Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
der8auer and Steve really work well together as a nerd comedy duo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKmRLFrvgiw

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

GutBomb posted:

There was some Gamers Nexus video were PC Jesus was being extra sarcastic and posing in various rooms of a fancy house a few months ago. Does anyone remember what the topic/title/url of this video was?

This?

https://youtu.be/tRH0-QwhvVQ

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Jesus uses a printout of the script, not a teleprompter. It's on the desk, in plain view. Sometimes he fights his cat for possession of it.

:v:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
"we all died in a car crash and this is actually hell"

:drat:

also agreed, steve. agreed.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
They've said in the past that the video is what pays the bills. The article is a bonus for people who don't want to watch a dry reading. It's stupid but that's how the ad-financed landscape works.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

~Coxy posted:

This has probably already been done to death (I don't really follow GN much) but I wish he would get an autocue.

Eh, I kinda like that the script is just a printout on the desk, it's sorta part of the charm somehow. GN is just some nerds who used to operate out of Steve's mom's house until like a year ago and all the money goes into more testing equipment. I also bet the cat would be much less interested in a teleprompter. :colbert:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Shut up Meg posted:

Whenever I try to watch his stuff, all I can think is 'why am I watching somebody reading out an article to me? Why don't I just read it myself?'

There's not much point to watching GN's reviews, they usually publish those in article form anyway and it's mostly just the charts that are interesting. Same thing with the hardware news recaps. The only reason they're on YouTube at all is that the cursed internet advertising economy forces them to. It's a waste of everyone's time and everyone knows it but that's where the money is. GN does have a lot of other content that's worth watching though, like the factory tours, some of their interviews and things like the EATX video above that's just Steve going off about vendor bullshit.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 30, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
what if you ground the heatsink and the IHS so flat that you could wring them together like gauge blocks :wth:

sure the manufacturing tolerances required would make both parts stupid expensive but that sick thermal efficiency tho

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 5, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Klyith posted:

I predict that it wouldn't work because the IHS probably has some non-uniform thermal expansion in operation.

yeah I know, I know, I had the same thought, but it'd be cool, y'know?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
GN has explicitly stated that YT is what pays the bills - the ad spots at the start of each clip is where the money's at. IIRC Steve even said at some point that he himself would rather be reading the reviews but they gotta go on video to keep the business sustainable. So watch GN's actually interesting video content instead, like the factory tours, read the reviews on the website and throw them a dollar on Patreon instead if you feel like it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Steve seems like he's on the warpath anyway judging by GN Twitter.

https://twitter.com/gamersnexus/status/1337887743502921735?s=21

https://twitter.com/gamersnexus/status/1337843708453064707?s=21

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
linus in his regular videos is fairly insufferable but that's his stage persona. steve from gamersnexus did a long off-the-cuff interview/behind the scenes video with him a while ago where he comes off in a completely different light and appears quite reasonable.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

EVIL Gibson posted:

I always get PSUs way above the minimum volts needed so it's probably very common at that level to have multiple 12v rails.

Not anymore, it isn't. PSU's with more than one physical 12v rail are a weird curiosity these days - you really have to go look specifically for them, and I'm not even sure if any modern designs exist at all. High end PSU's in the 1500-1600W range are all single rail these days. In the real high end PSU's though you can set overcurrent protection per connector in software, if you like, which gets you the one benefit multiple rails ever had. The 5v and 3.3v rails barely draw any power anymore, and all modern PSU's are DC-DC designs where the 12v supply powers the minor rails as well (except for 5VSB, the standby power, always the special snowflake). So, single 12v rail is both more efficient and more flexible for the user, and there's really no point to having multiple 12v rails anymore.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 2, 2021

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO0-47to8-E

This actually works shockingly well, and you don't even need a pump or have to worry about a pump failing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMFBAklURCo&t=522s

Swimming pool cooling, while on vacation at the Maldives resort from Hitman 2, because of course. (English subtitles available)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBxo2_lwKps

jesus is concerned positive videos don't do as well as negative ones :smith:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The super high OPP threshold is also sort of concerning in and of itself even disregarding the component failures - even some absolute bargain basement 80+ bronze PSU's like the corsair cx series has quite reasonable OPP that consistently trips at like 120% load, at least on the 12V rails. Sometimes they skimp out hard on OPP on the minor rails but that's less of a big deal since there really isn't much in the way of consumption there.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

This is awesome and industrial testing equipment owns, but now I'm really curious why they've covered up what is presumably the manufacturer branding and model numbers on the thing.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Steve's on the warpath again, absolutely savage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsdeJszdV7I

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Most of YouTube (and especially nerd YouTube) is just content marketing at this point, there are weirdos running independent channels here and there but they're pretty rare. Nerd identity is pretty entangled with consumerism and nerds love watching product reviews, so nerd interests are particularly plagued by this.

