Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

That’s right, SyFy has effectively cancelled all of its watchable original programming but not without giving us one last all-star season of Face Off.

If you’re interested in signing a petition to renew the show you can do so here. Un-cancelling shows seems to be pretty popular nowadays.

CAST posted:

Kayla Jo Holland
8th from Season 1
North Hollywood, CA

Matt Valentine
4th from Season 2
Austin, TX

Derek Garcia
Runner-up from Season 3
Miami, FL

Graham Schofield
6th from Season 6
Los Angeles

Sasha Glasser
6th from Season 7
Los Angeles

Damien Zimmerman
8th from Season 7
Junction City, KS

Kelly Harris
8th from Season 8
Columbus, OH

Jordan Patton
4th from Season 9
Pittsburgh, PA

Kevon Ward
8th from Season 9
Denver, CO

Walter Welsh
Runner-up from Season 10
Martinez, CA

Mel Licata
4th from Season 10
Jersey City, NJ

Yvonne Cox
5th from Season 10
Okotoks, Alberta

Face Off S13 airs Tuesdays at 9EST starting June 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Ah man I love this dumb show.

Maybe they're ending it because there isn't the talent pool big enough for new competitors? With something like Ink Master or that runway show there's probably a lot more tattooists and fashion designers than movie effects artists out there.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Shneak posted:

That’s right, SyFy has effectively cancelled all of its watchable original programming but not without giving us one last all-star season of Face Off.

Wow what that sucks. At least it's an All Star season?

TheDon01 posted:

Ah man I love this dumb show.

Maybe they're ending it because there isn't the talent pool big enough for new competitors? With something like Ink Master or that runway show there's probably a lot more tattooists and fashion designers than movie effects artists out there.

Doubtful since every year there's a new crop of people graduating from school, plus, theres always people who want to be on TV whether its in their best interests or not.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm so glad we're getting an All Stars season, the last few regular seasons weren't all that great. I also love that even though these guys have all competed on the show before and gone on to have great FX careers afterwards we still got mold lock 20 min before end of day (with everyone else jumping in to help clean the mold) and people having panic attacks in last looks. :v:
https://twitter.com/FaceOffSYFY/status/1004172799286693888

On the other hand the head-to-head battle aspect didn't work so well, it was pretty clear who was going to win each of the face offs (usually right from the design stage) so that kind've sucked the tension out of the judging a fair bit. I also groaned out loud when Mackenzie told them the theme this season was "unlucky number 13!" because the season themes are usually more annoying than anything but thankfully they seemed to have dropped that pretty much instantly instead of awkwardly trying to tie it into the episode's challenge.

It'll be interesting to see how they determine which two people get sent home in every second episode, I guess the people who been in bottom looks for those two episodes are automatically under consideration and I guess if someone had a close win combined with a really really disastrous loss they might also be on the list. If they have two episodes where everyone wins one and loses one they're gonna be screwed trying to figure out who to send home.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm so glad we're getting an All Stars season, the last few regular seasons weren't all that great.

I have no recollection of the last newbie season. Nobody from it is on this one so it can't be just me.

I like the battle format way more than the team format because its all individual now and we get to see that one artist's specific style.

God the elder god Humpty Dumpty was so good. I even bought the concept more than the fawn-like Tinkerbell.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's sad to see it die but like people said, it's a combination of the talent pool drying up and the budget drying up.

The "focus challenges" that one season ruined the show, since they only had the time to shoot 2 day instead of 3 day segments and could only touch the face. The spin-off that failed was centered around pre-built prosthetic, because again, cheap.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ha ha ha what an absolute train wreck, I loved it. Asking them to do whimsical monsters is always a struggle but then asking them to add a gag/reveal on top of that was just way too much to expect from them. The fact that one of the makeups didn't have a working gag but still made it into the top 2 is pretty telling.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I was more annoyed that most of the gags had no concept. It's like "okay... but why?"

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Lol my wife has mostly Aztec heritage and also named Xochitl and was sooooo mad watching the latest ep.

The designs all sucked rear end. The one paintjob that won was pretty good though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TheDon01 posted:

Lol my wife has mostly Aztec heritage and also named Xochitl and was sooooo mad watching the latest ep.

