Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Varkk posted:

Oranga Tamariki is one of the more important entities for wanting to keep the schools open. Unfortunately not every child has a safe or happy home and schools are one of the most important escapes and contact points for those children. After the first lockdown with the schools closed so many vulnerable children were in a far worse condition as a result. There are also a lot of social programs which target these kids which use the schools as an important contact point and many of these programs had to be paused while they were closed. It isn’t just about forcing the kids in to schools for capitalism.

I mean it definitely still is, it just isn't a simple 1-2 of need drones -> go to school. It's part of the whole immiseration system; those kids could just as easily have their actual material circumstances improved without also having to risk getting covid, but this way is better for the status quo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Lol immediate comparison between treating Maori like human beings to Stalinism

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

words cannot describe how much i hate this loving rat faced weasel

simian brown

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

if you use all the land for highways then people can't build houses that will own cars on it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ah yes, highways. Famously effective at reducing traffic congestion.

Why are they even trying anymore? Can't he just say he has mates at Fletcher's? People will vote how they vote anyway

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

cars Cars CARS

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300504640/omicron-at-soundsplash--claims-of-unvaccinated-fencejumpers-at-music-festival

quote:

I’m not concerned as it needs to run its course, we will all eventually catch Covid just like any other virus.

My son and I both have autoimmune conditions, so we will get very sick. But, hey. It is what it is.

:negative:

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Induced demand?

Oh that’s just a thing like when there’s no toilet paper ay

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Sphyre posted:

simian brown

Is there even something remotely like a well researched business case for what he's suggesting or is this literally just stuff he's pulled out of his own rear end?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Lobsterpillar posted:

Is there even something remotely like a well researched business case for what he's suggesting or is this literally just stuff he's pulled out of his own rear end?

what do you think he's doing with his hands in that photo?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Lobsterpillar posted:

The central city cannot accommodate any more cars than it currently does, and also has no space for extra roads. There's literally no business case that makes more cars coming into the city viable, it's just a complete waste of money from the get go.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
More cars!

(Don't ask where you'll park 'em)

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

bike tory posted:

The central city cannot accommodate any more cars than it currently does, and also has no space for extra roads. There's literally no business case that makes more cars coming into the city viable, it's just a complete waste of money from the get go.

When you're in the safest National seat in the country it doesn't matter what ridiculous poo poo you say/do.

A good post on greaterauckland.org.nz (in the pre-covid times) made the case that there isn't even room for replacing the cars with equivalent capacity of buses.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

WarpedNaba posted:

More cars!

Just have your self driving car drive around in circles until it’s needed

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you can expect a well-reasoned rationale for it when he's old enough to drive himself.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

More cars!

parking stresses me out in the cities - south island, i have no idea what the situation is like in the north island but i assume bad?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sphyre posted:

simian brown

the harsh lighting on simeon in cloudy conditions make me think this is a photoshop

which makes sense because i imagine he wouldn't be caught dead at a bus station

or maybe they just messed up the colour balance idk

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

CODChimera posted:

parking stresses me out in the cities - south island, i have no idea what the situation is like in the north island but i assume bad?

I'm also a south islander but the only times I have visited Wellington/Auckland I've stayed at backpackers near the cbds and never driven a car. I don't regret it but Auckland did have some pretty huge intersections which aren't ideal for a pedestrian

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

CODChimera posted:

I haven't found parking in NZ to be that difficult but I've lived in a city before

Once lived in a neighbourhood where the street was strict resident permit parking 24/7 with no grace period. Could be parked out there for five minutes on Christmas morning and still get a ticket. Each household got a couple guest permits that you'd use if you had friends visiting.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Progressive JPEG posted:

the harsh lighting on simeon in cloudy conditions make me think this is a photoshop

which makes sense because i imagine he wouldn't be caught dead at a bus station

or maybe they just messed up the colour balance idk

Yeah I immediately thought it looked photoshopped too. It looks like the sun is behind that bright patch in the cloud while simeon appears lit from somewhere in front of him and off to the side a bit. Plus, as you say, the light isn't diffused enough for cloudy conditions - the shadows on him are way too sharp. They could have had lighting gear on the scene I suppose but my money is on photoshoppery

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I can only imagine living on a street with parking.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

I can only imagine living on a street with parking.

Can you imagine people constantly parking too close to your driveway so you have to almost completely stop in the middle of a busy road and turn 90 degrees on a dime to get in?

e: Or parking on the street yourself only to have your car stolen?

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

sounds bad. they should ban on street parking imo

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Licarn posted:

Just have your self driving car drive around in circles until it’s needed

Better yet, park it in the garage that came with the house that you definitely own once work's done.

CODChimera posted:

Auckland CBD ain't no place for the timid. The suburbs aren't much better, there's enough people parking on the streetcurb in my local that I'm effectively driving on a one-lane road the entire time. Lots of missing side view mirrors.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Can you imagine people constantly parking too close to your driveway so you have to almost completely stop in the middle of a busy road and turn 90 degrees on a dime to get in?

e: Or parking on the street yourself only to have your car stolen?
I can imagine it, yes.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Progressive JPEG posted:

I haven't found parking in NZ to be that difficult but I've lived in a city before

Once lived in a neighbourhood where the street was strict resident permit parking 24/7 with no grace period. Could be parked out there for five minutes on Christmas morning and still get a ticket. Each household got a couple guest permits that you'd use if you had friends visiting.

