Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Mostly good OP. It should probably also be noted that Medli, Marin, and Toon Zelda also have their Lv. 2 weapons be relatively early and easy to get on the MWW, Koholint, and GT maps. (Basically, if you can get a Rank 2 weapon relatively easily on the latter missions of the Great Sea Map, you should be able to get it on the other maps with Rank 2 Weapons.)

I'd also note that the Imprisoned you see on the elemental weakness chart refers to the mini-Imprisoned you occasionally need to fight as they're treated like regular officers in terms of power. You will also note how Lightning and Water are very good for hitting some of the most dangerous enemy officers in the game (Lightning gets Dinolfos, Aeralfos, and Shield Moblins, Water gets Lizalfos and Fiery Aeralfos and, for this game only, Redead Knights). Light and Dark hit a lot of characters for supereffective damage with the tradeoff that the regular enemies they hit are the weakest and rarest regular enemy officers. Fire... kinda blows in terms of effective damage, which would have made it the least preferred primary element if it wasn't for the fact that the effect on Water element attacks is loving garbo.

Also, elemental damage is determined by the weapon you use, not the moveset's various elemental attacks, which means that all of Sheik's attacks, from her normal string to her water tornado to her fire meteor, etc. etc. will always deal more damage to characters/enemies weak against Lightning like Ruto or Dinolfos (which leads to the funny image of Ruto taking increased damage to a loving water tornado of all things) while Ganondorf with his Lv. 4+ weapon would now deal increased damage to characters like Midna, Ghirahim, and Zant in addition to who he normally hits for supereffective damage like Link and Zelda, with all of his attacks due to the addition of the Light attribute to that weapon.

Now, I'll finish up my elemental weakness stuff and talk about giant bosses. Unlike regular characters/enemies, giant bosses take neutral damage from any element. Unlike regular characters/enemies, their WPGs are emptied quicker by the correct elemental attack: these elemental attacks usually apply the corresponding elemental effect to regular enemies which give you a good hint as to what will be effective against which boss's WPG when all is said and done. As for which boss's WPG is emptied faster by which elemental attack is as follows:

King Dodongo's WPG is emptied out further by Water-elemental attacks.
Gohma's WPG is emptied out further by Dark-elemental attacks.
Manhandla's WPG is emptied out further by Fire-elemental attacks.
Argorok's WPG is emptied out further by Lightning-elemental attacks.
The Imprisoned's WPG is emptied out further by Light-elemental attacks.
Ganon's WPG is emptied out further by Light-elemental attacks.
Helmaroc King's WPG is emptied out further by Fire-elemental attacks.
Phantom Ganon's WPG is emptied out further by Light-elemental attacks.

What stumps most people is that elemental damage and elemental attacks are not the same thing in this game. elemental damage is determined by weapon and is what affects character and officer enemy weaknesses. Elemental attacks are assigned to each individual attack in a moveset (an attack is either neutral which doesn't affect anything or of one of the five elements which typically comes with the corresponding elemental effect) and is what determines if the attack can down a particular Giant Boss's WPG faster than any other.

And as some people know, certain bosses recover from their particular downed state faster than others which means that Light elemental attacks are extremely useful to have for a boss killer, then comes Fire, Dark, and Lightning-elemental attacks in that order. Water-elemental attacks is the least useful elemental attack to have because King Dodongo, the only one whose WPG takes more damage from Water-element attacks is also the boss that recovers the slowest which means that the majority of the characters can easily take his WPG down in one go with the right attacks. This is why Sheik, whose C3 is Fire-elemental will empty Manhandla's WPG faster than it would against, say, Argorok.

Bonus Lesson: So some might wonder why people say water is the worst element in HW when clearly Fire isn't hitting very many (hard) enemies for supereffective damage? Well, that is all because of it's elemental effect. See, Water applies a damage-over-time effect to the enemy which sounds good. What is not so good is that said effect makes the enemies flinch whenever that damage applies which is very bad if you're doing a combo on them as the flinch makes them fall out of your combos and tanks your character's combo potential (and damage output by proxy). In contrast, Fire's effect is not good, but not bad either, Light is fine when you can apply it which you can't really plan around (but when you can take advantage of it, it works very well), Lightning applies a very useful increased damage output to launched enemies which increases damage output, and Dark vastly increases (and continues to increase to a very good max) damage against a single enemy which is actually incredibly useful since most strong enemies are dispatched through 1v1. One of the best water-element users: King Daphnes, avoids the Water effect entirely for his combos since the ones that do apply it (C4, C6) are his crowdclearers while the attacks used for his actual combos (C2, C3, C5) are neutral.

