Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!




Hepador LaLoche
Wounds 10/10 - Fate 2/3

The wounded slaver kicked up dust like a mad man scurrying away from the conflict. Hepador roared laughter. He was half the man's size, wearing no armor, wielding a club he didn't have ten minutes ago and, rightly, only had a passable knowledge of how to use. And somehow he'd frightened the willies out of a hardened slaver. "Hey Horseman!" Hep shouted between fits of laughter. "You may wanna vet your mooks a little better in the future! Sad lot of amateurs this is! 'All butter, no spice! Look at that one!" He said pointing to the fleeing man. "He got his rear end whipped by a Jeweler! You know, we only got into the Malaria Coast this morning! If this is the best you can summon it'll be our turf by this afternoon!"

He wiped a mirthful tear from his eye and surveyed the battle field. Most of the fighting was happening in the south, most of the big folk we're fighting in the south. On the other hand, a pair of archers was closing in from the north. Hepador wasn't a hardened warrior by any means but, he knew what a flanking position looked like. And he'd be damned if he let a couple archers sneak up to the side of his caravan. One of them was wounded, badly. that was a start. Maybe it was the rush of adrenaline but, Hepador felt strongly it was time to press the advantage. He ready his club and swung it through the air, charging wildly to the north with a powerful scream. He passed Jakob and Alice taking arms against the net slavers surrounding the now unconscious Jarla. They shot him a curious glance as he passed, not slowing his charge even long enough to wish them luck. They didn't need his luck. They needed their flank covered. Hepador was happy to accomplish exactly that.

like a tiny, bellowing hurricane Hepador's charge brought him to within striking range of the most northern Archer. The human jumped in surprise, he obviously hadn't expected to have to deal with any melee combat.

The look on his face was -honestly- priceless.

Charging Attack on Northernmost Unwounded Archer: 1#1d100 6
Hit!
Damage Roll4: 1#1d10 10
Ulric's Fury?: 1#1d100 66
Nope!

Hepador is charging the northernmost, unwounded, archer and enter melee combat with him. (hopefully preventing him from firing at range).

Edited with GM's permission

KhediveRex fucked around with this message at Jun 10, 2018 around 05:17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017




Jarla Redlich

pre:
Character Profile
Primary   : | WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT| WP | FEL|
Starting  : | 33 | 35 | 33 | 34 | 36 | 31 | 33 | 31 |
Advance   : |  5 | 10 |  5 | -- | 10 | -- |  5 | -- | 
Taken     : | -- | +5 | -- | -- | -- | -- | -- | -- |
Gained    : | -- | +5 | -- | -- | -- | -- | -- | -- |
Current   : | 33 | 40 | 33 | 34 | 36 | 31 | 33 | 31 |

Secondary : | A |  W | SB | TB | M |MAG| IP | FP|
Starting  : | 1 | 11 | 3  | 3  | 4 | - | -  | 3 |
Advance   : | - | +2 | -  | -  | - | - | -  | - |
Taken     : | - | -- | -  | -  | - | - | -  | - |
Current   : | 1 | 11 | 3  | 3  | 4 | - | -  | 3 |

Skills:
Intimidate
Perception


Talents:

Sp.Wpn. Entangling
Sharpshooter
- Aim action gives +20%

Trappings:
Good Sword.
Net
Best quality Bolas

Armour (L. Jerkin & Skullcap)
1 body/ head
Dodge-
Parry-

Fortune: 1/3
Initiative: 41
?????




???????

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Karina

Okay, steady breaths as she looks out at the commotion in the field, Karina keeps her eyes locked on someone further in the distance. They're trying to flank around (is that the right word? Flank?). She can't let them cut off the caravan's retreat if the worst should happen.

Attack vs 42: 1d100 45
Attack vs 42 reroll: 1d100 46

:|

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

your last av sucked so much to look at that a shitty zoomed in jpeg of asparagus is an improvement

Urist Uristson CCCLXXXVII
Wounds: 10/11 Fate: 3/4

Dodging away from the slaver wildly flailing his club, Urist makes a feint to the left, baiting the slaver to overextend. Suddenly the runebearer slashes upwards with his axe, leaving the human with a horrid gash along his face.

_____________

Making a Standard Attack, which misses, so I use a Fate reroll and get a hit. Entering Parrying Stance.

Attack Roll vs 40: 1d100 77
Attack Reroll vs 40: 1d100 30
Damage Roll: 1d10+3 7

sullat
Jan 8, 2012


The hardest stone is the diamond, and yet, with the right tools it can be cut with precision. So too, can the human form, apparently, as Hepador's borrowed club cracks into the bowman's rib. He too, backs away in fear, fending Hepador off with his bowstave. Both he and the other archer, unused to melee combat withdraw from Hepador's onslaught.
Next to the recovering Jarla, a fierce skirmish rages. Jakob gets a hit on one of the men's sides, while easily dodging the return blows. Alice, on the other hand, is not so lucky, as she is unable to hit her target, while he lands a low blow to her Right Leg.
Urist slashes his foe's face, which will surely leave a nasty scar if the man survives today's skirmish. He manages to strikes a sharp blow back at Urist, but he deftly parries the stroke. Behind him, Karina fires a shot at one of the flanking archers, but misses narrowly.
Cerzi lands a solid blow to her foe's leg, and he very nearly falls over, leaving a wide opening for Ladwich to effortlessly slice off the man's left arm. It is propelled away by the force of the blow! The hunter Johann, however, suffers more bad luck as the remaining archer shoots him in the left arm as well. He shouts in frustration as his bowstring slaps the interior of his wrist while he is trying to return fire.

In the chaos of combat, it is hard to get a good read on the leader, who is still watching on horseback, shouting at the fleeing men to get back in line. Jakob's keen halfling eyes get a good look at the man's wispy moustache and beardless face. He seems like a stripling youth, especially when compared to the men he leads.



Urist parries! Alice takes a hit for 8-2=6 wounds to the Right leg. Two more mooks are falling back! Another one is slain!
NPCs: http://orokos.com/roll/631446: 5#1d100 28 90 34 76 60
NPC damage: http://orokos.com/roll/631447: 2#1d10 4 3
Urist Parry: http://orokos.com/roll/631449: 1d100 14
http://orokos.com/roll/631453: 1d100 5
http://orokos.com/roll/631454: 1d100 100
http://orokos.com/roll/631456: 1d10 5

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cerzi Foecleaver

Cerzi bangs her sword and shield together, fueled by the sight of her target going down. She shouts, "Keep it up! We've got them on the run!"

Moving surprisingly quickly for a dwarf, she smashes down at the other bandit's head, then swings at his left leg.

FP to move adjacent to the mook, then swift attack.

Swift Attack: 2#1d100 30 39
Swift Attack Damage: 2#1d10+4 5 6

pre:
| WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT | WP | FEL |
| 43 | 36 | 31 | 42 | 15 | 32  | 31 | 28  |

|  A  |    W  |  M  |  FP  |
|  2  | 12/12 |  3  | 1/3  |

Armour: Mail Coat, Leather Jack, Leather Leggings (3 Body, 1 Arms, 3 Legs); 4 Toughness 
1 Parry @ 53
1 Dodge @ 5

Name   Range  Damage  Reload  Special
Sword  Melee  SB+1    -       -
Shield Melee  SB      -       Defensive, -10% BS on incoming ranged
Xbow   30/60  4       Full    with 9 bolts

Skills:
Dodge Blow
Perception

Talents:
Dwarfcraft — +10% on racial trade skill tests.
Grudge-Born Fury — +5% WS against orcs, goblins, and hobgoblins.
Night Vision — See in darkness up to 30 yards.
Resistance to Magic — +10% on tests to resist magic.
Stout-Hearted — +10% on tests to resist fear, terror, and intimidation.
Sturdy — No move penalties from heavy armor, no encumbrance from equipped armor.
Acute Hearing — +20% on perception tests involving listening.
Orientation — Always know north, +10% on navigation tests.
Strike Mighty Blow — +1 damage for melee attacks, inc. above.
Strike to Injure — Crit value increased by 1.
Strike to Stun — May attempt to stun instead of inflicting damage on a successful hit.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd




Wounds 2 / 8 | Fortune 1 / 3

As the white hot agony of the blow to her leg fogs her senses, Alice finds herself screaming - not in pain, but in primordial rage. She kicks her opponent in the shin, and when he leans forward to try and grab her up she shoves her blade up under his chin and into his brain. She pulls the sword free and is rewarded with a spray of blood to her face as the man topples. Somewhere a wolf howls approvingly.

She stands on his chest and yells out a challenge:

"I'm Alice McMeal, from Käfig und Fischer in Talabheim! I'll have any one of you bastards cares to come and try me!"

hand weapon attack TN 42 mook: 1d100 31
hand weapon damage to Head: 1d10+2 12
Ulric's Fury!: 1d100 13
hand weapon damage to Head: 1d10o10 8

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at Jun 13, 2018 around 03:33

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016


Oh! I feel it. I feel the cosmos!


Dinosaur Gum


Jakob Surrety, Halfling Militiaman

"Alice, what - you too~?!"

Alice had charged at the nearest slaver standing menacingly over Jarla and whiffed with her first blow. Jakob watched with throat-constricting helplessness as he saw the slaver's club drop down onto Alice's right thigh with a sickening crack. It looked like the little lady lawyer could easily have been hobbled by that single villain's blow, and yet, despite the pain the diminutive lawyer probably felt, she was nonetheless undeterred. In return for this savage blow, Alice reared back and delivered a punishing kick to the slaver's shin, followed by a vicious life-ending stab through the man's exposed throat. Pulling her blade free from the shocked man, she didn't expect to become as drenched in her opponent's blood as she did, but it made her look all the more furious for it all. Standing atop the chest of her second kill of the morning, she roared in an ear-splitting cry, her challenge to the other slavers in earshot:

Alice McMeal posted:

"I'm Alice McMeal, from Käfig und Fischer in Talabheim! I'll have any one of you bastards cares to come and try me!"

