Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Warmachine posted:

People who are actually capable of defending themselves and exercising the judgement of when to use lethal force and when to deescalate don't post about it.

People who post about it 100% have poo poo politics and are into murderfantasy.

Having lived in Orange County for grad school for a few years, it makes 100% more sense when I found out that he's based out of there. Not saying that everyone there is a shithead (there's actually a lot of cool local activism by undocumented young people), but they have some of the most vile fashy conservatives in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Maybe his partner finally got fed up of having to explain his Asian minstrel act to their family and friends.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Those guys just can't catch a break. I didn't usually watch much of their stuff but they seem to be good guys.

I find their current videos very refreshing, especially when they start off any video about GPUs by acknowledging how meaningless GPU reviews are at the moment.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
It's great that Linus (who is arguably the most shilly of techtubers) feels the need to declare that he's" not an anticapitalist activist" in his pro Right to Repair video to reassure the chud section of his fanbase.

mA fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 22, 2021

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Helter Skelter posted:

lmao, those LG emails are incredible.

Pay for play is a tale as old as time. Even though they got exposed here, HUB is just one outlet and I bet many other youtubers and influencers are probably begging LG to send them free stuff instead to "review".

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Marques Brownlee makes some of the most beautiful content in the tech-sphere of youtube, but for the aforementioned reasons, I cannot take his opinions seriously - it's pretty overt shilling. Linus's 'previews' are at least quarantined off, but it does damage his brand when I have to constantly be double-checking whether or not this is a 'preview' or a 'review'. Unbox Therapy is terrible. Steve is bae.

I remember him and Linus doing that "8K GAMING" commercial for Nvidia when Ampere dropped :lol:

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's first reports that Gigabyte's attempting to weasel themselves out of RMAs.

Not surprising. There are endless horror stories about nightmare RMA experiences with Gigabyte GPUs.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Good luck to anyone RMAing that gigabyte PSU (or any gigabyte compnent). Apparently the recent Gigabyte hack has really taken a toll on their RMA service, which was already the worst in the business beforehand.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Their monitors are decent at least. They tend to make smart choices to reduce cost without sacrificing functionality, making for some pretty solid mid-budget displays that are competitive with the high-end displays out there. As for everything else they make, I think I'd rather stay away unless they're selling me a graphics card at msrp.

Speaking of gigabyte monitors, good news:

They can be a decent economical choice (their mobos seem to be solid), but you're pretty hosed if your purchase has problems down the line even within the warranty period. If Gigabyte was my only choice, I'd consider buying a 3rd party warranty just so I don't have to deal with their clown car customer service or RMA experience.

mA fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 26, 2021

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Lots of online gaming subcultures intersect with openly racist communities (4chan) and other online spheres that consider themselves "anti-woke" (r/kotakuinaction) and those clowns tend to have a large voice and presence even though are the minority. I don't think that's all that debatable at this point. At the same time, in our racist society/world, your average gamer probably isn't all that much more or less racist than the person walking down the street.

As for Bitwit, good comedians play with stereotypes all the time to highlight the absurdity of racial bigotry, build empathy across culture and community, or make a political observation through humor. Bitwit's "Chinese" accent bit does none of that nor is it funny, because he isn't funny, nor is he skilled enough to comment on society and culture in those ways. He's a dork who makes a living building computers on youtube. I sense that when his stans come to his defense around his act, they either have an unhealthy parasocial relationship with him, and/or have an anti-woke agenda they're trying to push forward. I'm not sure exactly what he's is trying to accomplish with that bit, because he isn't even playing a character when he does that voice. He speaks just like he usually does but with an accent. At best he comes off as extremely cringe and unfunny when he does that voice and at worst he's reinforcing mean spirited anti-Asian stereotypes and mockery.

mA fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 9, 2021

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
https://twitter.com/linustech/status/1444693732637380622?s=21

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Former Human posted:

Remember when Hasan Piker said America deserved 9/11 and got fired from The Young Turks?

I won't go far as to say who deserved what, but America is the world champion of committing and enabling 9/11s across the world

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Kazinsal posted:

Wendell would be on Team Steve as well, which means we need to find the opposite of Wendell for Team Linus.

Maybe some YouTuber who still uses hacked together pirated versions of Windows 7 and has to reformat weekly to clear out the malware because he still refuses to upgrade.

What about the techtuber who likes to do whole episodes using very racist Chinese accents?

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
I would have loved to be a fly in the wall to see Linus' meltdowns at the whole team. On the latest video, it seems like all of them have been up 48 hours straight having to deal with his passive aggressive whining

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay is Ian Cuttress affiliated with LTT in some way because the man is still repping for Linus through all this - even promoted the apology video as being good

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1691813076561952777?s=20

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Arivia posted:

I saw that. We don't specifically know it's about Emily, we don't know how much if any transphobia Emily is facing in the workplace, and we certainly don't need a goon making lovely transphobic jokes to keep going along with the dogpile.

Um, that "attack helicopter" bit is textbook transphobic AF to include in an official video, regardless if Emily was 'cool' with it or not.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

FlapYoJacks posted:

If any of the Madison accusations are proven true, this will, at the minimum, irreparably harm their brand, and Linus/Yvonne will be forced out. Unfortunately, I have a sinking feeling they may ignore the entire thing, and the collective goldfish midspan of the internet will forget about it in a few weeks. :smith:

If enough outlets report on it, then they'll need to respond. And they'll use the polite, passive aggressive gaslighting strategy that every corporation does nowadays. "We see you, we hear you, and Madison's experience is valid, but the majority of the LTT family loves working here, etc."

mA fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 16, 2023

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Is there a Jason Schreier of Youtube journalists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yup literally reading the handbook where they insist you talk to whoever is causing a hostile environment rather than bother management:

there's a lot of highlights in that book these are a couple of smaller sections that stood out to me:

full handbook: https://imgur.com/a/yhaxSiQ
the parts that are horrible/funny/legal minimums: https://imgur.com/a/pGd0iqP

i'm not posting the worst ones in here directly because ooof

Wow, is it legal in Canada for employers to prohibit employees from sharing salaries and wage info with their colleagues/peers?