Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Moola posted:

I'm not even joking when I say £4 is way too much for this game

He paid £2 for it, I was mistaken. But yeah, still. Fairly decent sized open world albeit an empty, uninteresting one, one stronghold and a few dungeon missions until you're over halfway through the game is poor value for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
that's still too much and I'm 100% serious

maybe if this game was free and came with a paid wage for every hour you played it. Even then though...

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
IMO there's a solid hour or two of great game, if you pick colossus first, and the game doesn't bug out. That could easily be worth a couple bucks. And you don't have to worry about microstansactions bc the stuff you want is never available to purchase!

https://twitter.com/IndeedRyan/status/1414895207309512709?s=19

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
sexy bad choices

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Moola posted:

that's still too much and I'm 100% serious

maybe if this game was free and came with a paid wage for every hour you played it. Even then though...

Im glad to see I am not the only person valuing games on a time scale not on the cost scale. I firmly believe that time is far more valuable than 50, 30, 10 or 2$. Anthem is a game which doesnt respect your time and that makes it a bad game. Be it design choises, gameplay loop(s) or UX. Dont waste your precious time on crap.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is this game good yet?

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is this game good yet?

No.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Any time I see this thread i feel bad for my kid, he had to do a bunch of chores to earn money to buy it :(

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

a mysterious cloak posted:

Any time I see this thread i feel bad for my kid, he had to do a bunch of chores to earn money to buy it :(

calling child services as we speak

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Firefall was a better Anthem.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

maybe they can do the right thing for the game and expand upon destiny's "delete half the game" idea

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is this game good yet?

This joke would work, if Anthem hadn't been abandoned ages ago.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

The most reasonable way to get that bar up is to make new characters and play through the story a dozen times. All the rewards you see there are practically useless. Even the cosmetic gold looks too close to a more available colour for anyone to know you've got the "real" gold painted on your suit

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

1100 hours. I'm not sure I've put that much time into all the games I've played in the last few years. One game though? And Anthem at that? We should be concerned about the mental health of people like this.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

RagnarokZ posted:

This joke would work, if Anthem hadn't been abandoned ages ago.

That's why the joke does work

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I can't believe it's been a decade already

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I just played through the campaign and a little bit after buying it for $3. It's... not great. The story is fine and the characters are fine but the long load times, bugs, and gameplay elements make it pretty bad.

I don't mind the controls and think that flying around is a lot of fun. Exploring has probably been my favorite thing in this game, but that's not saying too much. Gunplay and abilities are fun too, but why are legendary items so easy to get? I got to level 29 before my first masterwork item but I could get a tier above that for the measly sum of 2000 coin. It made almost any fight trivial. But by the time you've gotten through like 2 or 3 missions you've already seen most of what the the game has to offer. Hear mission exposition, fly to place and either fight or find something, hear more exposition then rinse and repeat. Every single mission. Enemy variety is non-existent and the AI is pretty bad too.

I did like being able to just hop into other people's games through quickplay, but you're basically just cutting out the exposition for long load times instead only to have an easier fight because of co-op so it's a wash.

Playing with friends made this bearable, but not really. We had more fun with Battleborn.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I still think the ending is funny, just telling some blind dickhead that stole a suit to gently caress off to DLC Land

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
I think I'm really coming to grips with the fundamentals of fun game design, and so I'm better able to see what my game was missing. I wanted to make my gameplay more tactically rewarding and more responsive, so I've added more HUD info and I've started giving all my enemies more varied attacks. These attacks are reactive to player actions and to level layout.

https://twitter.com/IndeedRyan/status/1429647420284100613?s=19

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Reminder that BioWare, the studio known for its stories and characters, made a game in TYOOL 2019 which has zero memorable story beats or characters

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

eonblue174 posted:

I think I'm really coming to grips with the fundamentals of fun game design, and so I'm better able to see what my game was missing. I wanted to make my gameplay more tactically rewarding and more responsive, so I've added more HUD info and I've started giving all my enemies more varied attacks. These attacks are reactive to player actions and to level layout.

https://twitter.com/IndeedRyan/status/1429647420284100613?s=19

:yeah:

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
Gave my mech a cape

https://twitter.com/IndeedRyan/status/1457072823269302280?t=DqZDv__GZWYFCikq-rDLHQ&s=19

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

It was the right decision.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Now start work on a New World clone.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

Kaysette posted:

Now start work on a New World clone.

Ha! There was at least some promise in Anthem lol.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
Making a stylish looking game is so loving hard! I keep trying different looks but I don't see that spark of greatness that I can recognize in like Samurai Gunn or No More Heroes. I think I'm on a good track with my fundamentals here, just need to apply them universally and finish updating everything's AI.

https://twitter.com/IndeedRyan/status/1472431436279992321?t=_o6DtGqdh-KMMkT7W6lU_w&s=19

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
my friend said a work colleague is really into Anthem, and made fun of my friend for liking Dark Souls

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
What a fascinating person! I gotta imagine some folks just don't want to be challenged

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'll make fun of anyone for liking dark souls. Not liking dark souls is the dark souls of having an opinion, after all.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I never played Dark Souls. I think I own two of them.
I played Demon Souls and greatly enjoyed it. I got that because of a thread on here where people were watching some japanese guy facetank his way through the entire game and it was pretty entertaining, on some old timey streaming site.
My friend is a huge fan of Dark Souls and so when I'm talking to him I refer to it as Dork Souls because he's a huge fuckin Dork.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Dark Souls is just a lame ripoff of Hollow Knight

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Is this game good yet.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

The Fattest PI posted:

I never played Dark Souls. I think I own two of them.
I played Demon Souls and greatly enjoyed it. I got that because of a thread on here where people were watching some japanese guy facetank his way through the entire game and it was pretty entertaining, on some old timey streaming site.
My friend is a huge fan of Dark Souls and so when I'm talking to him I refer to it as Dork Souls because he's a huge fuckin Dork.

If you really enjoyed Demon Souls you'd have a good time with Dark Souls too

It's pretty dorky tho

porfiria posted:

Is this game good yet.

its good and dead :lmao:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

porfiria posted:

Is this game good yet.

No, EA said they're kiboshing the big Hail Mary to try to fix the game a few months ago.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
They should make the game good.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:bioware:

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009