Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Will Pikachu get in...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bleck posted:

broke: I hope Dedede is good now

woke: as a consummate Dedede main I've lost the ability to feel hope

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Calling it:

Ridley will NOT be in this game

He's in all he games as a trophy or background element so why would they break that now

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/theSirToasty/status/1007309354066997248

Also links arrows remain in the world and he can actually pick them up and throw them or knock them into his bow to fire 2-3 at a time with a single shot.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If this was the complete roster I would not be happy with it tbh.

I kinda hate most of the oldcomers and think it was a waste to bring most of them back. Like everything else sounds pretty danged good but man, I like playing smash for the new characters. Only having 2 would just kill a lot of my interest. (I mean, I'd still get it to play with friends but ehh)

Also I think if they had another 3rd party they would of announced it at E3 or the actual game announcement. Just me tho on that front.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It's not that I want everything ontop of what we got now. I just don't see why we need 3 links that all have close to the same exact moves just with slightly different properties. A pikachu that hurts itself doing literally anything or 3 marths.

Like of the oldcomers returning the only wants that I'm actually cool with off the top of my head are Snake, Ice Climbers and Wolf because they offer their own unique play styles. Everything else could of remained in the abyss and I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep. (And if I'm being totally honest I'm only okay with wolf because I know a handful of people were desperate for his playstyle even if he was a semi clone)

I'd probably be a lot lighter on Smash if Sakurai just left out the "hope you aren't expecting that many new guys" because it is cool they got everyone in there. I just don't care about that though. Also I *dislike* that Ridley got in and I don't think he fits at all art style wise

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I want the mario maker stage

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Monitor posted:

I think the people screaming "its a port" want a fundamentally different set of physics and mechanics (obviously closer to melee), and any signs that the game has ideas from brawl or 4 they retreat into the game being terrible. Not entirely melee purists, but a different strand of them that are dissatisfied with how the newer games play for whatever reason. Pretty dumb reasoning considering all of the actual people who have played it say it plays like a whole new game because woopsie it is.

But yeah, anyone invested enough in smash to care about this much is lying to themselves if they think they won't buy it. Games gonna be great. I just hope the menu design is better. poo poo like that is what made me not really get as invested in collecting trophies and stuff in Smash 4.

https://twitter.com/TheKayBguy/status/1008736348293890048

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I mean is he wrong tho

Most melee players I've seen are saying "hey it looks neat. Probably nothing will ever replace melee for me but it looks fine." while randoms scream at each other about what's better. :v: Like I wouldn't of posted it if I didn't see the same thing.

In fact only melee player I see show his rear end was mango (or was it H.Box?)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Guy A. Person posted:

Like how do you "pretend" to play melee, anyway? It's the "No True Scotsman" fallacy

By not actually playing melee or having a interest in playing it :v:? People like to watch the top players and go on about how good they are without touching the game themselves, silly as that is.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm going to play as kirby exclusively until I unlock dedede. Then the rest can come talk to me

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm going to play as Keeby.

Miyamoto smiles

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Playstation fight game let Toro be the best character in the game for awhile until Sony Santa Monica threw a shitfit that Kratos wasn't top tier so they nerfed every character in the game while buffing him and including zeus

The kicker is with Toro's downfall Kratos still couldn't take the spot because Fat Princess did. Whatta world

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/shmu_h/status/1013116814660980737

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's probably intentional.

It is, artist said it's a joke at how all CG Disney Princesses have same face syndrome

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Where's Klonoa

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hate that you're probably right :sigh:

To this day I wonder what happened to that guy, he's one of the cartoon mascots I think still holds up.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Choose ur fighter

https://youtu.be/ybTvk9fb0p0

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

A event match where you play as a tiny ridley vs a giant samus

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man Sora has been a rollercoaster for me

I remember back when KH2 came out I wanted him in for whatever reason, then as I got older I distanced myself from that series and kinda grew to retroactively hate whenever he got brought up as a guest character.
Now I'm replaying the series and I'd be damned if I flipped back around to him fitting in pretty well if Square ever felt like letting him be in a different game. Could easily see his reveal trailer just being the smash invitation stuck in a bottle he finds as that seems to be A Thing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DLC Inc posted:

no loving way, I need the details on this. Please tell me it was David Jaffe that complained.

