Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Welcome to the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta 2014 thread! Much like in 2013, this will be the SA headquarters for the Four Job Fiesta, equal parts to keep us from taking over the FF Megathread as well as a single point of action for trading tricks and trips, cursing Gilgabot's lack of mercy, or whatever Fiesta-related discussion you may want.

Quick Links: Goon IRC, Official Website, Official Blog, Official Subreddit (yes, yes, I know, but it's official)

So Kyrosiris, what IS the Four Job Fiesta?

Every year, RevenantKioku and his trusty sidekick Gilgabot (or maybe it's the other way around?) organize the Fiesta as a charity drive for Child's Play and as a gathering for all FFV fans to celebrate the game. Mechanically, the Fiesta challenges you to play through Final Fantasy V using just one job from each Crystal. Hard Mode ups the ante, allowing Gilgabot to pull from past Crystals - you can, for example, get another White Mage from the Fire Crystal, or a Berserker from the Earth Crystal! In 2012, the Berserker Risk option was added as a way to pump up the difficulty even more - for every $10 raised prior to the Fiesta's start, every Berserker Risk participant was assigned a mandatory Berserker! Enough was raised to stick every participant at Risk with at least one Berserker, and SA member Trasson ended up with what was considered the nastiest team of the Fiesta - a Knight and THREE Berserkers! 2013 renamed Hard Mode to "Random Mode" which is honestly more accurate, and added the new Team 750/No-750 and Natural modes, adding extra fun and challenge.

While the challenge is not one regularly "recommended" for those new to Final Fantasy V, there have been several goons who challenged the Fiesta as their first playthrough of the game and triumphed! That said, the challenge will definitely require a bit more aptitude and awareness of the game's mechanics and neat combos than a game where you plow through everything with !X-Fight, !X-Magic, and other powerful combos (that is, unless Gilgabot is merciful and gives you those combos).

Well, I've never played FFV before. Should I try anyways?

Absolutely! Like I said, lots of goons have earned their first victory in FFV through the Fiesta - either combinations of the restricted job access giving them real focus to finish the game, or getting advice from the littany of Fiesta veterans that haunt this thread and IRC, or for whatever reason. Plus, FFV is fun, and you're playing for charity (via either your donations or runs that you finish that trigger other people's pledges)!

How's this all work, then? What're the rules?

An example team would be mine from 2012 - I got Thief, Summoner, Ninja, and Samurai. From the Wind Crystal on, I had to have a full party of Thieves. Once I finished the Water Crystal, I got to choose a configuration of at least 1 Thief and at least 1 Summoner, and then the other two could be either Thieves or Summoners, with no limit aside from having at least one of each. The Fire crystal was the same - I had to field at least one Ninja, Summoner, and Thief at all times, and my fourth character could be what was best suited of my three job options. After the Earth Crystal, that was it - everyone was locked in. You can switch jobs around as is necessary, but you've gotta adhere to those guidelines. If you want your Ninja to learn some Summon Magic, that Summoner has to switch to being a Ninja too.

So who the hell is Gilgabot?

Gilgabot is the Twitter bot that does the backend paperwork of the Fiesta. You tweet keywords to him (@FF5ForFutures) at certain thresholds in your playthrough and he will do whatever those correspond to. For example, you can tweet "@FF5ForFutures #Water" to note that you've reached the Water Crystal. Gilgabot will then reply (maybe - he hit the daily tweet limit several times last year) with your Job assignment for that crystal. You can see a full list of his commands here. (link this to letsplaying's commands page when the site's back up)

Twitter? Ewww, I don't do that social media bullshit.

Tough. Don't blame Gilgabot, blame yourself or God. If you wanna Fiesta (at least officially - no one's stopping you from doing your own using random.org or similar), you gotta tweet. Worst case scenario, you make a throw-away account you use just for the Fiesta and then ignore it.

Help! Gilgabot gave me a shittacular job combo and $BOSS is kicking my rear end!

Relax. Trasson got through the entire game and even the optional superboss Shinryu in 2012 with a Knight and three Berserkers. You can beat the focus of your ire too, with some strategy and tenacity. That said, we're not going to leave you in the lurch - lots of FFV pros participate in the Fiesta, and in 2012 we came up with a veritable compendium of knowledge, tactics, and advice (which got loving additions in 2013, too!). You can find it here, but be aware it contains story and boss spoilers, as well as a significant amount of mechanical information for the game. Other resources include Sulla's Solo Straight Class Challenges, the FFV Algorithm Guide (for SNES and GBA), The Spirit of FFV (has built-in "translation" of names/spells between versions) and IRC! We'll all be prattling away at #FF5Fiesta on SynIRC.

