Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I love LGR and I think he needs more subscribers. Lots of 90's nostalgia and he's got a great voice that doesn't drawl or screech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQSIT18bOvg

Also just randomly came across the New Screen Savers which I had no idea existed and omg they did a birthday video with a few old cast members from the old show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I found the video that Linus talks about succumbing to clickbait titles and images. It's a pretty interesting take and I can totally get behind it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzRGBAUz5mA

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
You can certainly do a lot worse going with Unbox Therapy or Austin Evans.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I would never watch another unboxing video as long as I live if companies were capable of just clearly stating what comes in the package, and maybe taking a photo of it all like Newegg do/did.

I think there's a certain allure to seeing people unbox new gadgets. They definitely get views that's for sure. And that's before even getting into ASMR unboxing videos, which admittedly are a guilty pleasure.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
For teh views

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I like Nexus for how in depth it is but the guy sounds so disinterested when he speaks. It's like the opposite of Linus. I do enjoy the LMG behind the scenes stuff.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Merv Burger posted:

That would be because he is super libertarian.

I like Rossman's technical capability with component level repairs and I agree with right to repair, but holy gently caress do I just run away immediately whenever he veers away from that.

Yeah, I had never watched anything but his teardown videos, which are really unique because he is great at what he does but holy poo poo does he seem like a tinfoil hat kind of guy sometimes.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
His posture bothers me almost as much as Linus' voice

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
LTT is an tech entertainment channel and shouldn't really be taken for anything more than that. Occasionally they have some sound advice and neat videos but for the most part he knows exactly what he's doing and has shifted away from doing actual reviews and more towards making entertaining and less serious tech stuff. I don't blame him either because it is interesting to see some of these ridiculous projects and such. GNexus is just an underrated analysis channel that holds different values.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Arivia posted:

Speaking of problematic tech youtubers werent the level 1 tech guys chuds or misogynists or something?

Are you thinking of Tek Syndicate instead? Wendell used to be in that

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hix0l8cFaMw

The intro to this video is amazing

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
This is beautiful:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
What they really need is a Linus.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Unbox Therapy continuing to dig holes for themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNmX03BFO1o

TLDW: Pitaka sends UT a phone case for review, UT launches his own "original" phone case (at like $45 a pop), and then tries to hide the fact he tried to contact Pitaka to collaborate, but Pitaka CEO says "lol no you didn't".

This guy also held a giveaway where he said he was giving away a truck full of iPhones, he only did like 12 and then never spoke about it again. He also received a Stadia from Google and promised to have an actual review on its performance but it's been weeks and he hasn't said anything about it, and likely never will.

This guy is just bad.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

mewse posted:

I refuse to watch a half hour video of Linus jerking himself off about how stressed he is

Thanks for the update.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Tuxedo Gin posted:

He's a shill but he'll never approach the shill levels of Unbox Therapy and his 17 million subscriber infomercial channel.

MKBHD at least edits his videos in good ways that isn't just a man at a table talking about A Thing.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

well why not posted:

Just lol if you watch LTT and expect it to be anything more than a fun gently caress around with tech with info / opinion sprinkled throughout. Whole Room Watercooling was like 5 years ago, if you haven't realized at this point that the channel is a little tiny bit not educational i don't know what to say.

He doesn't even pass it off as educational though. He's explicitly said it's for entertainment.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

I haven't seen the clip in question, but I'm guessing it's hooking up a watercooling system to a tap and just letting the other end drain away.
A friend and I joked about doing this 20~ years ago. Recirculating hot water is for losers.
We of course never did it, because it would be obscene
Turns out in this day and age you can make good money making videos about things you only joked about

https://www.youtube.com/user/TechRax/videos

This channel has over 7 million subs, it's also got one of the most underwhelming things I've ever laughed at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RLN_pNuMc0

TLDW: guy fills his pool with Coca Cola, tries doing the mentos trick not realizing the entire time it needs to be held under pressure in order to create anything interesting. He also just pilots a DJI drone into the pool just because.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Wirth1000 posted:

I would 100% buy GN merch if it didn't have loving 'Gamer' in it. I like to play video games as a hobby but I absolutely avoid the toxic sociopathic label that is 'gamer'.

Really wish Steve would just make it 'GN'.

If you actually look at the merch you'll see that a lot of it is in fact just "GN"

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It's buying a tangible item with the chance of something extra. That's not gambling lol

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Didn't he post a picture of himself carrying in a Subway? I can't remember where I saw that.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

Learning about their channel being a money laundering scheme would be getting the most enjoyment out of the channel possible, considering how bad and clickbaity the videos are.

