Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

EQ came out in 1999 and Morrowind came out in 2002 but single player games have advanced game play wise since then so you're not going to get younger people to play what is basically the same base game as EQ but better graphics.

There isn't going to be a new, successful, MMO until another generation of internet infrastructure and a game that can take advantage of that in order to offer a game that has game play on par with current games, but with hundreds of people on screen.

The one thing that makes me interested in solutions like Google's Stadia is the prospect of large-scale battles between hundreds or thousands of people. MMOs may be kind of deadish right now, but massive multiplayer is one of the areas where Stadia and co. could really shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
tbh massive battles are something that sounds fun on paper but are boring AF in reality. "Oh look I got selected as primary and got deleted within a picto second as 30+ casters cast their basic attack spell on me. Guess I'll wait to respawn."

Orv
May 4, 2011
The sad irony is that I can vouch that the engine CU spent six years building does in fact do that, at least on a graphical level. It does not do anything else though! :shepface:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

There isn't going to be a new, successful, MMO until another generation of internet infrastructure and a game that can take advantage of that in order to offer a game that has game play on par with current games, but with hundreds of people on screen.

As someone who has been working in the cloud space and trying to educate developers on cloud native design... the technology exists and is extremely available and economical, but it will be another 10 years probably before people stop producing legacy workloads out of habit.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

soy posted:

As someone who has been working in the cloud space and trying to educate developers on cloud native design... the technology exists and is extremely available and economical, but it will be another 10 years probably before people stop producing legacy workloads out of habit.

I'm curious about this because I don't understand computers or internet systems or anything, but like, would a truly high-fidelity thing with like the gameplay and latency of, say, a contemporary COD actually be viable with like 500+ people on screen?

an actual MMOFPS of the WWIIonline variety but with actual battles is one of my most perennial nerd fantasies but I always thought it was basically inconceivable

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Not sure how anyone gets around the exponential networking problem of having more people in one area in an MMO. That's always been the sticking point from my understanding. Probably some smart people out there with a solution that I've never heard.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frog Act posted:

I'm curious about this because I don't understand computers or internet systems or anything, but like, would a truly high-fidelity thing with like the gameplay and latency of, say, a contemporary COD actually be viable with like 500+ people on screen?

an actual MMOFPS of the WWIIonline variety but with actual battles is one of my most perennial nerd fantasies but I always thought it was basically inconceivable

Yes absolutely it’s possible but it would require game developers to actually make their own engine or at least be competent enough to optimize netcode on unreal or unity which none of them are because only idiots work in gaming since it pays poo poo and if you’re that good at coding you can get an easy job making a ton doing boring business stuff.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

soy posted:

Fellow cloud space engineer here - You're absolutely right, but I think the bottleneck would be scaling up/out network infrastructure to support player counts as opposed to server infrastructure.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Isn't it also the unpredictability of our network infrastructure and the sheer size of the US? So even if you do a datacenter in Dallas you have to make sure someone in Houston on gigabit fiber has a good connection but you also have to make sure someone in Bumfuck Alabama on janky cable has similar results.

I just worked on MMOs for a long time and I remember constantly having an issue of "Something that plays fine on our internal network or even on a server we're using for testing shits the bed when people from all over the country on a bunch of different connections" constantly.

I guess see also Stadia's launch.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Marc Jacobs is talking a big game for a January update, using words like "actually a game" and "fun". Can they do it? At least we will find out fairly soon.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

I really hope they dumpster the million health bars for all your body parts idea which is the dumbest and ugliest UI I’ve seen in an mmo.

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

Hy_C posted:

I really hope they dumpster the million health bars for all your body parts idea which is the dumbest and ugliest UI I’ve seen in an mmo.

They removed that and scrapped the body part system about a year ago

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I do understand they want to completely change the whole mmorpg thing, but am I wrong if I say that -most- people who pledged mainly want a 2012....err i mean 2020 update of DaoC with decent graphics and gameplay, with some world/castle building, with the whole game foremost centered on RvRvR.

