Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
More context for the show!

Time: 12:00am PST/3:00am EST/4:00pm JST
Link: https://njpwworld.com/

New Japan's traditional second biggest show of the year takes place from a sold out Osaka Jo Hall. Over the past several years, Dominion has gained a reputation for being, if not the best in-ring show of the year, among the very best. It's a key show that sets the table for G1 and Wrestle Kingdom the following year. This event is no different - top to bottom, this is an exceptionally strong show, anchored by a double main event with real stakes, both on a creative level and a business level.

The Card

Double Main Event 1
IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Kazuchika Okada(c) vs. Kenny Omega

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTSKzT5FfVE

The Story: This match feels like a moment. The best in-ring rivalry of this generation gets its next chapter and is a genuine rubber match. Okada and Omega are 1-1-1, and to settle the score will meet in a 2 out of 3 falls, no time limit match. Kenny has been training like a madman, acknowledging that while Okada is the better wrestler, he has more stamina and has prepared like there is no tomorrow. Okada, on the other hand, has been fishing and eating, taking the match in stride and speaking confidently that this will be just another successful defense.

But it's the metastory here that is truly fascinating. Does New Japan finally pull the trigger and belt Omega, ushering in a new era of focused international expansion? Do they stand pat on what has been a winning hand in Okada's reign? Can these two pull off another classic despite the difficult stipulations and all the pressure of living up to their past bouts? And after the dust settles, who can challenge next?

Prediction: A real toss up to me. I'm sticking with Okada and rooting for Kenny.

Double Main Event 2
IWGP Intercontinental Championship: Tetsuya Naito(c) vs Chris Jericho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyPnPThZHO4

The Story: After suffering a loss against Omega at Wrestle Kingdom, Jericho surprised (well, sort of) everyone by showing up at New Years Dash and attacking Naito. Fast forward to Wrestling Dontaku, and Jericho again showed up to beat the hell out of Naito. It's Chris Jericho in New Japan, so there's been a lot of blood and swearing, and it's been awesome. Naito, for his part, has dismissed Jericho as a superstar and remained tranquillo through all of this. A Jericho win virtually guarantees he will have more matches in New Japan, and if that's the case, it's a win for everyone.

Prediction: Jericho is in for at least two more matches and takes this one.

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship: Will Ospreay(c) vs Hiromu Takahashi

The Story: Takahashi, the 2018 winner of the Best of Super Juniors, is coming off a legit MOTYC with Bone Soldier and coming into his own as one of the best workers in the world. Ospreay is having a tremendous stretch in his own right and is a current frontrunner for most outstanding wrestler of the year. These two met before earlier this year, with Ospreay getting the win, so there is a subtle revenge angle at play here as well. The work of both men has elevated the junior title to its most important point in a long time. Also, Ospreay is a cat and Hiromu wants to eat him.

Prediction: Takahashi has a ton of momentum right now and feels like a good time for a change.

Special Six Man Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Jushin Thunder Liger and Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Bullet Club (Cody, Hangman Page and Marty Scurll)

The Story: Rey finally makes his NJPW debut after being sidelined with an injury that kept him out of Strong Style Evolved in Long Beach. During the final day of BotSJ, Liger and Tanahashi combined to fend off Scurll and challenged Bullet Club to a six man with their partner from the 619. The pairing off here will be something to watch for, as it could have implications for the Cow Palace show.

Prediction: I think Bullet Club wins with Cody pinning Tana or Scurll pinning Liger to set something up for Cow Palace.

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship: Evil and Sanada(c) vs The Young Bucks

The Story: After years of begging New Japan to let them compete in the heavyweight division, the Bucks finally get a chance to step up and challenge for the titles straight away. Evil and Sanada have been champs for a while, but due to Evil's injury haven't defended much and the reign hasn't felt long. The company could belt the Bucks or could go the more traditional route and do a slow build. Regardless, this being the Buck's first major match in the heavyweight division and a career milestone probably means they will be motivated to go all out

Prediction: Evil and Sanada. Too soon for the Bucks.

NEVER Openweight Championship: Hirooki Goto (c) vs. Michael Elgin vs. Taichi

The Story: Goto is Goto and Elgin is Elgin. We live in a world where most of us are pulling for Taichi.

Prediction: Tough to say. Taichi as a champion would be different. Elgin, if he's set up for a longer tenure, makes the most sense to me.

Special Tag Match: Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano vs. Minoru Suzuki and Zack Sabre Jr.

The Story: Ishii and Suzuki have been going at it in multi-mans for a little while now and could be starting to heat up a rivalry. ZSJ makes his return to NJPW after winning the New Japan Cup and losing to Okada in a great run. Yano is there probably to take the fall. Should be fun because Suzuki and ZSJ as a team are really entertaining.

Prediction: ZSJ taps Yano.

[b]Special Tag Match: Juice Robinson and David Finlay vs Jay White and Yoshi-Hashi

The Story: Not much to this one. This match exists to heat up Juice vs Switchblade, which could be a title match at Cow Palace. Juice and White have been going at it in promos and have done good work building their own feud, which will hopefully get more fleshed out here.

Prediction: White pins Finlay.

[b]IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Championship: El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru(c) vs Roppongi 3K (Sho and Yoh)

The Story: Sho and Yo are back to challenging for the titles after they each had strong runs in BotSJ. El Desperado also had a nice tournament. Kanemaru... is good! These two teams are probably destined to wrestle a bunch more times.

Prediction: Feels like there's been a lot of hot potato with these belts, but Sho and Yoh are the new standard-bearers for the division so it makes the most sense to me to put the belts back on them and either keep the program going or build up new challengers.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
brothers I haven't posted but this show is cool and this match is dope and I'm real happy.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Un. loving. real.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Just ridiculous. God bless

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Time for some blood boys

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
STINK, YOUR WRONK

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Hahahaha gently caress you Naito. This is great already

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
That eye is nasty

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Osaka is just the best for booing Naito

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Holy poo poo. This has been great, but Naito is paying the price.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
This is so loving awesome

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
So that was a legit ****+ match by the way.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Well folks, it's time. Most important match of the year right here right here

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
LETS loving GO

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Kenny 100% has the crowd already.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
oh my god its finally time. Strap in here we go

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Kenny looks in tremendous shape and is doing some transitions with a level of smoothness he's never done. Dude has been training his rear end off.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
That was sick and thankful for replay because made it clear it was a clean move.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Kenny is a friggin madman jesus

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
This is an unbelievable pace

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
OH MY GOD

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Two minute break, nice touch. Get some water guys

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Whats the time? 40 mins?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
...oh my god here we go

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
We have achieved fan crying

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
RAINMAKER INEFFECTIVE

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
THIS loving poo poo WHAT

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Greatest match of all time. Full stop.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Welp there it was, the best match and moment in wrestling I'm going to get this generation. Just no question in my mind where this stands. And glad everyone seems OK and Golden Elite confirmed.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I was really, really hoping we would get this picture

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfQsPLnW0AAazmB.jpg:large

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Does anyone have a translation for the Japanese pbp at the end of the match? I'm having trouble with the references to Okada and IWGP. Rest is easy ("it's a new champion!" etc)

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Akiyama in the G1 would be real drat cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Presser is going on. Matches for G1 Special:

Young Bucks vs Evil/Sanada
Jay White vs Juice
Okada/Ospreay vs Naito/Bushi
Kenny vs Cody

• Locked thread