Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQlVmvXAGLI

Kia ora, and welcome to the Aotearoa new zealand politics thread.

Click for previous ones

What is Aotearoa new zealand politics?

Aotearoa new zealand is a country of about 4.7 million people. It’s a Westminster-style unicameral parliamentary democracy, with a Prime Minister leading the government. The head of state is Queen Elizabeth 2, represented by a Governor-General.

Elections are held every three years (the last one was in 2017), using a mixed-member proportional (MMP) electoral system. This video is a good explainer, but essentially you get two votes: one for your local representative (electorate MP), and one for your preferred party. The 120 seats in Parliament are filled by the 71 winning electorate MPs, then the remainder with MPs from the party ‘list’, until proportionality with the party vote is achieved.

The current parliament looks like this:

MMP has traditionally led to a greater number of parties being represented, and required coalitions or confidence and supply agreements between parties to form governments. The current parliament has five parties, the lowest number under MMP (introduced in 1996).

Who are the main characters?

Jacinda Ardern is Prime Minister and leader of the New Zealand Labour Party. She’s young, charismatic and popular, and got thrown into the party leadership position just a month before the election. Labour is a third-way social democratic party, with its support coming mainly from urban liberals, Māori, Pasifika and a dwindling segment of its traditional working class base. Its main priorities are addressing the crises in housing, health and education that stem from the last government’s deliberate underinvestment.

Winston Peters is Deputy Prime Minister and leader of the New Zealand First Party. He’s been an MP for close to four decades and was the ‘kingmaker’ in the last election. NZ First is a populist, interventionist and xenophobic party. It’s kind of in the mould of UKIP and other anti-immigration parties, getting votes from the elderly and the alienated working class. Its main priorities are pork-barrelling provincial Aotearoa new zealand, and planting One Billion Trees.

Marama Davidson and James Shaw are co-leaders of the Green Party of Aotearoa New Zealand. The Greens are a left-ecologist party, with supporters tending to come from either social justice or environmentalist camps. They’ve become a lot more mainstream in the past decade or so, and are endlessly told to abandon the left-wing stuff by the commentariat. This government marks the first time the Greens have held ministerial portfolios.

Simon Bridges is Leader of the Opposition and of the New Zealand National Party. He’s Māori, a self-described compassionate conservative, and held a range of portfolios including Transport, Economic Development, and Energy and Resources in the previous government. National is a liberal-conservative party, with its support coming from farmers and the petty bourgeoisie. It’s still in denial about losing at the last election, but seems to be focusing on attacking the government for being soft on crime and tough on oil companies.

David Seymour is the Association of Consumers and Taxpayers. He’s been gifted a seat by the National Party in the hopes of getting a second ACT MP (weird quirk of MMP), but that hasn’t worked out. ACT is a libertarian party, with its support coming from engineers, guys who do computer stuff, and the suburb of Epsom. His current priorities are legalising voluntary euthanasia and cutting red tape, except as it relates to housing density in his electorate.

Wow, sounds interesting! Where can I find out more?

Stuff – Biggest news website
NZ Herald – Editorially right-wing, Auckland focus.
RNZ – Public broadcaster, good.
The Spinoff – Youth, Auckland and transport focus, kind of tediously centrist
Newsroom – Pretty new. Cover different stories than the others, with a deeper/more investigative focus

bike tory posted:

Basically all ISPs in NZ are what they say on the tin if you've got a fibre connection. The cheaper ones have shittier customer service if something goes wrong, and be sure to check the TOS to see what/if any packet shaping they do. That's the only real difference between the cheapo $75/month ones and $95/month or whatever Spark expect from you these days.

exmarx fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Winston "Event Horizon" Peters.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
A reminder for page 1 of the thread: homophobic megachurch Preacher Brian Tamaki started a fire in a pile of garbage, then fell into it and burnt large sections of his body, including his genitals.