Clearly this McMeal woman was delirious - bloodcrazed, even. Jakob, still engaged with their remaining opponent, muttered in Halfling to Alice out of the corner of his mouth:

"Alice what're y'doin', y'bloody wonder? Go get y'rself t'some proper cover!"

Jakob slashes at the remaining Slaver Mook!: 1d100 18 - Hit on Right Leg!

Damage Roll vs Slaver Mook 3: 1d10+3 9

Jakob delays until Jarla and Hepador have acted!

pre:
| WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT | WP | FEL |
| 21 | 40 | 20 | 32 | 42 | 30  | 29 | 36  |

| A |     W | SB | TB | M |  FP  |
| 1 | 10/10 |  2 |  3 | 4 | 2/3  |

Armour: Leather Jack, Leather Skullcap (1 Body, 1 Arms, 1 Head) 
1 Dodge @ 42
1 Parry @ 31

Name   Range  Damage  Reload  Special
Dagger Melee  SB-2    -       -
Sword  Melee  SB+1    -       -
Shield Melee  SB-1    -       Defensive, -10% BS on incoming ranged
Sling  16/32  3       Free    with ammunition
Bow    24/48  3       Free    with 20 arrows

Skills:
Dodge Blow
Perception

Talents:
Night Vision
Rapid Reload
Resistance to Chaos
Specialist Weapon Group (Sling)
Strike Mighty Blow
Strong-Minded

Prince of Space fucked around with this message at Jun 16, 2018 around 21:29

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017




Jarla Redlich

pre:
Character Profile
Primary   : | WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT| WP | FEL|
Current   : | 33 | 40 | 33 | 34 | 36 | 31 | 33 | 31 |

Secondary : | A |  W | SB | TB | M |MAG| IP | FP|
Current   : | 1 | 11 | 3  | 3  | 4 | - | -  | 3 |

Skills:
Intimidate
Perception


Talents:

Sp.Wpn. Entangling
Sharpshooter
- Aim action gives +20%

Trappings:
Good Sword.
Net
Best quality Bolas

Armour (L. Jerkin & Skullcap)
1 body/ head
Dodge-
Parry-

Fortune: 1/3
Initiative: 41
"Uuugh, what? Huh?"

Jarla swings her sword in a slow arc at the blurry figure in front of her, missing completely. Blinking, the slaver comes back into focus.

Swing sword at remaining mook: 1d100 81

Delay action until Hepador acts.

IF Hepador kills mook, then draw bolas.
ELSE enter parry stance.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!




Hepador LaLoche

Well that had been ... surprisingly effective. Both of the archers were taking off like frightened children. Hepador scratched his head and chuckled. For some reason, he was just sure that the people of Malaria Coast were supposed to be ... Fierce? Fiercer than this at the very least. Not that he could complain, cowardly slavers are the best kind of slavers.

Hepador buckled down, preparing for another great charge at the fleeing archers. But it was at that moment he heard two amazing screams. The first, a mix of anger and pain. The second, something godly and furious. he stopped in place and turned to see Alice standing on a dead mook, her right leg dampened with her own blood while the fresh blood of another dead mook painted her face and hair. She was calling out the name of her law firm and challenging the whole of Malaria Coast to a fist fight. She pulled an upturned knife out of slavers brain. A wolf was howling.

"... That girls a little scary..." Hepador said quietly to himself. "Glad she's on our team."

While he was staring at the blood-soaked mayhem, the archers had made it comfortably to cover. Hepador thought about giving chase but, the moment had really passed. And the function as well, those two weren't flanking anyone anymore even they grew enough spine to try and rejoin the fight. It wasn't sensible to be lured any closer to the Horseman while there were still mooks that needed mopping up. Hepador resolved to rejoin his halflings.

... With a dramatic charge. Being scary had worked wonders for him already. There's no such thing as over-polishing a stone.

Charge the Surrounded Mook: 1#1d100 2
Hit
Damage Roll5: 1#1d10 5

Full action to charge attack the surrounded mook.

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016


Oh! I feel it. I feel the cosmos!


Dinosaur Gum


Jakob Surrety, Halfling Militiaman

Jakob barked a laugh of defiance as the slaver he'd been fighting was ultimately felled by a surprise blow from Hepador's stolen slaver club, a crushing attack that fractured the man's right arm.

"Brilliant, Hepador old chap!" Jakob cheered the halfling fellow as he and Jarla helped finish the injured man off. Jakob noticed that Hepador had a look of stark bewilderment in his eye, like he didn't quite believe his own strength.

"We've got 'em right where we want 'em, lads and lasses! Just mind those arrows!"

Jakob readies his Sling and Shield!

pre:
| WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT | WP | FEL |
| 21 | 40 | 20 | 32 | 42 | 30  | 29 | 36  |

| A |     W | SB | TB | M |  FP  |
| 1 | 10/10 |  2 |  3 | 4 | 2/3  |

Armour: Leather Jack, Leather Skullcap (1 Body, 1 Arms, 1 Head) 
1 Dodge @ 42
1 Parry @ 31

Name   Range  Damage  Reload  Special
Dagger Melee  SB-2    -       -
Sword  Melee  SB+1    -       -
Shield Melee  SB-1    -       Defensive, -10% BS on incoming ranged
Sling  16/32  3       Free    with ammunition
Bow    24/48  3       Free    with 20 arrows

Skills:
Dodge Blow
Perception

Talents:
Night Vision
Rapid Reload
Resistance to Chaos
Specialist Weapon Group (Sling)
Strike Mighty Blow
Strong-Minded

Prince of Space fucked around with this message at Jun 16, 2018 around 21:29

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Karina

Still cursing her bad luck, Karina can't do anything but keep trying. She's even more helpless if the slavers get close, so she's got to try and keep them at bay. She aims and lets fly at the flanking bowmen, hoping that Sigmar finds it in his good graces to let it find its mark.

1d100 vs 42: 1d100 13 FINALLY!
Damage: 1d10+3 7

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

your last av sucked so much to look at that a shitty zoomed in jpeg of asparagus is an improvement


Urist Uristson CCCLXXXVII
Wounds: 10/11 Fate: 3/4

Urist slaps away the slaver's club and makes an aggressive counterattack. Unfortunately his axe passes within a hair's breadth of the human but doesn't leave so much as a scratch, leaving Urist exposed with only a litany of dawi curses to defend himself with.
_____________

Making an All Out Attack
Attack Roll: 1d100 vs 60 61

Whelp

sullat
Jan 8, 2012


A wolf howls in the distance. Another hazard of the borderlands, but not the immediate one. With a spray of blood one of the slavers falls to justice's blade, wielded by Alice. He falls, dead before he hits the ground. His comrade, badly wounded by Hepador and Jakob, facing Jarla and Alice as well, breaks and flees. With his back exposed for a moment, they have the opportunity to cut him down as he runs. Mercy is a dangerous luxury in the Borderlands, will they risk it?

Karina carefully aims and hits one of the fleeing archers. He drops his bow and continues running, arm pinned by an arrow. His comrade, less injured, outdistances him as he flees.

Urist's attack against his foe leaves him open, but the man has no stomach left for the fight. Seeing the others dead or fleeing, he carefully backs up, not leaving himself exposed to Urist's fury. Cerzi's blows against her foe leaves him dazed and bleeding. He breaks hard, turning to flee for the hill. Ladwich is in no mood for mercy, and with a wicked blow, he slices the man's leg off. The remaining archer kicks up his heels, running as well.

The man on horseback looks down at the ruin of the attack. He shouts down at you, "Big Boss doesn't like interlopers here! I wouldn't stick around if I were you! Your caravan leader sold you out! Maybe you should ask for a refund! He isn't welcome here no more either!" And with that, he turns his horse around and spurs it, riding off into the distance, not bothering to check up on his wounded men as they flee.

The battle is over, for now. Six of the slavers are dead, the rest running as fast as they can. You can pursue them if you like, but the man on horseback will easily outdistance you. Your injured comrades are not badly hurt, but they are in no mood for further fighting. Ladwich takes a few minutes to poke ineffectually at his and Johann's wounds. "Shoot. Bandage. Pillage. The dancing steps of war..." he mutters. "Any of you lot know anything about medicking?"

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016


Oh! I feel it. I feel the cosmos!


Dinosaur Gum


Jakob Surrety, Halfling Militiaman

The remaining slaver mook was knocked down by Hepador's blow, but he wasn't out of the running just yet. The bloodied, cut and battered wreck of a man managed to stagger onto his feet before stumbling into Jakob's raised shield.

Jakob bashes his shield at the fleeing Slaver Mook!: 1d100 30 - Hit on the head

Jakob clocks the fleeing slaver mook across the jaw with the metal rim of his shield!

Shield Bash Damage Roll vs Slaver Mook 3: 1d10+1 4 - 4 damage!

Fleeing Slaver Mook is slain!

pre:
| WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT | WP | FEL |
| 21 | 40 | 20 | 32 | 42 | 30  | 29 | 36  |

| A |     W | SB | TB | M |  FP  |
| 1 | 10/10 |  2 |  3 | 4 | 2/3  |

Armour: Leather Jack, Leather Skullcap (1 Body, 1 Arms, 1 Head) 
1 Dodge @ 42
1 Parry @ 31

Name   Range  Damage  Reload  Special
Dagger Melee  SB-2    -       -
Sword  Melee  SB+1    -       -
Shield Melee  SB-1    -       Defensive, -10% BS on incoming ranged
Sling  16/32  3       Free    with ammunition
Bow    24/48  3       Free    with 20 arrows

Skills:
Dodge Blow
Perception

Talents:
Night Vision
Rapid Reload
Resistance to Chaos
Specialist Weapon Group (Sling)
Strike Mighty Blow
Strong-Minded

Prince of Space fucked around with this message at Jun 16, 2018 around 21:30

sullat
Jan 8, 2012


The last slaver falls to Jakob's shield bash. The survivors are fleeing to the east. While you search the bodies, you find six battered leather jacks, six weighted clubs, six nets, six daggers, and 31 silver coins of varying provenance in various pockets. There are also two bows, and the dropped quiver has 15 arrows left in it. One of the slavers has a map in his jacket pocket and a scribbled note.

quote:

Meet Kaspar and pay him. If this scheme works, he may be of use to us in bringing more slaves for the mines. The proposed ambush site is in C2. Try not to let my idiot son mess up too badly. -Big Boss



Ladwich approaches the two merchants, who have finally finished reloading their crossbows. He inspects Balderico's wound, and tells him to "walk it off, ya pansy". Then he approaches the group and says, "I learned some tricks in the army, can take a gander at your scratches if you want. Uh, halflings and dwarves are like people, right? You're not like, made of stone or sumthin'? My gran always said so, but I think she were a little off in her old age."

