Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Japan
Yamagata Prefecture
Yonezawa City

Five years ago, the world ended.

After the skies rained fire, after the youth fell asleep surrounded by friends and family and awoke surrounded by death, after the giant forests and strange beasts claimed the land, some chose to survive.

A large group of survivors found a home up in the mountains. In the ruins of a city once called Yonezawa they met others and started trying to rebuild something like a society. Surrounded by healthy orchards of apple, cherry and strawberry, they prepared to live and restart.

But then came the bugs. A swarm of giant insects swooped in on the orchards without warning and the newborn, fragile society was torn apart. Stepping over the dead bodies of their companions, some managed to flee.

They were saved by the snow. As the deep, frigid cold of Yonezawa's winter rolled in, the insects ended their campaign and returned to nest among the ruins of what the survivors had built. Half-frozen and starving, the remaining survivors managed to put up a simple shelter near the ruins of Yonezawa's old town hall, living off of fruit preserves made during their time in the orchard.

One of the members who survived the destruction of the old Camp told stories of the history of Yonezawa to pass the cold winter nights. He had hung an old banner showing an emblem of twin sparrows in the shelter, and spoke with reverence of the heroism of the Uesugi Clan. Once, Yonezawa had been their seat. To the members of the Camp, the Uesugi became objects of worship. Surrounded by darkness and howling, freezing winds, the survivors prayed to the spirits of the Uesugi to watch over them and keep them. Perhaps the ancient lords of the land heard, for somehow the tiny, makeshift Camp made it through the winter.

Now, the thaw is coming. There's no food and no time. The insects might start expanding their territory any day now, but starvation or exposure might end things first. At this rate, this fragile Camp won't last another season. It's time to strike out. With a prayer to the Uesugi in your hearts, you bid the twin sparrow flag farewell and venture forth.

The Game
Welcome to the very first English playtest of LOST, a free indie RPG. I recently finished translating the core rulebook, and during this game I'll be looking for lots of feedback about the translation, the presentation, as well as commentary on the system itself. I'm in close contact with the creator, and I'm sure they would love to get some helpful pointers on ways to improve or expand the game.

You can find the whole English rulebook here:
https://ancientscars.wordpress.com/project-1-lost-trpg/

We'll be playing without any house rules (aside from me creating some original enemies to see how that works), so please make sure you're familiar with them.

The game will be play-by-post.

I'll be looking for 4-5 players. The deadline for character apps is next Tuesday (the 29th), though I do understand that with Monday being a holiday some people may need a little extra time. Just ask! I'll be happy to wait.

For questions/concerns/comments on the game you can chat with me on Discord:
https://discord.gg/SvGC7df
Or you can chat about the game/translation on the thread I set up for it:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856054

Let's survive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Kuwabatake Chiharu, the Adult

quote:

"Listen up, you little runts, I'm only going to say this once. You feel that draft? You hear that congestion Ippei-kun's been trying to hide, that sound you all told me was a bear at 3 in the drat morning? That, kids, is Mother Nature, and she is raring to chop you up and fry you for lunch. So stay put and hear what I gotta say."

"You are fortunate, blessed, drat near sanctified to be in the company of a bona-fide mountain survivalist. I have braved the peaks of Mount Kilimanjaro and El Dorado, I have drained blood from enough grizzlies to paint this house red. Stick with me, and maybe your face'll still be attached a week after we leave bird city."

Stamina Base: 5
Stamina: 10

Willpower Base: 10
Willpower: 10

Carrying Capacity: 5

Specialties
Slash
Rest
Machinery
Yell
Appraise
Dodge

Abilities
Savings
Veteran
Weapon Attack: Slash
Practice: Slash

Gear
Machete
Luxury Goods
Flashlight
Blanket

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Some things, you might want to check the item tables since there are numbers that aren't fitting in cells (the katana, for one). There's a reference to the specialty Electronics that I assume is now Machinery for the Transceiver item.

The Specialty list is going to need a lot of detail I think, it's hard to really tell what you're supposed to do with skills like "wait" and "fall", or what the difference is between "walk" and "run". I'd suggest condensing the list if possible, and definitely giving informative examples of which specialty does what. I understand that a survival game is going to rely on skill checks a lot more than a combat-focused game, but there should be a legitimate reason why each skill is there.

