Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

quote:

DOMINION 6.9 in OSAKA-JO HALL
June 9th at 3:00 EDT/8:00

]IWGP Jr Tag Championship: Suzuki-gun(c) (El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru) vs. Roppongi 3K
Juice Robinson and David Finlay vs. CHAOS (Jay White and YOSHI-HASHI)
CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki and Zack Sabre Jr.)
NEVER Openweight Championship 3 Way: Hirooki Goto(c) vs. Michael Elgin vs. Taichi
IWGP Tag Championship: L.I.J(c) (EVIL and SANADA) vs. Young Bucks
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Rey Mysterio Jr., and Jushin Liger vs. Bullet Club (Cody, Hangman Page, and Marty Scurll)
IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship: Will Ospreay(c) vs. Hiromu Takahashi
IWGP IC Championship: Tetsuya Naito(c) vs. Chris Jericho
IWGP Heavyweight Championship Best out of 3 Falls No Time Limit Match: Kazuchika Okada(c) vs. Kenny Omega

Jesus Christ, this card is stacked to the gills! Watch it! Watch it on NJPW World god dammit! And get caught up on things like Liger and Tanahashi flexing and the press conference on the English language youtube channel, god dammit! And follow Chris Charlton during the event because he translates stuff, god dammit!

MJeff fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

go taichi

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last year's main event was the best wrestling match I have ever seen, so if this one isn't quite as good I'm not gonna be disappointed, but if it is just as good or somehow even better... :vince:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

this is gonna be gooooooooood

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i am hard.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
More context for the show!

Time: 12:00am PST/3:00am EST/4:00pm JST
Link: https://njpwworld.com/

New Japan's traditional second biggest show of the year takes place from a sold out Osaka Jo Hall. Over the past several years, Dominion has gained a reputation for being, if not the best in-ring show of the year, among the very best. It's a key show that sets the table for G1 and Wrestle Kingdom the following year. This event is no different - top to bottom, this is an exceptionally strong show, anchored by a double main event with real stakes, both on a creative level and a business level.

The Card

Double Main Event 1
IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Kazuchika Okada(c) vs. Kenny Omega

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTSKzT5FfVE

The Story: This match feels like a moment. The best in-ring rivalry of this generation gets its next chapter and is a genuine rubber match. Okada and Omega are 1-1-1, and to settle the score will meet in a 2 out of 3 falls, no time limit match. Kenny has been training like a madman, acknowledging that while Okada is the better wrestler, he has more stamina and has prepared like there is no tomorrow. Okada, on the other hand, has been fishing and eating, taking the match in stride and speaking confidently that this will be just another successful defense.

But it's the metastory here that is truly fascinating. Does New Japan finally pull the trigger and belt Omega, ushering in a new era of focused international expansion? Do they stand pat on what has been a winning hand in Okada's reign? Can these two pull off another classic despite the difficult stipulations and all the pressure of living up to their past bouts? And after the dust settles, who can challenge next?

Prediction: A real toss up to me. I'm sticking with Okada and rooting for Kenny.

Double Main Event 2
IWGP Intercontinental Championship: Tetsuya Naito(c) vs Chris Jericho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyPnPThZHO4

The Story: After suffering a loss against Omega at Wrestle Kingdom, Jericho surprised (well, sort of) everyone by showing up at New Years Dash and attacking Naito. Fast forward to Wrestling Dontaku, and Jericho again showed up to beat the hell out of Naito. It's Chris Jericho in New Japan, so there's been a lot of blood and swearing, and it's been awesome. Naito, for his part, has dismissed Jericho as a superstar and remained tranquillo through all of this. A Jericho win virtually guarantees he will have more matches in New Japan, and if that's the case, it's a win for everyone.

Prediction: Jericho is in for at least two more matches and takes this one.