Meanwhile, Balderico sighs and says, "Just can't find good help these days. Uh, present company excepted. Let's start stripping these bodies, I clawed my way up from the rag trade once already, and I'll do it again if need be."

Johann and Renata go to inspect the mule train. The mules have been patiently watching the battle, the life and death struggle of men of little interest to them. Six of the mules are loaded down with Balderico's trade goods, while two are laden with supplies. Well, they were at the beginning of the trip. Your food supplies are worrying low, perhaps three days worth. The water barrels are near-empty. The route you had been taking had led you through the dry hills. There are thin clumps of grasses, and a few shrubs that can have been serving as firewood.

sullat fucked around with this message at Jun 16, 2018 around 22:14

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

your last av sucked so much to look at that a shitty zoomed in jpeg of asparagus is an improvement

Urist Uristson CCCLXXXVII
Wounds: 10/11 Fate: 3/4

The slavers routed and fleeing, Urist feels like his adreneline almost literally falls out of his body, leaving the pounding headache of a awful hangover. The dwarfs rubs a rough hand across his and walks over to his bedroll and begins to rummage through his pack. "All I know 'bout healin' is not ta' run through poison ivy without yer knickers." He says unhelpfully. Urist finally withdraws his arm from his pack, holding a large bottle of spirits that he takes a sip from; a little hair of the dog is his other bit of medical trivia. "An dawi aren't made'a stone, we just poo poo 'em out. Ain't tha' right, Cerzi?!" He yells.
_____________

Rolling Survival to see if Urist can identify any medicinal herbs that could help if anyone tries first aid.

Outdoor Survival vs 27: 1d100 78

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Karina

"By the twin-tailed comet..."

Never again. Karina never wants to be in this kind of situation ever again. It was harrowing and she couldn't stop shaking. Yes, best to avoid a battle if at all possible. She's not a fighter, after all. She's an entertainer.

"Can we leave now?"

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016


Oh! I feel it. I feel the cosmos!


Dinosaur Gum


Jakob Surrety, Halfling Militiaman

With the slavers either dead or fleeing, Jakob finally allowed himself to breathe a sigh of relief and relax. He'd killed that last man, battered and cut to shreds as he was. Broke his jaw and his neck with one reflexive, clubbing blow from his shield, Jakob did. Jakob hadn't thought twice about ending the man's life in the moment that it happened, but it was a moment in time that he would recall quite often from that point forward. The look in the man's eyes, the look of pain and shocked surprise as his face met the metal edge of Jakob's shield and broke. Jakob hadn't intended to kill the man, but his final blow had been enough to reduce a man to a quivering heap, choking to death on his own blood through a shattered face.

It was Jakob's "first kill," after all - the first man he had ever slain in combat - a human no less. It was just a simple matter of a man aligned to an evil cause meeting his fate on the battlefield. Jakob didn't feel bad when the slaver mook ultimately died; he was grateful, even. It made the next part a little easier.

Jakob searches the dead Slavers for Marks, Totems, and Trophies!: 1d100 84 - Try again?
Jakob searches the dead Slavers for Marks, Totems, and Trophies! (FP): 1d100 81 - No such luck!

Once the slavers' bodies were laid out and stripped of goods, there was nothing much that held Jakob's interests. The list included six battered leather jacks, six poorly-weighted clubs, six nets, six daggers, two bows, fifteen arrows and thirty-one silver coins.

"The nets should go to Jarla." Jakob suggested. "The bow and arrows should go to Alice."

Jakob takes a weighted club (poor), a battered leather jack (poor), a dagger, and three silver shillings (3ss) as his split of the loot!

Jakob addressed the party assembled around the dead. "Someone start gathering up the clubs, daggers and leather jacks and load it all onto the pack animals. We can sell 'em at the nearest village, at the very least. In the meantime, I'm going to get us started on some grub... It's hard to fight on an empty stomach, innit?"

Jakob checks the area for Firewood/Kindling using his Outdoor Survival Skill!: 1d100 3 - Success!

Jakob sets up a campfire with the available provisions!

Jakob strikes a match! (1 = light, 2 = fizzle): 1d2 2 - Match fizzled!
Jakob strikes a match! (1 = light, 2 = fizzle): 1d2 1 - Match lit, fire started!

Jakob uses two matches to start a fire!

Using his trade skills, Jakob cooks breakfast for the caravan using the communal supplies!

"So, where do you think we want to get headed after this?" Jakob ventured to the others as he prepared their meal.

pre:
| WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT | WP | FEL |
| 21 | 40 | 20 | 32 | 42 | 30  | 29 | 36  |

| A |     W | SB | TB | M |  FP  |
| 1 | 10/10 |  2 |  3 | 4 | 1/3  |

SKILLS:
Academic Knowledge (Genealogy/Heraldry) (INT)
Animal Care (INT)
Common Knowledge (Halflings) (INT)
Dodge Blow (AG)
Gossip (+10%) (FEL)
Outdoor Survival (INT)
Perception (INT)
Search (INT)
Speak Language (Halfling, Reikspiel) (INT)
Swim (S)
Trade: Bowyer (AG)
Trade: Cook (INT)

TALENTS:
Night Vision (30 yards)
Rapid Reload (Reduces reload times by a half action.)
Resistance to Chaos (+10% to Will Power Tests to resist magic and Chaos effects, Chaos mutation immunity; No magic skill.) 
Specialist Weapon Group (Sling)
Strike Mighty Blow (+1 to damage rolls with melee)
Strong-Minded (No Insanity checks until 8 IP)

TRAPPINGS:
Leather Armour (Leather Jack [1 Body, 1 Arms], Leather Skullcap [1 Head]), Uniform
Common clothing (Shirt, Breeches, Worn Boots, Tattered Cloak, Belt) 
Sling Bag
Blanket
Wooden tankard & cutlery set
Rations (1 week)
Water Skin
Rope (20 yards)
Tinder Box (6 uses)
22x Matches
20x Marbles 
Large Pouch
Battered Leather Jack
Dagger [Damage: SB-2]
Dagger [Damage: SB-2]
Weighted Club [Damage: SB+1] [-5 WS]
Sword [Damage: SB+1]
Shield [Damage: SB-2] [+10% Parry] [-10% BS on incoming ranged] 
Sling [Damage: 3] [16/32 range, Half reload] (with ammunition) 
Bow [Damage: 3] [24/48 range, Half reload] (with 20 Arrows) 
Coinpurse: 9 s 0 p

ADVANCES:
Free: +5% Toughness

Prince of Space fucked around with this message at Jun 17, 2018 around 00:27

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!




Hepador LaLoche

Hepador breathed a sigh of relief and clapped his hands together, spreading the dust of the wild west in a little cloud across the barren wildlands. He watched the cloud dissipate, thinking of the things he'd done that day - the person he was becoming.

He stooped down and dirtied his hands once more with the fresh soot of the west. He liked it here. It wasn't a place for clean fingernails, weekly salaries, well laundered petticoats, throw pillows or quiet offices. It was the land of grit. If it should get on his hands, all the better. Maybe that's where it belonged. He wandered back to his ruck, and his goat. He picked up his leather jerkin and thought for a moment about donning it. But, he had already survived the dangers of today without it. And it was a hot day. He set it aside and picked up his hatchet, hooking the tool into his belt where it belonged. Where it would be from now on. He looked his goat in the eyes and gave it a small apple from his pack of supplies. Why had he brought Marjoram here? Was it something to remember the capital by? Perhaps it was the comforting notion that at least someone would be there to witness his transformation. A friend from the city, to marvel at his change. And at one apple a day, it was an inexpensive, low maintenance attendant.

"Good girl Marjoram." He said patting the goat along it's neck. "Next time, you kill the bad guys and I'm gonna nap through the danger. Okay? Lets shake on it ... No? ... Well, verbal contract then. I'll hold you to it." The goat belched. "Yeah, I know, the apples aren't the freshest anymore. Sue me. Alice will probably help you." One of his caravan mates was shouting for anyone with medical experience. Another smaller group was hauling spoils of war into the center of camp. Jakob busied himself cooking breakfast. The battle had ended and the scurrying of business was already at hand. "I got to go girl. Keep ... being a goat. Yep. Just like that. Good Marjoram."

He wandered next to the campfire, and looked over the loot. No jewelry. No stones. On the other hand, some of his caravan mates were splitting up some thirty odd silver coins of different makes and years. Hepador waded into the small crowd and caught their attention. "Everyone! Everyone, wait! Those coins might be valuable!" There were some mixed looks from the crowd. "Well ... Valuable like ... Helpful. Obviously they're valuable! What I meant was - Look, I'm a coinsmith. I worked at the mint in the capital. I know a thing or two about currency. Let me look at those coins before we divvy them up and I might be able to tell you a few things about where they came from. Theres a couple different kinds, I can tell you that immediately. But if they come from elf lands or dwarf land or the capital, what year they were minted and how long they've been in circulation; all of that could give us hints about whose funding the slavers. or, where heir money comes from. Just - Just trust me. You'll get all of them back. But I need to look at all of them first."

