Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
A man looked at the usual trajectory of a pvp only game and thought 'why don't I do this but minecraft'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Orv posted:

The usual trajectory of a (modern) PvP only MMO is typically because everyone is still obsessed with the idea of risk and loss in a PvP environment. DAoC sidestepped this and was successful, at least for the time and before they hosed it up, and hopefully CU does the same. Asking for a sub for it is something I'm still iffy on when the game was Kickstarted in 2012 and will be entering a non-24/7 beta this year.

Like to an extent taking away full loot will help but DAoC worked because it had pve end game content as well. Hoping consequenceless pvp as the endgame seems like a doomed to failure proposition in a post pubg/moba world.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I thought guild wars 1 taught everyone why gating dungeons behind pvp supremacy was a terrible idea

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The glaring problem is that by a beta the base gameplay should be close to finalised. If the combat is still an unrecognisable mess thats a huge problem. Have a look at what got done when with overwatch, the gunplay was finalised before they had a single map anything more than roughly sketched out.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Bumbler posted:

The July 4th beta has been delayed. They said it will be a few days to a week.

Also they streamed some footage from the ongoing Alpha test today, so we have more up-to-date gameplay footage:
https://clips.twitch.tv/CovertRelentlessBibimbapThunBeast

It looks like a unity clone of guild wars 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORMc_tTVaUU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Will there be a point that this isn't a wonky rehash of guild wars 2 wvwvw?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Evernoob posted:

I still don't understand why we are still using "levels" in a PvP game.
Make progress unlock extra abilities, boons&banes, and other shenanigans... but I don't see the point of levels anymore.

I don't understand why anyone would want a pvp mmo anyway. Surely a mmo style combat game but with a lobby system like dota or overwatch will happen?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

mmo combat sucks why would anyone play that.

The answer is within your grasp

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

PriNGLeS posted:

It did... it was called... something... gently caress. It shut down pretty quick, one of the first mmos to actually shut down.

It might have even been pre-WoW. I'm not sure though.

Fear.... Rage.... something like that.

It was called Fury and there was a big drama at the time because gamestop was still selling it after the servers had shut down

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

PriNGLeS posted:

Yep, that was it. My buddy at the time had such a hard on for it. It was okay. That was the start of him only liking really bad MMOs. See: Earthfall.

it wass the most mystifying poo poo ever because guild wars already existed and filled the niche

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Orv posted:

Which never paid out or maybe even happened because the game died in like a month, yeah.

Thankfully people stopped announcing million dollar tournaments before the game launched and cratered.... valve did what?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Evernoob posted:

I guess one of the best game (franchises) to come out of a Kickstarter must be Divinity : Original Sin. that game delivered (and beyond) what was expected from it.

DAoC free to play? ... is that with all the current content and expansions or will they also launch a "classic" version? Or at least open new fresh servers.

Harebrained Schemes have managed to deliver on their kickstarters successfully multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
This is the most amazing making GBS threads it off a Kickstarter MVP I have seen in a while