Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Youtube is a lot more hostile against ISPs than Netflix is, though; the latter has the OpenConnect Appliances that any ISP can setup in their datacenter racks, which functions as a cache for Netflix content.

Netflix probably has well under 1% of the data that Youtube has though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i don't watch ltt and i encourage you to join me

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

stop caring about the youtuber and just watch what you enjoy

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

steve didn't sleep for days to get the steam deck review out and has insomnia brain

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

didn't they also use the home version of OCCT until they were called out recently?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

kliras posted:

Linus talking about labour protections and unionization was pretty hilarious. I don't think he's the villain people would have him be, but having his wife handle internal HR complaints is a weird thing to boast of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEdAosuqAsM&t=5854s

"It's hard to fire employees, what more could they want"

Small business owner whining about employees in a nutshell.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

People also try to excuse AMD as a plucky little company but they're still a huge corporation and their market cap these days is barely smaller than Intel, which is nuts.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I just read the StH articles on their website and skip the videos because I am 98 years old

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Mr.Radar posted:

LOL, Linus didn't want to pay for movers so he got his office staff to do it for him:

this guy really is the small boss nightmare in a geek package

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Charles Leclerc posted:

Preeeeeetty sure all of those employees could nope the gently caress out of it and you're all projecting poo poo, but ok. The YouTuber grind mentality which Linus has spent years perfecting is "why pay the guys who know what they're doing when we can hit the red button on a camera and monetise it?"

overclocking things until they start on fire, sure. attempting to make a raid setup with no fail protection, why not? having your staff move you isn't interesting, it's lovely.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He's using fancier switches with built-in motion sensors. And he's using them for every switch in his house.

spending $10k so I can wave my arms every 15 minutes when my motion sensor switch thinks the room is empty

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

and it had me thinking: how much more powerful is an old x86 CPU (say, a Skylake-era Pentium or a Bulldozer-era APU) compared to a current-day flagship phone?

In something like Geekbench, the Snapdragon 888 is about on par with a quad core skylake. The A15 in an iPhone is ~50% faster on single core, and a bit faster on multi-core. The gap between desktop processors and phones has narrowed significantly vs a decade ago.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i really miss written articles and youtube is loving stupid

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

EngineerJoe posted:

It seems totally false given that it was email blasted to as many people as possible and there's no victim/child named.

uhhhhh

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

LionArcher posted:

In terms of production quality, MKBHD and ijustine stand above everyone else as far as I’m concerned.

One of the more annoying things I notice about mid-size tech tubers is that they tend to just point a shotgun mic from 6 feet away in an empty cube of a room and it sounds like poo poo. Just use a microphone arm or lapel mic.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I have never looked at tech tuber merch. I just buy most of my clothes from Costco or Target because I don't give a poo poo.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

You can also invest that money into a bag by a proven maker, and not have to take a box cutter to it in the process

But do they have a pocket for my $100 screwdriver?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The LTT bagholders

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I mean his opinion on both this and his employees is a pretty classic scummy small business stance, but one might gently caress over you, the viewer.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

K8.0 posted:

I decided to go look more up on her twitter and...

take that, women on the internet

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

making sure to put a disclaimer about maybe linus isn't perfect before the multi-sentence making GBS threads on the woman who accused him sure is popular this page

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

TWBalls posted:

Youtube tech idiot talks about a toaster:

IMPACT FONT

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I have never seen a mr beast video so I just pretend it's LA Beast in a poor fitting suit jacket attempting to sound professional and important.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Charles Leclerc posted:

I mean come over to AI and see the dumb poo poo we do with money. Or the water cooling thread. Or whatever else.

If it's not taking food off your family's table why are strangers on the internet so bothered about how you spend your hard earned? It's super loving weird.

i like to make fun of dumb products because they make me laugh

like a backpack that gets its zipper direction from anime

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Baronash posted:

The price was so obviously impossible (gotta love those $18 SSDs) that nobody who understands the terms "terabyte" and "ssd" should have fallen for it.

I don't think we should admonish people getting scammed instead of the 300 billion dollar company that doesn't give a poo poo.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

Awkward how? Just look to see if it's sold and shipped by Walmart. Same thing as on Amazon.

You have to do it on every search and it's a pain in the rear end if you're buying several things.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

njsykora posted:

I would like literally any phone reviewer to do this whenever they're complaining about how nothing at the flagship end beyond the foldy gimmick is interesting. Go down and see what's going on in the mid and low range, see how much performance is being squeezed out of products that don't have infinite budget because the kind of people who buy flagships will literally pay anything. As the $1500 foldable market has handily demonstrated.

When people click the affiliate links, 0.5% of $150 is not as much as 0.5% of $1,200. The end.

Ad revenue is poo poo compared to affiliate link revenue for product "review" channels.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

CoolCab posted:

it could be, and it could be implemented like a stupid ultra end pricepoint thing but that's not my intent. a precision tool to take the element of tightening out of the equation for poo poo like mounts or repairs i feel like could sell if it's viable technologically - now there would be a good place for a brand like ifixit. work it into their existing guides, have a screwdriver that can apply exactly torque to remove the screws on eg a specific model of iphone and return them. betcha there's a market for that.

Have fun designing a precision torquing mechanism for a 00 phillips head

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

K8.0 posted:

It bothers me that I constantly see people referring to him like he's an actual reviewer and not a pure shill. Somehow he dodges disclosure requirements like neo and the result is a lot of consumers getting conned by paid reviews.

Does he not actually disclose when he's doing paid for stuff? I don't watch his channel.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

njsykora posted:

Also I won't judge people for doing the Raid deal

it's gambling for kids and should be illegal

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

K8.0 posted:

I seriously doubt anyone who cared to know where he lives had trouble finding out his home address anyway. People need to stop acting like it's a big deal

nah some people are seriously crazy. I don't watch him, but for example xqc has had to move multiple times including once because someone broke into his place with a crowbar looking for him

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

Unrelated but MW is the only FPS where I regularly see PC players using a controller because of how hosed the aim assist is because it's console first AND crossplay

Apex is also like this. Pro teams usually have 1-2 controller players.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Palladium posted:

why would they still want to keep that amazing bear inside a trash bag

protecting it from Jeffrey

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

kliras posted:

which is why so many youtubers started getting involved in twitch

that is drying up too. twitch is already shoving more ads everywhere, and changed their cut of subscriber revenue from 30% to 50% last year

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

yeah, and if the people with the most viewers and sway are getting hosed for an extra 20%, what's going to happen to everyone else longer term

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

copper heatpipes on aluminum heatsinks are the best combination of heat transfer, weight, and cost. an all copper heatsink the size of a nh-d15 would weigh over 4 kg

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

mewse posted:

Even when Rossman was still doing board repair videos I remember one where he was removing a component and kept repeating "begone, thot" like he had terminal reddit brain

I'm glad I read this thread more than I actually watch youtube

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

just replace OP with this. it's all you need to know about tech tubers

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Arivia posted:

I’m not objecting to Linus getting out of bed rear end naked. It’s obvious from the video (the footage and what he says) that he was at his computer for hours trying to figure this out. I don’t know why his wife, who is also on the footage and is shown going back and forth, didn’t grab him some basic clothes, is all. And I’m not saying it from the perspective of “oh Linus is a manchild” or “it’s her job to help him”, solely seeing another person in distress grab them some basic clothing is all.

its ok to be naked in your house indefinitely you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

it isn't shilling, it's puddle deep reviews of products. it's the same reason people used to make fun of gamespot and ign