We need a lot more jocks to shove us into lockers so we don't dare to buy :pcgaming: LED stuff

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 29, 2022

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
let us remind ourselves here that what we're doing here is subscribing to product reviews as entertainment. like, you're voluntarily submerging yourself neck deep in consumerism and making it part of your identity. it doesn't really matter what the hosts actually say at that point.

gamersnexus skirts the edge because they're more of an independent industry news outlet than a content marketing studio, and even in their product reviews you can tell they're trying to tone down the consumerism aspects. people complain about their reviews being boring with steve just reading numbers off a chart, but knowing Steve that might actually be kind of intentional on some level - you shouldn't be watching the review just for the sake of watching the review. of course, not even Steve is immune to the economic realities of the advertising economy and you can tell he's been frustrated lately because it's been difficult to get people to actually watch the content he thinks is interesting, rather than just the usual "hey look new shiny product" fare.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 31, 2022

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've gotten pushback for saying before, but yes, I think Nvidia's ultimate endgame is to exit consumer graphics cards entirely and be datacenter only. If you want the latest graphical advancements, get a geforce cloud subscription. This isn't happening in the near future but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the 10 year goal.
Financialization is a fact in pretty much every manufacturing industry now, everyone is desperately trying to figure out how to pivot from selling things once to selling subscriptions. The rule of thumb is that one dollar of recurring revenue is worth seven dollars of one-time revenue, when it comes to things like valuations and whatnot. Nobody cares about actual profit today, everyone wants a story about potential profit tomorrow. I myself work for a company that sells physical devices direct to consumers, and while that's well and good, it's also insignificant even though it's making us a lot of money - the board's top priority is making us convert our enterprise customers to a subscription sales model as soon as possible.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 17, 2022

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

gradenko_2000 posted:

can someone explain this thing about a pump design patent that apparently dominates the space and how people are trying to get around it?

Danish company Asetek holds US patent 8245764 as well as a bunch of other patents that basically covers most elements of AIO liquid cooler design. Most of this is probably unenforceable because it's too trivial, but Asetek is highly litigious and have won lawsuits specifically related to the pump-in-block claim before, earning them royalties on a bunch of AIO's made by other companies. More recently however they lost a patent infringement case against CoolerMaster in the EU a couple of years ago, in part due to prior art and in part due to the claims being too trivial. This ruling was upheld in the Supreme Court of the Netherlands in December 2020, which also resolved a couple of other related EU lawsuits against other companies that were waiting for the higher court to come to a decision in this case. Immediately prior to that, in November 2020, Asetek were threatening Arctic with a patent infringement lawsuit for basically the same thing, but their loss in the NL court probably made them drop that threat (I don't think Arctic circumvented the patents at all, really).

Even more recently (early October), Asetek settled out of court with CoolIT and Corsair in a California patent infringement lawsuit, even though their CEO said they totally could've won it. :rolleyes:
e: they also lost another lawsuit against CoolIT around the same time.
Since the patents in question were going to expire in 2025 anyway I think we've finally seen the end of this patent trolling nonsense, for now.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 24, 2022

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Charles Leclerc posted:

This is actually really interesting to me because the first AIO cooler I became aware of and actually bought was a CoolIT that had a very basic LCD screen on the pump/CPU block combo back in maybe 2006 or 2007? This was around the time that AIO water coolers were becoming a thing.

Most of Asetek's extremely broad AIO patents were filed in like 2004-2005 and only approved 5-7 years later; the one in the EU CoolerMaster lawsuit was approved as late as 2015. There's absolutely no merit to these, but that doesn't stop a patent troll.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Didn't Steve work for Dell way back before he started GN? I don't think it's lack of experience.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Re: GN Steve's rant about debug displays, der8auer visits German server provider Hetzner and discovers that even on the cut-down custom boards with every frill removed they still didn't skimp on the debug code display:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2P8mjWRqpk

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Rinkles posted:

They do it occasionally. I’ve seen it in a lot of channels. I’m not sure if it’s sometimes at the algorithm’s behest.

Here's a pretty thorough deep dive into it and why they do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2xHZPH5Sng&t=1037s

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Adult Men Do Things Together, aka. Steve and Roman sit around and nerd out about heat spreaders, production of heat spreaders and global supply chain issues for half an hour (it's good):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9TH7TeDZM8

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 13, 2023

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

SlowBloke posted:

They also had a smaller anechoic box that was used once.

I'm pretty sure they got that one for cheap, it was sold as surplus from some bigco in the area IIRC. They used it for the Steam Deck review I think but turned out to be too small to really do much else with.

njsykora posted:

I just don't see the point in building an anechoic chamber for case reviews, it's not a relevant test to real world performance
Disagree, lower noise floor just lets you measure more accurately in general.

