Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

This'll be an interesting experiment in collaboration and time management for me. Working with an old friend who just got into gamedev, and neither of us have much experience with collaborative projects.

Though it's been difficult having no burdens on my schedule last week and this one but expecting to be incredibly busy come July.

Just staring at my components and suppressing the urge to burn my gamedev energy early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CYBEReris posted:

Godot has a whole node called YSort that takes care of that for you.

Thanks for that!

I'd actually implemented my own YSortLayer, the first stab at which messed with the camera logic pretty badly. The second attempt may or may not be identical to their YSort object, but less code is better code.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've been working on the railroad, all the live-long day.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Let there be ball!

Spent the last 3 days refactoring things that used to appear to work but then apparently didn't.

Fortunately, now things appear to work.

Edit: vvv I know, right? I'll see what I can do.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 15, 2018

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lookin' good, man. But BBall's so last-last-last decade. Streets of Rage is where it's at.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I know reading is so dead-trees, but if I wanted to include basic information about the game (controls and whatnot) that maybe just maybe the judges see would I be better off putting it on the itch.io page or bundling it into the zip?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nuh-uh. My UI inclinations are atrocious and I'm out of town for the last half of the week, so the game's in bugfix-only mode.

Plus I think the main distinction between end users is more will-read-stuff vs won't-read-stuff. I'm not sure will-read-stuff-only-if-it's-in-game is a significant category.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Not sure why you aren't getting more shout outs (is Something Awful no longer the place for hip young people to hang out in cyberspace?) but I appreciate all the reviews you're sending out.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Huh? I thought you could always tell your program "move the origin perspective +n pixels to the right", usually via camera abstractions.

I'm right now for the first time in my hobbyist gamedev history moving the assets around the player, and that's only because I want to support world sizes of > 1,000 x 1,000 128x128 tiles.

Even Klik'n'Play had some means of camera scrolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

That indeed is news to me!

Truly, these comedy forums are dead. And allegedly, not-heterosexual.

• Locked thread