Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://steamcommunity.com/app/527430

Ooh look it's another Warhammer 40,000 game! Games Workshop just throws their Warhammer I.P. to the wind and literally lets anyone with a Full Sail education create a game. Most of the time you get pure garbage, but every once in awhile you get something that is legitimately good. That is this game. Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr started as an Early Access / Kickstarter but is now finished and in 1.0.1. The developers appear to care deeply about this game and are dedicated to at the very least heavily support it into late summer with a pretty impressive road map:

quote:

A series of Global Events will introduce the Warzone within ~1 month
Within the Warzone, players will be able to unlock active and passive skills via Endless leveling
These events will have a global community goal and a permanent effect on the game world
The Warzone also allows players to farm keys used for fighting a Nemesys boss
After the Warzone, the second Subsector will be unlocked through an event
This will increase maximum level cap, introduce a new faction, new items, perks, enchants, quests, and more.
More and more Season updates will come as the game progresses along, providing free content throughout the lifespan of the game.

My time with the game so far has been limited but I have been very impressed with the quality, the way loot works, and the setting. My biggest gripe thus far though has been the controls. You will want to adjust your keyboard layout for personal preference. If you play a class that uses guns, I recommend using WASD keys for movement rather then your mouse, disable that in the options menu so you use your mouse only for firing. This does not have the best movement controls for an ARPG, but I personally have been able to overlook this with time and practice.

Inquisitor - Martyr is also a little bit janky and unintuitive. How much you're willing to overlook this will depend on how much you like ARPGs and the Warhammer 40,000 setting. For me personally, I am willing to overlook some of the weirder gameplay mechanics and UI quirks because I really believe in the developer and their willingness and goals to update the game and support it. This could potentially be one of the next big ARPGs and that is very exciting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

It's always online, if the servers are down you can't play which was the case for the release day.

It's shittily optimised, I can play gta5 at a stable 30+ on my shitbox, but this can't break 15fps with everything on low?

The loading times? hooooly poo poo, they're in gta5 territory too, but instead of loading a whole environment kilometres across, its a few corridors.

I've nearly hit 2 hours with it on steam, I've actually played about 5 minutes of gameplay.

I wanted to like this, it repeatedly kicked me in the dick, I'm probably refunding it.

Pound_Coin fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 10, 2018

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Just lmao at removing the coop campaign from release for "story line" purposes. Straight up, kiss my rear end.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

You know what.

Buy Helldivers instead. Because that's where it feels like it cribbed it's hub+missions layout from

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
You're not terribly wrong, it DOES have a lot of a Helldivers feel to it so far. To be fair I've barely gotten through the tutorial missions, so far. But having a Helldivers feel isn't a bad thing, and I confess that I'm a sucker for the WH40K flavor. I'll be setting up a Cabal for goons soonish.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I'm hesitant to buy another non tactical Warhammer game after how Deathwing EE turned out. The game looks pretty good after seeing that Valraak guy play some but I'm going to need a bit more to go on, especially for 40-50 bucks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If you are having frame rate issues, the devs mentioned on the Steam forums that if you change your mouse cursor size in-game from medium to small this will actually increase your frame rate. Players were commenting that it doubled their FPS at least. No idea why this would happen.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
For a warhammer 40K game its decent,

As an ARPG game, it feels like Grim Dawn with more weapon variation (Though I would say Grim Dawn is better).

It's definitely slower paced, but I'm playing on challenge mode and its just hitting the right level of difficulty for me, and the warhammer 40k theme is seeing me through.

Sounds like the developer is going to continue to support it, so thats good!

Also obligatory "loving what?" in response to no story coop

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Goon cabal is named "Chapel13". I'll be on a lot for approving joins, just send a message here or in-game.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
Really liking this game. It's scratching the aRPG itch for me and getting me interested in the W40k universe that's for sure!

Cobbsprite posted:

Goon cabal is named "Chapel13". I'll be on a lot for approving joins, just send a message here or in-game.

You got it!

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Cobbsprite posted:

I'd like in, but you have Recruitment Closed so I have no idea how to join

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
I've got this.

The tutorial does not do the game any favors. It is clunky, it is easy, and the real difficulty doesn't hit until you're a few missions past the tutorial. I was VERY close to refunding before the difficulty started ramping up and the combat started getting a little more fun.

Overall, the game could do with a bit more polish and some of the decisions are kind of questionable, the talking head windows, the way you explore the RPG elements of the game, but, the combat is... not bad? I enjoy the combat in this 1,000 times more than Space Marine's.

Judging it against other aRPGs, I can't really recommend. Judging it against other Warhammer 40k games, this is one of the better ones. It's not perfect, but the world looks 40k. The enemies are 40k. The sounds are there. The terminology is there. If the devs continue to support and improve upon it, it could get real good.

I just wish that the voice acting was anywhere close to Dawn of War.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I've got this.

The tutorial does not do the game any favors. It is clunky, it is easy, and the real difficulty doesn't hit until you're a few missions past the tutorial. I was VERY close to refunding before the difficulty started ramping up and the combat started getting a little more fun.