By contrast, Water as a secondary element on a Lv. 4+ weapon is actually very good because of the difference between elemental damage and elemental attacks outlined above. Weapons without Water-element attacks gain all the benefits of dealing supereffective damage to regular enemies without the horrible Water effect tanking their combo potential. The element that is the worst secondary element is of course Fire because you get the smallest (and least useful) supereffective pool of enemies and won't empty Manhandla and Helmaroc King's WPGs faster than normal.

Also, if you're wondering which characters are the best of their respective elements when given to the hands of an experienced player, here's the generally agreed upon list:

Fire: Volga
Water: Ruto & King Daphnes
Lightning: Yuga
Light: Master Sword!Link
Dark: Great Sword!Ganondorf, Young Link, & Skull Kid

Whereas if you want to know which characters of each element that is the best to use when you're just starting out and learning the game, here's another list:

Fire: Magic Rod!Link, Volga, Linkle
Water: Giant Blade!Impa, Marin
Lightning: Sheik, Book of Sorcery!Lana, Trident!Ganondorf
Light: Hylian Sword!Link, Master Sword!Link
Dark: Great Sword!Ganondorf, Cia, Twili Midna, Skull Kid

Jade Mage posted:

Anyone know the easiest route to get Toon Zelda? I tried it a while ago and got dunked (though, admittedly, I was exceedingly low level) and was looking to give it another try but this being the first time I really played the game navigating the adventure map is a logistical nightmare of a puzzle

Get your character to lv. 10-15 and a decent Rank 1 weapon. Remember to pick up a Cannon item card because you need it to bomb a rock on her square (one is gotten easily on the Spirit Tracks side).

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Jade Mage posted:

Thank you both, I'll take a look when I get off work, I just was looking around for a cannon and the only even relatively close I could find was limited to Toon Zelda :v:

Also, for the actual mission itself, it's a divisive plan mission which means you'll be fighting a Dark version of a character that split themselves upon losing enough health. I recommend going in with a dark user (preferably Ganondorf with Great Sword since his C1 when fully charged makes you immune to damage as he's rising for the ground punch).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Also, lmao: I was doing Zelda's Dominion Rod mission with Ganondorf as the second playable character and the battle intro for Ganondorf when I finally went to face him showed him riding his steed and levitating using the Wind Waker attire since that was the costume I had on him at the time. :allears:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/Folt99/status/999054463137546240

Gonna experiment with this once I get more costumes/recolors for Ganondorf.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Jade Mage posted:

Alrighty folks you ready for a riddle? I'm playing the Termina Map, the world ended and I started adventuring east because I see a sweet Zelda weapon I'm hoping is my beloved baton. Get to area 4 down 13 across (the one with the goron face). "Sup, the enemies are hidden and need to be revealed"

Okay... So where are the Zora masks to reveal them? There's one right there, but I can't get past 4d-13a to get to it. I check to the south, nada. I check to the north, nada. Okay they must be west... There they are! I start mapping the route and lo and behold, 4d6a has hidden loving enemies that need to be revealed.

How the gently caress does this work, can someone who knows what they're doing explain to me what the hell is happening here?

My map for reference

Go north and to the right: You need the Goron Mask to reveal the hidden enemies.

(BTW you are right in that the Zelda weapon down in the east there is the Baton.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Akett posted:

Is there any particular reason other than sheer completion to get an A rank on a mission if there aren't any A rank rewards or adjacent map unlocks?

With the exception of a sense of achievement (and some medals), not really, no.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I think I input the game in a bad state. I reran the first campaign map, and it says to capture two keeps I already have captured. It won’t progress. :downs:

Edit: I captured the enemy base and killed Wizzro and still nothing :laffo:

I think you're supposed to go see the Great Fairy by that point.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kin posted:

Does the drop rate of food increase the more you collect?

There's a few maps with what look like mushrooms as reward, so I'm just wondering if they're different from eachother and as a result with a wider variety of food that could drop, you end up getting more on average as you play.

Food items are divided into different types of food (plant, fish, meat, weird, etc.) and the various icons indicate a gold drop of that type is hidden on that level. It will always be the same food item, and when you get it the first time, it becomess unlocked as a drop from regular enemies, with different enemies dropping different food so the more food drops you unlock, the more chances you have of getting some food from any battle.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

FPzero posted:

He does pretty well for himself with his C2 (body slam) and C4 (lava pool) if enemies are right next to you, and his C5 (big rock throw) is both really strong, his distance, and is pretty large to hit big groups of dudes in front of you. It's just that his basic attacks are pretty slow so investing in the Nayru's Love badges early probably wouldn't hurt.