When the game was out there were a lot of people complaining that Kratos was a casual killer because his absurd reach and easy to land supers. People got pissed and begged for him to get nerfed.

I personally became #1 worldwide on the leaderboards with Toro which led to a handful of other Toro's climbing up. After a month a balance patch came out and... it nerfed Toro to be practically useless and Kratos got super buffed to be even faster which nobody understood why as "seriously he's stupid enough STOP."

Kratos came to the top of the leaderboards for a very short while until suddenly some people discovered Fat Princess was actually the best character in the game. The second she started reaching the top of the leaderboards a new balance patch was announced that nerfed basically everyone but buffed Kratos again.

DLC for Kat released around this point and Kratos couldn't stand up to her and Kat dominated the game and fully took over. Kratos and balance patches suddenly stopped coming along but the final DLC character was revealed to be Zeus who had a pretty stupid kit and was made to be a combo monster (though Kat still beat the poo poo out of him). I wasn't big on the game much at this point as I didn't like them giving Kratos special treatment and killing every character that could beat him but I did catch a employee post on /v/ where a staff member mentioned Sony Santa Monica was in fact behind Kratos getting buffed all the time saying the team behind the current GoW games didn't like seeing "lesser" characters defeat Kratos and they were getting pressured to make him better and Zeus was a attempt to make them happy after everything wasn't working out.

The guy 100% for sure was a employee (posted a ID card with some things censored out among other things) so it was pretty believable in it's own funny way. If he was just having fun who knows but with evidence in the game itself most people chose to believe him.

TL;DR
Bunch of characters beat Kratos and would get nerfed to useless tier while Kratos mysteriously kept getting buffs or insanely minor nerfs despite casual fans begging for him to be toned down. Final DLC character got put in was another GoW character and a disgruntled employee posted to /v/ that they were being pressured to make the GoW series "the best"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Macaluso posted:

K. Rool deserves a spot... IN HELL

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Icons is rear end get slap city and be a fish

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Icons looks... bad? Like, the gameplay looks serviceable but the art design is very Free To Play Version Of Popular Game, if that makes sense, and the animations are either lifted straight from melee with a splash of awkward.

Rivals looks significantly better by virtue of being nice 2D spritework and its own style both in gameplay and art. I have no interest in playing either to be honest because Smash works for me as a combo of fun gameplay and memorable characters, but between the two contenders there's a big gap in visual appeal.

Let me tell you about how Icons has 2 characters to play as to start and the only way to get the others is via lootboxes, or the input lag even in offline play.
Do not support Icons

Like, the past few days I've been told all sorts of frustrating poo poo like how they faked the C+D from Nintendo on Project M to avoid people asking them to go back to it and how they hung most of the Project M team out to dry and not telling them about their plans to move on. If that poo poo winds up being 100% true ontop of this stupid lootbox thing then gently caress em

Waffleman_ posted:

Or I could get Smash and be Snake

I mean yeah but Smush won't be out for another handful of months. Why not be a weight tossing fish in the meantime. Real flex combos

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 13, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

bef posted:

hasn't there always been no C&D? Like didn't they just talk to their lawyers and the advice given was that its best to just stop development altogether? is all that poo poo made up? if so lolol

Icons is alright it has good gameplay overall but yeah only having a selection of 3 people is trash rear end and they will probably change it soon. also to buy characters in this game is ridiculous since its a complete RNG gamble. they've stated theyre very open to feedback on how it should be monetized so well see. maybe do what League of Legends does where f2p characters are switched every week or so, or this case every other day.

Not gonna pretend I'm super in the know, just going off what a few of my friends have been saying that followed Icons and the team.

Some combination of the 4-5 people from Project M went "man fans are gonna bug us if we quit" "don't worry people will say we got C+D'd and we'll roll with it" "aight" and they left the other devs of the mod in the dark about shutting it down until the day of. They then deleted their own WIP of a upcoming patch to make sure none of the other devs could pick up where it was left off or something and I dunno from there. It's all just what I was told anyway so it's a grain of salt in the first place :shrug:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Those bombs are loving disgusting edge guard tools lmao

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Unpopular opinion but I kinda dislike shovel knight and I'm kind of sick of him.

