Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rutibex posted:

you must know some famous celebrity goons Lowtax. just blackmail them into giving you the money or you will expose their post history

Wasn't that little dweeb Aviche or whatever the gently caress a goon at some point? Lowtax should hit up his parents for some of that sweet techno money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Another thread the other day said somethingawful was worth like 50 million. Just sell some stock and use some of the stock sales to pay for the cancer.

HAHAHAHA

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Rutibex posted:

you must know some famous celebrity goons Lowtax. just blackmail them into giving you the money or you will expose their post history

Nah I'm just going to sell the site for $50 million hahahaha

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
real talk for a second something awful "the product" is less than worthless but the dataset of how many years of shitposting is absolutely worth something to someone out there

i mean you could take all the dnd seriousposts and then put it into a big ol machine learning thingo and It'll graph something probably

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

abigserve posted:

real talk for a second something awful "the product" is less than worthless but the dataset of how many years of shitposting is absolutely worth something to someone out there

i mean you could take all the dnd seriousposts and then put it into a big ol machine learning thingo and It'll graph something probably

I think cultural historians and sociologists alike would be very interested in the archives for this site. They don't have the 50 mil though.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Lowtax posted:

Sell us to the people who run buzzfeed or now this or whatever company forces an ad between each paragraph that reads like it was written by a second grader

Something awful will make tons of money in ads and you can be sane again

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
so is there a place where I can throw you money on the side and you can like be sneaky giving it to her?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Wish I had a funny joke but I'm really sorry to hear that

I basically just reached that part of my life where basically everyone from the previous generation of my entire extended family basically all get cancer at once and die at regular intervals and it's miserably depressing!!

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i never understood the death panel argument against universal healthcare. aside from the fact that they obviously don't exist in countries with uhc, it also seems to me like america pretty much already has death panels in the form of insurance companies refusing to pay out for lifesaving medical treatments

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

LordArgh posted:

i never understood the death panel argument against universal healthcare. aside from the fact that they obviously don't exist in countries with uhc, it also seems to me like america pretty much already has death panels in the form of insurance companies refusing to pay out for lifesaving medical treatments

Well sure they do in a way. If the medicine is rare and costly enough the state may decide that they can't cover it. I think it happened here a while back with something that cost over $1M a year. But I mean there's nothing wrong with that in my opinion. They have to make sure they can afford to actually treat the vast majority of people. Something incredibly rare with an insanely costly medicine that might not even prolong life for that long should be excluded to guarantee healthcare for the rest. It sucks for the patient, but there's no good solution to that problem at all.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Goondolences, OP

Nicomo
Jan 22, 2015
I feel for you. It's horrible that cancer patients get to live longer if they are rich, in the US in particular, since healthcare costs are so hugely inflated. I recently had a moderately complex, specialized operation for a neurological condition privately here in the UK (due to Socialized Medicine (!!!!!) having a longer waiting list). It only cost just over £3000 (so like 4-5k dollars?). So actually feasibly for someone on a mid-level income. I do not doubt it is over five figures in the US. Here is a good balance, we have reasonably priced private insurance plans, or even elective care paid out of pocket, but then anything truly lifesaving is usually covered by the state healthcare system (NHS) which is fully taxpayer funded.

Are there any possibility of traveling abroad, medical tourism, for a less expensive option? I've heard of people in my country doing that.

Good luck.

Nicomo fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 12, 2018

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
you've tried the carrot OP, you should try the stick

start taking down the forums and replacing them with an NPR style livestream of you requesting donations, repeatedly reminding people the sooner you hit your "voluntary donation target"we can return to :airquote:"regular programming" :airquote:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My mom's not-dying pills run about $10k a month. Luckily her insurance covers it, but even when the ACA was operating at full strength there was absolutely nothing stopping them from changing their drug formulary at any time to remove coverage for one or more of her meds. She's never really given a poo poo because gently caress, she already knows how this ends anyhow, but my dad is a nervous wreck knowing that the insurancy company could pull the plug any time they felt like it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Caganer posted:

you've tried the carrot OP, you should try the stick

start taking down the forums and replacing them with an NPR style livestream of you requesting donations, repeatedly reminding people the sooner you hit your "voluntary donation target"we can return to :airquote:"regular programming" :airquote:

This is funny bc I'm a regular donor and I still have to listen to them blackmail me to make it stop.