Ha ha ha that's hilarious, I can't even imagine.

I'm somewhat amazed that they keep doing "Ancient gods, but with a twist!" episodes, at least half the contestants completely flounder every time

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Yeah this episode gave me PTSD. I had to develop logos for a client that were based in Aztec art and lore but explicitly separate from Mayan/Incan.

I'm still not sure if technology was an aspect of the concept because some of them didn't have it and didn't get read for it? Overall not a fan of the actual creature designs but the paint jobs were good.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Honestly I'm just happy that no one made a landscape diorama with little trees and rivers on their face sculpt this time around.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ugh, a two day challenge. Dammit guys.

I'm surprised that Kelly got eliminated so early, I thought she was going to be a contender. Even though I like Mel I'm amazed she hasn't been sent home yet, she's been struggling all season and they absolutely raked her makeup over the coals this episode.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Mel could get away with murder. She's performed the worst overall out of the bottom three but there's something endearing about it and that's probably why they kept her.

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
That intro to the challenge by McKenzie was really fun.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Matt's work is really gorgeous and super Del Toro-esque but I wish he'd stop sticking teeth on the outside of his sculpts, they just look weird.

Mel continues to be a total Milhouse, her character looked like an elephant's foot. :pwn:

A bunch of the other entries were pretty ordinary, it was a bit of a weird topic.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Yeah the teeth on that pope-death looked like poo poo, how could they not call him out for anatomy on that one. The drat teeth are touching the nose.

Jordans was great and they were drat hard on his. But yeah kinda masky.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh hooray a tree monster episode. I guess it could have been a rock monster episode which would have been slightly worse, but only slightly.

It's so goddamned weird that any competitor on this show would struggle with beauty makeup, let alone a returning All Star. They know they're going to have to do beauty makeups, why are they so unprepared?

I'm disappointed that Graham got the boot, he's at least fun to watch.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Tree makeups are extremely my poo poo and I've never gotten bored of them.

Mel's "this is my favourite makeup I've ever done" and the judges not having it was :smith:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm disappointed that Graham got the boot, he's at least fun to watch.

Same, he's a great character, but it was a huge miss this week. As he himself acknowledged. Oh well.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
I’ve been bingeing this show on Hulu and I am up to Season 7 and starting to get tired. I have some questions:

1. Are there any really good seasons after this one worth watching?
2. What are your favorite challenges you’ve seen on the show?
3. At any point does GWAR show up and the spotlight challenge is to make designs worthy of them?

I really like the concept of the show, where people get to showcase a range of their talents for the people who could actually hire them. The sheer amount of things they have to know how to do (sculpting, fabrication, sewing, makeup, painting) is pretty mind boggling. I only know how to do two and a half of those things and they’re all overwhelming.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Ive only really been watching the last handful of seasons, although they’ve been alright none of them stand out. I think I like the premise of the show more than actual execution. Good makeup needs time.

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
I feel like there was a pretty substantial drop in the talent pool over the past few seasons. For instance, the winner of last season (not giving anything away, just in case) seems pretty obvious after the first episode or 2.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

vaginadeathgrip posted:

I’ve been bingeing this show on Hulu and I am up to Season 7 and starting to get tired. I have some questions:

1. Season 7 is my personal favourite actually so I suppose it gets worse from there. I'd recommend 9 and 11.
2. The last few seasons actually have finale challenges where they need to make multiple makeups and actually film them in action for various shorts.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well the results of the semi-final were .... pretty predictable.

I had to laugh that the editors tried so hard to avoid showing Mel's vampire towards the end of the show and the judges struggled to come up with something positive to say about it. Her last few makeups looked like cartoon cows.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

vaginadeathgrip posted:

3. At any point does GWAR show up and the spotlight challenge is to make designs worthy of them?

I really like the concept of the show, where people get to showcase a range of their talents for the people who could actually hire them. The sheer amount of things they have to know how to do (sculpting, fabrication, sewing, makeup, painting) is pretty mind boggling. I only know how to do two and a half of those things and they’re all overwhelming.

