Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
hahahaha so that's why I lost last time :allears:

edit: :toot: first win

there's a bunch of other stuff (and lots more exploring) I want to try now

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I’m really excited to play this since I like Bronze Age stuff, but I’m not big on the Runequest system.

You don’t actually play as a mortal in this game just as a disembodied governing force right?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

DalaranJ posted:

I’m really excited to play this since I like Bronze Age stuff, but I’m not big on the Runequest system.

You don’t actually play as a mortal in this game just as a disembodied governing force right?

correct

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DalaranJ posted:

Yep! It's mostly turn-based simulation (where you do exactly one thing a turn) with interactive fiction events.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Glorantha brings a whole new meaning to "spin to win".

Does the magic attribute benefit ventures?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

Glorantha brings a whole new meaning to "spin to win".

Does the magic attribute benefit ventures?

Depends on the venture! I think! Obviously e.g. ceremony is gonna be super magic centric, and ivory crafts not so much.

The auto-selected leader is usually a good choice for the venture, but I think it might weight deity a bit too heavily.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
It's worth noting, sometimes a venture can fail, but you'll still get some benefit from it. It seems to be mostly true of the crafting ventures, for instance. Others, like finishing houses, have a more negative fail state.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Can someone do a lore dump on these new gods ?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

BlindGuy posted:

It's worth noting, sometimes a venture can fail, but you'll still get some benefit from it. It seems to be mostly true of the crafting ventures, for instance. Others, like finishing houses, have a more negative fail state.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to spend magic on harmony next time so I can finish houses properly.

Who has the easiest ritual story?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to spend magic on harmony next time so I can finish houses properly.

Who has the easiest ritual story?

I thought the cow one was really easy. Also I tried it again and failed it and nobody died and there didn't seem to be any serious consequences besides -Mood and -Magic

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah cow one doesn't seem bad. I didn't finish it but it was pretty tame.

Also, if you put off doing rituals for too long, it pisses the gods off. Nice pressure mechanic.. I believe it's expected that you'll do one every seven years. Also, anybody know if doing them annually is a bad thing like in the first game? I'm gonna assume yes.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
I always found "Taming the River", to be pretty easy. THere's multiple ways to pass each station and you can just pick a generally upstanding noble for it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

BlindGuy posted:

I always found "Taming the River", to be pretty easy. THere's multiple ways to pass each station and you can just pick a generally upstanding noble for it.

I don't know which god has that one.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Elmal on the path wasn’t too bad what with being an Elmal clan.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

DalaranJ posted:

I'm ashamed to say I don't remember, either ELmal or Hyalor. It's probably one of the first ones you'll want to do, just because river crossing is a pain otherwise.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

it's Elmal's dead son or something , you get it through him

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I guess Elmal is our second most important god, maybe I shouldn’t be ignoring him.

Anyway, I succeeded at cowquest, even though my shaman was incompetent.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BlindGuy posted:

The Black Eel taming, as stated, is easier.

I had a pretty badass noble almost fail the Oslira one.

admittedly i did insist on the storyline answers rather than "have sex with the dragon", maybe that would have gone better

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I totally forgot this was a thing. I loving loved KODP when it first came out on iOS. Those loving ducks.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
All I'm going to say is I immediately pissed off the Weeders and that was a terrible mistake so far.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Chewbot posted:

All I'm going to say is I immediately pissed off the Weeders and that was a terrible mistake so far.

I raided them for their pearl with no consequences and have been really nice to them ever since because I have a gut feeling about them lol. Also thinking back that Pearl may have been what secured an easy victory in the river-crossing hero quest

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

goferchan posted:

I raided them for their pearl with no consequences and have been really nice to them ever since because I have a gut feeling about them lol. Also thinking back that Pearl may have been what secured an easy victory in the river-crossing hero quest

that pearl is completely nuts, a fair contender for the best treasure i've seen so far, but i'm also pretty sure annoying them is what got a hilarious exploration event for me that I responded to entirely incorrectly, whereupon i got completely owned

if an immortal giant riverhag asks if you're a god requests the loan of one of your nobles, you say yes

even if your explorer noble says "I am very good at shooting arrows at things :downs:"

"don't gently caress with the water dudes" is a proud tradition even if these don't have bills and feathers

Edit: they also definitely can send fucky spirits against you, but that's more a nuisance.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 29, 2018

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Can some lorehead explain the links between yelm, elmal, and yelmalio?

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
You can go to the lore tab in-game, click Deities and then there's another button in the upper right for expanded deity info.

But to answer the question, Yelm is the old "Zeus-like" of this setting, the Sun Emperor who ruled the world before Orlanth killed him (a prominent KoDP god). Elmal is the current sun/war god and son of Yelm. Yelmalio is also (mistakenly) considered another son of Yelm, sort of, but is more accurately a variation of Yelm himself who has lost his powers and rebranded.

At least, that's my limited knowledge of the situation.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

andrew smash posted:

Can some lorehead explain the links between yelm, elmal, and yelmalio?