Overall, the game could do with a bit more polish and some of the decisions are kind of questionable, the talking head windows, the way you explore the RPG elements of the game, but, the combat is... not bad? I enjoy the combat in this 1,000 times more than Space Marine's.

Judging it against other aRPGs, I can't really recommend. Judging it against other Warhammer 40k games, this is one of the better ones. It's not perfect, but the world looks 40k. The enemies are 40k. The sounds are there. The terminology is there. If the devs continue to support and improve upon it, it could get real good.

I just wish that the voice acting was anywhere close to Dawn of War.

I loved how my assassin was incredulous when she submitted a report and instead of it being three years she got a response immediately. She accused the imperium administration of corruption.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I said come in! posted:

If you are having frame rate issues, the devs mentioned on the Steam forums that if you change your mouse cursor size in-game from medium to small this will actually increase your frame rate. Players were commenting that it doubled their FPS at least. No idea why this would happen.

Did that, I'm getting a whopping 10fps at the mission select screen.

I was curious so I just timed it, from launching the game to hitting the main menu, skipping all the logos/cutscenes took 3:48, nearly 4 minutes to load just the very first newgame/load game menu. On hitting continue game, the game took a further 3:05 to load just the mission select screen.

7 minutes of loading for two very basic menus? before you've even started to play the drat game. Game runs worse than arma, squad, gta5, literally any other highly system intensive game I can run fine, but this? total slideshow, when I even have the patience to even get as far as gameplay.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Exmond posted:

I loved how my assassin was incredulous when she submitted a report and instead of it being three years she got a response immediately. She accused the imperium administration of corruption.

I remember getting the mission in the tutorial where it told me to release the Guardsmen from the cultist cages, and my immediate thought was, "No way an inquisitor doesn't just throw a grenade into the pen."

A few minutes later I looted a box and turned around to see my Guardsmen ablaze for no reason, and I just stood there going, "Why are my Guardsmen on fire?" :thunk:

I was kind of surprised when your inquisitor and the space marine you rescued didn't get involved in a paranoia-fueled standoff. "I'm from the inquisition. I can't tell you why or what I'm doing. Who are you?" "I'm ALSO from the inquisition, from a secret sect you've never heard of."

I haven't gotten far enough into the story to really judge, but it is... OK? And the voice acting/dialogue gets a bit better as it progresses. The difference between the acting in the tutorial and what immediately follows shows improvement already.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Exmond posted:

I'd like in, but you have Recruitment Closed so I have no idea how to join

You send a request that has to be accepted before you're in, I think? I can't actually see, because I'm founder.

But I opened it up, so now everyone can join. Just send a message about being goony at some point, so you don't get the boot in your Inquisitorial bunghole.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

Pound_Coin posted:

Did that, I'm getting a whopping 10fps at the mission select screen.

I was curious so I just timed it, from launching the game to hitting the main menu, skipping all the logos/cutscenes took 3:48, nearly 4 minutes to load just the very first newgame/load game menu. On hitting continue game, the game took a further 3:05 to load just the mission select screen.

7 minutes of loading for two very basic menus? before you've even started to play the drat game. Game runs worse than arma, squad, gta5, literally any other highly system intensive game I can run fine, but this? total slideshow, when I even have the patience to even get as far as gameplay.

Curious, you running on some 5400 rpm drive? On an SSD it's really a matter of 10 seconds most on really any load screen, the worst wait is when playing with someone: Finding server.....

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Cobbsprite posted:

You send a request that has to be accepted before you're in, I think? I can't actually see, because I'm founder.

But I opened it up, so now everyone can join. Just send a message about being goony at some point, so you don't get the boot in your Inquisitorial bunghole.

in as didunoel (whoops. SwordandBoard)

also the shrinking the cursor seemed to work for me. I have everything on high and get anywhere from 30-60 fps. bit of a spike but I'm not concerned.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Delpino posted:

Curious, you running on some 5400 rpm drive? On an SSD it's really a matter of 10 seconds most on really any load screen, the worst wait is when playing with someone: Finding server.....

You'd think, but no, it's on SSD. I'll admit I'm on a mid-tier system i5@3.5, 8GB RAM & and 970 4GB, but I clear all the min req's comfortably, yet the game runs like utter rear end on the lowest of low settings, I think I'll shelf if for now while I'm still under the 2 hour refund limit, check it out in a patch or twos time and decide then.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

noELrunes posted:

in as didunoel (whoops. SwordandBoard)

also the shrinking the cursor seemed to work for me. I have everything on high and get anywhere from 30-60 fps. bit of a spike but I'm not concerned.

Yeah, it does have you in as didunoel. Promoted to Lord so you can accept requests, too.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Hey what are Cabal directives? Like do they rank up our cabal?