Straight White Shark posted:

My mom's not-dying pills run about $10k a month. Luckily her insurance covers it, but even when the ACA was operating at full strength there was absolutely nothing stopping them from changing their drug formulary at any time to remove coverage for one or more of her meds. She's never really given a poo poo because gently caress, she already knows how this ends anyhow, but my dad is a nervous wreck knowing that the insurancy company could pull the plug any time they felt like it.

I'm sure all that stress does wonders for her general health as well.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Lowtax posted:

I'll give you $50 to redact all my posts.

But seriously, see if your mom's doctor has a social worker, or community health worker, or something similar. They find assistance programs for patients for all kinds of medications, transportation, etc. Surely there's a program out there for her. If you're comfortable, you can message me with the name of the med and I can take a quick look to see what I can find.

You can also check the manufacturer's website to see if they have a savings program, or a site like pparx.org.

As a nurse I am pro-qualified to say our health care system is legitimately, completely power-hosed inside and out and needs to be 100% gutted.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 12, 2018

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
This reminds me of how my mom slipped on the ice several years back during the winter and shattered her hand. My mom was in an incredible amount of pain and my dad just drove her to the nearest hospital. Turns out that hospital wasn't in-network and their insurance refused to cover $1 of the treatment costs. The costs were like $40k or thereabouts. Pretty sure the aftermath was my dad argued with the hospital for years until they finally settled for very little money comparatively. :capitalism:

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe
Sorry your country is a big gaylord. Isn't your wife Canadian? Can you pull some sort of hornswaggle where you move up there and your wife sponsors your mom and then MY FRIGGIN TAX DOLLARS can pay for her to not die?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

my wife is switching jobs so we'll be in between insurance for a month, guess how much COBRA is per month for our lovely insurance with a 7k deductible?

$1700 a month, lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

Sorry your country is a big gaylord. Isn't your wife Canadian? Can you pull some sort of hornswaggle where you move up there and your wife sponsors your mom and then MY FRIGGIN TAX DOLLARS can pay for her to not die?

just get a wig for mom and use the wife's Canadian health insurance card. It's not like they finger print you in Canadian hospitals before treatment

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Sorry to hear about your mom, Lowtax

Can you imagine the Democrats fighting for UHC as hard as the GOP fights for tax cuts? I can't.

Because they'll never, ever fight to stop this gravy train:

Blue: healthcare fund
Red: S&P 500 fund

Initial value's $10k. Look at those loving returns. Beating the market is considered very hard to do and basically impossible in the long run and look at that. $1.6m vs $0.3m.

This poo poo makes me want to emigrate. Literally, I'm hoping to within a decade.

Right now, it's like healthcare is a siphon. Post-WWII resulted in the middle class having a lot of wealth? Well, it's all getting sucked back out. And if you can't afford this, die.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 12, 2018

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Avalanche posted:

I sometimes secretly kinda sorta (but not seriously) wish one of these school shooters would direct all of their inner rage and anger towards a corporate office of Anthem or CVA Caremark or whoever instead of just blowing away a bunch of kids.

I'm a little surprised that we haven't yet seen someone that has like a year left to live due to insurance constantly denying specialty visits where some tumor could of been taken care of if it was caught in time or whatever just go loving apeshit through some insurer's corporate building.

I really don't know how I would react to:

"Breaking News! 19 mid level and upper level management employees of [insert whatever state for profit health insurer here] dead! At least 23 severely wounded with ghastly lifelong permanent injuries."

I wish this every day and am not shy about saying it. If you are going to shoot up a bunch of people, go to the board room, not a classroom. Trouble is most spree shooters are cowards and these companies put measures in place to make SURE this doesnt happen. They know they are ethically bankrupt pieces of poo poo. Thats why their physical security is so high. They no that one day the mob will come for their heads, in the meantime. "gently caress you, got mine"

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I just told 250,000 people about this websight and I think they're gonna register accounts soon

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Do NOT shoot anyone please.

That said, I did laugh at the photos showing that Zuckerberg wears concealed body armor now, along with his $20 million a year security detail (paid for by Facebook)

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 12, 2018

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Killing people won't change anything. I mean yeah I'd hope that someone who was that deranged went against real pieces of poo poo as well instead of teachers and students, it won't change anything either way. A message sent by killing some corporate CEOs or politicians won't be heard by anyone. They'll be instantly replaced and the victims remembered as good people by the masses. The only way to fight the system is by changing the system, and attacking pawns in that system does nothing.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
CEOs are hardly pawns in the system...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
But I do think we are getting off topic.

My sincere thoughts and prayers for Lowtax and his family.

Maybe we can get some MDs from the doctor subforum to weigh in with their tips on the system?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

CEOs are hardly pawns in the system...

They really are. The system has a life of its own. The parts don't matter, they are all replaceable instantly.

Politicians campaigning for eroding corporate power restrictions are the only real targets that would matter, but that's all way in the past by now.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 12, 2018

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Nurge posted:

Killing people won't change anything. I mean yeah I'd hope that someone who was that deranged went against real pieces of poo poo as well instead of teachers and students, it won't change anything either way. A message sent by killing some corporate CEOs or politicians won't be heard by anyone. They'll be instantly replaced and the victims remembered as good people by the masses. The only way to fight the system is by changing the system, and attacking pawns in that system does nothing.

Hold up. You are saying that the heads of these companies and their shareholders, dictating these policies....are pawns???? Lol wtf are you smoking dude?

Edit: oxballs is right. Off topic. Sorry about your moms Lowtax. It really sucks and you have my sympathies

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

friendbot2000 posted:

Hold up. You are saying that the heads of these companies and their shareholders, dictating these policies....are pawns???? Lol wtf are you smoking dude?

Yeah. See my post above. You won't do poo poo by killing any of them.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
Im sorry dude, that really sucks. I hope you work something out.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
More like Obama don't care!

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Fartbox posted:

im so happy to be swedish

how have u guys not fuckin rebelled agains big pharma yet

are americans just completely passive and complacent?

brainwashed more like...

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I'm so sorry. For both your mother and your terrible healthcare system. My mother died a few years ago from cancer, but after years of (free) treatment. I can't imagine being in your position, this is basically extortion.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Generic regular insulin is $15 at Walmart, nobody is 'dying' bc they can't afford insulin lol

You’d be surprised.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Lowtax, whats the most famous person you're friends with?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Nierbo posted:

Lowtax, whats the most famous person you're friends with?

Fragmaster, duh.

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe
I would be happy to learn that this is all viral marketing for a movie where Bill Filmaff needs to win the Big Poker Tournament to pay for his best friend's mom's cancer treatment.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Carl Seitan posted:

You’d be surprised.

Middle-Class has been redefined to, "both parents work, no delinquent bills, lots of debt, less than $500 in checking/savings."

$15 for insulin can absolute cause problems.

fake edit: How many decades has 'six figgies' been considered making it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Accretionist posted:

$15 for insulin can absolute cause problems.

If you're homeless yeah. Let's not blow things out of proportion though. If you're diabetic it's literally more important than food, so unless you don't actually grasp that you're going to be able to get it.

e: gently caress this is another derail I'm a part of. Sorry. I hope your mom gets better Lowtax.

• Locked thread