Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The mean comments video was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLFG068HtgM

Quite possibly the most amusing and informative video about a toaster ever made.

Also the little bit at the end right as the Patreon credits started rolling.......

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Klyith posted:

tl;dr gently caress apple and their fake-rear end luxury brand image

If you want to get really mad... Watch some select videos by Louis Rossman or iPadRehab on Youtube.

They are 3rd party repair places that champion right to repair and also specifically do repair on Apple products. They definitely have nothing nice to say about Apple and their repair policies.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My eyes! MY EYES!!!

What have you done!?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Do they do anything besides LTT videos? Or are they at a point where it's all self sustained, i.e. just make videos about making youtube videos or the equipment to do it.

It has been mentioned they also produce videos/commercials for other companies in the PC hardware market...

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Can someone give me the TLDR on this this apparent Nvidia situation that is going on?

Not really been paying much attention...

stevewm
May 10, 2005

priznat posted:

Fun fact: EVGA modular cable ports can have Corsair modular cables plugged in, with NOT compatible pinouts and potentially disastrous results! Not an issue for most people but in a lab where there is a mix of them.. well.. Thankfully nothing major blew up :haw:

I fried 3 256gb SSDs because of this.

Was given a EVGA 1000w modular.

Had cables that looked identical. Except I didn't catch that some of the SATA modular cables were for a different PSU. They fed 12v into the 5v SATA pin.

The one mechanical drive somehow survived and even worked with 12v being fed into it's 5v input.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
https://twitter.com/benheck/status/1428190548570038273?s=19

He has went full chud....

stevewm
May 10, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

LTT did a video about using a regular-rear end x86 desktop to act as a DIY router - it never occurred to me that the computing involved in acting as a router could be done by a consumer CPU, but it makes a ton of sense now that I've seen it in action

and it tickles the brain because I already have a dedicated router all of my own, and trying to do it their way would almost certainly take up more space and more power, and I live in such a small home that I'd never actually need that kind of firepower, but I'm already day-dreaming about repurposing some of my old parts in storage and doing it myself, you know?

Actually this has been a thing for a while. There are several open-source projects specifically for it. And it actually takes quite little power. There are even purpose made computers for it, like this for example: https://www.amazon.com/Fanless-Gigabit-Firewall-Appliance-Computer/dp/B09J4H9ZXY/ Basically any x86 machine with 2 or more NICs can be a router.

Some of the major projects for this are pfSense, and OPNSense. (both based on FreeBSD) Personally I have used pfSense for several years. It is considerably more stable than any consumer router I have ever used. I run mine on a tiny industrial PC with a Intel i3-4xxx series laptop CPU. That much power is complete overkill for the purpose. I can saturate my 1Gb/1Gb fiber connection and CPU usage barely breaks 9% in pfSense.

Initial configuration is a bit more than a consumer level device, but there is no ongoing maintenance, other than updates.

pfSense can also do wifi with a compatible wifi adapter. But many end up using a separate AP for that. (I use UniFi)

stevewm
May 10, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Done that way, as long as you aren't utilizing a core 100%, you're still getting the excellent low-power properties of an ARM chip,...

I was quite surprised at how little power my i3 system uses. It only clocks in at 9-13 watts.

That is ~$11 per year at my average electric rates of 12 cents/kWh.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

If it's mostly idle, the PCH probably accounts for 5 of those 9-13W.

If you gotta have a soft router, something based on a SoC chip is better.
If it's gotta be x86, I'd argue Xeon D-(1|2)700 is interesting - if it wasn't so loving expensive.

Seems a bit overkill for home use. For typical home use, even at 1Gbit, even a lowly Celeron j1900 is more than enough; that used to be the go to CPU for miniPCs built for router use. It kind of fell out of favor when the pfSense project announced a CPU with AES-NI extensions was going to be a requirement in a future release. A requirement they have since backed off on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

If you're only doing soft router, sure Xeon D-1700 is overkill - but if I go that route again, I'll want to consolidate my existing homeserver setup into one machine.

That way, I can leave the rest of my homelab powered off, unless I need it.

Ah, yes.. that would make sense in that case.