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship: Will Ospreay(c) vs Hiromu Takahashi

The Story: Takahashi, the 2018 winner of the Best of Super Juniors, is coming off a legit MOTYC with Bone Soldier and coming into his own as one of the best workers in the world. Ospreay is having a tremendous stretch in his own right and is a current frontrunner for most outstanding wrestler of the year. These two met before earlier this year, with Ospreay getting the win, so there is a subtle revenge angle at play here as well. The work of both men has elevated the junior title to its most important point in a long time. Also, Ospreay is a cat and Hiromu wants to eat him.

Prediction: Takahashi has a ton of momentum right now and feels like a good time for a change.

Special Six Man Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Jushin Thunder Liger and Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Bullet Club (Cody, Hangman Page and Marty Scurll)

The Story: Rey finally makes his NJPW debut after being sidelined with an injury that kept him out of Strong Style Evolved in Long Beach. During the final day of BotSJ, Liger and Tanahashi combined to fend off Scurll and challenged Bullet Club to a six man with their partner from the 619. The pairing off here will be something to watch for, as it could have implications for the Cow Palace show.

Prediction: I think Bullet Club wins with Cody pinning Tana or Scurll pinning Liger to set something up for Cow Palace.

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship: Evil and Sanada(c) vs The Young Bucks

The Story: After years of begging New Japan to let them compete in the heavyweight division, the Bucks finally get a chance to step up and challenge for the titles straight away. Evil and Sanada have been champs for a while, but due to Evil's injury haven't defended much and the reign hasn't felt long. The company could belt the Bucks or could go the more traditional route and do a slow build. Regardless, this being the Buck's first major match in the heavyweight division and a career milestone probably means they will be motivated to go all out

Prediction: Evil and Sanada. Too soon for the Bucks.

NEVER Openweight Championship: Hirooki Goto (c) vs. Michael Elgin vs. Taichi

The Story: Goto is Goto and Elgin is Elgin. We live in a world where most of us are pulling for Taichi.

Prediction: Tough to say. Taichi as a champion would be different. Elgin, if he's set up for a longer tenure, makes the most sense to me.

Special Tag Match: Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano vs. Minoru Suzuki and Zack Sabre Jr.

The Story: Ishii and Suzuki have been going at it in multi-mans for a little while now and could be starting to heat up a rivalry. ZSJ makes his return to NJPW after winning the New Japan Cup and losing to Okada in a great run. Yano is there probably to take the fall. Should be fun because Suzuki and ZSJ as a team are really entertaining.

Prediction: ZSJ taps Yano.

[b]Special Tag Match: Juice Robinson and David Finlay vs Jay White and Yoshi-Hashi

The Story: Not much to this one. This match exists to heat up Juice vs Switchblade, which could be a title match at Cow Palace. Juice and White have been going at it in promos and have done good work building their own feud, which will hopefully get more fleshed out here.

Prediction: White pins Finlay.

[b]IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Championship: El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru(c) vs Roppongi 3K (Sho and Yoh)

The Story: Sho and Yo are back to challenging for the titles after they each had strong runs in BotSJ. El Desperado also had a nice tournament. Kanemaru... is good! These two teams are probably destined to wrestle a bunch more times.

Prediction: Feels like there's been a lot of hot potato with these belts, but Sho and Yoh are the new standard-bearers for the division so it makes the most sense to me to put the belts back on them and either keep the program going or build up new challengers.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 9, 2018

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Post your OP in this thread, unless you've deleted it. I won't think you were lying if you did delete it and can't post it. I bet it was good

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cavauro posted:

Post your OP in this thread, unless you've deleted it. I won't think you were lying if you did delete it and can't post it. I bet it was good