Evaluate Silver Coins: 1#1d100 70

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017





pre:
Name: Jarla Redlich

Character Profile
Primary   : | WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT| WP | FEL|
Current   : | 33 | 40 | 33 | 34 | 36 | 31 | 33 | 31 |

Secondary : | A |  W | SB | TB | M |MAG| IP | FP|
Current   : | 1 | 11 | 3  | 3  | 4 | - | -  | 3 |

Skills:
Common Knowledge (the empire)
Follow Trail
Gossip
Intimidate
Outdoor Survival
Perception
Search
Shadowing
Silent Move
Speak Language (Riekspiel)

Talents:
Lightning reflexes
Marksman
Resistance to Disease
Rover
Sp.Wpn. Entangling
Sharpshooter

Fortune: 1/3

XP + Advances: 00/00
Jarla tucked get sword in her belt and walked over to Alice to retrieve her crossbow.

"You've got a good arm, you ever thought about bounty hunting?"

Her hand brushed by her sword built, and the coins nailed there. "Anyone got a shovel? We should bury this lot. See them off right."

Jarla digs a shallow grave and makes a short prayer to Morr.

Once that's out of the way (and only then), she joins the others, worrying about their resources. Water was the focus.

outdoor survival: 1d100 31- success!

"Cut open these plants, they have water inside. Should keep us going until we find a proper water source."

She slashes a cactus open to demonstrate, and drinks.

"Mind the spines".

Jacob seemed to want to hunt down the slavers. Understandable. "The horse will have made a distinct trail, but let's make sure we are in a fit state to face what we find before heading out." She didn't want to get caught out in the open dehydrated and wounded.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at Jun 17, 2018 around 02:03

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd




Wounds 2 / 8 | Fortune 1 / 3

Alice watches the bandits retreat with satisfaction, but as the din of battle, the pounding of her own heartbeat, and the rush of adrenaline fade away she becomes suddenly and painfully aware of her injured leg. It doesn't seem to be broken, although the force of the blow meant that if it had gone a little lower it could have ruined her knee. As it is she'll have bruise on her thigh that is going to make it hard to walk for a few days at least. She sits down, realizes she's sitting on a cooling corpse, jumps back up in horror and limps to the mule train to join the gathering. It's with a little distaste that she dons the ill-fitting leather jack, but clearly the majesty of Imperial Law is less protection than solid armor out here. The bow is received with better enthusiasm - keeping out of arms length has a whole new value to her.

Jarla posted:

"You've got a good arm, you ever thought about bounty hunting?"

Alice smiles weakly at Jarla's comment.

"Honestly, I think I got a bit carried away there. I'm more comfortable with the less physical end of things. Actually I've never, uh, killed anyone before now. Didn't even do my own slaughtering, there was always a butcher for that. I mean...they deserved it, I guess. Self defense, right?"

She shakes her head as if to clear out the sudden rush of guilt. She casts around for a new topic of conversation and finds one more comfortable.

"When we catch up with Kaspar I'm going to make him wish he'd stayed around to get killed with them. Breach on contact on Alice McMeal, will he? Oh, you better believe there will be damages paid. Punitive damages."

quote:

"So, where do you think we want to get headed after this?" Jakob ventured to the others as he prepared their meal.

Alice looks up from reading the map.

"Greasy Diggings is the closest town, if Kaspar told the truth. I think it's to our south, about 12 miles. We could make that today if we're lucky. If he's gone anywhere it's probably there, and if he hasn't we can at least sleep inside."

quote:

"I learned some tricks in the army, can take a gander at your scratches if you want. Uh, halflings and dwarves are like people, right? You're not like, made of stone or sumthin'? My gran always said so, but I think she were a little off in her old age."

"Being made of stone sounds pretty good about now, but no. We're flesh and blood. Don't know what you can do about this leg, I might need leeches."

She looks at the coin collection with Hepador but can't add any insight.

Evaluate (Untrained) TN 30: 1d100 92

trapping get:
leather jack
bow
quiver w/15 arrows
club (poor)
dagger

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at Jun 17, 2018 around 11:53

sullat
Jan 8, 2012


Jakob searches the bodies of the fallen, while Jarla starts hacking out a shallow grave from the dry earth. The men don't seem to have anything that stands out as oddly identifying. They have bad tattoos, ugly scars, and of course, the savage wounds dealt to them by the halfling's cruel arms. Digging even an poor grave for so many residents takes sometime, although eventually the two guards come help with dropping the (now stripped) bodies in the grave. Rather than offering a prayer, however, Ladwich merely spits on one of the corpses before pushing a few inches of dirt and rock on it. By the time they're done, the Jakob is just finished up with breakfast. There are probably a few scraps left over for the grave digging party.

Hepador finishes his inspection of the coins. A few are obvious forgeries, and most of the genuine ones are thoroughly clipped. He recognizes most as being Imperial or Tilean make, with a few Dwarven coins thrown in. There are about a dozen newly minted coins, but he can't recognize their make. Probably because of the extremely poor quality of the milling and dies used to make them.

Once Jarla points out the cactus, the party is able to harvest enough water to last for the day. "Tastes like mule piss," remarks Johann as he chews some of the pulp. "I mean, what I figure it would taste like... if ever tried it. Which I haven't."

Ladwich carefully tends to Alicia's wounds. "You sure you ain't half Norscan? Halfling beserkers would be a hell of a thing to face..."

Ladwich: http://orokos.com/roll/633824: 1d100 17! He made a heal test, finally. Alice heals 1 wound and is no longer considered "heavily wounded", which is a good thing.

There are rules for overland movement; at Cerzi's speed it will take 5 hours to reach the village directly south.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cerzi Foecleaver

Cerzi barks a laugh at Urist's bravado, calling back, "Oi, yer drat right!"

She doesn't take much interest in the looting, the gear on offer hardly of quality or nature fit for a dwarf, but she does hone in on the coins as well. After Hepador's taken his look, she takes the newly minted coins. She says, "Apalling make, they are, but might be able to make something of the technique." Though, try as she might, nothing particularly sticks out. They're remarkably awful. She spits, disgusted, and hands the bag of coinage back. "I hope you got something, boyo, because these are an affront to minters of all stripes."

Trade (Smith) - TN 41 [reroll]: 1d100 63

Spent my last FP on a reroll, but no dice.

sullat
Jan 8, 2012


There are a few dwarf-made coins. Without melting them down and verifying they contain the exact amount of metals as laid down by the great dwarven book of numismatics, though, Cerzi can make no guarantees on their purity. And neither of the dwarves have the skill of reading their runes, so there is no way to see which Mountain Homes they coins are from. The newly-minted coins have an inscription on them, but not in a language anyone is familiar with.

sullat fucked around with this message at Jun 18, 2018 around 04:18

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!




Hepador LaLoche

"What clown made this garbage then?" Hepador hefted a handful of the newly minted coins to face level, one eye closed to scrutinize them carefully. "Truly. Appalling. The edgework is barely concentric! And this matte finish - its like baby's first embossing. I don't think they even sanded these, certainly not with silk. Feel that!" He shouted handing the coins around the campfire circle. "It's still got an edge! You could cut your palms on this trash. Who on the bloody planet authorized this for circulation?!" Cerzi finished her inspection and handed the coins back. "I hope you got something, boyo, because these are an affront to minters of all stripes." Hepador jumped and pointed at the dwarf, shaking his head in firm affirmation. "An Affront! That's what it is! These are worse than last weeks oysters. They haven't tapered the face plate. You can literally chip the finish off with your fingernails. The lettering is too small; and the letters are warped, obviously engraved prior to a full cooling! What did they do right?! I bet it's not even level! I'm sure it's not level. Hand me one of those cactuses!" There was a fire in Hepador's eye, something the camp was not expecting from the fun-loving jovial Halfling they had traveled so far with. He got his cactus frond promptly. Hepador squeezed the plant until a single drop of water was released, which fell squarely in the center of the coin now lying flat on Hepador's palm. He stared at it like a man possessed.

"... There! ... Yep! Sure enough! The waters running! Pooling right on that edge. I'd say there's as much as a half degree slope on this sorry excuse for currency. And if one's got it, you know they've all got it. Minted that way! It'll be in the proofs, the negatives, the molds, everything! You couldn't fix this without a full overhaul. New everything!" The rest of the camp was staring at him, nervous tension filling the smoke-filled air. His eyes shot between his caravan mates and the coin sitting in his palm. Back and forth. Back. And forth.

"... SMELL IT!!" He screamed, rushing forward to offer his palm. There weren't any immediate takers. "Give it a wiff! You smell that dye? Cheapest dye available of course - ACRID - but corners are cut all the time. What I wanna know is, where's the Iodine?! Where exactly is the Iodine? Didn't they sanitize these before they started handing them out like candy to innocent people! A short dip in iodine would have settled the ink but no, I guess they just thought the sweat of people's pockets would do that for them. Imbeciles!" He took a deep breathe and collected himself, staring skyward, jaw clenched tight. He finally returned his gaze to the caravan and released a frustrated groan. "Alright. Give 'em here. These coins are Not Fit For Circulation. Keep the others, spend 'em however you like but we are Not trading garbage for goods or services. These coins need to be handled by a professional. And when I find whatever cow-town mint made this atrocity, I'm gonna give them a piece of my mind. And then cut them with their own loving Edged coins! ... Amateurs!"

He settled on a log by the fire them, grumpily picking up some of Jakob's lovely breakfast. Fresh roasted sausage helped to improve his mood, but he couldn't take his mind off the coins. And a lot of the caravan was still staring at him. "... Shouldn't take very long." He said finally. "Finding the mint." He enjoyed another bite of sausage and let the grease melt the anger out of his stomach. "They were minted this year. They've barely got any wear on them. It'll be some sort of local ... misguided ... entrepreneur ... thing. It'd be helpful if we knew what the language on the face was. When we get to town I'll ... I'll ask around. Someone will recognize them and, if they don't, we'll just go to the next town. Don't worry everyone. I'm gonna get these coins off the market. I promise." And just like that, Hepador felt better. He took another large bite of sausage, swallowed like a man who hadn't eaten in hours and shot his caravan mates a winning smile.

"South, right? I'm ready whenever you guys are."

Hepador is laying claim on the 12 terrible silver coins. And he wants to go to town as quickly as possible.

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016


Oh! I feel it. I feel the cosmos!