When I pledged for the kickstarter I just started dating.... now I think my children I have with her will be old enough to play on release...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah it's the same problem that Pantheon: Terrible Name has. They get bogged down in feature creep bullshit when people just want DAOC 1.5 or EQ 1.5

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Pvp games seem to get bogged down in feature development when really all you need is an asskickin combat system and a reason for people to throw themselves at each other. Why we cant start here and then build features I'll never know.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Some people don't even need a "reason" to throw themselves at each other.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Evernoob posted:

Some people don't even need a "reason" to throw themselves at each other.

Eg. Rust.

Remit
Nov 9, 2007
95 days have passed since I submitted my refund request. No response to the email I sent at day 90, so emailed them again.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I wrote off my investment years ago.
At this time I think the only one working on the project is the one writing the newsletters. If that's the case he deserves a raise

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I logged in for a test last week and the combat still feels pre-DAOC so...

Remit
Nov 9, 2007

Remit posted:

95 days have passed since I submitted my refund request. No response to the email I sent at day 90, so emailed them again.

Scratch that, refund received. I certainly hope they are able to sell this engine to some MMOFPS in the year 2008.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

At this point I await the next Korean mmo for a dopamine hit

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

whelp, I think we just got Diablo Immortaled

https://massivelyop.com/2020/01/31/interview-camelot-unchaineds-mark-jacobs-just-announced-a-new-game-called-colossus/

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Thats what theyve been working on for the past six months? So whats the word to describe when feature creep becomes so bad that it leads to the creation of a whole new game?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Goddamnit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Didn't a hugely successful kickstarter do something like this.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
This is the most amazing making GBS threads it off a Kickstarter MVP I have seen in a while

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Seems like a good idea for creating a cash injection, using assets to make another game, though they probably shouldn't have a release date for camelot unchained if they are just going to keep pushing it back.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Remembering Dawn, the 1999 kickstarter that was a scam that created Dusk, a rts that was gonna create a cash injection for Dawn. Also a scam.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's hard to care when so many other kickstarted MMOs either didn't make it or were stillborn on release. It's just expected now.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I'm not even sure I'm still interested in playing the game we were once promised.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Seems like a good idea for creating a cash injection, using assets to make another game, though they probably shouldn't have a release date for camelot unchained if they are just going to keep pushing it back.

Once you start using terms like "cash injection" rather than "trash looking side project on a game that itself is already 7-9 years behind schedule" I begin to worry that you're drinking the kool-aid or even helping stir it

I watched maybe twenty minutes of the orcs must die game with no traps or strategy, an overwatch style HUD made in MS Paint and the CEO of the company spamming left click as the main playstyle before closing it, laughing and being glad I refunded

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Cash injection from what? Who wants to play this thing? People outside of this bubble barely even know what CU is, let alone some spinoff.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm mostly reading the thread for a mix of nostalgia of the old game's sake and the comedy of a tech demo being delayed forever and barely have any intention to actually buy the thing, I have no idea what colossus is supposed to play like and just assume it's probably going to be cheap garbage and if it is it doesn't bode well for camelot.

Cash injection was just the most optimistic take on that, since after all these years they probably wasted a lot of their cash.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
capital is always looking for the next best thing to throw money at since they have a lack of areas to put said money

an old project, not good
new project? Hell yah buddy

investors be dumb as hell

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Anyone that's been involved with or played any of Mark Jacob's games knows he's just a grifter.

This is not surprising.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Wasn't Jacobs out insisting he wasn't going to sell Mythic ever and then a couple days later, EA announced the acquisition?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I’m still waiting for Imperator Online.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Wasn't Jacobs out insisting he wasn't going to sell Mythic ever and then a couple days later, EA announced the acquisition?

Something to that effect, I think it was during something about Warhammer Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I think it's funny that it's a legitimate question to ask "Which July is the thread title referring to?"