Had to think about your post for a little, but I see what combos you're referring to now. Usually, you don't refer to YYX (C3) or YYYYX (C5) as C2 or C4, but the attack descriptions make it abundantly clear what attacks you are refering to anyways.

I think that C4 (in my case, I'm referring to the slam attack that makes fire pillars fire outward in a straight line) is also a good way to clear out crowds, and it's also a good move for Darunia to use against enemy officers/characters due to the range, damage output, and the knockback of it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Is there a correspondence between the levels of a scenario in Adventure Mode and the level a character ought to be to attempt it?

Define "level".

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Senerio posted:

I do that with Zant all the time honestly. I'd rather fight 5 Volgas than a Zant that I don't massively outlevel to be honest.

The trick to Zant is to always block his attacks. Eventually, he'll overheat like he does when you play as him which exposes his WPG and allows you to easily set up on him.

FPzero posted:

Then, is there no C1 in that format? Because I'd been assuming the whole C# format was saying like "Combo 1 = C1 = YX, Combo 2 = C2 = YYX," etc. because of how many times you push the regular attack button before hitting the special attack one. Is C1 meant to be just X?

We usually refer to C1 as just the X button press, yes. The number just refers to how many button presses needed to execute the attack, including the X button. Usually, the C1 is an attack that can break guards, but the Warriors games made using Nintendo franchises use C1 as the designated special move button which includes that among others special moves (while the other C#s more closely follow established Charge Attack traditions).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

FPzero posted:

Ah, that makes sense now, especially if the format comes from games before this one.

Yes. Basically, just think of the number as signifying when the input of the X button should happen and this is fine.

I also tend to refer to individual attacks in the character's basic string (the Y attacks) as R#. This comes up very rarely unlike the C#s but it's good when I need to note certain things, like how Ruto's R6 for instance empties Giant Boss WPGs like you wouldn't believe, Lana's R6 to R7 does the same thing, and Trident!Dorf's R7 is a pretty good projectile for zoning, or how the properties of Ravio's R2 to R4 (R2 has a little beam projectile, R3 flattens enemies into the ground, and R4 has a bomb as a projectile) makes it easy for him to combo characters into his C5.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I'm doing the Lorule Map and I'm... not entirely sure what it wants me to do? I cleared all the squares I can around the starting area but I'm boxed in by two "the enemy is hiding" spaces and can't select anything else, and none of my item cards work on either of the selectable maps. Any help?

Have you gone into Lorule yet? You should have gotten an item card that lets you enter the first fissure you found.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ElegantFugue posted:

I don't MIND that one? But oh my god game stop playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTFPE6yrbY at the end of every single map, it sucks. One of the bigger upgrades in Fire Emblem Warriors was that its standard "switch to this track for the last quarter of a level" tracks were all really good, but Kumite or whatever is just annoying.

I am always very happy when Cia or Ganondorf ends up as the enemy commander of a given mission because that usually means they bring their own boss music to the field (not always in Ganondorf's case, but often enough).

And yes, one point for Fire Emblem Warriors for having pretty much all it's "end mission" tracks be loving awesome to listen to!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

tithin posted:

Mounts were garbage and being unable to reliably control your movements made them unfun to play

Archers were great for chewing up crowds but loving garbo at officers - unfortunately FE Musou was a game predicated on chewing up officers, not crowds.

Mages felt boring and felt like they had nothing to contribute being poor at both officer destruction and crowds

The music wasn't great

Too many fates / awakening characters (and I say that as someone who only got into the series at Awakening)

History mode felt like a poor mans adventure map mode, being both shorter and less interesting.

Buying skills was extremely grating

While some are bad, a decent amount of mounted characters are actually loving great, and have some of the better movesets in the game! Xander and the Pegasus Knights particularly stand out.

Archers also have one of the better movesets in the game. Same for Mages who usually does well in both officer and crowdkilling.

Music was significantly better than HW.

Bias in the first Musou installment isn't new to any Musou, particularly focusing on small subsets of certain series.

Honestly, I think the History Mode maps were perfectly designed in length and interest, with the little histories on each and not taking such a goddamn amount of time to complete.