They're that way on purpose and Linus has talked about it in a few videos. Blame the viewers.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It's called thirst trapping, whether by accident or intention. It's like the sexual form of the overused shocked face used in thumbnails.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Is this supposed to be some sort of dig at him? I don't really get the relevance.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I feel like propping up criticism onto his race's stereotype is a bad crutch when the dialogue isn't funny to begin with. Maybe there is some sort of joke I'm missing but it just seems like a thinly veiled way to talk poo poo about something without wanting to seem like the bad guy.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It’s for crypto mining while you drive!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
ASMR is neat once you find something that doesn’t make you uncomfortable. There’s lots of weird poo poo out there for sure, but there’s also lots of normal stuff like unboxing a PS5 while whispering facts about it.

I think the first time I really noticed it was when Nintendo unveiled the Wii-U and Iwata did an unboxing about it. He was so gentle handling it and he’s got a nice voice so it triggered that sort of response for me.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Their older offerings used to always come with some sort of closed loop CPU cooler so seeing a stock one for a system built in 2021 is hilarious.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

MKBHD meanwhile having an actual opinion about things, or are his "reviews" still just presentations?

Less opinions and more presentation and specs. I don't think he's bad, especially with how good his videos look. He just kinda shows it like it is which is fine. I'd watch it over channels like Unbox Therapy any day.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I found it to be a good change of pace from everyone else. A bit dramatic sure but much more watchable than most YouTube.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It's not like these companies aren't accidentally making things obtuse or confusing for customers either. They rely on you getting fed up and just dealing with it rather than issuing a refund or repair request. Wait times, off shore call centers and a pile of menus to churn through aren't just cost saving measures.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

At least wear clothes that fit instead of some formless baggy mess and shorts with gigantically wide legs that go beneath the knees.

It's not that hard to buy a decent pair of jeans or well-cut shorts and a short sleeved shirt or polo shirt. Maybe you won't be the height of fashion, but at least you won't look like you just grabbed something at random from the closet, without turning on the lights.

Who gives a poo poo

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Looks like they're Rainbow sandals, not slippers. :q:

I only know because I wear the same things lol

I do wonder what the long play is going to be for Gigabyte after this because this should make people scrutinize everything they put out, not just power supplies.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Klyith posted:

And also made a joke calling him Steve Urkel, which was the most plausibly racist thing said by the youtubers making videos about it.

How is that racist? Genuine question.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Charles posted:

Have they reviewed a modern Dell workstation / business PC? The Vostro was a workstation build. Or compare it to a consumer build from that era? I seem to recall having a BTX Dell from slightly before that era and liking it but my memory isn't super sharp on that.

I believe the Inspiron, Demension, and early XPS mdoels used BTX. Vostro's basically were rebranded Dimension and Inspiron PCs. Precision was the actual workstation desktop and laptop line and Latitudes the business laptop segment.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

EngineerJoe posted:

Part of the issue with Gamers Nexus is that he is incredibly detailed. The addressable market of nerds who want to see 20 graphs of 30 configurations in a 40 minute video is incredibly small. Linus obviously caters to a more mainstream crowd so I'd expect him to come up with a more mainstream way of distilling all this data.

What if GN went through route of LTT and did more 8 - 15 minute videos that covers a good chunk in more entertaining fashion, but then links to a whitepaper or their detailed analysis. There are definitely people who prefer their approach so there's no reason to not still deliver that, but I think he may be missing out on a large junk of viewers by simply being only long form videos.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I am curious how video delivery works at an as needed basis. So they cache it at edge locations, but how does delivery work if you've got hundreds or thousands of people asking to watch the same episode of a show? Like, are instances created when an episode is queued up and customers connect to it?

Obviously outside of the scope of this thread but just a random thought I've never explored before.

Insurrectionist posted:

As of today, Youtube is plastering recommended movies all over my home page. Is there any nice extension made to get rid of this? I doubt Youtube would be kind enough to let me disable it on their own, even if I don't even watch movies and would certainly not pay Youtube to watch them even if I did.

Freetube for Windows or Newpipe for Android have been good at giving me exactly what I want based off of my subscriptions. Plus you don't actually have to log into a google account.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Tape and tape libraries are one of those things that are like fax - if you're paying someone for eFax services when fax is supported by every modern OS for at least a decade, there's probably other people who'd like to take you to the cleaners.
BareOS is better than whatever enterprise tape backup software you can buy, and it's free.

P. sure they got every drive for free. Not a bad value imo especially for non critical data.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CBD Corndog posted:

3/4 of the dudes in this meeting haven't worked at Newegg for more than a year, and 20 minutes in they've just been blowing smoke and corpo-speak.

Huh? Two of them were under six months while the other two are 3 years and 19 years. I imagine that executive level companies have a hard time keeping people in certain roles for long periods, especially customer related ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I do wonder what other shenanigans have been happening behind the scenes if what destroys the company is withholding a computer from a small streamer.