Science is scary and I can't use !Mix, the most powerful ability in FFV! Help me!!!!

Relax. Learn the true power of :science: here. Don't glitch Exdeath!

Alright, I'm in! What do I do?

Get on Twitter and send Gilgabot (@FF5ForFutures) a pre-registration tweet. This will look something like "@FF5ForFutures #regrand #BERSERKERRISK". Then, just wait for the Fiesta to start!

What's New for 2014?

FF1 Parties! Using #regff1, you draw only from the classic six FF1 jobs: Knight, Thief, Monk, Red Mage, Black Mage, and White Mage. This is also an enforced Natural run, meaning no cross-pollination of abilities! The Natural, Team750, and TeamNo750 options make their return from 2013.

Additionally, the completely unwieldy Disqus comments on the main site are gone - official communication from RK is gonna be through the official blog for the Fiesta found here or through :sigh: the official subreddit, found here.

Trivia and Infographic Nonsense!

Every year, RevenantKioku puts out an infographic for the year's Fiesta, covering a lot of trivia and data, distribution of classes, stuff like that (as well as how fair and balanced Gilgabot was, which he always is). They're pretty neat, and are timg'd below - click the year (or expand the image, but they're really big) for big.

2011 Infographic:

2012 Infographic:

2013 Infographic:

Unlike in 2013, I will not be maintaining a list of winners or donors in the OP, sheerly because of the absolutely ridiculous volume of winners and donors. You guys were entirely too skilled and generous for me to keep up with. I'm really sorry. :shobon: This does NOT mean you guys are off the hook from watering the Berserker Tree! WE BETTER HAVE A BETTER HARVEST THIS YEAR, OR ELSE.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Apparently this year's Fiesta is awesome enough to inspire fanart. :stare:

(by Bloodwulfe)

(also by Bloodwulfe)

(by Asiina)

(again, by Bloodwulfe)

(by Shoehead)

(yup, still Bloodwulfe)

(Bloodwulfe: still the best)

(THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE MEAN NOTHING TO A_Raving_Loon)

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 11, 2014

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Probably only gonna do one run this year. I'm actually curious what the gimmick runs will be for this year because you'd think by 2013 he's probably done all the ones that would make sense (all mages, no mages, etc)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This'll be my first FJF, I am excited to get bad job combinations and attempt Shinryu only to lose with said bad job combos.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Orgia Carnaval posted:

This'll be my first FJF, I am excited to get bad job combinations and attempt Shinryu only to lose with said bad job combos.

If Trasson can kill Shinryu with a Knight and three Berserkers, you can kill Shinryu with whatever you get. :colbert:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Before pre-reg starts I should really finish my second run from last year. Real life got in the way so I got distracted before I could grind enough to kill Neo Exdeath. Think it was Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Ninja/Monk.

I'll definitely be going for Random/Berserker Risk again because I hate myself.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Awww yeah I'm excited to do this. Hoping for a Dragoon so I can have something from my favorite team build.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Oh also, if someone has the contents of my :words: post on Chemists/!Mix from last year or has the Berserker Tree picture, I'd be super appreciative. The Archives are down and I can't go fetch them myself. :(

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I literally beat the game for the first time yesterday, but there's a good chance I'll do this still. I found the game got pretty easy by the end with a bunch of classes/freelancer, so a challenge would be fun.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

I'm probably not going to bother trying to top last year, but I'm definitely in.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is it wrong if I consider this to be a highlight of my summer? If so, I don't want to be right.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I completed this game seven times last year, in the process using all of the 20 jobs, and beat the Sealed Temple under Four Job Fiesta rules, including Neo Shinryu.

I shouldn't be this pumped to play FF5 again.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
I haven't played this game in years but I'm definitely going to go for this and be completely useless!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
If memory serves, last year there were some people in Berserker Risk who got less than three Berserkers. We can fix that this year, right? :getin:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Been wanting to do this for almost a year (only found out about it after last year's was done). :getin:

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I'm pretty excited for this. If it's anything like last year, I'll power through my first game and stall at the Earth crystal on the second.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
I know one mode that would bring me back for more ff fiving is some way to commit to a full circuit of classes. Where in additional playthroughs the classes you've already played are removed from the pool and you only pass the condition by beating the game six times and using all of the classes at least once.