I don't mind buying skills though, but I can see why it'd be grating. But just about every Musou has something that could be found grating.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Rirse posted:

I know this is the Hyrule Warriors thread, but I haven't gone back to Fire Emblem Warriors after I tried to do the map that lets you recruit Ana even through I was underlevel. It was a pain to kill anything but I did manage to beat everyone and was hitting the time limit when I beat the captain at the enemy base when the map refused to end and had another boss you need to kill appear and I ran out of time fighting them. Like why did it even have a time limit to begin with.

At least HW didn't throw 'oh here is a map where you need to be level 70' on the first drat map like FEW did.

Have you heard of the Reward Map? That's basically Hyrule Warriors's version of Anna missions and they require endgame levels to beat (+ in the original and Legends, the damage taken limit was like the early missions and not the red square missions) and feature stuff like bosses appearing after another boss and the like.

EDIT:

Oxxidation posted:

sheik is so busted as a character that it feels like a joke on the devs' part

"why yes she does have some of the best officer-killing potential of the OG cast and she does have some of the highest agility and highest attack power and this one technique of hers does make her invulnerable with no downside, why do you ask"

When you're just starting out, that is basically Sheik in a nutshell. hard-hitting, invulnerable, and with fast attacks.

But then she starts to lose a bit of her luster when you hit the endgame/postgame, when enemies in general start hitting hard and down your shield in one hit. at that point, her low damage starts to tank her damage output as well and she can't rely on her special to get high damage like the others because Sheik has the weakest special in the game (because you can technically spam it). And her best damage dealer at that point requires her to set it up or it's going to be rather useless. That said, postgame she's still better than a lot of the others, even though she is no longer the best character.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 28, 2018

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

her fire seal is probably one of the best officer killers in the game because the AI is too stupid to guard against an attack on a time delay

Personally, the start-up on that one is so long that the officer will 9 times out of ten have left it's range if you do not set it up. It's not as spamable or as versatile as some other "power" attacks.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Tae posted:

Is Volga's C4 just completely invincible when he gets into dragon form?

Yes. His C5 makes him invincible once he turns into a dragon, and he stays invincible up until he transforms back.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

So there's this quiz mission on the first Adventure map where the rank A reward requires playing as Zant and the third quiz gives you an option between Ganondorf (the right answer) and... a Bokoblin.

I guess I'm not getting all the heart containers, but I'd still like to know how Zant of all characters can avoid doing area damage in that battle?

I boomeranged the Bokoblin, then just attacked Ganondorf with regular attacks and whatnot.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

That makes sense, but it sounds like it would take forever. I'll come back with a better weapon.

It is an extremely trollish mission because it's equivalent on the OG Hyrule Warriors had Midna instead.

By the time I attempted it on this version, I had Zant's Lv. 2 weapon (with 5 stars) so it ended up being alright, but God was this a pain to deal with on Legends when I didn't know about it.

Calaveron posted:

Man Phantom Ganon is obnoxious to fight

He is the only Giant Boss in the game besides the Imprisoned that do not require items. It's no surprise he's one of the second-most annoying ones.

For the uninitiated, for the first phase, you must swat the projectiles he fires at you back at him (the lightning ball must be done multiple times, the dark ball barrage only needs to be done once). For the second phase when he takes out the second sword, you must dodge behind him and attack three times consecutively to down him.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

tithin posted:

Turn camera away from goblin, lure Ganon into corner, slay

If the camera is off the goblin, it won't render and it will stay passive and out of aoe range

To the guy asking for bandages, the story map where you invade the shrine to links many forms has a ton of them. If you use the mats pots, you can get up to 10ish?per run, maybe more

RatHat posted:

Is that the one that asks you to defeat the "horse rider"? I got that wrong the first time because Ganondorf rides a horse in some cutscenes.

Ah yeah, that's also a thing.

Been doing quite a few things out of order recently. Current Lv. 4+ weapons gotten (usually without getting some of the lower-ranked ones). Some, particularly the Grand Travels weapons, can easily be done using someone other than the required character:

Hylian Sword (Link, unlocked his Lv. 3 weapon before I got the 4+ version so yeah, but at least he can now hit enemies for supereffective damage using any of the elements in the game now)
Gauntlets (Link)
Summoning Gate (Lana)
Dominion Rod (Zelda)
Great Sword (Ganondorf)
Scimitar (Zant)
Ring (Wizzro)
Sand Wand (Toon Link)
Cutlass (Tetra, did it using only a 5* Rank 1 Cutlass and Tetra leveled to Lv. 40)
Rito Harp (Medli)
Bell (Marin, actually has no character requirements at all so I went hogwild using my most powerful ones haha)
Rental Hammer (Ravio, him and Yuga are the only ones to date where I properly unlocked all the weapons in order for this edition)
Picture Frame (Yuga)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Viridiant posted:

What level weapons should I tackle the Lorule map with? I tried to beeline all the characters after beating Legend mode and the Lorule characters were the only ones it was too hard to get to.

