Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Here's Poulter's implosion, right on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
1 putt triple after hitting the frairway on a par 4 haha

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

where's the guy from the Masters thread who said he played HS/amateur golf against Matt Parziale, the firefighter who won the Mid-Am?

because unlike Tiger, Rory, Sergio, or Bubba, Parziale's going to play the weekend at the National Championship.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Phil is still alive!

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

RCarr posted:

It's been absolutely flawless for me and I've watched every minute of coverage. :shrug:

Did you end up putting money on anyone? I told you to bet Hoffman and Fleetwood they've got a chance!! I took Hoffman, Fleetwood and Phil instead of Tiger. I think Tiger staying in his yacht is bad juju.

dangling pointer posted:

Get Tiger around +1400, Fleetwood around +4000, and Hoffman for a long shot at +8000 imo.

Either way the final round is going to be fun, jealous you're going. Have fun man.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 16, 2018

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I don’t mind the US Open being a gimmicky mess - it’s one tournament and the unfairness is its unique selling point.

What I do mind is that they’re pushing the envelope so much that US links-style courses look like poo poo. When the USGA gets their hands on them, the courses get so brown and dead in the name of SPEED, and combined with Fox’s massive television cranes, the sprawling hospitality tents, outdoor toilets, and no trees to hide any of it, it looks like playing golf in the parking lot of some horrible music festival instead of in nature.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

dangling pointer posted:

Did you end up putting money on anyone? I told you to bet Hoffman and Fleetwood they've got a chance!! I took Hoffman, Fleetwood and Phil instead of Tiger. I think Tiger staying in his yacht is bad juju.

Either way the final round is going to be fun, jealous you're going. Have fun man.

I did! I have $50 on Hoffman and Fleetwood, thanks to you! Good luck to both of us! :)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

well well well, look who's making a run but a certain Samoan who screwed up his ankle once after a hole-in-one

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Phil just ran up and hit a putt while the ball was still moving.

https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/1008052067494227969

daslog fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 16, 2018

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

daslog posted:

Yeah Phil is in gently caress it mode. Fox can’t figure out what happened because they are too busy not showing golf and Joe Buck is confused.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
the golf has become extremely good

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

daslog posted:

https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/1008052067494227969

He officially made a 10.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DO YALL WANT A HAM WIND

https://twitter.com/GolfMonthly/status/1007352921166577664

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I'm 400 miles away from Shinnecock and I swear to god, when Joe Buck just said "every player at the US Open is now over par" I could hear the blood rushing to Mike Davis's penis.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Barnrat is #1 in Fwys and #1 in GIR's right now. :getin:

nevermind, he's 9th in GIR for all rounds.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 16, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Joe Buck go away

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

whoever's manning the seven-second delay for Fox is getting their money's worth today

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

“They’ve lost the golf course.” Zach Johnson is a whiny baby and gives us another reason to hate his self righteousness.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

“They’ve lost the golf course.” Zach Johnson is a whiny baby and gives us another reason to hate his self righteousness.

Pro golfer tears are the best :)

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I still think DJ will pull this off tomorrow, but goddamn what a brutal round.

Ricky shot 14 over today, jesus.

I'm really surprised Mike Davis is coming out and saying they hosed up the afternoon players with the course setup.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Shinnecock more like Shinne...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJnQyrQuggI

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Phil is garbage and picking him was so dumb.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
3 players under par for the day, 2 even, and only 16 of the remaining 67 players under +9, which was yesterday’s cut line

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

That pin placement on 18 was pants on head retarded.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

I just realized something: you know how bad the FOX coverage today was?

we could have had to deal with Jim Nantz hyperventilating over Phil's putt.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Phil owns

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

The USGA said he was right and that they(USGA) hosed up big time today.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Shrapnig posted:

Is anyone really surprised?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I don't know anything about golf IRL, what can they do to make the course a little bit easier overnight? Move all the holes to the center of the green? Spray a lot of water on all the greens?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Boco_T posted:

I don't know anything about golf IRL, what can they do to make the course a little bit easier overnight? Move all the holes to the center of the green? Spray a lot of water on all the greens?

The latter. They already started watering the greens as soon as the last group got off of them today. Pin positions are generally set before a tournament.

Also center of the green doesn't necessarily make for an easier spot. I'm sure on some of the holes on this course the last place you'd want the flag to be is the center of the green.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I’m sure they rolled or double rolled the greens after cutting them this morning too, they could back off that a bit depending on Sunday’s forecast.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

I’m sure they rolled or double rolled the greens after cutting them this morning too, they could back off that a bit depending on Sunday’s forecast.

It's supposed to be "hot"(80F) and sunny tomorrow, no chance of rain in the forecast.

I'd love to play a US Open venue in tournament conditions. When I say play I mean hit a bunch of shots and putts and see what the ball really does in that setup.

It hasn't really rained in the Northeast in a week or so(I'm in NJ) so the course was always going to be firm and fast but seeing what's happening to "good" shots these guys hit is a bit much. The US Open should penalize you for bad shots, not good ones.

At least it's not the brown, burned out mess that was Chambers Bay. That shitshow was a fitting start to the Fox coverage of the US Open.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Zach Johnson made it seem like the USGA ruined the course in its setup. As Berger and Finau’s rounds proved, the setup was fine for half of the day. It was only when the wind unexpectedly picked up in the afternoon that things got a little dicey.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Zach Johnson is a dorkus malorkus with a janky-rear end looking swing

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Homestar Runner posted:

good, good, let the hatred for the bible-banger with 47 separate sponsors on his clothing flow through you

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
This is just stupid and unfair. I mean, the score differentials between the early and late groups is indefensible.

Shrapnig posted:

It's supposed to be "hot"(80F) and sunny tomorrow, no chance of rain in the forecast.

I'd love to play a US Open venue in tournament conditions. When I say play I mean hit a bunch of shots and putts and see what the ball really does in that setup.

It hasn't really rained in the Northeast in a week or so(I'm in NJ) so the course was always going to be firm and fast but seeing what's happening to "good" shots these guys hit is a bit much. The US Open should penalize you for bad shots, not good ones.

At least it's not the brown, burned out mess that was Chambers Bay. That shitshow was a fitting start to the Fox coverage of the US Open.

I haven’t played US Open setup, but I played Atlanta Athletic the day after the U.S. Amateur and they kept the same pin placements. It was really really hard. Seemed like every approach was stick it, hit it in the middle of the green, or be incredibly short sided.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Homestar Runner posted:

This forever.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Omerta posted:

This is just stupid and unfair. I mean, the score differentials between the early and late groups is indefensible.

So who comes from 6-7 back on day 4 to win this? Poulter from 4 back?

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
I for one am shocked, shocked that this outdoor sport where weather conditions have a massive effect on the condition and playability of the game can change over the course of 8 hours.

I will be bringing this up with my home courses commitee to ensure that the next time wind or rain sets in that the days competition is cancelled lest an earlier or later tee time is not homogenised to be exactly the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
"This golf course is so unfair, pure luck just to have a good score!"

Meanwhile, the world no. 1 is leading...

• Locked thread