Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Witcher 3 is just a GTA reskin.

I'm super hype for this, CDPR have a pretty spotless track record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Donnerberg posted:

Gibson isn't coming after this game specifically. He has a bone to pick with how cyberpunk is portrayed in general. He fawns over Blade Runner in interviews, so he likes 'em real dirty and drab. C2077s bright palette and neon mohawks probably triggered him. Deus Ex would be more his thing.

Regardless, I'm totally up for GTA Blood Dragon.

Seems like his complaint should be about Cyberpunk 2020 since it appears to me it's a relatively faithful adaptation.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

Here's a cool video I found via rope kid twitter where a guy compares/connects stuff in the trailer to the original sourcebook material. Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIavK76ZeNU&t=787s

He says essential/essentially too much. But it's still a good vid

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Gonna play this like the GTA2 sequel I never got, sorry Gibson.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
I'll be happy with a Cyberpunk GTA.

I'd have been happier with a Cyberpunk GTA with RPG mechanics leveling and depth. That being said, CDPR is dope and I trust them to make a good game. Looks neaterino so far.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

No Mods No Masters posted:

Here's a cool video I found via rope kid twitter where a guy compares/connects stuff in the trailer to the original sourcebook material. Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIavK76ZeNU&t=787s

Cool I've been looking for something like this.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I don't really know anything about the setting so that was good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I mean, yeah, old school cyberpunk is quaint and retro these days. You either have to lean hard into the retro like this game or go for the contemporary approach, which would be Watch Dogs 2.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Seems weird to introduce us to a place called “Night City” mainly in the day. Still looks fantastic though.

I think they did it to get all the whining about "wow an open-world RPG has daytime" out of the way right from the start.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 11, 2018

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Megazver posted:

I mean, yeah, cyberpunk is quaint and retro these days. It's either leaning hard into the retro like this or the contemporary approach, which would be Watch Dogs 2.

I think they did it to get all the whining about "wow an open-world RPG has daytime" out of the way right from the start.

Gibson's vision of the near future is very focused on urban decay\re purposing, everything is kind of in a rut. Think more bare brick and wiring, places where the elevator stopped working like 50 years ago, or an old abandoned mall that's now a street market. His characters are similar, they're very noir outsider nobodies who stumble into really unpleasant poo poo. It's not really surprising that he loves Bladerunner's post nuclear war dusty neon and isn't up on more flashy poo poo. I'd probably be less excited for this personally if I didn't trust Cyberpunk 2020's setting and CD Projeckt to lean in to the, well PUNK in Cyberpunk. There's no point to this poo poo without a sense of ruthless, fatalistic struggle

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I thought Gibson's stuff mellowed out significantly after Neuromancer, though it has been years since I read anything of his and my memory is foggy. Less fatalistic struggles and more classic happy ends?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not really, though some of it is less brutal than the Sprawl.

Gibson's thing is he always hated the label cyberpunk, he thinks turning it into a genre undercut the entire thing, and he doesn't like when stuff just uses the aesthetics without getting what he and the other writers were trying to do. They were trying to shake out of genre conventions and got turned into a new genre convention.

It's just a CGI trailer that shows nothing about the game other than 80's style cyberpunk aesthetics, so it's not like he's wrong. I'm sure there's more to it and it won't actually resemble GTA at all, but it's not like anyone knows anything about the game yet.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Grand Fromage posted:

Not really, though some of it is less brutal than the Sprawl.

Gibson's thing is he always hated the label cyberpunk, he thinks turning it into a genre undercut the entire thing, and he doesn't like when stuff just uses the aesthetics without getting what he and the other writers were trying to do. They were trying to shake out of genre conventions and got turned into a new genre convention.

It's just a CGI trailer that shows nothing about the game other than 80's style cyberpunk aesthetics, so it's not like he's wrong. I'm sure there's more to it and it won't actually resemble GTA at all, but it's not like anyone knows anything about the game yet.

There's going to be way more to it. It's a dark setting and this is the Witcher team. It's gonna be great man. I'm so pumped.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oh I'm sure. I just don't think Gibson's criticism matters much, he's busy writing books and being cool and probably knew literally nothing about this before seeing that trailer. I don't think people should take it all that seriously.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The content of his comment wasn’t bad or necessarily untrue, but the framing/intent behind it comes across as catty and sniping. Anyone else plan on making a punk rock Geralt?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's just a CGI trailer

I mean... All game footage is CGI. This looked as if it was at least in-engine.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Please rename this thread's subtitle to "The release date is right in the name" so that people can stop asking!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Saw a lot of Mike Pondsmith's style in that trailer. loving excellent. Pumped.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

They literally worked with the guy who created the original Cyberpunk game in order to stay true to the genre, so his comments are just badly misinformed.