Technically, it's best to do so with Lv. 3 weapons, but if it's only characters, it should be fine with a decent Lv. 1 weapon.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Pierson posted:

I'm really getting my teeth into the first adventure mode map and it's fun as poo poo. I like how it encourages me to learn characters I otherwise wouldn't give a drat about. It rules except for when it made me unlock Tingle and play as Tingle to unlock Twili Midna.

What's the point of the level each individual stage has though? Just a recommended minimum character level?

How difficult it is relative to other missions of the same type on the map.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

What map / where abouts is this one located? I don't see any link 4+ on Grand Travels, I'm guessing its one of the ones on Lorule but the only one I've managed to get to so far is the 4+ epona. (Didnt try the mission since I only have rank 1)

You are correct. Koholint Island had mainly side character Lv. 4+ weapons + one tertiary Link and Lana Lv. 4+ weapon (because Link and Lana were the only characters who had more than two weapons in OG Hyrule Warriors; Zelda's Dominion Rod was DLC in the original so it was shunted off to Lorule), Grand Travels had mainly villain Lv. 4+ weapons as well as the secondary Lv. 4+ weapon for characters who have one (with the exception of Linkle because the Boots weapons are all found on Koholint), while Lorule basically has all the Lv. 4+ weapons for characters with a choice for multiple weapons that aren't found in the other two maps (which includes the primary weapon for everyone who has one).

So Link's Hylian Sword is found in the Lorule Map, on a red square mission.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Mylan posted:

Is there some min-max thing going on with weapon levels? I think i've seen someone mention unlocking them in a certain order? So far my plan was to just play the adventure maps in order, dipping into later ones only to unlock chars who are required in earlier maps (like toon link for the first map).

Higher rank weapons get more slots which means more weapon skills, so even if you're not getting all those Rank 3-4 weapons for the power boost they give, it's worth getting them for the amount of weapon skills you can cram onto a higher-rank weapon (+ the Lv. 4+ versions have a secondary element in addition to the main element to hit more enemies for supereffective damage).

There's no need to unlock weapons in a set order if you're experienced at the game (I've been unlocking weapons out of order for quite some time now because as someone who played Hyrule Warriors and Hyrule Warriors Legends, I've gotten a pretty good understanding of the various movesets to know how to possibly proceed with an underpowered character... and occasionally get around restrictions).

I say that you can get away with just a decent lv. 1 weapon here though because the early missions of Lorule Map is not very hard and can be done with lv. 10 characters packing a good lv. 1 weapon, up to and including unlocking Yuga, as well as Ravio and Yuga's Lv. 2 weapons (something underlined by the fact that both come at lv. 15 when unlocked).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Is there some trick to the "Defeat your enemies...with kindness!" stages? I got one and there's a million things happening at once, some soldiers spawn, it tells me to protect them, they instantly die, a ghosts spawns and makes me instantly lose.

You will loathe that event like the plague. If you don't make sure that the Hylian Captain makes it back safe and sound to the Allied Base, he will come back as a Hylian Ghost and bring all sorts of misfortunes on your army like making everyone flee (if the map allows a secondary character, them fleeing makes the game think they died which is why you lost) or taking away your Rupees, lowering your allies' morale, etc.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

This game's difficulty makes no sense. Ghirahim's 4+ weapon mission is absurdly hard to the point I couldn't manage an A with Shiek's 4+.

Ghirahim is plenty capable of doing his Lv. 4+ weapon mission himself, though it being a red square does limit when he can do it.

Though, I'm curious: What problems did you encounter when doing it that kept you from the A Rank? I know of one particular thing that throws a curveball at most players in that mission.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

The enemy damage I think was the thing that lost me my rank - everything was just shredding my health even with the water shield. Stuff also feels like it has a lot of health. Keeping up with the mission felt difficult - I couldn't get both bombchus at the start - they have too much and are too far apart, I'm not sure if my Ghirahim has the damage to help enough (still has a rank 1 weapon.) Once I clear the first objective my keep gets swarmed while Toon Link goes off to fight Volga and I basically need to run off and heal him before I can clear my keep out. I think if I were to keep Toon Zelda alive, she might keep some of that stuff out of my keep?

