Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Gonna get in on this as an excuse to learn Godot Engine and hopefully get a little better at programmer art, it's good timing for me as my only obligation during the jam will be one summer class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Getting the essentials of RPG-style top-down movement in 8 directions with tiles working in Godot ended up being easier than expected. I figured getting sprites to draw in front or behind each other based on positioning would be difficult but Godot has a whole node called YSort that takes care of that for you.

Next step is probably getting the state machine together to handle animations in four of the directions and differentiate them between the walking and running states.

(Sorry for making the placeholder tiles obnoxious)

• Locked thread