Dinosaur Gum


Jakob Surrety, Halfling Militiaman

Jakob gathered up the remaining items that the dead slavers had left behind and loaded them onto the less-burdened pack animals. In total, of the unclaimed items Jakob counted four (4) battered leather jacks, four (4) weighted clubs, four (4) knives, six (6) nets, and a bow, not to mention sixteen silver shillings (16ss). He wagered that they'd altogether be worth some paltry sum of coin at the nearest outpost, but a paltry sum of coin was still more than Jakob had in his purse at the moment. He'd sell it all at once and be able to buy himself a bed for the night and a meal from his split of the silver, at the very least.

Even though he had felt wholly disinclined to help Ms. Redlich with the act of digging graves for the slavers, part of Jakob had still appreciated seeing that the dead men had been given burials, shallow though they were. Had it been left up to him, Jakob probably would've let the bodies remain out in the open for the wolves to get at, if only so they could get a move on from the battle site that much faster. Regardless, Jakob had to admit that there was a certain practicality and cleanliness behind hiding the freshly dead away from the world of the living...

Jakob's macabre thoughts on tales of darkness and undeath were set aside when Alice gave her reaction to the map they'd found.

Jakob responded in kind. "Greasy Diggings? Is that really the name of the place we're looking for? I don't trust that anything that rotten louse Kaspar told us about this region one bit! In fact.. here... (let me see that)..."



"Yep! Far as I can tell, the closest town or village is actually east of us, in some hilly forested area." Jakob continued, "But, then again, that's also the same direction those slavers and their youthfully inadequate leader fled. If I were the gambling sort of halfling, I would wager that east is where we'd find our good buddy Kaspar, too."

"Now, let's not just go walkin' someplace unprepared for a fight, I say. Let's mosey on down to the village south of us and get our bearings first before we mount any forays into p'tentially hostile territory."

Prince of Space fucked around with this message at Jun 19, 2018 around 19:20

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017





pre:
Name: Jarla Redlich

Character Profile
Primary   : | WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT| WP | FEL|
Current   : | 33 | 40 | 33 | 34 | 36 | 31 | 33 | 31 |

Secondary : | A |  W | SB | TB | M |MAG| IP | FP|
Current   : | 1 | 11 | 3  | 3  | 4 | - | -  | 3 |

Skills:
Common Knowledge (the empire)
Follow Trail
Gossip
Intimidate
Outdoor Survival
Perception
Search
Shadowing
Silent Move
Speak Language (Riekspiel)

Talents:
Lightning reflexes
Marksman
Resistance to Disease
Rover
Sp.Wpn. Entangling
Sharpshooter

Trappings:

Wide brimmed hat
common clothing consisting of a shirt, breeches, and worn boots 
Belt
a tattered cloak 
Purse w/ 9gc 8ss 6bp
Crossbow w/ 15>13 bolts Bolts, 1 break, 2 OK: 2#1d2 1 1
Good Sword w/ 2 silver coins nailed to the pommel.
Net
Best quality Bolas
Boot dagger
Light armour (L. Jerkin & Skullcap)
Manacles
sling bag
5 wooden spikes
10 yd rope
poor quality tent
poor quality tinderbox
blanket 
Waterskin
a wooden tankard 
a wooden cutlery set 

Fortune: 1/3

XP + Advances: 00/00

thatbastardken posted:

"Honestly, I think I got a bit carried away there. I'm more comfortable with the less physical end of things. Actually I've never, uh, killed anyone before now. Didn't even do my own slaughtering, there was always a butcher for that. I mean...they deserved it, I guess. Self defense, right?"

Jarla started as if to give a reply, but with the look on Alices face she stopped short, settling for a nod and a brief "yeah". Like it or not, Alice did know how to handle herself in a fight. Being squeamish after the fact didn't take that away.

Listening to the suggestions, (and somewhat tired), Jarla packed away her tent.

"We'd best get a move on before they return then. Oh Jakob-" she stopped the militiaman as he passed. "Thanks".

Gathering her things, she joined the others getting ready to set off South.

"We'll need a couple scouts up front, and watchers for any followers."

Jarla waited for someone else to join her in scouting ahead for danger before setting off ahead.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at Jun 18, 2018 around 15:22

sullat
Jan 8, 2012


Thanks to the dwarves' iron sense of direction, the party marches south in the direction of the town marked on the map. Over dry hills, through tangled ravines and rock formations, they make their way south, stopping periodically to rest and find more cactus to chew on. After about six hours, as the sun is lowering into west, the mules suddenly perk up, and begin chafing at their reins. They practically run to the top of a nearby ridge. As the party crests the ridge, they see a fertile valley spread out amidst the barren hills. A few nearby trickles of water seep out of the rocks, and a stream soon flows down to a small river. The mules drink their fill, and have to be dragged away to allow others to drink the sweet water. The valley is intensely cultivated, you have to pick your way through fields of ripening wheat and barley. A few young halflings are out in the fields with slings, keeping watch on the crops and hunting for crows. They stop and stare as the battered party makes its way to the town in the center of the valley. The town sits next to the small river. There is a small wooden palisade around the town, and an open, unguarded gate. Inside the village, there are a few dozen small, garishly painted cottages. There is also a larger building, with a wooden figure the size of a man by the door that says "The Merry Giant". Next to it is a building that says, "General Store". Halflings scurry to and fro, going about their daily lives, although more than a few stop and stare at the incoming party. A small sign in front of the gate says, "Welcome to Middleshire!"

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016


Oh! I feel it. I feel the cosmos!


Dinosaur Gum


Jakob Surrety, Halfling Militiaman

"Ah, now ain't this place a sight for sore eyes!" Jakob remarked as they approached the fertile valley. Apparent satisfaction gleamed in his eyes as they walked deeper and deeper into the halfling town's quaint little center. "Aw, it's like a little slice of the ol' Moot itself - a home away from home!"

Once the main party of adventurers had arrived at the general store, Jakob added his own share of the loot to the unclaimed items they'd gathered up from the dead slavers. Altogether (along with some Haggling help from Alice), he sold to the agreeable halfling shopkeep behind the counter five (5) battered leather jacks (poor) for 15 30 gc, the six (6) weighted clubs (poor) for 15 30 gc, the six (6) daggers for 3 6 gc, the six (6) nets for 9 18 gc, and the spare bow for 5 10 gc, for a total net gain of 47 94 gold crowns. Once Jakob had added in the unclaimed sixteen silver shillings they'd found in the slavers' pockets, it came to 94 gc 16 ss in the communal pot, to be shared between Jakob, Jarla, Hepador, Alice, Cerzei, Urist, and Karina evenly. After a lengthy back and forth, the merchant Balderico Marsala had insisted that he and his company be excluded from the final split of the loot. Jakob pragmatically accepted the man's protestations without brooking further argument. Clearly, Balderico's men were well taken care of, as was his daughter Renata.

Thus, when split seven ways, the loot came out to be 13 gc 10 ss 1 p apiece.

While he was there, Jakob inquired about the availability of several items from the shopkeeper of the general store:

Jakob Gossips: looking for a Healing Draught (Average)!: 1d100 52 - "Hold on, are you absolutely sure you don't have one around?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for a Healing Draught (Average)! (FP): 1d100 62 - "Dang, I must have missed the last bottle. When's the Apothecary's next shipment?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for a Lucky Charm (Average)!: 1d100 25 - Success! "Whoo nelly, look at the runes on that thing! Too bad I can't afford it, though!"
Jakob Gossips: looking for a Healing Poultice (Common)!: 1d100 7 - Success! "Okay, I'll buy five for 25 p."
Jakob Gossips: looking for a Lantern (Average)!: 1d100 36 - Success! "Great, I'll buy one for 5 gc."
Jakob Gossips: looking for Lamp Oil (Plentiful)!: 1d100 49 - Success! "Sure, I'll buy three for 15 ss."
Jakob Gossips: looking for a Spade (Common)!: 1d100 9 - Success! "Wonderful! I'll buy one for 25 ss."
Jakob Gossips: looking for Rations (Common)!: 1d100 69 - "Hmm. I'll try again later - I'm looking to bolster my current supplies. What about your other daily fare?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for Food per Day (Average) (Common)!: 1d100 73 - "Oh, so you're not a grocer? Any recommendations for other food stores, even the not-so-great stuff?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for Food per Day (Poor) (Plentiful)!: 1d100 80 - "Okay, fine then, how about a day's worth of high quality foodstuffs?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for Food per Day (Good) (Average)!: 1d100 63 - "Well that's not very helpful at all - what do you have available to eat at this hour?
Jakob Gossips: looking for Cheap Pies (Common)!: 1d100 44 - Success! "Oh, why didn't you say so? I'll have two Beef & Beer pies for 4 p then. Got any sides?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for Soup (meal) (Abundant)!: 1d100 19 - Success! Why, that's a whole meal right there. I'll have one for 1p. Anything to wash it all down?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for Beer (Abundant)!: 1d100 61 - Success! "Ah, great - got any ale instead?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for Ale (Common)!: 1d100 95 - "No? That's fine, I'll buy a pint of Beer for 1 p then. Thanks a lot!"

Jakob spends 7 gc 2 ss 7 p at the general store on supplies and a full meal!

Jakob rejoins the group at The Merry Giant and gives 13 gc 10 ss 1 p each to Jarla, Hepador, Cerzei, Urist, and Karina!