Some examples of play (i.e a party of survivors find an abandoned truck, they notice there's food in the truck, they break in but that attracts monsters) would be very helpful.

-as a QoL issue, having all the rules on separate pages of the site is a bit frustrating. Having a nice layout of all relevant tables and mechanics explanation on one page would be nice.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Your character looks good and that's some excellent feedback.

The charts definitely need a complete overhaul. I need to rethink how to space them or the font or something so everything fits more neatly and is easier to read.

I was actually thinking the same thing about the Specialties while I was translating them. Usually in a Saikoro Fiction game there is a big list that explains more specifically what each of the Specialties does (since usually they're just single verbs or whatever in the chart itself) and it'd be strange not to have one here. I'll probably ask the original creator to add that list in and then translate it. That should clear up some of the confusion over what each Specialty is used for.

Unfortunately condensing the list of Specialties would be impossible just due to how the system is set up. Since everything is based on where the Specialties are in relation to each other on the skill grid, there has to be exactly 6x11 Specialties. This may be the cause of some of the redundancy. But hopefully some clarity as to what does what can help.

The layout was just a necessity as I translated it piecemeal, but the plan for the end product is definitely a nice PDF with an index and everything. Before that I would like to go back through with everyone's feedback and touch everything up once before I lock it into a pdf.

A demo of play is forthcoming, it'll be the next thing I translate after I finish with the sample scenario which I'm working on now. Unfortunately the demo is quite big so it may take a while for me to translate at my usual pace.

Edit: Actually, I could just translate one scene from the demo to give folks an idea. I've had quite a few requests for a demo of play ASAP. I could post that up just so folks have something while I work on the rest of the demo. Yeah, let's go with that. I'll try to have it up over the weekend hopefully.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 25, 2018

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Soejima, the Wounded Scout

Born on the outskirts of Yonezawa, Soejima spent the first eight years of his life happily rambling in the outdoors, before his world (and everyone else's) ended. In his first summer foraging on own, Soejima suffered a bad cut on his right arm that became infected, then gangrenous; he was forced to use his remembered first-aid knowledge from his doctor parents to amputate the arm just above the elbow. Luckily, Soejima is left-handed, but being one-armed still makes a lot of things difficult, and he's had to rely on his legs and his wits to survive.

Soejima is loud and brash and seems very proud of himself, at least when he's relaxing. In survival situations, he's silent and serious, almost painfully so. Both of these are ways of keeping himself confident and not admitting how vulnerable he often feels because of his disability. Soejima's never learned how to use a weapon, and he tries his best to avoid or flee from danger.

He hasn't admitted it to anyone else in the Camp yet, but Soejima has a secret dream: go to back into the ruins of Yonezawa and search the area around his old home and his father's hospital for his father's heirloom pocket watch. Soejima doesn't want to be silly or sentimental, but he wants a little piece of home to hold onto and remember.

Specialties:
Wound (replaces Off Arm; restricts use of Consider/Throw/Deflect/Predict/Dodge/Yell/Stab/Fall)
Treat
Go Without Rest
Run
Geography
Search
Initiate

Abilities:
Escape
Multi-Task
First Aid

Stamina 10 (Stamina Base 5)
Willpower 10 (Willpower Base 10)
Carrying Capacity 5

Items:
Backpack (V5, W2, can carry 10 Weight of stuff)
Flashlight (V3, W1, +1 to Search, shines a light to cancel darkness)
2 batteries (V4, W0, Charges 1 item per battery)
Blanket (V1, W2, allows rest on cold days)
Fire Tool (V2, W0, flint and steel for starting fires... although Soejima can't use it well himself)

History: Loss
"You have lost something. You need to get it back."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Osaki Sakura, the New AgeČ

Um. T-thanks for taking me in. This isn't my first camp. The last one? Well... I mean... somebody... I don't know, a boss followed the hunters back and it just started, you know. Um. Everybody ran away. Or went away. M-me? I um, I um, I... I don't... I was just scared. I know it saw me. I have horns, I-I'm no good at hiding with these, and it just came up to me and- and it didn't do anything. it just kind of nudged my horns with its own and then it went away. Maybe it thought I was like it, b-but it's wrong! I'm nothing like it!