The enemies just feel surprisingly tanky for having a 4+ weapon.

That was the thing I remember being something that would stump a couple players. I particularly remember Volga's keep having an elemental barrier: dispelling that let's Toon Link hold his own for a while against Volga while you clear out the Allied Base.

Practically all red square Lv. 4+ weapon missions are like this. Enemies do butt-high damage and you need to start watching your health because even a single hit can take away a ton of hearts.

You've also hit on one of the reason for why Sheik eventually falls from the lofty standards of breaking the game over it's knee for you: Enemies eventually do so much damage that one hit is more than enough to destroy the shield, and Sheik's moveset is not particularly safe when she does not have the shield to fall back on.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Viridiant posted:

When characters are your allies, is their strength and health based on the level they'are at in your roster? I'm talking about when they're the version of themselves that you can't switch to during a battle. I'm just curious, I don't have any particular reason to ask this.

No. It's only if you can switch between them. It's especially noticeable on the Koei Villain Trio, since they will blatantly use their CPU moveset to fight.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Oyster posted:

Folt can respond with a huge in depth analysis but the basics are:

You are indeed correct: Weapon Base power increases by 10% for every star yes, up to a maximum of 50% of the weapon's base power at 5 stars.

Skills that increase the damage output generally do not show it as you said, usually by around 10%. That they do not show it is a good thing: Battle scenarios in this game has a damage cap that your weapon's base power is affected by, and these skills apply their damage boost after the damage cap has been applied (if needed), making them the only way to boost damage output on any kind of map.

General Skills

5000 KO Skills: There's only one such skill; Heart Power, and it is mandatory on every ultimate weapon build because it boosts damage all around with no downsides other than needing to increase your health pool. It can be unlocked relatively early if you're dilligent at Skulltula killing.

3000 KO Skills: No Healing is the general best and most versatile of the bunch, of which the limit is only one such skill per weapon. Defenseless is the second best though you lose your best option against giant bosses and certain characters if you pick it. Compatriot offers a solid increase, but is very situational. The rest is pretty much garbage. These are also unlocked relatively early if you're dilligent at Skulltula killing.

ATK Skills: Strong Attack+, Strong II+, Strong IV+, etc. most weapons will want any leftover slots fill up with these when your 4000 KO slots, Heart Power, and the 3000 KO skill slot is decided upon. The more technical you play, the more of these you will want, and they should be used to boost your most used C#s.

2000 KO Skills: The best of the situational skills. Vs. Dragon is the best general pick, but you should pick a Vs. Skill that best covers your weakness against certain enemies that you have problems with, and as many of them as you can possibly get with just one Vs. Skill, because the limit is only one.

Elemental Skills: Honestly they are all very situational. Darkness+ and Fire+ are the most useful of the bunch and work for certain character builds. Light+ is.. kinda just there, and you should never take Water+ or Lightning+, ever. They are so not worth the slot.

1000 KO Skills: Used for niché builds. Arrows+ is generally the most useful skill of this bunch because Powered-Up Bow is pretty good, though Bombs+ can work in certain builds in an even more niché manner.

Legendary: Mandatory on Rank 1 and Rank 2 weapons that you like the look of. It's pretty useless for Rank 4/4+ weapons since this skill, unlike other damage increasing skills, increases a weapon's damage output by altering it's base power, and remember what I said above about base power being subject to the damage cap? Yeah. On top of that, because the other skills are percentage based, the boost this skill gives to a Rank 4/4+ weapon is laughably small due to the already high base power of these weapons. This skill cannot be unlocked for weapons until the Master Sword is completely unsealed.

4000 KO Skills

Unlike the 3000 and 5000 KO skills, these unlock at 90 Skulltulas which will take some time. You can take two of these, and you really, really want to: Finishing Blow+ is pretty much mandatory on every character because WPSes account for a good amount of your damage output. Hasty Attacks is also beneficial for the majority, with a couple outliers who either must learn new combos to keep their damage output, or doesn't benefit at all:

Hylian Sword!Link: Can actually take down the WPGs of giant bosses without using a Special. Unfortunately, one of his combos do not work well with Hasty Attacks, and his Special is pretty bad so the consensus is to take Regular Attack+ and use his Special for Giant Bosses and to get out of jams if he needs to.