"Well, what'd I miss?" asked Jakob, tucking into a meat pie. "Find any news on this 'Big Boss' fella?"

pre:
| WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT | WP | FEL |
| 21 | 40 | 20 | 32 | 42 | 30  | 29 | 36  |

| A |     W | SB | TB | M |  FP  |
| 1 | 10/10 |  2 |  3 | 4 | 0/3  |

SKILLS:
Academic Knowledge (Genealogy/Heraldry) (INT)
Animal Care (INT)
Common Knowledge (Halflings) (INT)
Dodge Blow (AG)
Gossip (+10%) (FEL)
Outdoor Survival (INT)
Perception (INT)
Search (INT)
Speak Language (Halfling) (Reikspiel) (INT)
Swim (S)
Trade: Bowyer (AG)
Trade: Cook (INT)

TALENTS:
Night Vision (30 yards)
Rapid Reload (Reduces reload times by a half action.)
Resistance to Chaos (+10% to Will Power Tests to resist magic and Chaos effects, Chaos mutation immunity; No magic skill.) 
Specialist Weapon Group (Sling)
Strike Mighty Blow (+1 to damage rolls with melee)
Strong-Minded (No Insanity checks until 8 IP)

TRAPPINGS:
Leather Armour (Leather Jack [1 Body, 1 Arms], Leather Skullcap [1 Head]), Uniform
Common clothing (Shirt, Breeches, Worn Boots, Tattered Cloak, Belt) 
Sling Bag
Blanket
Wooden tankard & cutlery set
Rations (1 week)
Water Skin (full)
5x Healing Poultice
Rope (20 yards)
Spade
Lantern
3x Lamp Oil (4 hrs/use)
Tinder Box (6 uses)
22x Matches
20x Marbles 
Large Pouch
Dagger [Damage: SB-2]
Sword [Damage: SB+1]
Shield [Damage: SB-2] [+10% Parry] [-10% BS on incoming ranged] 
Sling [Damage: 3] [16/32 range, Half reload] (with ammunition) 
Bow [Damage: 3] [24/48 range, Half reload] (with 20 Arrows) 
Coinpurse: 9 s 0 p -> 13 gc 19 ss 1 p -> 6 gc 16 ss 6 p

Purchases: Healing Poultice (25 p), Lantern (5 gc), 3x Lamp Oil (15 ss), Spade (25 ss), Soup (meal) (1 p), 2x Cheap Pies (4 p), Pint Beer (1 p)

ADVANCES:
Free: +5% Toughness

Prince of Space fucked around with this message at Jun 20, 2018 around 15:21

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd




Wounds 3 / 8 | Fortune 1 / 3

Alice is by equal measures gratified and confused to find this tiny enclave of her people. It's quite lovely, but it's...not what she would have expected in the borderlands. And definitely not within a couple of days march of a nest of brigands. If anything things seem a little too peaceful. She doesn't share her concerns with her comrades just yet - no point letting her suspicious lawyer's mind ruin a good thing. Again. She does jump in when Jakob is trading away the captured items to employ some of her skills:

"Jakob Surety, are you accepting retail price on that sale? For this I schelp my tuchis from Talabheim? You think you can just get clubs like this anywhere, you scoundrel of a merchant? This is combat tested hardwood, taken off a desperate warrior, and you complain about the stain?"

This carries on back and forth for a while, but the proprietor of the general goods store is no match for her

haggling in middleshire tn 63: 1d100 5


Fresh from that victory she bails up an old gaffer sitting on his porch to do the thing Halflings love most outside of eating: gossip.

"Hey there, old timer. My name's Alice, I'm new in town. Lovely crops. Whats the history of this place? Good place to settle? Any trouble with big people?"

gossip (the town) tn 53: 1d100 9


thatbastardken fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2018 around 01:59

sullat
Jan 8, 2012


The halfling behind the counter at the general store looks surprised as Jakob comes in. "More new faces?" he asks. "Welcome to Middleshire!" As Jakob starts haggling with him, he smiles apologetically. "It's the off-season, you know. Some caravans pass through here from time to time, and we cater to their needs. But things slow down when the springs in the desert dry up over the summer, nobody likes to travel across a hundred miles of badlands without water..."

The merchant looks Alice up and down. Noting her wounds, he slowly nods. "Taken from a desperate warrior, you say?" He stops haggling, shoves the money over towards them. He picks up a long stick, and lifts a basket down from a top shelf. It is filled with empty bottles that say 'DOCTOR TAN'S HEALING ELIXIR'. "There's a fellow out in Waldengart that brews these. Says the water out there has healin' properties. Trade's been a little slow in the off season, though, been a while since we got a shipment... might have a few more squirrelled away for 'official business' if ya know what I mean, but... Let me get back to you on that. Come here tomorrow for second breakfast. You and your friends."


The old gaffer very quickly warms up to Alice, and within a few minutes, cool mugs of beer are brought up from the cellar for her. "Well, it were in my grand-pappy's time... he was just a stripling lad... back in the Moot there was a corrupt mayor. He kept crowning his wife as Pie Queen year after year... corrupt! People began to complain, there was fighting, feuds... even a riot! Well, the Emperor at the time happened to be passing by, and he exiled 'the malcontents' as he called them. We travelled long and far, found this valley. Settled down. And then the real trouble started..." The history of Middleshire is long and convoluted, filled with exciting tales of local politics and land-disputes. Eventually they formed an autonomous commune, with all the land held in common, and all the residents sharing in profits from the harvest. "Trouble with the big folk? Couple, three of them came through earlier today. They're staying in the inn tonight, I reckon. They been keeping to themselves. As far as politics, we're kinda out of the way, nuthin' but desert to the west, swamp to the east. Rough terrain to the south. Every once in a while some "Prince" makes noise about fealty or some such nonsense, but we usually just ignore them. Oh yeah, and there's some crazy humans who live up in the hills to the south. Claim they're waitin' for the 'End Times' or some such nonsense. World being destroyed, remade with new rules, I dunno. They're harmless, and they usually return any of the goats that stray past them. So, how about you? What brings you to Middleshire? You one of them... adventuring sorts?"

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017





"I'll have the same". Jarla buys two pies, soup and a beer.

"Yeah, like I was saying, slavers were tracking us, but we sent them running. They give you much trouble out here? Shouted sonething about a big boss, what's the deal with that?

Gossip- what about them slavers then?: 1d100 7

"Yeah, dirty work. Speaking of which, don't suppose you have a bath here? Looking to stay in the common room too if there's space.

And if you know any Launderers, could do with getting cleaned up a bit.

Gossip +10 - Any launderers about here?: 1d100 88

"I guess it's easier to wash your own things." She heads next door to the shop.

Gossip +10 - maybe the shop has some soap: 1d100 55
FP - reroll for soap: 1d100 45 aw man.

"Well water will get some dust off by itself ..."

gossip - don't suppose you've got a shovel?: 1d100 81 "Oh someone from our group just bought one? That's good then."
Gossip - best quarter staff?: 1d100 58 "No I could just grab an old stick, I was just looking for a good one."
what about bolts?: 1d100 34 "Never mind".

As she leaves, Jacob stops her with some soap he bought, passing it over.

"Oh, thanks again." She'd have to repay him in the future. He mentioned someone selling a leather jack, better quality than the stiff, rotting ones they had taken from the dead. It was a good suggestion. She headed to the merchant he pointed out to her.

Gossip +30 - any ragged old clothes I could wear in the meantime?: 1d100 56

Jarla buys some rags, a ragged dress etc., washes in river, changes into ragged dress, washes clothes in river. Outdoor survival - any soapwort growing nearby?: 1d100 64 Sets clothes to dry by the common room fire, and relaxes.

3bp on common room stay, rags for 1 bp, food for 6p leather jack 12gc

pre:
Name: Jarla Redlich

Character Profile
Primary   : | WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT| WP | FEL|
Current   : | 33 | 40 | 33 | 34 | 36 | 31 | 33 | 31 |

Secondary : | A |  W | SB | TB | M |MAG| IP | FP|
Current   : | 1 | 11 | 3  | 3  | 4 | - | -  | 3 |

Skills:
Common Knowledge (the empire)
Follow Trail
Gossip
Intimidate
Outdoor Survival
Perception
Search
Shadowing
Silent Move
Speak Language (Riekspiel)

Talents:
Lightning reflexes
Marksman
Resistance to Disease
Rover
Sp.Wpn. Entangling
Sharpshooter

Trappings:

Wide brimmed hat
common clothing consisting of a shirt, breeches, and worn boots 
Ragged clothing consisting of a ragged dress and underclothes
Belt
a tattered cloak 
Purse w/ 1gc 17ss 9bp
Crossbow w/ 13 bolts
Good Sword w/ 2 silver coins nailed to the pommel.
Net
Best quality Bolas
Boot dagger
Light armour (L. Jerkin, Jack & Skullcap)
Manacles
sling bag
5 wooden spikes
10 yd rope
poor quality tent
poor quality tinderbox
poor quality soap
blanket 
Waterskin
a wooden tankard 
a wooden cutlery set 

Fortune: 0/3

WereGoat fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2018 around 22:50

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016


Oh! I feel it. I feel the cosmos!


Dinosaur Gum


Jakob Surrety, Halfling Militiaman

After he was done with his meal of meat pies, soup and beer, Jakob returned to the General Store with some further supply questions.

"Evening, shopkeep! That pie shop really hit the spot! Got a fellow traveler in need of a good wash, now. Ya got any soaps or linaments for her to clean up with? Something that smells nice, maybe?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for Good quality Soap for Jarla (Average)!: 1d100 82 - "No? How about just the basic kind?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for Poor quality Soap for Jarla (Abundant)!: 1d100 36 - Success! "Okay, great! I'll take one pound of the stuff for 1 p."

"Now, I'm looking for something to store a map for traveling purposes. You wouldn't happen to have a map case, would you?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for a Map Case (Scarce)!: 1d100 99 - "No such luck, huh? Well it was worth a try!"

"I was taking a look at some of your wares, and I was wondering if you had anything made of Moot-leather (best), y'know, to remind me of home?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for a Moot-Leather Belt (Average)!: 1d100 31 - Success! "What, really - you do? I'll take it for 1 gc 10 ss! It fits me like a dream!

"Also, I think one of the Dwarfs I was traveling with had mentioned something about being on the lookout for good-quality Dwarven spirits. You wouldn't happen to have any, would you?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for Good quality Spirits!: 1d100 18 - Success! "Oh good! He'll be a happy customer then! Got something he can transport it in?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for a Metal Flask!: 1d100 32 - Success! "Wow, you don't see one of those every day!"

"I think someone else was asking about leather armor for their head and another one was looking for leather armor for their arms. Would you know what could be done for that?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for a Leather Skullcap!: 1d100 34 - Success! "Excellent! They'll be pleased to hear about that."
Jakob Gossips: looking for a Leather Jack!: 1d100 31 - Success! "Oh, great! I'll let them know to come your way!"