Yelm: great emperor of the sun, kind of a big deal. Orlanth whacking him was a significant factor in the Great Darkness because, you know, no more sun.
Elmal: Guardian and lieutenant of Yelm until he defected to Orlanth after Ernalda healed his blindness led him astray. In Six Ages, your tribe venerates him as Yelm's approximately-regent and/or an aspect of Yelm and the Rams are dumb and wrong when they say that he betrayed / will someday betray the good guys.
Yelmalio: a son of Yelm and/or secondary aspect of him, and is totally not Elmal and obviously has no relationship with him other than pops employing Elmal for a while. Got smacked down by the baddest-rear end Trollgod, and any myths that say it was Elmal who got smacked down are confused. Also, he is not a Hyaloring god at this point in history, so everything I just said is false and he doesn't exist, unless he's Little Yelm in (for example) the Nyalda myth, at which point he's a minor son of Yelm nobody much cares about.

edit totally forgot that elmal is also a yelm kiddo

double edit also the rams are always dumb and wrong and we all know this, i just wanted to reiterate it for emphasis in the elmal bit

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 29, 2018

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
RIP my raven worshipper, he seemed to just get increasingly horny until he died.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I have not figured out combat yet, my dudes are getting repeatedly and thoroughly owned

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

andrew smash posted:

I have not figured out combat yet, my dudes are getting repeatedly and thoroughly owned

get a better warleader

also get an elmal blessing, my personal favorite is the one that doubles your Swords' fightiness

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yelm: great emperor of the sun, kind of a big deal. Orlanth whacking him was a significant factor in the Great Darkness because, you know, no more sun.
Elmal: Guardian and lieutenant of Yelm until he defected to Orlanth after Ernalda healed his blindness led him astray. In Six Ages, your tribe venerates him as Yelm's approximately-regent and/or an aspect of Yelm and the Rams are dumb and wrong when they say that he betrayed / will someday betray the good guys.
Yelmalio: a son of Yelm and/or secondary aspect of him, and is totally not Elmal and obviously has no relationship with him other than pops employing Elmal for a while. Got smacked down by the baddest-rear end Trollgod, and any myths that say it was Elmal who got smacked down are confused. Also, he is not a Hyaloring god at this point in history, so everything I just said is false and he doesn't exist, unless he's Little Yelm in (for example) the Nyalda myth, at which point he's a minor son of Yelm nobody much cares about.

double edit also the rams are always dumb and wrong and we all know this, i just wanted to reiterate it for emphasis in the elmal bit

In the period of time most of the RPGs will take place, Yelmalio worship has basically subsumed Elmal after some questing by a man called Monrogh, who discovered that Yelmalio was the real one and Elmal is just an aspect or misunderstanding. Or it's just that shifting to a similar cult is a good way to maintain traditions but get more power and respect. In the latest edition of Runequest, there's no mention of Elmal, but Yelmalio gets a full writeup.

That said the game refers to Elmal specfically, so it's probably departing the canon to make things more consistent for KODP players.

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!
One of my favourite aspects of the game are the many (!) little sun gods who make an appearance. If you've done Elmal Guards the Sunpath, you know what I mean. ;)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's also important to remember that the Gods are subject to the same types of cultural/religious drift as real world theology, there's definitely some kind of power connected to the sun but there isn't any TRUE explanation, the God Learners knew that (I sincerely hope that in a later game we can God Learn and use rituals to gently caress around with the nature of the gods), so Yelm, Elmal, Yelmalio are p. clearly the same god but with different cultural baggage attached.

Like how Jesus means a lot of different things to different people.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The good thing about joining the God War/heroquesting that I've noticed is that if there are 3 challenges and you pass the first two but fail the last one then it seems like you still pass.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I really wish the game used icloud save integration. Guess I’ll just have to run two clans simultaneously

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Okay. I can deal with gods now.

But how do I deal with people? To start with, how do I start trading? Is there a venture to create a marketplace?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

Okay. I can deal with gods now.

But how do I deal with people? To start with, how do I start trading? Is there a venture to create a marketplace?

Your marketplace autocreates when you establish a trade route and expands as you get more.

The Wealth tab lets you look at your treasures and send caravans. To establish a route, instead of telling your dude to "sell X, buy Y", toggle the button to "Establish Route". You'll also get a small profit from doing so. Also, your first trading expedition to any given clan gets a big bonus (especially if it's buysell but you have to weigh that against getting routes up pronto), and if you send a caravan to all of each type of clan you increase your trade route cap by 1 permanently.

Diplomacy is handled in a similar way through the Relations tab, Send Emissary. Sending an emissary to every type of clan boosts your alliance cap by 1 permanently, and much like war and trade, if you don't send at least one emissary out to somebody every couple years you'll take a minor hit. If you don't launch at least one raid every couple years people think you're a wuss, if you don't send at least one caravan or one emissary every couple years people think you're not serious about trade / diplomacy and you'll potentially lose a trade route / lose some positive relations.

Emissaries are also how you request the repayment of favors.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there more to combat than randomly mashing options and hoping decisions appear?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

victrix posted:

Is there more to combat than randomly mashing options and hoping decisions appear?

The manual has a bit more information, but:

- If you're known as a scary clan or fighting one that fears you, intimidate is great
- If you're massively outnumbered, probably fight cautiously
- If you massively outnumber the foe, fight aggressively and try to run them out of dudes
- If your warleader is great or you get a message saying your warleader is better than theirs, fight cleverly

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

How do you delete a save/clan?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

How do you delete a save/clan?

when you can see it on the list, hit the edit button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

for tabletop stuff they did do a 13th Age version somewhat recently (which I haven't played but looked pretty decent)