It is hilarious when you think of the staffing costs and issues to administer that sort of thing. Unless of course it's automated but even then that stuff isn't cheap

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

What sort of council worker would work on a public holiday?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Lol immediate comparison between treating Maori like human beings to Stalinism

mātauranga māori is like dialectical materialism: it's good as hell

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Parking in Newtown was a loving nightmare u less it was after 6pm or before 8 am.

This one guy used to drive down our one way street, park exactly in front of our house and walk across the road to his. When leaving he'd walk across the road and do a u turn and leave. Didn't matter how many car parks were free. I could never understand why he liked "our" park but he hardly ever got it once we moved in.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

quote:

Today's poll saw Labour drop 1 point to 40 percent, while the National Party were up 4 point to 32 percent. Act has dropped three points to 11 percent and support for the Green Party remains unchanged at 9 percent.

Under these numbers, a Labour/Greens government would be possible.

Ardern fell 4 points to 35 percent in the preferred prime minister question, with Christopher Luxon up 13 points to 17 percent, while Act leader David Seymour's numbers fell fell from 11 percent to 6 percent.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

klen dool posted:

Parking in Newtown was a loving nightmare u less it was after 6pm or before 8 am.

This one guy used to drive down our one way street, park exactly in front of our house and walk across the road to his. When leaving he'd walk across the road and do a u turn and leave. Didn't matter how many car parks were free. I could never understand why he liked "our" park but he hardly ever got it once we moved in.

So every day he'd drive the wrong way down a one way street?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

All the media breathlessly rushing to report on nationals "surge" in the polls from unheard of lows to merely catastrophicaly bad numbers.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Lobsterpillar posted:

So every day he'd drive the wrong way down a one way street?

Oh no lol I mistyped. I meant our street was a no-exit. Oops.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's nice to see reporting framing a Green-inclusive government as a possibility rather than a threat.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd have expected more of a swing than that.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bike tory posted:

Today's poll saw Labour drop 1 point to 40 percent, while the National Party were up 4 point to 32 percent. Act has dropped three points to 11 percent and support for the Green Party remains unchanged at 9 percent.

Under these numbers, a Labour/Greens government would be possible.

Ardern fell 4 points to 35 percent in the preferred prime minister question, with Christopher Luxon up 13 points to 17 percent, while Act leader David Seymour's numbers fell fell from 11 percent to 6 percent.

I think the most interesting change in there is the apparently growing proportion of ACT voters that don't like Seymour, with support dropping from 80% (11/14) to 55% (6/11)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Progressive JPEG posted:

I think the most interesting change in there is the apparently growing proportion of ACT voters that don't like Seymour, with support dropping from 80% (11/14) to 55% (6/11)

he just doesn't want to gently caress kids enough for most libertarians

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Progressive JPEG posted:

friendship ended with weird child. now business egg is my best friend

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

he just doesn't want to gently caress kids enough for most libertarians

That we know of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rising cost of living may trigger civil disobedience

quote:

He Korowai Trust provides housing and social services in Kaitāia, and chief executive Ricky Houghton said things have never been so bad for poor people in Northland.

He said the cost of living was out of control, and people would do what they had to do to get by.

"It's on the verge of civil disobedience. [The] people who 'have-not' will be taking what they need - and food is a basic human right - they will be taking from those that 'have'.

"It has to be fixed, the government has to intervene.

"People will be sleeping in their cars [if they can't] pay their rent. But if they can't afford to get petrol for their cars, they'll be sleeping in tents and cow sheds and buses and lean-tos, and they won't be eating."
The latest food price figures show their biggest jump in a decade - up 4.5 percent in December 2021 compared with the same time in 2020.

Tomato prices doubled, and dairy, eggs, fruit and vegetables are also up.

Wellington City Missioner Murray Edridge said for those already living close to the edge, these cost increases could be catastrophic.

"When the staples, when dairy products - milk and cheese - become unaffordable, when you don't have the ability to buy cleaning products, personal hygiene products, then those things become real game changers for people's wellbeing."

Meanwhile, ANZ Bank is forecasting the Official Cash Rate to be lifted to 3 percent by April next year - the highest since 2015.

While in December the national average asking price for a property jumped by a quarter year-on-year to reach a new high of $956,150 and reached an all-time high in every region except Southland.

Annual inflation is expected to rise to its highest level in three decades, driven by rising fuel and housing costs, and a tight labour market.

Stats NZ will release the latest inflation figures on Thursday.

RNZ visited a local supermarket in the demographically diverse southern Wellington suburb of Newtown.

Cheese was by far the standout item cost wise, a standard 1kg block of Edam cost $15.50 - on special for $12, while Tasty was $18.

Butter was between $6 and $7, though a house brand on special was $1 cheaper.

One kilogram of tomatoes was $7.49, while cherry cost $5 for just a quarter of a kilogram.

Two litres of Anchor blue milk cost $4.90, but there is a value brand for $3.84.

RNZ spoke to multiple Wellingtonians who described the fuel price as "crazy" and "ridiculous".

One suggested the government should open its own supermarket chain in a bid to bring costs down.

So I was wrong about the cheese, an hour of minimum wage labour will only buy you one block.

Keep telling me how the government has things well in hand and how mild omicron will be.