Naginata!Impa: I've heard this messes up her combos. Frankly, I do not see why, but I do think that she actually benefits very little, if at all from Hasty Attacks. Take Special Attack+ if you're not taking Hasty Attacks.

Sheik: One of the characters who must learn a new set of combos to benefit from Hasty Attacks because the skill destroys her old combos. Honestly, I don't really see the point: Sheik benefits very little from Hasty Attacks as-is, so if you agree, take Special Attack+ so you can turn her Special into an actually decent damage dealer. You could also try Heartstrong because of her shield, but please keep in mind that Sheik is not very safe if she does not have the Shield up, and postgame enemies do quite a bit of damage with even their weakest hits

Book of Sorcery!Lana: Another character who should learn new combos in order to benefit from Hasty Attacks since her old combo gets ruined by it. Not as debilitating as Sheik, but she also doesn't benefit too much from it since she can already do what she wants to do with her normal attack speed. Invest in Special Attack+ if you don't take HA since Lana's special is actually pretty goddamn good.

Trident!Ganondorf: Giving him Hasty Attacks let's him empty the WPGs of more Giant Bosses than only King Dodongo and Argorok (and the timing is pretty tight on King Dodongo). However, the Trident is perhaps the weapon whose combos, and thus damage output, gets utterly ruined by Hasty Attacks because the knockback eventually gets so high that enemies get flung across the stage. Take Regular Attack+ instead: Ganondorf's attack string has a projectile at the end.

Volga: Hasty Attacks somewhat debilitates his combo game, but to nowhere near the extent of the Trident. Still, Volga does not benefit a whole lot from it since what he wants to do is already easily accomplished with his normal attack speed. Invest in Regular Attack+ if you don't take Hasty Attacks for him.

Young Link: Do not take Hasty Attacks with Young Link, not because he doesn't benefit from it, but because Hasty Attacks doesn't stack with Focus Spirit, and Young Link wants to be in Focus Spirit for the majority of the battle (and this is basically achievable in almost every battle). Focus Spirit+ is the replacement skill for obvious reasons.

Sand Wand!Toon Link: Hasty Attacks also debilitates his combo game. I don't think it's as debilitating as many of the above examples, but it's something to keep in mind. Take Regular Attack+ if you don't take Hasty Attacks in any case.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's something funny about Folt being adamant that Shiek is bad (or at the very least drops off) then you go on youtube and the guy who mains hyrule warriors and has created guides for every installment/walkthroughs for literally everything goes "Nah Shiek is actually the best in the entire game outside Master Sword (unlocked) Link"

Fun reasoning behind his picks and I can't exactly disagree with most of it.

Yes, she drops off, she's not in the top 10 best characters, but she's still good enough to comfortably keep herself on the high end of good characters.

I mostly disagree with a good amount of the placements on his Top 10 list, mostly because I think his guides (even now) are somewhat outdated in terms of peak player skill. About the only one I agree with is Ghirahim, who we've pretty much placed in the same spot for pretty much the same reasons.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

FPzero posted:

What do you mean when you say a character must "learn new combos"? Do you mean that they attack so fast the window of pulling off certain specials becomes inconsistent or something?

Continuously attacking enemies in this game tends to scale the knockback that your attacks does. It varies with each attack, but after some time, if you're not careful enough, the knockback scales to the point where enemies are eventually knocked clean out of your combo and sent way, way far. And you can't not let up on attacking them for a while since a decent part of the enemies also have super frames or recover in the air. Hasty Attacks occasionally hastens this for some characters, enough that their tried and true combos will not work because the knockback becomes too much before they're done comboing.

For others, like Lana (and Hylian Sword!Link), certain attacks simply doesn't connect well when you're using Hasty Attacks, ruining your damage output with your combos. Lana can work around this with a new combo devised for Hasty Attacks players, but Link can't.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks guys.

Oh hey why are they called Level 4+ weapons and not Level 5 weapons?

Also, where do the 8-bit weapons fall into this whole mess? Are they the final, best levels of each weapon where they exist? I know you can turn them off in the options menu, how does that work?

Because they are functionally exactly as powerful as Lv. 4 weapons, you're just able to deal two kinds of elemental damage with it.