"While I'm here, you wouldn't happen to know of any lesser-quality Healing Draughts out there, would you?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for a Poor quality Healing Draught (Common?)!: 1d100 78 - "Right, right - you said to come back tomorrow after second breakfast!"

"Okay, so no healing draughts for now, but what about a snakebite, then? Do you have something in stock for that, just in case?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for an Antitoxin Kit!: 1d100 32 - Success! "You do? That's impressive! I should take it for 3 gc since, well, you never know with these kinds of things!"

"Alright, well, before I decide where I'm sleeping tonight, you don't happen to sell any tents, do you?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for a Small Tent!: 1d100 75 - "No? Not even the nicer kind?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for a Good quality Small Tent!: 1d100 95 - "Not one? How about the larger sort?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for a Large Tent!: 1d100 67 - "Okay, you've got no tents! Got it!"

"Anyway, in case I get peckish overnight I'd like to grab some basic food staples. I'm looking for some bread and cheeses and other such fare, friend."
Jakob Gossips: looking for Poor quality Rations!: 1d100 79 - "Okay, I know I asked before but it couldn't help to try. How about some eggs?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for Eggs!: 1d100 73 - "All sold out? What a shame. How about a nice sharp cheese?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for Cheese!: 1d100 31 Success! - "Lovely - I'll take a quarter pound for 5 p."
Jakob Gossips: looking for loaves of Bread!: 1d100 87 - "What? No bread to go with it? Are you crazy?"
Jakob Gossips: looking for loaves of stale Bread!: 1d100 26 - "Oh, of course - it's late in the day so the bread's mostly stale. I'll take a single loaf for 1 p.

Jakob spends 4 gc 10 ss 7 p at the store buying a Moot-Leather Belt, an Antitoxin Kit, a pound of poor-quality soap, a quarter pound of cheese, and a loaf of stale bread!

Jakob passes the Soap over to Jarla Redlich before she she washes up!

Jakob spends 3 p at the inn, planning to sleep in the common room after things died down for the night.

While staying in the Inn's common room, Jakob sought out more information on the three tallfolk travelers who had just recently come to Middleshire and booked rooms at the Inn. He didn't want to miss them if they were going to happen to leave early the next morning in a hurry.

Jakob Gossips: seeking information on the Inn's secretive guests!: 1d100 60

pre:
| WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT | WP | FEL |
| 21 | 40 | 20 | 32 | 42 | 30  | 29 | 36  |

| A |     W | SB | TB | M |  FP  |
| 1 | 10/10 |  2 |  3 | 4 | 0/3  |

SKILLS:
Academic Knowledge (Genealogy/Heraldry) (INT)
Animal Care (INT)
Common Knowledge (Halflings) (INT)
Dodge Blow (AG)
Gossip (+10%) (FEL)
Outdoor Survival (INT)
Perception (INT)
Search (INT)
Speak Language (Halfling) (Reikspiel) (INT)
Swim (S)
Trade: Bowyer (AG)
Trade: Cook (INT)

TALENTS:
Night Vision (30 yards)
Rapid Reload (Reduces reload times by a half action.)
Resistance to Chaos (+10% to Will Power Tests to resist magic and Chaos effects, Chaos mutation immunity; No magic skill.) 
Specialist Weapon Group (Sling)
Strike Mighty Blow (+1 to damage rolls with melee)
Strong-Minded (No Insanity checks until 8 IP)

TRAPPINGS:
Leather Armour (Leather Jack [1 Body, 1 Arms], Leather Skullcap [1 Head]), Uniform
Common clothing (Shirt, Breeches, Worn Boots, Tattered Cloak, Belt)
Moot-Leather Belt
Sling Bag
Blanket
Wooden tankard & cutlery set
Rations (1 week)
Bread, Loaf (stale)
Cheese (1/4 lb)
Water Skin (full)
Antitoxin Kit (3 uses)
5x Healing Poultices
Rope (20 yards)
Spade
Lantern
3x Lamp Oil (4 hrs/use)
Tinder Box (6 uses)
22x Matches
20x Marbles 
Large Pouch
Dagger [Damage: SB-2]
Sword [Damage: SB+1]
Shield [Damage: SB-2] [+10% Parry] [-10% BS on incoming ranged] 
Sling [Damage: 3] [16/32 range, Half reload] (with ammunition) 
Bow [Damage: 3] [24/48 range, Half reload] (with 20 Arrows) 
Coinpurse: 6 gc 16 ss 6 p -> 2 gc 5 ss 8 p

Purchases: Moot-Leather Belt (1 gc 10 ss), Antitoxin Kit (3 gc), Soap (poor) (1 p), Cheese (1/4 lb) (5 p), Bread, loaf (poor) (1 p), one night inn's common room (3 p).

ADVANCES:
Free: +5% Toughness

Prince of Space fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2018 around 00:21

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cerzi Foecleaver

Cerzi pokes around the stores, purchasing the Lucky Charm that Jakob found, but isn't able to find any worthwhile potions. The shopkeep suggests a few, but they seem more like snake oil to her skeptical gaze. She figures that a bigger settlement will probably have something better, so doesn't press the matter. Besides... her coin pouch is getting awfully empty.

Spending all my loot and most of my starting GP on the lucky charm, so I'm down to 1 gp and change after room and board.

Gossip for a Healing Draught: 1d100 34

Tricky fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2018 around 04:00

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd




Wounds 3 / 8 | Fortune 1 / 3

After politely thanking the Gaffer for his time and beer, and assuring him that she was definitely not an Adventurer but an honest professional in reduced circumstances, Alice returns to the general store with a slightly shorter shopping list. She's able to secure a hat that fits over the leather skullcap but that remains fashionable and comfortable, and purchases both. Retiring to the inn she pays for common room accommodation and some pies, then sits with the party to chat about the day. Her memory returns to the earlier conversation about the founding of Middleshire and she tries to recall if the events he recalled about the Pie Queen fiasco were recorded by history. She also tries to keep her eyes open for any sign of the other travellers, but she's got a full belly and it's been a long day, so keeping her eyes open at all is a struggle.

searching for leather leggings
gossip (leather leggings) TN 53: 1d100 56
searching for waterskin
gossip (good waterskin) tn 63: 1d100 94
searching for hat
gossip (good hat) tn 63: 1d100 51

Paying for accommodation - 3p common room
Purchasing Leather Skull cap 3G
Purchasing Pie x2 4p
Purchasing Hat 3gp

History - pie queen exodus? Academic Knowledge (History) TN 40: 1d100 30

Perception TN 40: 1d100 61

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Karina

Now that they're all in a town and pretty safe, Karina can take it a little easy. Being on edge for the last few weeks has taken its toll on her, that much is clear. But with the coin gathered from the brigands and a hot meal in her belly it's sure to fade away quickly. It's time to start ingratiating herself to the locals. To that end she pulls out her lute and idly strums while the group chats. After they have a plan and, perhaps, the other patrons are a little calmer and better disposed to them, it'll be time for her to make the rounds and see what other information she can dredge up.

But it looks like that might have to wait. The lute twangs pitifully and Karina quickly presses a hand to the strings to silence them before adjusting the various strings.

Perform (lute) vs 42: 1d100 71
I guess it went out of tune on the trip :s

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016


Oh! I feel it. I feel the cosmos!


Dinosaur Gum


Jakob Surrety, Halfling Militiaman

Guided under Hepador's helpful instructions, Jakob attempts to find out about the availability of uncut rare jewels in the area:

Jakob Gossips: looking for Trade Tools (Jeweler)!: 1d100 63
Jakob Gossips: looking for uncut Quartz!: 1d100 5 - Success!
Jakob Gossips: looking for uncut Hematite!: 1d100 85
Jakob Gossips: looking for uncut Rock Crystal!: 1d100 41
Jakob Gossips: looking for uncut Lapis Lazuli!: 1d100 35
Jakob Gossips: looking for uncut Malachite!: 1d100 50
Jakob Gossips: looking for uncut Tiger's Eye!: 1d100 92
Jakob Gossips: looking for uncut Agate!: 1d100 33
Jakob Gossips: looking for uncut Amethyst!: 1d100 98
Jakob Gossips: looking for uncut Chalcedony!: 1d100 72
Jakob Gossips: looking for uncut Chrysoberyl!: 1d100 88
Jakob Gossips: looking for uncut Jet!: 1d100 67
Jakob Gossips: looking for uncut Spinel!: 1d100 75
Jakob Gossips: looking for uncut Tourmaline!: 1d100 94
Jakob Gossips: looking for uncut Zircon!: 1d100 93

Alas, he just didn't have the inside knowledge necessary to garner any results. As far as Jakob had heard it from the local vendors, there was only one raw precious stone in the area available for sale within Jakob's budget, and that was an uncut chunk of raw quartz. When he held it in his hand, Jakob liked the way the clouded crystals glinted in the light, so he took the stone with him and stowed it in his pack as a keepsake.

Jakob buys the Uncut Quartz for 8 ss!

Jakob, exhausted from all the excitement, violence, and inquiries for the day, curls up in his blanket by the hearth and falls asleep in the inn's commons room!

