Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Not a great look to take the overly-defensive route on this one but I get that having to care about YouTube metrics is bad for the brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

njsykora posted:

No-one clicks on positive video titles though. Look at a positive review video and a negative one, the negative one will always have more views.

Maybe take another twenty minutes to figure one out that doesn’t untruthfully poo poo on your vendor

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

denereal visease posted:

YouTube tech idiots fandom thread: Intel driver sucked me off?!

please & thank you!

Sorry, not good SEO since there’s no negativity.

With teeth!?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

uhhhhh

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol imagine getting that message from your boss

Imagine it.

Lol

Buddy I get those every week

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Idk the memo is a pretty good strategy to put out there. Any time some allegations pop up he can just point to that and say this is my sexual history instead of having to deny. It's gross but 🤷‍♂️

Easy for him, maybe

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This guy rolling with a $25 Jansport while I’m glorying in my Tumis

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I bought their mousepad because I liked the design and needed a new mousepad. It has become a strong part of my identity.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

so i finally went to lttstore based on this conversation and

ITS ALL LINUS MODELING EVERYTHING?????????

Yeah they got a lot of mileage out of the branded underwear

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

namlosh posted:

Like what you like sure…

But I’ll never understand using both your money and one of your only outlets of self-expression to advertise someone else’s corporation

Nothing is free. You are the product

ok adbusters

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tbh the LTTStore merch is kind of a bad example to use for this conversation because the logos tend to be pretty subdued and they are genuinely doing interesting design work. Same for the GN merch.

Compare this to sites like GiantBomb and Nextlander which plaster a big "GIANTBOMB.COM" right up front.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Grumbles posted:

For me I think any item of clothing where the question 'what's that logo about' invites a super awkward and alienating answer is probably a nope.

Like "uhhh it's the logo for a consumer reviews website for computer components". I just don't see there being any way to answer that question without sounding like Roast Beef from Achewood.

But also wear whatever the hell you want so long as it isn't swastikas

Who asks about inch-wide logos on shirt collars though

I couldn’t explain poo poo about why some of my shirts have a tiny alligator on them

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tumi stuff is really well made for as good as it looks. My bag that I’ve traveled with for years and years looks brand new.

I just picked up a new one that started at $600 but hit the outlets a year later at $200

Having a bunch of smart compartments for electronics, cables, and bottles really helps keep things organized and clean when traveling

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CoolCab posted:

bud i wasn't attacking you or your purchase, but their product placement decision in the market. i entirely legit don't care about high end backpacks so i don't say that to be snotty i am totally unironically ignorant maybe they're launching the apple for backpacks and the pricing is a steal i have no way of knowing. i'm sorry do you want to wager, like if you'll pay me i'll see if i can go dig up statistics on the average per unit sale cost of a backpack i bet it's a hell of a lot closer to 25 than 250 and i am very critical of linus tech tips ability to command the same premium pricing as your market dominant Calvin Klein high end designer of the backpack market (whoever that is). i mean poo poo it's 2022 and this is an influencer culture, who knows. it's your money and if you can swing it i hope it's a good backpack, legit i wasn't being lovely, but i still am incredibly cynical about it - i think it's going to enter a rough market with consumer spending on a massive downturn globally.

I still think you’re talking about it like it has a giant print of Linus’ face winking at you instead of the letters “LTT” in a small patch

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Grumbles posted:

Edit: I just listened to the WAN show clip and it's kind of a wild take. His argument for not providing a warranty is that if he died tomorrow he wouldn't want his wife to feel obliged to run the company, thus going through the trauma of seeing her dead husband's face over all the branding (he actually said this), which is the situation he'd be creating by providing a legally binding obligation to repair his expensive backpack over the next 10 years.

What the heck

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How many products that this guy covers don’t have a warranty and how would he treat one that didn’t

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 8, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A lot of his language is problematic. Measuring things in c*nt hairs and the like.