I-I can be useful, though! Really! I can help make your machines light up, like they did in the old days. A-and I have this box, it has music on it? I'll share it with you. What, searching? Well, I... we have to keep everybody safe. It can't be like anything. It's not me, I'm not bad luck, or a monster, I'm just... rare. A rare settler! It's like winning a prize having me around. Honest. What's a prize? Well, um, they were something they used to give out, I think... back when there was stuff to give away...

pre:

Name: Osaki Sakura	Class: New AgeČ	Age: 10			History: Death
Stamina Base: 5		Stamina: 10	Willpower Base: 10	Willpower: 10
Carrying Capacity: 5	Equipped Wt: 3	Storage: 5		Storage Wt.: 1

Specialties: Deflect, Find, Flee, Hit, Machinery, Off Hand

Ability			Type	Recoil	Specialty	Target	Effect

Generator		Int	2	Machinery	-	If you succeed in the Speciality check, [Charge] 1 item.
Sudden Mutation		Pmt	-	-		-	Gain Horns.
-- Horn			Ast	2	-		-	Used in combination with a Hit check: damage +1.
Telekinesis		Int	2	Deflect		-	Used immediately before damage is assigned. If you succeed.
								If you succeed in the Specialty check, assigned damage is -1.
Weapon Attack		Atk	-	Hit		-	If you success at the chosen Specialty check, you deal
								damage equal to the [Power] of the weapon equipped to Hit.
								Add 2 to the Hit check for this attack.

Item			Value	Weight	Type	Area	Spec	Target	Trait	Effect

Portable Radio		8	1	Ast	-	Use	All	Charge	Can be used during Search Phase. Every 
										party member [Willpower] +1d3.
Trunk Case		7	3	Eqp	2 Hand	Hit	Self	Bag,	Attack Power 3. Can hold items 
									Weapon, with a Combined Weight of 5.
									Melee

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Sample of play is up
https://ancientscars.wordpress.com/2018/05/27/lost-sample-of-play/
This should give a little more of an idea of what the game looks like in action.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
We've got one more character that we're waiting on but if you could all please roll up a random name for the Camp using the tables in the Camp Creation chapter that would be great. I'll then roll to see which of the random names we'll use. I will also go ahead and roll the additional facility that you'll start with. Once I have that I'll start up the IC thread and kick things off.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Got 42, 22, and 46, so "Third Daycare Clan"?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Kourogi, the Hunter/Mama

People said that she was all sorts of things -- shy, introverted, mute, maybe even slow, but... none of that was really true. She had just accepted, at a young age, that words were clumsy, especially the words that came out of her mouth, and resolved to use them as little as possible.

In the time before, that had never been a problem; her twin sister, Senko, light and amiable where she was silent and thoughtful, had always been there, and she was perfectly fine growing up in Senko's shadow.

But then the fire fell from the sky, and Senko got on her bike to warn their aunt in the next town over - and never returned.

She wishes she could forget the rest of that night - how she grabbed one of the practice bows from the school gym so that she'd have something to defend the town, to keep the path clear until Senko got back. How she was bundled off to to the shelter with the rest of the children before she could even voice a protest. How a woman who was not her mother watched her crying, without a sound, as she watched the door for any signs of her parents, of Senko. How the woman, in a good-intentioned but misguided attempt to cheer her up, said, "Aren't you just like a little cricket, dear? With all of your noisy chirping!"

That was five years ago, and the woman was gone now, just like all the rest of the adults, but the nickname 'cricket' - Kourogi - stuck. She hadn't learned to chirp any more loudly since, but, well... she had to keep up everyone's spirits until Senko got back, and there were all sorts of ways to get what you wanted to say across without words - like, say, cooking.

Specialties:
Cook
Shoot
Capture
Endure
Find
Treat

Abilities:

Feast
Weapon Attack (Shoot)
Thrifty

Stamina 10
Willpower 10

Carrying Cap: 5

Equipment:
Beat-up Bow (V8, W3, 2H, AP3, +2 evasion while equipped) (refluffed Crossbow)
Arrows (V1, Con:10)
Quiver (V1, allows arrows (max 20) to be used in battle)
Kitchen Knife (V3, W1, 1H, AP 1, can be equipped as an interrupt)
Bandages x2 (V2, +1 to Treat checks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
IC thread is up
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3858709

Remember this is a playtest as well as a serious campaign so make sure to come back to the OOC thread and comment on aspects of the system you like or dislike as we play.

• Locked thread