My dude burnt his dick in a dumpster fire that he started, and I've never seen a man's life create such a perfect metaphor for itself.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I was hoping to get the first bad post of the thread, but I see I have been soundly beaten.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

At the risk of starting this thread off by being accused of racism too, I think Labour have done a decent job of their changes to the post-study employment entitlements for people on student visas.
https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/358747/changes-to-student-visas-could-restrict-post-study-employment

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

I was hoping to get the first bad post of the thread, but I see I have been soundly beaten.
You cannot burn me; I walked through god's holy dick fire.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
HAHAHA YOUR COUNTRY IS HOT GARBAGE AUSTRALIA SUPREMACY

Can I move there?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Starshark posted:

Can I move there?

gently caress off we're full

of hot garbage

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Starshark posted:

Can I move there?

Look, we are already full of racist poo poo heads here, we don't need any aussies coming over and making things worse.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Love that OP. NZ First gets a good laugh for what it actually is. I was confused for a moment why we had smeg head before coming to my senses, such is his power.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The accusation of NZ First pork barreling the regions is totally false and unfair because it suggests that Shane Jones will proactively pursue regional development projects. You know, instead of sitting on his $1bn budget like the lazy wanker that he is and rubber stamping whatever useless projects get proposed to him without even reading the executive summaries in full.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It also misrepresents National as maybe not pork-barrelling the regions given their below-return regional roads and farming subsidies.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI_Y2rt8XN8

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Spinoff is centrist? Every article I've seen linked here and on FB seems pretty leftist, but perhaps that's just the cross-section of it that I'm getting due to this being a leftist thread and my tendency not to be friends with non-lefties

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Wafflecopper posted:

The Spinoff is centrist? Every article I've seen linked here and on FB seems pretty leftist, but perhaps that's just the cross-section of it that I'm getting due to this being a leftist thread and my tendency not to be friends with non-lefties

they're not really centrist, but they definitely seem to be aimed at people whose parents read the listener. also they're trying to rehabilitate wayne mapp for some reason

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Didn't Peter Thiel and the guy from reddit purchase your country? You're telling me they didn't evict you all :confused:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

His current priorities are legalising voluntary euthanasia and cutting red tape, except as it relates to housing density in his electorate.
goddammit

Why is this the one thing libertarians are always totally cool with the government being heavy-handed as gently caress with

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lightning Lord posted:

Didn't Peter Thiel and the guy from reddit purchase your country? You're telling me they didn't evict you all :confused:

He can't get the blood of virgins if he kicks everyone out.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Passive aggressive lower case ftw

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Cicero posted:

goddammit

Why is this the one thing libertarians are always totally cool with the government being heavy-handed as gently caress with

Libertarian freedom is their freedom specifically, from responsibility, consequence or any sort of inconvenience.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Passive aggressive lower case ftw

I'm into it

What's everyone's take on the Pakeha woman gets a moko kauae story? I've seen it floating around my social media a bunch.

I'm on my phone so just imagine a macron please

The Schwa fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 4, 2018

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
it would have been really funny if they just made one of the topp twins a dame

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

The Schwa posted:

I'm into it

What's everyone's take on the Pakeha woman gets a moko kauae story? I've seen it floating around my social media a bunch.

"Because she was being called to it" is some grade A pretentiousness, if she'd just up and gone 'I thought it would look cool' I wouldn't give a drat.

At least, not until I saw the picture. That doesn't look good at all, what was the point? It's like hacking off a finger because you claim to identify with the Simpson family.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

The Schwa posted:

I'm into it

My wife is Taiwanese. We have traveled Taiwan together multiple times. She showed me facets of both ~modern~ and aboriginal Taiwanese culture and it was incredible. It doesn't mean I'm going to get "Taiwan Taiwan" stamped on my forehead or strut around in traditional Formosan clothing.

There is a line between embracing the culture of someone you love without prejudice and "cultural appropriation". It doesn't really feel like the line is that grey. You also have to be pretty tone deaf to grow up in NZ, have even the most basic understanding of NZ history and still think that this was going to be a good idea. I mean, it apparently took her own husband two and a half years to come to terms with the idea....