EDIT: 8-Bit weapons are skins for Lv. 4+ weapons. Basically, they're skins of the Lv. 4+ weapons whose weapon type had an unlockable 8-Bit version in OG Hyrule Warriors; basically any weapon that appeared in the base version of that game.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

In the options menu, there’s an 8-bit Weapon on/off toggle. I’m assuming setting it to “off” doesn’t actually disable those weapons from the game entirely, but rather simply makes the game retain the Level 4 weapon skins on the Level 4+ weapons where the 8-bit skins would have been, correct?

Correct. If it's set to off, you'll see the normal Lv. 4+ skins on the weapons for every character. On means every weapon that had an 8-Bit version gets their Lv. 4+ weapons' appearances set to their respective 8-Bit appearances.

The weapons (and characters by association) that were present in the original Hyrule Warriors at the beginning, and therefore possess an 8-Bit skin, are:

Hylian Sword (Link): 8-Bit Wooden Sword (with the 8-bit Wooden Shield as the accompanying shield)
Magic Rod (Link): 8-Bit Candle
Gauntlets (Link): 8-Bit Power Bracelets (with the 8-Bit Raft as the ball-and-chain)
Great Fairy (Link): 8-Bit Fairy
Giant Blade (Impa): 8-Bit Boomerang
Naginata (Impa): 8-Bit Magical Sword
Goddess Harp (Sheik): 8-Bit Stepladder
Book of Sorcery (Lana): 8-Bit Book of Magic
Spear (Lana): 8-Bit Magic Rod
Summoning Gate (Lana): 8-Bit Compass
Rapier (Zelda): 8-Bit White Sword
Baton (Zelda): 8-Bit Recorder
Great Swords (Ganondorf): 8-Bit Magical Key
Hammer (Darunia): 8-Bit Food
Zora Scale (Ruto): 8-Bit Clock
Shackle (Midna): 8-Bit Red Ring
Parasol (Agitha): 8-Bit Rupee
Scimitar (Zant): 8-Bit Magic Boomerang
Goddess Blade (Fi): 8-Bit Silver Arrow
Demon Blade (Ghirahim): 8-Bit Wooden Arrow

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kin posted:

Is it worth investing the time into grinding up the beast Ganon challenge mode?

I heard its good for boss and character materials, but is it better than grinding out particular maps in adventure mode for individual characters or bosses?

Level him up to 60-70 or so if you want to. By that point, Ganon's Fury does offer quite a lot of giant boss materials for relatively little time.

Also, incidentally, but compared to Fire Emblem Warriors, this game feels pretty... rushed. Incomplete. It seems to take one step back for every two steps forward, and I can't help but feel that it's predecessors were more finished games.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Way more fun though

Not really. It's starting to grind on me like hell, and having the Legends DLC be so obviously less integrated into this edition than the OG DLC characters were in Legends is sad to see.

And I cannot access the Bazaar from the Adventure Maps anymore which makes the game less QoL in one notable aspect compared to it's predecessors. :negative:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

You can. You have to go into the character select screen for a square, but you don't need to back out to the main menu or anything like that.

I used to be able to skip that and just go straight into the Bazaar from the map itself. Going into a mission in order to access the Bazaar is decidedly less QoL, especially since Adventure Mode is where a lot of the game content lies.

Related to that is that I can't access My Fairy from any of the Adventure Maps either, but at least it's still accessible from the main menu.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kin posted:

Is there a way to see your level outside of the fighting itself?

It's Ganon, so no. You're not gonna be able to.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Srice posted:

It has crashed way more than any other game I've played on the Switch. Hoping they put a patch out at some point to fix it up.

Pretty much. It has to do with memory leakage from what I've heard, so the game occasionally crashes once the memory becomes too much to handle.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kin posted:

So i've started trying for a few other 4+ early(ish) weapons and i'm making slow progress through the phantom hourglass map for some of them (dueto the item that lets you use any character).

It looks as though characters with more difficult lower level weapons are there (Volga/Wizzro), but even with the sealed master sword and a level 115 link it's slow going.

I've all but cleared out the first 2 maps, for weapons. Which levels do i need to collect to unlock the master sword abilities again? All level 1's for the first then all level 3's for the second?

The first ability takes the damage up to 500 right and the second 900?

Lv. 1-3 for the first. Lv. 4s and 4+es for the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

Lv. 1-3 for the first. Lv. 4s and 4+es for the second.

Correcting myself on this: You need Lv. 1-3 for Evil's Bane, Lv. 4 only for Exorcism. Also, they only need to drop once which means that unlocking higher rank weapons can shorten the time getting Evil's Bane and Exorcism to unlock because unlocking a higher rank adds the rest to the drop pool.