I will.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
imo everybody should post their prospective Dominion 6.9 in Osaka-Jo Hall OPs to kill time between now and Dominion 6.9 in Osaka-Jo Hall.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

nice

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

IWGP Jr Tag Championship: Suzuki-gun(c) (El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru) vs. Roppongi 3K
Juice Robinson and David Finlay vs. CHAOS (Jay White and YOSHI-HASHI)
CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki and Zack Sabre Jr.)
NEVER Openweight Championship 3 Way: Hirooki Goto(c) vs. Michael Elgin vs. Taichi
IWGP Tag Championship: L.I.J(c) (EVIL and SANADA) vs. Young Bucks
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Rey Mysterio Jr., and Jushin Liger vs. Bullet Club (Cody, Hangman Page, and Marty Scurll)
IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship: Will Ospreay(c) vs. Hiromu Takahashi
IWGP IC Championship: Tetsuya Naito(c) vs. Chris Jericho
IWGP Heavyweight Championship Best out of 3 Falls No Time Limit Match: Kazuchika Okada(c) vs. Kenny Omega

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

VJeff posted:

imo everybody should post their prospective Dominion 6.9 in Osaka-Jo Hall OPs to kill time between now and Dominion 6.9 in Osaka-Jo Hall.

Kill time by watching CMLL silly https://www.facebook.com/marcaclaro/videos/1808561932531326/

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

cmll has been fun lately

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Sitting on the train to Osaka-jō Hall.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

cmll has been fun lately

I was bummed Soberano didn't get a slot in BoSJ

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Baron Corbyn posted:

Sitting on the train to Osaka-jō Hall.

buy me a ytr shirt

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Kenny is winning.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Kenny is winning.

no he's not!!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I booked CMLL and I booked this match, Okada does something kind of heelish to hurt Kenny and win a quick fall, Kenny has to show fighting spirit to survive and scrape out a 2nd fall, then they throw bombs for the third fall. Weird how this post will be edited at 8 AM tomorrow morning.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

buy me a ytr shirt

I already need to buy the new Hiromu and Kenny shirts

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Watching the press conference and Kenny just said this event would go down in the anals of history.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Watching the press conference and Kenny just said this event would go down in the anals of history.

Golden Lovers live sex celebration?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

super psyched for dominion to make me forget about the hellscape that is ontario politik

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

Weird how this post will be edited at 8 AM tomorrow morning.

I'm certainly not going to edit my post about how it takes 90 minutes before they get the first fall :hellyeah:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Do not even ask posted:

super psyched for dominion to make me forget about the hellscape that is ontario politik

:smithicide: :respek:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hyped

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
There’s no way they put both the IC and heavyweight titles on white guys at the same time so I think Kenny wins and Jericho doesn’t

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Do not even ask posted:

I'm still debating whether this is more or less embarrassing than Trump. And we'll have Kenney in Alberta in a year too. :smith:

checksin posted:

There’s no way they put both the IC and heavyweight titles on white guys at the same time so I think Kenny wins and Jericho doesn’t

It would be a hell of a day for Winnipeg!

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 9, 2018

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’m queueing for my ticket

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Update: I was actually in a merch queue. My ticket was really easy to get in the end

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MassRafTer posted:

I booked CMLL

How's Kawato doing? Also send Dragon Lee to Japan more thx.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm going to try and get some sleep, decided to try and tune in around 45 min in the show. HYPE

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

checksin posted:

I feel like, as a part of the New Japan roster, Kenny barely counts as a gaijin at this point.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VJeff posted:

How's Kawato doing? Also send Dragon Lee to Japan more thx.

Not that great and no.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

Update: I was actually in a merch queue. My ticket was really easy to get in the end

How long were you in that queue? Because it's loving insane. Like they're going right down past the river. Still thinking of joining it once I get something to eat though. I'm the one white guy (or maybe just the one guy) wearing a Taichi shirt.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

take pictures of the venue and lesser seen things that someone who is not there live would find neat

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

also beer and food prices.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

One of the neatest things for me has just been seeing all these people wearing NJPW shirts. Like if I stop looking at my phone right now, I can see a Shibata, Jericho, Bullet Club and too many LIJ shirts to count but I'm not gonna take a photo of random people. I think that's really taboo in Japan too

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

also beer and food prices.

especially the beer prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!
I haven’t watched NJPW since Wrestle Kingdom. Will this show start with one of the matches as a pre-show and then a break, or will it be nonstop?

• Locked thread