Jakob makes a Perception test to see if he wakes up in time to see the inn's other guests leaving!: 1d100 42

pre:
| WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT | WP | FEL |
| 21 | 40 | 20 | 32 | 42 | 30  | 29 | 36  |

| A |     W | SB | TB | M |  FP  |
| 1 | 10/10 |  2 |  3 | 4 | 0/3  |

SKILLS:
Academic Knowledge (Genealogy/Heraldry) (INT)
Animal Care (INT)
Common Knowledge (Halflings) (INT)
Dodge Blow (AG)
Gossip (+10%) (FEL)
Outdoor Survival (INT)
Perception (INT)
Search (INT)
Speak Language (Halfling) (Reikspiel) (INT)
Swim (S)
Trade: Bowyer (AG)
Trade: Cook (INT)

TALENTS:
Night Vision (30 yards)
Rapid Reload (Reduces reload times by a half action.)
Resistance to Chaos (+10% to Will Power Tests to resist magic and Chaos effects, Chaos mutation immunity; No magic skill.) 
Specialist Weapon Group (Sling)
Strike Mighty Blow (+1 to damage rolls with melee)
Strong-Minded (No Insanity checks until 8 IP)

TRAPPINGS:
Leather Armour (Leather Jack [1 Body, 1 Arms], Leather Skullcap [1 Head]), Uniform
Common clothing (Shirt, Breeches, Worn Boots, Tattered Cloak, Belt)
Moot-Leather Belt
Sling Bag
Blanket
Wooden tankard & cutlery set
Rations (1 week)
Bread, Loaf (stale)
Cheese (1/4 lb)
Water Skin (full)
Antitoxin Kit (3 uses)
5x Healing Poultices
Rope (20 yards)
Spade
Lantern
3x Lamp Oil (4 hrs/use)
Tinder Box (6 uses)
22x Matches
20x Marbles
Large Pouch
Uncut Quartz
Dagger [Damage: SB-2]
Sword [Damage: SB+1]
Shield [Damage: SB-2] [+10% Parry] [-10% BS on incoming ranged] 
Sling [Damage: 3] [16/32 range, Half reload] (with ammunition) 
Bow [Damage: 3] [24/48 range, Half reload] (with 20 Arrows) 
Coinpurse: 2 gc 5 ss 8 p -> 1 gc 17 ss 8 p

Purchases: Uncut Quartz (8 ss)

ADVANCES:
Free: +5% Toughness

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!




Hepador LaLoche

Ah! What a town! Cheery Halflings bustled and waddled through the dirt-hewn streets, the smell of dinners and sooner-suppers and even a few night-fetes wafted thick through the air. Hepador was used to the capital, where the only scents wafting were those that couldn't be killed. This town smelled like halflings. Modest wood-burning stoves charring, simmering and searing sumptuous morsels every other hour of every day. It was beautiful. He could tell by looking it wouldn't have the same amenities. But who needs amenities in a town this idyllic? Hepador couldn't be happier.

He started marching into the center of town. There wouldn't be anything there, of course. Humans put their markets in the center of town. Halflings put there gardens in the center of town. It's a question of priorities. But, Hepador was prepared to wager a guess that he could find all the info he wanted while strolling past some lovely berry bushes, enjoying the scent of flowers. And as his strides brought him closer to the sylvan heart of MIddleshire, his suspicions were confirmed by a pair of plump middle aged Halfling, lazily chewing on a turnip each, staring into the setting sun.

"You have a gem of a village!" He called out to the pair. They smiled and chuckled. "Whaa? Middleshire? Heh, nothin' too special 'bout oll Middleshire." Hepador sat himself on the grass beside the pair, leaning backward on his palms and smiling at the sunset. "Ahh, it's butter on bread friends. Doesn't have to be fancy to be a delight." They chuckled again, traded a look between themselves and offered the stranger a turnip, straight from the dirt. "Whaa can we do ya for traveler?"

Ask if theres a physician's apprentice in town: 1#1d100 23

"Oh Aye! We've a pretty fine little medic in training. Fine in a couple ways if you catch my meaning. Ol' Jaspers always looking for somfin he can pull outta place since she started at the clinic, ain' that right Jasper?!" The slightly younger of the pair blushed and swatted at the air. "Ah, pay no mind pay no mind. Our clinic's 'bout two hills southwest o the gardens iffn you need a professional eye. We've a full professional Doc too iffn the need is dire. You don't look like you need more than a good turnip yourself however."

Ask if anyone is selling raw gems: 1#1d100 8

"We-ell, we don't get the 'expensive taste' type in town very often. Middleshire's gonna love you and your lot. Aye, there's a gemmer in town. Mind, not a gem-cutter. More of a .. geology enthusiast but, he'll be happy to find ya a stone of your liking. It's the off-season. I reckon you'll be all he's gonna see the next two months. Unless Jasper ever builds the nerve!" Jasper blushed and swatted at the air. "She don't even know my name!" The older of the pair chuckled boisterously and bit another juicy sample of turnip, turning back to Hepador. "Ah, pay no mind pay no mind."

He thanked the men for the turnip and the hospitality and went off to find the gemmer. He sat in front of a wooden stall, sipping a very small serving of coffee from a mug he had obviously chipped himself from rough, porous stone. When the man understood Hepador was a customer and not just a friendly newcomer, he practically threw the linens off his wares, lighting a hand held candle and eagerly placing a series of stones in front of its iridescence.

Haggle the price of raw gems: 1#1d100 75

"Are you out of your mind?!" His eyes narrowed in bewilderment. "This is the finest amber in the Waste! I mean, the Wilds! I'm Middleshire's foremost proprietor of exquisite minerals, been so voted every year since opening shop. I do not offer discounts!"

"That must be nice." Hepador thought to himself, taking out his pocket book. "No merchant in the capital ever sold an uncut stone. Let alone for full price."

Hepador purchases a 1 carat gem of uncut Amber (5 gc) and four 1 carat gems of uncut Obsidian (1gc 16 ss)

Ask about a jeweler's kit in town.: 1#1d100 65

"WHY would you CUT such irreplaceable stone!? They're already masterpieces, they don't need any meddling. Put them on a counter! Or keep them for good luck. They make great gifts!" Hepador pushed the issue, but the gemmer would have none of it. He just tutted. "Nope. Nope nope. No jeweler's kits anywhere in Middleshire. Not a one."

Ask if a merchant is familiar with the terrible silver coins: 1#1d100 30

"Aye, silvers silver lad. Don't pay to be picky. Spends the same anyway."

What Hepador does or doesn't learn from this conversation with the gemmer will be Sullat's decision and I'll leave the issue of narrating it to him.

Hepador had had quite enough of the eccentric little gemmer and wandered back into town. On route he found an adolescent halfling sitting in a rocking chair beside his napping grandfather, both with corncob pipes in hand.

Ask around town for a forge: 1#1d100 10

The young one whispered. "Big Terrence runs the forge in town. You're gonna want him. Make sure it's Big Terrence though. Little Terrence won't do nothin'. 'Cept try to make you read and get angry when you misspell words. No one likes Little Terrence. All my friends think he's Daft. But Big Terrence is fine, and he runs the forge. It's that way." He pointed with the end of his pipe to the eastern hills of Middleshire.

"Noted." Hepador said with a smile and a wave. "Have a lovely evening." The little Halfling smiled and blew a smoke ring at the setting sun, rocking patiently while his grandfather released a vigorous snore. Hepador shook his head while he was leaving, holding in a smile. That little boy's granddad must be so proud. A short stroll brought Hepador to the eastern hills and into the company of a rather portly Halfling. Strong armed, potbellied, bearded like a goat. "Big Terrence?" Hepador asked. The man raised an eyebrow. "Well, you've found me at a disadvantage stranger. To whom do I have the honor?" They made pleasant introductions and got straight into business.

Negotiate to use the forge (haggle): 1#1d100 56

"... You? ... You wanna use me forge? ... Personally? ... Umm, I uh - I guess? I don't - normally- umm ... I mean, I hope you understand this is fairly unusual. I'm the Smith in town. But, if you don't want anything smithed, you just wanna use the tools, and you're paying anyway ... I don't see why not." He scratched his head. And then his stomach. "... So ... Coins huh?"

I pay the smith whatever it costs to use his forge for an hour. Let me know and I'll edit it in. This roll is successful because I have Haggle and Dealmaker. So my goal to hit is 61, as I understand.

Evaluate the silver coins with proper tools: 1#1d100 60

Hepador had broken a sweat and he couldn't promise that he'd learned much more than earlier that day around the campfire. It was perhaps not money well spent but, he'd nap on his findings and see if inspiration didn't strike sometime in the night. Speaking of, it was probably time to return to the inn and his caravan mates. Everyone had gone their own direction entering town. But, there was only one inn in Middleshire and he could be certain with the moon rising he would find his team resting there. Honestly, he was ready for a rest as well. He made his farewell's to Big Terrence and wandered over to the hotel. He booked a spot in the common room for 3 p and shared the story of his day.

"By the way, everyone. I learned there's a physician's apprentice in Middleshire. It occurs to me, if we're gonna be fighting slavers in the badlands and getting deep notches in our legs ... It might be worth our money to keep a doctor on hand. None of us are exactly great at mending wounds. And odds are good we're gonna keep acquiring wounds. I think tomorrow we should pay her a visit and see if she'll accompany the party until better accommodations can be made. I'd have done it today but, I wanted to bridge the subject with you all first. And anyway, the doctors not going anyway."

Started with 15 GC. Spent 6 GC and 16 SS on gems, 3 P on a common room lodging, and ??? on the cost of an hour at the forge. Gained 13 GC 10 SS and 1 P from my share of the sold loot. Ending the day with 21 GC 13 SS and 10 P minus the cost of an hour at the forge.

KhediveRex fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2018 around 07:10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!




Hepador LaLoche

"Call me the suspicious type, but three strange humans in town is a little .... Suspicious." Hepador said summarily after Alice had caught him up on her day. He stroked his chin contemplatively.

"One minute." He said, standing up from his cozy little perch in the corner of the common rooms. He left the group and made his way back to the innkeeper. They talked quietly together for a minute or two, and Hepador returned to the party with seven pint precariously balanced between his arms and chest. He smiled and made a commotion, passing the drinks out the everyone in the party. "Drinks are on me! Welcome back to civilization! Drink up ladies and gentleman! The very finest Middleshire Beer!"

In the middle of the commotion and levity, he took a pair of keys from his pocket and very subtly slipped them into Alice's hand.

"Why, It's only been forever since we've had accommodations this nice! Blessing's to the Innkeeper!" and then quietly "Get these to whoever wants the responsibility. We've got the room right next to the humans. TRULY, I have never seen such a splendid town! I think I may live here! You've made a immigrant of me with this most singular Beer! HAHA!"

5 SS to rent the room directly next to the humans. 7 P to buy seven pints of beer. I make enough noise to make people think I stood up for the beers and not for the keys, in case anyone's paying attention.

  • Locked thread