know from first-hand experience or anything. :shepicide:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

And now she has sanity checking. Or more than she did, anyways.

Thank you for being an unwitting QA team. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

quote:

Forbidden (#RegForbidden)

Players wil─Я╞Я╚Я╩б╠а╬Ш╨Ц╥М╙М╘М╪м┘мрдМреМсВмсРМсЪМсЫМс┤Мс╡Мс╕мс╣мс║мс╗мс╝мс╜мс╛мс┐мтАмтБмтВмтГмтДм

That's helpful, thank you RK! :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zerilan posted:

What day does this start?

At absolute worst, the 19th.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Third post updated with new toxxes. I guess I know what I'm working on during my lunch break!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Misses me. Or do you just hate Matrix?

Nope, I just missed it somehow. All fixed. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Also worth noting that even if you have Two-Handed equipped, you can still put a shield on.

Yes, you lose the Two-Handed doubling of M, but you can slip a shield on and off as needed, even in combat (similar to how you'd break rods).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

99% of the time it's Black Garb.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

BrightWing posted:

Insane amounts of min-maxing for not all that hard rpgs is my fetish.

Can I interest you in a proof that, at level 35 and assuming zero defense, a Blue Mage with Equip Swords is better off gunching with the Brave Blade than casting Aeroga with a wind-boosting weapon? :v:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 7, 2018

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

OzFactor posted:

Also fact or fiction: Goblin Punch always calculates the BB at full power no matter what, right? And the opposite for the CK?

Fact.

code:
WEAPON: Brave Blade
ATTACK: 150                   DAMAGE FORMULA: 6E
HIT%: 100                     CRITICAL%: 0
GB PUNCH/THROW ATTACK: 150    THROWABLE?: N

6.4.17) GOBLIN PUNCH DAMAGE PARAMETERS

Attack = Weapon Throw Damage (Right Hand) + Weapon Throw Damage (Left Hand), or Monster Attack
M = (Level*Strength)/128 + 2, or Monster Attack Multiplier
Defense = Defense
To compare to the normal BB formula:

code:
6.4.16) BRAVE BLADE DAMAGE PARAMETERS

Attack = Weapon Attack - # times escaped from battle
Minimum Attack = 0
M = (Level*Strength)/128 + 2
Defense = Defense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Ah, but will Equip Swords with the Brave Blade beat Two-Handed with the Rune Blade?

Good question!

L35 Bartz BLU (+4 Str)
BB: +5 Str
Black Garb: +1 Str
Twist Headband: +3 Str

Base 47 Str, +13 = 60 Str
M = 18
Gunched BB Damage: 2700

L35 Faris BLU (+3 Str, +2 Mag)
Circlet: +3 Mag
Power Sash: +3 Str

Base 37 Str, +6 = 43 Str
Base 47 Mag, +5 = 42 Mag
M = 24, doubled to 48
Two-Handed Rune Blade !Attack Damage: 3360

So no, it does not! But the original discussion was about Gunching with a Brave Blade and whether it was worth doing that instead of casting Aeroga on non-Air-weak enemies.

Worth noting in this situation that the Rune Blade-wielding Blue Mage has to be in the front row, because Goblin Punch does not process any of the Rune weapon bonuses (so it would be a 50 power, 13 M weapon).

BrightWing posted:

You unironically could :allears:

Here's the other half of that, from the Aeroga perspective:

L35 Lenna BLU (+4 Mag)
Black Robe: +5 Mag
Circlet: +3 Mag
Aegis Shield: +1 Mag

Base 47 Mag, +13 = 60 Mag
M = 12
Air Knife Aeroga Damage: 2520