This was a couple Automotive Insanity superstars at one point and it always made me cringe so hard. Just imagining that wheezy laugh after saying something like “this vacuum tube sucks harder than your sister!” gives me chills.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Every terrible post I make and read inflicts a small but tangible wound on my psyche

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It doesn't even seem like Linus is being accused of anything? Maybe he should shut the gently caress up

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The "INTEL GAVE US $9,000 TO SPEND ON A GAMING MACHINE" genre of videos could not be less interesting to me, since they invariably show off some relatively minor performance gain with tech that simply hasn't realized the benefit of manufacturing efficiencies.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CordlessPen posted:

It's especially bad for Anthony who's been there since the beginning, is 10 times as knowledgeable as Linus but lives in a basement apartment.

tbh I feel like that's essential for his image

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The only thing that appears to have actually happened was Linus inviting her to his hotel at nighttime, presumably to discuss floatplane, which may have been well-intentioned or not but either way she was understandably uncomfortable with accepting.

Everything besides that seems to be a mix of internet drama, lashing out, hyperbole, sarcasm, and warring fanbases. There are obviously no substantial or serious accusations happening.

In short I now think they should both shut the gently caress up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CoolCab posted:

and why would she possibly lie about the emails and then not lie about the fact she hosed up and didn't send them? doesn't make any sense.

That should really be the end of the story, because it completely undermines this years-long tale of "How can I really know that I wasn't being shut out because I turned down his advances???"

I don't really believe that somebody who actually cared about getting onto the video network would make some "whoops I forgot to send the emails" mistake but whatever.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CoolCab posted:

be careful, spending anything less than say sixteen labour hours at canadian minimum wage on a backpack will have people very angry at you for being poor, enjoying balogna, etc. :v:

I only wish the poors someday have the chance to enjoy a backpack with more gear pockets than a bread bag tied with twine

Actually just thought about making a disruptive, tech oriented bindle bag called Byndl. Nobody steal this idea.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

who puts wall-to-wall carpet anywhere in the house

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have zero issue with nice things costing more money but that toaster doesn’t even toast the bread well

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does yours leave the bottom 25% untoasted too

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

buglord posted:

The GN video that showed clips from the WAN show between Linus and Lucas made me lose all possible respect for Linus, which was weird because I still had a bit for him even if I disliked his content.

just another privileged, pasty out of touch tech nerd. get bent.

That was a rough watch. What a dipshit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve bought a couple sets of Black and Decker ratcheting screwdriver kits but they both broke because they use a metal band and ball bearing to hold the bits in and that wears out pretty quickly

I’ve got a Wera one on my list now

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s so trivial to care about YouTubers. Like, have you even heard of Vladimir Putin???

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cool, envrionmentally conscious europeans only buy baguette loaves and wicker baskets

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

YouTuber commentary on YouTuber commentary? These guys must be at the benthic part of the food chain

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

priznat posted:

That’s one way to keep up with amazon I suppose

Walmart.com turned itself into this weird Alibaba marketplace/eBay combination and it’s really awkward trying to buy things from Walmart directly

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CoolCab posted:

the line between enthusiast review and promo piece is pretty loving hard to draw in this space

There isn’t a line imo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ok lol we don't need to tear down the idea of a ratcheting screwdriver, cowboy

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

very little of a computer is load bearing so finger setting ought to be enough, really. like has anyone even legitimately used a screwdriver ever?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh, its PC building time?

*Gets out 4 foot long torque wrench*

Time to properly install M.2 SSD screws

Does Harbor Freight sell anything that can do inch-pounds?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This may just be me but if I’m paying that much for a screwdriver I’d expect it to survive a fall onto carpet

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DataVac Computer Cleaner / Computer Duster Super Powerful Electronic Dust Blower Environmentally Friendly Alternative to Compressed Air or Canned Air https://a.co/d/eci7KwL

You can get knockoffs cheaper but gently caress’em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You know it’s good when it torques your wrist when you turn it on