Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I have a general youtube question, I hope this is cool to post!

I watch a shitload of Youtube. The problem is (and correct me if this is a rare issue) but the volume on the videos varies a LOT.

Is there some way to make it so that quiet youtube videos are boosted and loud youtube videos are made more quiet?

Sorry for the weird tangential question. It's kind of ruining my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

K8.0 posted:

1. That is a rare issue, at least for me. Maybe you're browsing some very different topics on youtube? I dunno. The only time I find myself adjusting the volume of youtube relative to other things is sometimes when I'm playing a quiet game that can't get louder while listening to a loud podcast.
2. Never buy a keyboard that doesn't have a volume roller. If it doesn't have a volume roller, it goes straight in the trashcan.

Yeah. I use large floorstanding speakers as my primary 2.0 audio source, and I think it's related to that. They require a fair bit of power, and therefore don't react well to low volume sources. This might make the issue niche, unfortunately though it's really bad in my case.

One of my two keyboards does have a volume knob, but that's a kludgy fix because, for example, if I'm playing a game while listening to youtube or music in the background (to your point), only one source wins in that fight and the other is going to be too quiet or too loud. Of course you could adjust the volume of the game, but then you would be doing that constantly as you got auto directed to new videos over time.

What would be ideal is some app that messes with the audio to make it all the same general volume, but that's probably not a thing unfortunately...

e: And for the record I generally agree with you re: a keyboard needing a volume wheel, but I have a Filco Majestouch brown as one of my keyboards and for some reason its just so good. I'm biased though. Had it for probably a decade at this point. I also frequently use a keyboard from Steel Series with a volume knob, and it has those magnetic actuated keys so you can adjust the key feel on an individual basis. That keyboard is really cool but sometimes you gotta go with the Filco.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 5, 2022

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

That would be called normalization, or loudness or volume normalization. There's one Chrome extension that has 4 stars, not sure if there's another way to do it.

edit: YouTube will normalize down but not up automatically.

This one presumably?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/youtube-normalizer/ihlalbalpneokgcdiafhkjpnbekhlnmc?hl=en

I'll give it a try thanks!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Kerbtree posted:

Enhancer for YouTube has a toggleable volume booster, and you can configure how much Oomph it adds.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That will just normalize the volume within a video, not normalize all videos to a single volume level. It may be useful for podcasts with poorly mixed audio or something, but I don't think it will help with your specific issue.

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

That would be called normalization, or loudness or volume normalization. There's one Chrome extension that has 4 stars, not sure if there's another way to do it.

edit: YouTube will normalize down but not up automatically.

Thanks guys! It's going ok so far. It's not perfect as you point out VG0031 but better than nothing. Happy Saturday!

I moved to an HDMI 2.1 receiver recently along with big floorstanders for my AV setup and I probably should have been smarter and known there would be downsides. In the end, big speakers are not great for PC use unless you plan to actually exert the volume necessary to drive them, or you'll be like me and have constant issues with normalizations.

Cheers.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I just want to say that the thread title makes me laugh every single time I log into SHSC

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Have kind of a niche youtube question if anyone knows... I pay for youtube premium and doing so gives you access to something called "1080p Premium" which just has a higher bitrate for the resolution and doesn't give you any more information.

I'm just curious, has anyone used that feature and found that it helped vs the base 1080p? I have good equipment and pretty good eyes and feel like I can rarely if ever tell? But I also don't think of comparing it a lot.

Anyways that's my question: if you have access to 1080p Premium, do you notice a difference, and if so, when? As tech-centric youtube people I assume if anyone would know about this it would be yall.

Frankly I am a little surprised, because for years the groupthink opinion was that 1080p on Youtube has been heavily messed up by the bitrate limits, and if we could just get a higher bitrate, it would look better. I just don't see it, yet, but I want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Thanks yall I really appreciate the explanation re: youtube premium 1080p, :cheers:

I've been trying to find a video where it makes a difference and will report back if that happens. It's not the reason I sub to Youtube Premium or anything, so if it ends up being a lame feature in practice, that's fine. Honestly, just the ability to play youtube videos while the phone screen is off is enough to qualify the purchase for me.

I pay for a family subscription and have friends and family added onto it as some kind of community service lol

That DBrand thing is wild by the way. I work in silicon valley tech marketing (sorry, I know) and it's completely bewildering how something like that would be ok. Is that normal for Twitter these days? Or is this something the brand does as a marketing tactic? Very confusing. If someone posted anything 1% as weird on the twitters of companies I've worked for they would have been ejected out of the office and directly into the sun.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 10, 2024