The fan tester is a puzzle though, I don't know why they haven't used that more. For a while they were saying they needed to really understand it properly before they published anything but that was years ago at this point.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
For heating, air circulation is strictly less efficient than water circulation. In cold climates what you actually want is water circulation where the heat source is district heating. It's by far the most energy efficient solution out there and the least polluting too (one really huge furnace with sophisticated exhaust gas management is way better than many tiny furnaces and heating generally benefits from economies of scale). Even if you don't have district heating, water circulation is still the way to go. It's flexible because you can heat the water in any way you want (furnace of any type, downhole heat exchanger, geothermal energy, your own solar electricity, whatever) and you can also store heat with not-terrible efficiency. District cooling does exist but isn't that common yet, especially not to homes, so if you want cooling you'd have to have heat pumps/AC units as well. Central air is essentially never the correct answer, it's a legacy thing since before heat pumps became really good.

e: youtuber, to try to stay at least vaguely on topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Khzns0KIk

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there such a thing as an HVAC youtuber

technology connections goes hard on heat pumps

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 22, 2023

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
RCR in the old days had absolutely nothing to do with car facts, it was just very funny automotive shitposting. Go back and look at the oldest videos on the channel; many of them are extremely funny but for a long time in the early years he really didn't talk much about the cars themselves. In the very first video on the channel he overdubs technical stuff about the engine with "blah blah blah". Then they ran out of jokes and had to pivot to being an actual car reviewer and it sucks now. I don't think they like what they do anymore but it's not like they can quit. A lot of YouTube channels are like TV shows that should have been cancelled 8 seasons ago but they keep running the gimmick into the ground because the content mill is their whole livelihood now.

e: example, one of my favorite RCR videos ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uH_X-9fjfI

This video is not about the car.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 23, 2023

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUeZQ3pky-w

Steve spending months of work and $10k on arguing with YouTube commenters. Kinda relatable, tbh

"we actually have Friday benchmark parties where we stare at the GTA V benchmark loop run for 95 minutes"
is... he throwing shade on Linus again? lmao

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 31, 2023

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Yeah. I pay for premium too because I use it so much, and many of the channels I follow are only on YouTube, but the platform is just awful. Just to take it one example, I follow a few different music-related channels and all of them just have enormous issues with the copyright strike system constantly being exploited by malicious actors who basically take no risks at all. Music channels tend to also be on Nebula for precisely this reason, but a lot of other channels aren't.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
leave the poor data alone to pass away in peace and dignity. let it sink into oblivion and move on with your life. you will not watch those movies again. you are not the same person anymore and are not obligated to have the same taste.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
he's not a tech idiot, but I thought this Adam Neely video on youtubing was interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RceZ8VS8PbQ

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Not ideal, but that's more or less fine, the most important region has good contact pressure. It's just not a trick on par with AMD offset mounting, which is a universally great way to improve cooling on AM4/AM5.

TechPowerUp reviewed it too, and i don't trust their methodology as much as GN's but they do show the difference in rankings between AMD and Intel:

Those results seem to indicate it does better with Intel though, which is the opposite of what you said you'd expect in the previous post? The Intel CPU is cooler (although the heat load is also 25W lower) and the max heat capacity is higher. The tests really aren't directly comparable though, in the temperature test the Intel part is 25W less heat load as mentioned, and in the heat capacity test the cutoff temperature is 5° higher on Intel.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
They've done something to the comment weighting algorithm in the last few years, youtube comments are usually quite positive these days. It used to be just a total toxic cesspit down there, these days it's bland but mostly inoffensive. Sometimes this has weird results, like any military march for example will have a bunch of authoritarian-smelling nostalgia down there. But it's not negative!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
:ssh: Hames Joffman is not James Hoffman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf2K2PuEUv8

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
they don't call him Tech Jesus for nothing

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I think Steve himself is on record as agreeing that charts are better on the website. He's fun to watch when he's mad at some industry bullshit though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

priznat posted:

Speaking of car stuff I have been getting into this guy’s channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifZDPsfghyk

Guy lives near the Nurburgring and works/worked at a place that does the ring taxi service and rentals and is a pretty great driver doing laps in everything from stock hot hatches to hypercars. I would love to go there someday and get a ride around with a pro driver. I am not foolish enough to attempt doing it in a rental.

Oh I remember that guy, I quickly got bored of the supercar content but some of his videos featuring lovely old beaters were really funny, like there was some Suzuki Swift with 60 hp or something. Absolute favorite video was this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CievyzMQSw

1200€ clapped-out Citroën Xsara family hatchback with 130k miles on it and godawful worn-out tires on a wet track with four people in the car and everyone is laughing hysterically as the car tries to slide off the track at every single turn.