Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

American healthcare is so ghoulish that John Q was a completely believable movie. In 2002.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

Healthcare is so insanely expensive in the US that we almost spend twice as much as the UK, where every doctor is a goverment employee and healthcare is free. You could give every private health insurance employee a pension and early retirement in addition to socialized medicine in the US and it would still be less than what we spend now. It truly is mind boggling.

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

Plucky Brit posted:

Er... We do have private healthcare in Britain as well, you know.

I used it a few years back; I had an operation on my hand done by the NHS (time from diagnosis to operation: 56 hours) then had it checked by one of the top hand surgeons in Europe which I paid for out of pocket. Total cost for three X-rays, an hours consultation with the doctor, removal of stitches by a nurse and 5 physical therapy sessions: £700.

I know Brits tend to rag on the NHS at times, but it's threads like these and Carrion Luggage's that make me appreciate it all the more.

While I understand your point it's pretty disingenous to claim that Britian has similar "private healthcare" when the final bill is a few orders of magnitude smaller than what you would see in the US for the same level of care. The post was informative and I appreciate it though :)

My brother had a bad fall on a bike while doing a delivery for his job several years back and broke his hand pretty badly. To get it properly fixed, with the liability insurance that his work had to cover him fully, was over $45,000. And that was just for the surgery.

Frumply fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 11, 2018

• Locked thread