Also are cabal invites character specific, or account specific? If I make a new character will they be part of the cabal?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
This game is cool and does a great job of doing WH40k. But it sure does have a lot of weird buggy stuff going on. I had some strange situation where the post-mission cinematic of the conversation between my character and the rogue trader was playing at the same time as I was going through all the other post-mission menus, like the overview screen and some little blurbs that gave me points. Just a bunch of stuff happening all at once.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I think this is the best summary.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I dunno I really dig the game. Just something about the over the top weapons of 40k makes it more fun than stuff like van helsing and the like. I've been playing off and on since the beta and they seem to be progressing pretty well. The developers are committed at least.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They supported Van Helsing well beyond what any sane expectations would have been, and by (available to us) accounts Martyr is already beating Van Helsing's pants off in money for them, so I'd expect a pretty long tail on this game.

I don't think it's perfect, I don't think it's even great, but it's just solidly good with some problems that are all solvable and none of which massively detract from I AM AN INQUISITOR GET hosed CHAOS/XENOS.

Is it worth $45 in its current state? If you're a massive Warhammer nerd, probably. If you're a massive ARPG nerd, maybe maybe not.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm in LLJK but it only has 4 members, does the other goon cabal have more members?

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

I'm in LLJK but it only has 4 members, does the other goon cabal have more members?

Are you referring to cabal13? We had 6 last i checked as of last night. Haven't been on today though.

As for snyposis ive played for 20 hours and it seems okay. The tutorial for their other stuff needs to be addressed otherwise i was just experimenting. Ill probably do a tarot run to get some credits up. I hope they address co-op also although i dont mins the randomness of it since its free glory, fate and credits.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

Just lmao at removing the coop campaign from release for "story line" purposes. Straight up, kiss my rear end.

I bought this game super early during it's EA period. Back last september you could do the few story missions coop and it was buggy as all hell. Only one person would ever get XP, sometimes no items dropped at all, it's pretty clear they just said f it and gave up.

This game really needed another 6 months to a year in development. It's clear they were pushed to launch now, but the game is still buggy as hell. Tons of artifacts on certain maps, bugged multiplayer, problems with certain video cards, bad servers, talents that don't work, relics that don't work, and a ton of balancing issues. The Assassin and Psycher are significantly stronger than the Crusader, and crit build is far and away the best build for every class.

All that being said, it's still kinda fun? The story wasn't bad, and the setting is cool. You're also done with the story by your late 20's, and then you can do everything else multiplayer (in theory) till 50.

Frustrated fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 11, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I enjoy the fact that if I so wish, I can completely ignore the cover system and just go in.

Character wise, I don't dislike the classes, but I do kind of dislike the inquisitors because they're rather stoic compared to say, any "character" from Dawn of War. I keep wishing I could play as a Commissar or a Black Templar or a Catachan Guard or Ogryns or something. I get why that isn't the case, though. I just want more bombastic screaming.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Having read the Eisenhorn trilogy, the Inquisitors are the best characters because what if Mulder & Scully were Space Catholics

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really wish this I.P. could fall into the hands of a developer with serious resources and develop an action RPG where we can play other races. Would love an RPG where we could play as Orks, Eldar, or Necrons.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I just want something 40k where the dark eldar are more than an afterthought.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hypothetically Dark Eldar are the next enemy coming in this game. They have them on the road map.

That being said, the biggest problem with 40k games is they always start with the boring races, and then everything falls apart before they get to the less common ones. DoW 1 and 2 are the only 40k games to ever deliver more than just the boring Space Marines, Eldar, Chaos, maybe orks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Warhammer Online was awesome because it had a whole bunch of different races you could play as.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

ToxicSlurpee posted:

YESSSS, that would be great

Especially the new design stuff since Dawn of War had them in the crappy looking 3rd/4th era

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I want a game that's Brutal Legend meets Shadows of Mordor where you play an Ork on a quest to become the Waughest Warboss.

Orks are the best race and the fact that they don't get more titles is baffling.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Cobbsprite posted:

Applied to this cabal with same name as on here.

Filthy scum
Jul 7, 2003

Cobbsprite posted:

clicked apply (as TrollingThunder).

Also this game is in serious need for some optimization, as stated earlier in the thread.
I found that alt-tabbing made it go back to 60fps, for whatever reason :shrug:

As for loading times, I found it to be screaming fast.. but then again I've got a shitton of ram and nvme drives :shobon:

Filthy scum fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 11, 2018

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Updating all confirmed goons to LORD status, feel free to add folks who apply for now. When we get close to the size cap, it'll be time to confirm goon status or give the randos the boot.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cobbsprite posted:

Cool, just left LLJK and applied to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Cobbsprite posted:

My in-game name is Meat Magician, I'll submit soon an application for the cabal.

I played a lot of Path of Exile in the past, and the only reason that made me leave that good ARPG was the theme. I can't stand pure fantasy anymore, I'm just a big science fiction nerd.
And that's why I love Inquisitor Martyr: I'm not even a huge WH40K fan, but I just love it because it fills that sweet spot for me of good science fiction ARPG.
It's really clunky at the moment, but the Devs seems very dedicated to improve the game in the long run, and I think with the huge WH40K universe lore the potential to become a great ARPG are there.
We'll see in the next few months if the game will improve or not, but right now I'm havin hella fun playin' Inquisitor Martyr! :dukedog: