Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
https://twitter.com/CortyNC/status/1540431504672985089

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Progressive JPEG posted:

The shades are whats standardised in other markets, it's very explicitly to block imports of standard commodity products without giving fletchers a cut

Oh lol i didn't know those colours were standard in other countries

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Slavvy posted:

Why is everything so loving stupid

Turns out greed isn't a great principle with which to structure your society.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

bike tory posted:

There were several other practices that contributed to the leaky building problems, but the older buildings with direct fixed cladding had other "features" that allowed airflow to address the issue of moisture build up. The tradeoff is poor thermal efficiency because the place isn't well sealed. Modern homes are pretty well sealed so the cavity is necessary.

I mean it is possible for direct fixed cladding to allow for airflow without it getting into the building, and not allowing moisture to build up, rotting out the framing or back of the cladding. Direct fixed cladding is still a thing and allows for perfectly decent thermal efficient homes. But I believe literally every house should just be clad with vertical profile corrugated steel cladding, since all the fibre-cement poo poo from james hardie etc is obviously garbage with gently caress all actual durability.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Slavvy posted:

If I were a state I would simply not do capitalism

that's not in the toolbox

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/ponekepono/status/1540500501321912321?s=20&t=oKhM1nziKyGMO7i9n_db5A

This is what liberals actually believe

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Jesus gently caress how many labour members voted against this legislation?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lol in what way is a tweet on her personal twitter a "statement in her capacity of foreign minister"

real john key "well i wasn't wearing my prime minister hat at that time" energy

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

klen dool posted:

Jesus gently caress how many labour members voted against this legislation?

Anahila Kanongata'a-Suisuiki
Nanaia Mahuta
Damien O'Connor
Greg O'Connor
Adrian Rurawhe
Jenny Salesa
Jamie Strange
Rino Tirikatene
Meka Whaitiri

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah worth remembering the abortion legalisation in NZ had a bunch of carve outs that mean that, among other things, some DHBs still dont offer abortion past 20 weeks. And even then it only passed by 7 votes.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
The building consent Gib headache is interesting to me because I lodge a fair few building consents at work, but for the civil side which is nowhere near as stringent about brand as the actual house component. Plasterboard and bracing must differ a lot from brand to brand (so it sounds, anyway) but nobody is asking me to change my design specifically to say these manholes and catchpits must be Hynds brand or whatever.

On the other hand, Fletcher loving everything up is also in line with my experience. Everyone outside of their land dev team is worse than useless.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Personally I think we need to focus on the real scandal of the moment: the Earnest Adams slices have been discontinued.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/food/22-06-2022/rip-ernest-adams-the-nations-slice

Incredibly hosed up imo.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Can Pauline Dicker be the interviewee in every article from now on

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

quote:

“I’m of a generation that worked really hard to avoid having to do that sort of thing. I’m in my early 60s, we grew up after the feminists with the ‘girls can choose to do anything’ thing. And that’s one of the choices I’ve made: to not be a baker.”

She said, while being interviewed about making her husbands lunch every day for 20 years.

quote:

She shudders as she recounts recently buying Countdown bakery muffins and banana bread. “It doesn’t last well in the tin, it goes off within a couple of days and it also doesn’t freeze well. But the Ernest Adams fruit loaf, well, that would last in your tin for weeks.”

Tin? Freezer? Bet she's been taking the credit this whole time too! Old mate probably asked one day "Dear, what happened to that lovely slice you used to make and stick in me smoko tin every day?".

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Can Pauline Dicker be the interviewee in every article from now on

I'd put $50 on Pauline having opinions about Māori and water.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bike tory posted:

Personally I think we need to focus on the real scandal of the moment: the Earnest Adams slices have been discontinued.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/food/22-06-2022/rip-ernest-adams-the-nations-slice

Incredibly hosed up imo.