Great interview about the project here:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/07/12/cyberpunk-2077-mike-pondsmith-interview/

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Speaking of, Pondsmith doesn’t truck with using cyberpunk aesthetic without also having what at least Pondsmith considers the root story characteristics of the genre, and he’s been advising CDPR, so I’m optimistic the game ultimately won’t be something just wearing its influences in the art design and game mechanics.

edit: yeah, what Chalks said

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Chalks posted:

They literally worked with the guy who created the original Cyberpunk game in order to stay true to the genre, so his comments are just badly misinformed.

Great interview about the project here:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/07/12/cyberpunk-2077-mike-pondsmith-interview/

Yeah this. It's going to be amazing. The density of the franchise and the developer. It's a density showdown. I can't wait. I am hype to the same level as seeing a naked hospital patient in The Phantom Pain.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Also before we move on from Gibson, I think it's pretty cool that Cyberpunk as a genre (and Gibson himself) exist(ed?) in the history of the setting. It's a bit on the nose having everyone going "hey I guess things are cyberpunk now, right?" but it's cute.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Comrade Fakename posted:

Seems weird to introduce us to a place called “Night City” mainly in the day. Still looks fantastic though.

Umm actually it's called Night City because it was founded by a guy called Night, much in the same way Quiet wears no clothes so she can breathe.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Saw the E3 vid and suddenly cared about this game.

Please CDPR, everything else is poo poo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Wrap it up boys, game's bad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Why are you posting random Twitter takes?

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
Oh man that dude's louvered taillights are a perfect marriage of Testarossa and 560SEC, they're incredible.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost

Here's hoping the car is named Roach!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Hahaha just this morning I picked up Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams to read.

That trailer was loving great. Here's hoping I can roll a bald, psychotic journalist who can make people poo poo themselves to death.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Jack Trades posted:

Wrap it up boys, game's bad.

He has a point in that the trailer seems to go for the lowest denominator as it looks like yet another ''shoot lots of stuff to get :10bux: to buy bigger guns'' type of game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ll rewatch, but I don’t remember all that much shooting in the trailer.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's a tone trailer. It doesn't show poo poo other than how the game's setting should feel.

Gibson has been bitching about almost literally everything cyberpunk that isn't his for years, maybe don't give his opinion much weight.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Steve2911 posted:

I mean... All game footage is CGI. This looked as if it was at least in-engine.

It says “game engine footage” at the very beginning.

There are two scenes in the trailer with gunfire: a single shot in the store being robbed, and a bunch in the hovership fight.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Subjunctive posted:

True,but the entire tone of the trailer screams that you are going to be shooting stuff to progress a lot. I really do not expect it to be a game where you can avoid combat 90% of the time through other means, or a game where combat isnt the focus of the gameplay. But who knows, maybe CDPR surprises me.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
More interested in the melee myself.

If you can't make yourself bulletproof and have Wolverine claws is it even a Cyberpunk game?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's a tone trailer. It doesn't show poo poo other than how the game's setting should feel.

Gibson has been bitching about almost literally everything cyberpunk that isn't his for years, maybe don't give his opinion much weight.

Yea he's a grouchy old fart.
Few years ago he was all "oh man loving cyberpunk, what was I thinking?" But like... it happened. We're living in it right now. It's just a bit more dreary and unstylish is all.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Drunken Baker posted:

More interested in the melee myself.

If you can't make yourself bulletproof and have Wolverine claws is it even a Cyberpunk game?

Install skinweave and rippers. Or give yourself cyberarms with hydraulic rams. Augment your fingers with slice n' dice perhaps? Don't forget muscle & bone lace.

Or spend a lot more and transplant your brain into a gemini full body chassis.

Melee was definitely a thing in CP2020 and should reappear in spades for 2077. Brutal and nasty. Dismemberment fun for all the family.

Would sir or madam care to purchase a monowhip? A spitting cobra? Cyberjaw?

I'm going to totally brush over cyberpsychosis but you can bet the lady in the original trailer went nuts because of it. Lets just say you want to maximize your empathy if you want to maximize your metal.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 11, 2018

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I hope there's third person play so I can see the badass chrome I'll be slapping on at every opportunity.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Glad this game is finally real and shaking my head at everybody complaining it's not dim, dark, and dank enough.

Just cause the sun exists doesn't mean they've abandoned the the core themes of the genre. I'm pretty sure optimistic cyberpunk ceases to be cyberpunk.

Also I am pretty sure you can customize your character so the boilerplate-looking protagonist isn't even an issue.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
They're saving the night time reveal for when they're confident our eyes can handle that much neon.