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

The Schwa posted:

I'm into it

I’ve got no problems with people getting Maori style tattoos as kirituhi, which is all this is at the end of the day. I mean gently caress, if you absolutely have to have it mean something, just pretend it does

But the fact she’s presenting it as a moko, and saying that she feels entitled for it to be one because of *laundry list of reasons* is just yea, like WarpedNaba said, pure pretentiousness, no matter how much your husband/tattooist is vouching for you

I feel the fact she didn’t simply just put it somewhere other than her face is telling too

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 4, 2018

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Xik posted:

It doesn't mean I'm going to get "Taiwan Taiwan" stamped on my forehead

The last person I read about who did this got the poo poo kicked out of him by ten mainland labourers.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Sir Bill English

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

alpaca diseases posted:

But the fact she’s presenting it as a moko, and saying that she feels entitled for it to be one because of *laundry list of reasons* is just yea, like WarpedNaba said, pure pretentiousness, no matter how much your husband/tattooist is vouching for you

I feel the fact she didn’t simply just put it somewhere other than her face is telling too

Ya I think the article The Schwa linked says it really well - it's not so much about hard and fast rules forbidding white people ever getting moko, more about contexts and relationships in which Maori can share taonga rather than pakeha taking them

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Sir Bill English

For services in losing to Labour, twice.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

The last person I read about who did this got the poo poo kicked out of him by ten mainland labourers.

Yeah, it was a reference to that. I didn't link it because the photos in most of the articles are pretty rough, but the NZ Herald article seems fine (don't click through to the source unless you want to see a beaten face).

Sort of off topic, but the hatred is real. Even in NZ, we've been at the super market or the warehouse and have had shitheads tell her she "isn't Taiwanese", shes "Chinese". Like just casual conversation with a checkout or something can turn to poo poo. I remember one guy in front of us in line one time just randomly telling her I would be able to "give her nice handsome white babies". She actively avoids speaking mandarin over here at all because she doesn't want to deal with it. Even at work (we work together) where we frequently have contractors come in that that speak mandarin, she staunchly refuses to let on she speaks or understands it.

On our wedding day, we were at the Langham for photo shoot and there was a Chinese employee directing people around, calling elevator etc. Wife and her mum were speaking in Taiwanese (her mum doesn't speak English), and the employee asked me what "dialect of Chinese" they were speaking as she hadn't heard it before. I told her it was Taiwanese and her face went deadpan and she sort of stormed off.....

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

How many people in NZ know the issue with Taiwan and China? Or was it people from China giving you guys grief?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Im pretty sure that most kiwis know the rough details of the Taiwan/China beef.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I wouldn't put money on it.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I don't think it's that many. I just assume those that talk poo poo that aren't obviously from the mainland have spent time there or something, but I don't really know.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ghostlight posted:

I wouldn't put money on it.

I'd put money against it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bike tory posted:

Im pretty sure that most kiwis know the rough details of the Taiwan/China beef.

Amazingly optimistic seeing as most kiwis don't know the rough details of the Maori/England beef.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

"The deal with all the Maori/English beef? Well I heard we're one of the last countries to deal with bovis.."

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I know Taiwan and China have beef, and the beef has to do with Taiwans sovereignty, but I don't know the specifics. I don't think people are dumb for not knowing that Taiwan and China have beef, or that Myanmar and Burma are the same place, or that a billion other things are weird because history.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I thought china got all their beef from us

x

D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

klen dool posted:

I know Taiwan and China have beef, and the beef has to do with Taiwans sovereignty, but I don't know the specifics. I don't think people are dumb for not knowing that Taiwan and China have beef, or that Myanmar and Burma are the same place, or that a billion other things are weird because history.

Ya this is what I mean when I say the "rough details", not the specific history of the Chinese cultural revolution and Taiwan's government-in-exile or anything