Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

der8auer and Steve really work well together as a nerd comedy duo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKmRLFrvgiw

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

GutBomb posted:

There was some Gamers Nexus video were PC Jesus was being extra sarcastic and posing in various rooms of a fancy house a few months ago. Does anyone remember what the topic/title/url of this video was?

This?

https://youtu.be/tRH0-QwhvVQ

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Jesus uses a printout of the script, not a teleprompter. It's on the desk, in plain view. Sometimes he fights his cat for possession of it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

"we all died in a car crash and this is actually hell"

also agreed, steve. agreed.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

They've said in the past that the video is what pays the bills. The article is a bonus for people who don't want to watch a dry reading. It's stupid but that's how the ad-financed landscape works.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

~Coxy posted:

This has probably already been done to death (I don't really follow GN much) but I wish he would get an autocue.

Eh, I kinda like that the script is just a printout on the desk, it's sorta part of the charm somehow. GN is just some nerds who used to operate out of Steve's mom's house until like a year ago and all the money goes into more testing equipment. I also bet the cat would be much less interested in a teleprompter.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Shut up Meg posted:

Whenever I try to watch his stuff, all I can think is 'why am I watching somebody reading out an article to me? Why don't I just read it myself?'

There's not much point to watching GN's reviews, they usually publish those in article form anyway and it's mostly just the charts that are interesting. Same thing with the hardware news recaps. The only reason they're on YouTube at all is that the cursed internet advertising economy forces them to. It's a waste of everyone's time and everyone knows it but that's where the money is. GN does have a lot of other content that's worth watching though, like the factory tours, some of their interviews and things like the EATX video above that's just Steve going off about vendor bullshit.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 30, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

what if you ground the heatsink and the IHS so flat that you could wring them together like gauge blocks

sure the manufacturing tolerances required would make both parts stupid expensive but that sick thermal efficiency tho

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 5, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Klyith posted:

I predict that it wouldn't work because the IHS probably has some non-uniform thermal expansion in operation.

yeah I know, I know, I had the same thought, but it'd be cool, y'know?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

GN has explicitly stated that YT is what pays the bills - the ad spots at the start of each clip is where the money's at. IIRC Steve even said at some point that he himself would rather be reading the reviews but they gotta go on video to keep the business sustainable. So watch GN's actually interesting video content instead, like the factory tours, read the reviews on the website and throw them a dollar on Patreon instead if you feel like it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Steve seems like he's on the warpath anyway judging by GN Twitter.

https://twitter.com/gamersnexus/status/1337887743502921735?s=21

https://twitter.com/gamersnexus/status/1337843708453064707?s=21

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

linus in his regular videos is fairly insufferable but that's his stage persona. steve from gamersnexus did a long off-the-cuff interview/behind the scenes video with him a while ago where he comes off in a completely different light and appears quite reasonable.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

EVIL Gibson posted:

I always get PSUs way above the minimum volts needed so it's probably very common at that level to have multiple 12v rails.

Not anymore, it isn't. PSU's with more than one physical 12v rail are a weird curiosity these days - you really have to go look specifically for them, and I'm not even sure if any modern designs exist at all. High end PSU's in the 1500-1600W range are all single rail these days. In the real high end PSU's though you can set overcurrent protection per connector in software, if you like, which gets you the one benefit multiple rails ever had. The 5v and 3.3v rails barely draw any power anymore, and all modern PSU's are DC-DC designs where the 12v supply powers the minor rails as well (except for 5VSB, the standby power, always the special snowflake). So, single 12v rail is both more efficient and more flexible for the user, and there's really no point to having multiple 12v rails anymore.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO0-47to8-E

This actually works shockingly well, and you don't even need a pump or have to worry about a pump failing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMFBAklURCo#t=522s

Swimming pool cooling, while on vacation at the Maldives resort from Hitman 2, because of course. (English subtitles available)