My body is prepped. My life is poo poo. Let's do this.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I gotta buy a GBA Advance for this. I already have the game, and got up to Neo XDeath last time with Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Ninja/Lancer. At that point, I just couldn't deal enough damage and gave up :(

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Oh gently caress. It's that time again!

I think I'll use the GBA version this time instead of the iOS version. iOS is pretty as hell but ugh analog walking on a tile based map was so annoying.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Made it to the last boss last year and then didn't bother finishing because I'm so drat lazy.

Maybe I'll actually finish a run this year.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Made it to the last boss last year and then didn't bother finishing because I'm so drat lazy.

Maybe I'll actually finish a run this year.

I'll heckle you in guild chat if you don't.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
I'm so stoked for this and I never do challenge runs for anything else ever.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
poo poo, it's this time already?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I didn't participate this year since I felt like I had other things going on.

Nuts to that this year. I've wanted to participate for a while and this'll be the year.

And I'm even going Berserker Risk. :getin:

Anyway, it still sounds like GBA is the best way to play this. Aside from the sorta-doofy graphics and the virtualized buttons, what are the upsides and downsides of the Android version? Is it easier to get screen-captures? (A little part of me would like to play on hardware, rather than emulation.)

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Assuming Android is the same as iOS, it has an improved auto-battle system - everyone repeats their last action indefinitely or auto-attacks if they can't, and the game runs at double speed while it's on.

Also it might have been patched since I played it, but Omniscient could cast Reset even while Berserked, which killed a lot of strategies against him.

e: Also don't be too hard on the graphics for 5, at least - the sprites are doofy, but the enemy art is beautiful.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Don't worry resident insane old man w/r/t FF5 OFS is here and there's no way in hell I'm not signing up.

Might skip the berserker risk because after attempting a SCC I think I have explored every possible dimension to those fuckers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GBA is the best way unless you get Red Mage.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I will be participating again, maybe I'll get White Mage first this time too just so I can run up the countryside pummeling every beast in sight with my anime KKK.

Should be a good way to kill time while leveling up a DPS class in XIV anyways.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

ProfessorProf posted:

Also it might have been patched since I played it, but Omniscient could cast Reset even while Berserked, which killed a lot of strategies against him.

That got patched, as did Shinryu's berserk immunity.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

When's the run expected to officially start? I didn't see that mentioned in the OP.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

When's the run expected to officially start? I didn't see that mentioned in the OP.

I think it starts June 1st.

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!
Cool stuff, Kyrosiris. Thanks again for the great OP and working on this event.

I'll probably do a run, but I'll admit it won't be as awesome as my first run since it was my first finished run so everything was new and exciting. I also lucked out with a great group (Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Ninja, and :dance: DANCER :dance:), so I'll have to pick a challenging run.

If not, I'll throw in $10 regardless.

Edward_Lapine fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 15, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Pre-registration starts June 1. We'll probably find out the actual start date then. There's usually the possibility of an early start, because RK does a run that's voted on by the fans that, when it ends, the Fiesta starts officially (but there's always a failsafe "If I'm not done by $DATE, it starts on $DATE).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah, that's just when pre-registration starts.

E: f, b

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Oh man, I cannot wait for June to get here. This is always a great way to kickoff summer. :allears:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kyrosiris posted:

Pre-registration starts June 1. We'll probably find out the actual start date then. There's usually the possibility of an early start, because RK does a run that's voted on by the fans that, when it ends, the Fiesta starts officially (but there's always a failsafe "If I'm not done by $DATE, it starts on $DATE).

Think he's not doing that this year, but instead is having two speedrunners compete to see who finishes sooner.

e: Source

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 14, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Think he's not doing that this year, but instead is having two speedrunners compete to see who finishes sooner.

Oh that's interesting and neat.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Didn't we reach a funding goal and he had to beat FFXII last year? I forget what happened with that.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
FFV is one of my favorite FFs and I always miss out on this. Wildstar be damned, I'm going to do it this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I am unreasonably excited for this, and for Gilgabot to scream at me that my victory has been logged for processing. :allears:

• Locked thread