Don't think I've ever had one.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

She didn't just vote against the bill either. She supported all of the bonkers amendments that would have made abortion more difficult/illegal than it was.
That includes Ngaro's abortion investigation squad, Ngaro/Hipango's family member veto, and Loheni's amendment to make it illegal to abort a viable fetus even if the women's life is in danger.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

Interesting admission given there used to be a plate of raspberry slice available at every neighborhood Patriotic Real Kiwi meeting :crossarms:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

edogawa rando posted:

Can't believe you're a teacher who's never come across some Ernest Adams slice at a morning tea some time.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

edogawa rando posted:

hosed up if true

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Luceid posted:

The building consent Gib headache is interesting to me because I lodge a fair few building consents at work, but for the civil side which is nowhere near as stringent about brand as the actual house component. Plasterboard and bracing must differ a lot from brand to brand (so it sounds, anyway) but nobody is asking me to change my design specifically to say these manholes and catchpits must be Hynds brand or whatever.

or wiring, or plumbing, etc - things that would matter much more if they went wrong

The difference is that the other manufacturers haven't offered positions to the right people at MBIE yet

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Plasterboard as a structural component to resist lateral loads is both cheap and efficient. It's just a shame one company has a monopoly over it

There is a standard test used to determine the capacity of a sheet of plasterboard/ply/msf/fiber cement and any of these can be used for bracing, why no one has done this for other brands of plasterboard I don't know.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:iiam:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I'd only heard of that being done with plywood sheeting, meanwhile structural plasterboard is just hilarious

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Did fletchers ever get codemark approval for the structural qualities of six60 concert posters nailed to the wall?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

That video where adam driver punches a wall, except the plasterboard is structural and the house collapses

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ned Flanders' new house with a structural itchy and scratchy poster

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Can't believe you're a teacher who's never come across some Ernest Adams slice at a morning tea some time.

I suspect they've appeared at some morning teas, but I've never had them. :shrug:

I guess now I never will.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
People in the thread disparaging plasterboard as a structural element, please provide some more information as to why the idea is ridiculous.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

klen dool posted:

People in the thread disparaging plasterboard as a structural element, please provide some more information as to why the idea is ridiculous.

I have no actual expertise but I cannot erase the phrase “load bearing drywall” from my brain.

edogawa rando posted:

I never particularly liked them. Very sweet and stodgy, often featuring that slightly artificial tasting fruit goo that comes in 20L buckets.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah I think it's mostly goons who have had the phrase "load bearing drywall" living rent free in their heads for 16 years now.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Yeah fair enough, load bearing drywall is funny as a concept since it won't bear a load even if it does provide bracing

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

bike tory posted:

Yeah I think it's mostly goons who have had the phrase "load bearing drywall" living rent free in their heads for 16 years now.

That and no matter how often you try and explain, you can't get people to grasp that the Braceline stuff is a different product to basic plasterboard. It's stronger and heavier, glass fibre reinforced and is attached with specific fastening schedules and possibly altered stud layouts when you use their metal angle fixings. It's a whole system, and it's really strong in the directions it's being asked to work in.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I'm just picturing someone wanting to add a powerpoint or something and not realising that whoops actually that plasterboard is structural

Or maybe they just have a party and adam driver is there

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

BuckyDoneGun posted:

That and no matter how often you try and explain, you can't get people to grasp that the Braceline stuff is a different product to basic plasterboard. It's stronger and heavier, glass fibre reinforced and is attached with specific fastening schedules and possibly altered stud layouts when you use their metal angle fixings. It's a whole system, and it's really strong in the directions it's being asked to work in.

thanks mr fletcher

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I was talking to a guy who found some spooky old haunted gib in a barn and managed to immediately flip it for $5000 to a desperate tradie.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Nobody:

Literally not a soul in the world:

Sir Ray Avery:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

lol at him getting progressively drunker as he typed this.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

classic "i apologise for your feelings" followed by "asking for consent makes it creepier".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:wow: