Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Too lazy to keep this updated now. Short version: gently caress Daniel Murphy, basically everybody else is cool.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
make it so you can only see this thread if you are a Cubs fan and I will spill all the secrets I know

like how Kyle Schwarber is a very nice man

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

make it so you can only see this thread if you are a Cubs fan and I will spill all the secrets I know

like how Kyle Schwarber is a very nice man

Also it's finally time to unveil yourself Theo Epstein

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'll never tell

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Poque posted:

I'll never tell

Oh, so you’re Jed Hoyer then.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Jon Lester is bad.
Kyle Hendricks is good
Yu Darvish is a potato

The Rizzo slide was legal.

Cubs getting swept in first round of playoffs.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Finally, a place where we can have civilized discussions without interlopers butting in and making unwarranted attempts to mock us. Anyway I think Heyward might opt out if he hits .750 for the rest of the season

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

xbilkis posted:

Finally, a place where we can have civilized discussions without interlopers butting in and making unwarranted attempts to mock us. Anyway I think Heyward might opt out if he hits .750 for the rest of the season

Gonna go back to the Braves? We know how much he wants to be with a young team, Cubs are old now look at Rizzo he looks like he is 60.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bring back Gleyber Torres and Eloy Jimenez for Tyler Chatwood. Get it done Theo!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Popete posted:

Bring back Gleyber Torres and Eloy Jimenez for Tyler Chatwood. Get it done Theo!

Work the Mariners in as well so we can bring Dan "Baby Schwarber" Vogelbach. While you're at it see what Ty Griffin and Earl Cunningham are up to these days.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I want that racist backup catcher back.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I kinda feel like having a thread specifically for Cubs posting in SAS is like holding a straight pride parade or having a white history month.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Hot take - Cubs are good at baseball and will win the Central.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ScottyJSno posted:

Hot take - Cubs are good at baseball and will win the Central.

mods???

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Poque posted:

I want that racist backup catcher back.

Wait, who was this?

Cubs, please learn how to hit again before the Cards series tomorrow, thanks.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bird in a Blender posted:

Wait, who was this?

Cubs, please learn how to hit again before the Cards series tomorrow, thanks.

Steve Clevenger, who went along with Scott Feldman to the Orioles for Arrieta and Strop. He had some...thoughts about BLM.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

Steve Clevenger, who went along with Scott Feldman to the Orioles for Arrieta and Strop. He had some...thoughts about BLM.

Hot Take: That was a good trade for us

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Last month, I finally got to see Wrigley Field since all the construction was finished, and it looks really nice! The Cubs had an away game that day so I didn’t get to see a game :argh:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's me, my thread is finally the one that broke the dam and made people realize individual team threads are dumb. :v:

In banal minor league news the Eugene Emeralds start tomorrow which is cool. Also Maples had another walkless inning in Iowa which means since 5/29 his line is 7IP 2H 0R 1BB 15K :eyepop: He's gotta get called up again soon, right?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else miss being able to one up every other sports teams fans that complains about a drought?

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Popete posted:

Does anyone else miss being able to one up every other sports teams fans that complains about a drought?

Kinda, but I love bringing up the fact that the Indians blew a 3-1 lead in the World Series :v:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
AMA fools

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Poque posted:

AMA fools

What won't you ever tell?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

AMA fools

Biggest jerk on the team?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How big of a voluntary salary cut did you take so we can sign Harper?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

HootTheOwl posted:

What won't you ever tell?

Financial info, pretty much.

Popete posted:

Biggest jerk on the team?

It was definitely Bosio. Now I hear the most complaints about Zagunis for some weird reason.

Popete posted:

How big of a voluntary salary cut did you take so we can sign Harper?

I'm as curious as everybody else what we're going to do this next offseason!

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Beefy slab Schwarber's favorite food?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
what do you do

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

what do you do

Poque works in financial stuff, as I recall.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
are you guy who gave Heyward $184 million

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Sis tells me a Jeni’s ice cream opened up next to Wrigley. Is that place good because god drat I love ice cream

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Ein cooler Typ posted:

are you guy who gave Heyward $184 million

He works on the business side, not the baseball side.

Miz Kriss posted:

Sis tells me a Jeni’s ice cream opened up next to Wrigley. Is that place good because god drat I love ice cream

Yes, but don't go within 2 hours of a game because the line is 100 miles long. There are a few across the city and they're all amazing.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Poque posted:

AMA fools

How awesome is Schwarber as a person?

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
gently caress the Cards.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Poque posted:

AMA fools

Have you ever come in early to catch Chris Coghlan hiding his bedding and getting ready start the day?

Serious questions: How often do you actually whip out the ring and wear it, just because? Also any good embarrassing “Oh, I didn’t realize you are/were a player?” stories?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Serious questions: How often do you actually whip out the ring and wear it, just because?

We went to a wedding a month or so after the ring ceremony at the Lincoln Park Zoo and the groom specifically asked him to bring the ring. About 75% of the reception was spent by people we'd never met, relatives of both the bride and groom, interrupting our dancing and asking if they could get pictures with the ring.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

News:
Riding home from a minor league game in an Uber on Saturday night, the driver informed me he was a big Yankees fan.

"We got this guy who's the next Jeter," he enthusiastically informed me.

"Are you talking about Didi...." I trailed off when he didn't immediately pick up on the name.

"Oh, you mean Torres...."

"Yeah, Torres..." and he went on and on about how great the new Yankees 2nd baseman is.

Views: The Yankees have 2 Jeters, if you follow the Kevin Towers :rip: comp from years ago on Didi [Holy gently caress, maybe he was right?] and my new friend's opinion of Torres. Which means they used to have 3 future Jeters in the org (Didi, Castro, Torres) and the Cubs gave them 2 of them if you follow all 3 comps...

Also View: It was worth it. :colbert:

View 3: When I googled Glyber it looks like he's the price bloggers expect every GM in baseball to ask for when the Yankees go shopping for elite pitching in a month. I hope they don't because he brings back world series rings.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 18, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm not all that torn up about Torres because he's playing way above even what people though was his ceiling when he was like a top three prospect in all of baseball with us. Like power wasn't even really supposed to be part of his game and he already has 13 HR's or something. It'd be one thing if he was expected to be an instant MVP type guy and we traded him, but I remember his scouting report with us and it was ".300's hitter, decent fielder but will probably have to move off SS long term, maybe double digit HR power if you squint, very mature with a good approach, high floor with an All-Star ceiling".

The Yankees are also completely unstoppable anyway so adding one more incredible player doesn't really ruffle me. I'll be more mad when they somehow manage to trade for deGrom without giving up any top prospects.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Your Taint posted:

How awesome is Schwarber as a person?

He and Javy formed a receiving line as we got our rings. I later found out they did it on their own and nobody asked them to do it. I will always love them forever.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Have you ever come in early to catch Chris Coghlan hiding his bedding and getting ready start the day?

Serious questions: How often do you actually whip out the ring and wear it, just because? Also any good embarrassing “Oh, I didn’t realize you are/were a player?” stories?

I was teamed with Chris Coghlan and David Ross at Lester's NVRQT event in 2016. David Ross was already the most popular member of the team by that point so he was basically off in a corner taking selfies with cougars for the entire event, but Coghlan was way better with fans than I ever expected. I'm not really sure why my expectations were lower, but he was really fun and engaging. I can see why he would be a good clubhouse guy.

I wear the ring less now that it isn't the most recent one but it's still nice to pull it out every so often. I should probably bust it out more. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

All I know is that getting the chance to hold it for a minute last year was one of the coolest moments in my life. Although it will probably get knocked down a notch in a few months after I get married, but still toward the top of the list.

• Locked thread