1. No. After Laura wins her all-star season, the show might as well have stopped. I still watch every season like a loon, though. The Season 7 winner is the last non-returning winner that I can even remember. From then on forward, it's either returning all-stars or schmoes whom I can't remember for the life of me. I remember terrible contestants from the last few season more than the actual good ones (hello, Missy Munster!).

2. Pass.

3. Nope, sorry!

This show really ran out of talent pretty early on. It's not like chefs and tattoo artists, there's comparatively not that many people out there who can do good special effects make-up that aren't yet discovered. Also, the materials are more expensive, so that make it prohibitive for a casual hobbies starting out, I would guess.

As someone who has watched it since the very first episode, part of me is sad to see the show end, but I've been saying for years, they need to take a year off to replenish their talent pool, and instead they've accelerated to two seasons per year. Season 13's all-star season is just sad - a whole lot of schmoes who made no impression on me their first time around.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Uh, I guess tonight's the finale? That was rushed.

This F3 was rather predictable. Jordan was a toss-up but there's no way I see him winning anyway. I feel like Matt would be a great final winner since he's from an early season but Walter was robbed on his original season.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Shneak posted:

Finale - part 1.

But yeah, whatever, just end it, 'cuz I'm not going to stop watching it no matter how disappointed I am in it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shneak posted:

This F3 was rather predictable. Jordan was a toss-up but there's no way I see him winning anyway. I feel like Matt would be a great final winner since he's from an early season but Walter was robbed on his original season.

I feel like Matt has been the front runner for most of the season so I can easily see him winning. Walter is being built up as the comeback kid for finale part 2 but I can just as easily see that not happening. Jordan made the dumbass decision to allow Mel to sculpt 50% of the faces in his grand final makeups (after she sculpted terrible faces all season) which had really, really predictable results so he's pretty much shot himself in the foot.

To be fair Jordan got last pick so he was pretty much stuck with Mel and there's not a lot else he could've handed off to her, but he really should have had a lot more input into her work before it went to the mold room.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Series finale. Zero new posts. 1 total page for the thread. Yeah, that's about right.

(This is spoiler tagged, so if you haven't watched the finale yet, don't read past this point.)

I'm okay with Matt winning. I hated his Alice's face, but everything else was really good. I could've seen the judges giving it to Jordan just based on the grasshopper alone, but that fox's face was hosed up even the second time around, and Alice's arms/hands were just pathetic. As for Walter... he can't seem to make a General Gingerbread who doesn't look like a leering child molester. And his Alice's face sucked, too. Lolipop ballerina was pretty decent.

Smell you later, Face Off. Smell you later - forever! I'm free, I'm free, I'm finally free!!!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah that final episode was underwhelming. I was insufficiently whelmed.

The results were pretty predictable. Matt's makeups were the only ones that were passable, Walter and Jordan's makeups had issues and weren't really finale worthy. On the other hand a fox/canine makeup and a gingerbread man makeup were pretty lovely makeups to force onto people for a finale because this show has a long long history of people trying and failing to make those work. (Remember the galactic werewolves episode??) A full body cricket makeup was also always going to be difficult because there's just no way to make those big back legs look good without heavy CGI.
The movie they made to showcase the makeups was okay which makes it better than the cringeworthy finale movies from previous seasons.

Ve Neill didn't sound great, I hope she's okay. :ohdear:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Matt killed it. His attention to detail regarding the wood/metal/porcelain material of his characters won him the season.

I'm glad that the show went out on the best finale short film yet (not that that's difficult to do) and the entire cast got to participate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

LabyaMynora posted:

Series finale. Zero new posts. 1 total page for the thread. Yeah, that's about right.

I never watch live, and I imagine others don't either, it's not really the kind of show you have to watch live.

Matt deserved it for being the best in this challenge and arguably the best overall, but I thought Jordan was very close... his grasshopper was absolutely stellar, as the judges pointed out. He's maybe the only person to ever do "bug face with big fake eyes" and pull it off. But no way was he going to win with a fun fur character.

Kind of sad that this is the end, but without a good budget it's been more of the same for some time. Still, a great show.

wikipedia posted:

On October 11, 2015, Westmore married former Face Off judge Patrick Tatopoulos. The couple met while working together on the first season of the show.

Huh

• Locked thread