His game was fun but I'm tired of literally every indie game shoving him in no matter what. Like he might as well be a royalty free asset he's in so many games.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

b_d posted:

what’s he in. I can only think of that hideous looking blade strangers fighter

Yooka Laylee
Indie Pogo
Blade Strangers
Bloodstained
Runbow
Starr Mazer
Cook Serve Delicious
Road Redemption
Move or Die
Dino-Run DX
Ghost Police
Blaster Master 0
Runner 3
Indivisable
Azure Striker Gunvolt 2
Creepy Castle

and a few more.

Shovel Knight has had a single good game I would like to stop seeing him for awhile.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Smush

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ridley is Waluigi's Echo, it was a ruse all along

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

To this day I still wish that we got a normal FF1 era black mage instead of Cloud. Black Mages are my go to mental image for Nintendo Final Fantasy along with moogles/chocobos

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It's really telling that when Ridley got announced 80% of the posts on random boards were "LOL WE MEME'D HIM IN BOYS! WE DID IT FOR THE EPIC MEME!!!!"

It's why I believe Waluigi and K. Rool are wanted at all.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah, I'm being a bit over the top with my "at all" comment as I'm sure they have actual fans- but I really do think a majority are just "lets get these funny meme characters that we don't actually give a poo poo about in!!!"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I don't really get the argument against bandana dee being a generic waddle dee when the entire pokemon roster exists.

Like Pikachu is a mascot and obviously he's in but also he's not like... a specific pikachu. There's a ton of em. Ton of jigglypuff with nothing really defining them. They aren't characters but creatures you collect.

Why do they get a free pass when a established character doesn't

(To be clear no I'm not saying Bandana Dee is more important that Pikachu or anything like that)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bandana Waddle Dee has a personality though

He's actually one of the only characters in the Kirby Franchise to have full lines that isn't a major villain. He's been around since Super Star, has had a memorable boss fight in the remake, is a playable character in recent games (and the only way to play spear in Star Allies) Is Kirby's story mode partner in Rainbow Curse/Battle Royal

Like the little guy has made a name for himself in series.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Moriatti posted:

I don't doubt he has those but I've never gotten a personality from him, would you be willing to elaborate?

I played the SNES remake instead of the DS one, but I may have forgotten this line. I'm willing to be wrong on Marth since I'd prefer that to my memory of him being boring.

EDIT:

Yoshi in Smash appears to be based on Yoshi's Story where his animations make him an ambitious and goofy creature who loves fruit.

If I'm being 100% honest he's basically Luigi but a tiny bit more brave. Also he's a fanboy to meta knight and buys merch of him all the time because that's a thing in dreamland apparently.

He's always eager to help out those that are in trouble and in later games him and Kirby are usually the ones storming into bases (granted he's usually providing items or support in some way). He even helps out against the final boss of Battle Royale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bXvw5Y3f_k

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoS17ScB6vc

I like the intro to rainbow curse because Bandana Dee agrees to go on a quest to save the world before Kirby does. It was so close to being his big break!!!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

"He's just player 4!! He doesn't show up enough"

-Your opponent in Super Star's Megaton Punch
-Boss Fight in Return of the King
-Kirby has partnered with Waddle Dee in 64
-The fourth character in Returns to Dreamland
-Co-star to Kirby in Rainbow Curse
-Kirby's partner in Battle Royale
-Adventures with Kirby in the 3DS titles providing items and lives
-One of the starting roster of Star Allies Dream Friends with his own special character splash screen
-Memorable design thanks to being a waddle dee

Like I just want *any* new Kirby character tbh but you're a dumb idiot moron if you act like Bandana Dee isn't a actual character in the series. Maybe HAL shot themselves in the foot by trying to make a Dee a main character but it's far too late to pull back on that now.

Also lol at him not having range have you seen this boy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVJa6jqWC7c
His spear is the power pole from DBZ and he can throw like a million of them. He's a strong boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SilverSupernova posted:

I hope Waddle Dee will be in Smash and I also hope that one of his alts has him put on a sailor hat to honor the memory of his fallen comrade.

Even if he doesn't get in and there's no new Kirby rep at all I at least want the battle royale costumes

Give me dapper meta knight