Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1008811687670157317?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Hope everything is alright for Duensing. There's no announcement or anything about his personal situation I wish him the best. :(

Time to teach my phone how to spell Zastryzny again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Explosionface posted:

All I know is that getting the chance to hold it for a minute last year was one of the coolest moments in my life. Although it will probably get knocked down a notch in a few months after I get married, but still toward the top of the list.

October to November 2016 was probably the single greatest month of my life. I knocked so many things off my bucket list as a life-long Cubs fan. I took a lot of video and will frequently go back to it and reminisce.

I got to see the Cubs win the pennant in person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-HqTDjwtvg

I went to ALL SEVEN World Series games. The Ricketts were incredible and gave every front office employee a +1 for the experience, and I'm so thankful Poque shared it with me. They flew us out to Cleveland and back twice, once for games 1 and 2 and again for games 6 and 7. We got the star treatment. A private 747 with freaking gift bags on every seat, a hotel room, and a daily stipend to go around and see the sights in Cleveland, like the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. My uncle and cousin live in Cleveland, so we had lunch together one day and Ryne Sandberg was at the table next to us. I was wearing my Sandberg shirtsey at the time, so that was a little awkward. More awkward was when a waitress came up to me and said that another table would like to pay for our meal. I quickly realized that she had meant to go to Ryno's table and make the fan's offer to him, but she had no idea who it was and assumed it was the guy in the Sandberg shirtsey.

Then the thing I waited my entire life for happened. I'm the guy screaming "WE DID IT!" like an idiot. Immediately after I stopped recording, I buried my head into Poque's shoulder and had a good cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icvoo_Mzwic

I barely remember the rest of that night, other than a LOT of beer and finally arriving home in Chicago at around 6am.

A few days later, we had the victory parade, where again I got to be Poque's +1 and ride in one of the trolleys. I've never seen that many people in one place in my entire life. It was just a sea of humanity, people were camped out on light posts and in trees to get a better view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOqBDNcAIhg

After the parade and rally, I got to step onto Wrigley Field for the first time in my life. We got to get our pictures taken while holding the World Series trophy in front of the ivy. Wayne Messmer and his wife were in line directly behind us while we waited. I'd heard stories of him being difficult and sort of a diva, but they were both incredibly cordial and pleasant, and I got to take a picture with Wayne too. When it got dark, they gave us a fireworks show while we stood on the outfield grass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRdTYo89grw

That night, the Ricketts threw everyone a private party at a local Wrigleyville bar. A bunch of the players showed up. I remember seeing John Lackey, Travis Wood, and Jon Lester, among others. A local rock band played for us, and Theo got on stage and shredded on guitar with them for a bit.

The whole month was just completely bonkers, and I thought I was dreaming the entire time. It was truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience and I'm so grateful I got to spend all those incredible moments with the man I love. :kimchi:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Games like that really suck the wind out of the office.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Games like that really suck the wind out of the office.

Please go tell Ricketts to DFA Wilson, thanks Theo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm trying to drown my fury via the crushing mundanity of reviewing security policies for our upcoming audit. It's slowly working.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Popete posted:

Please go tell Ricketts to DFA Wilson, thanks Theo.

Wilson and Bass, hold on to your rear end...

I like Joe Maddon, I like his emphasis on rest, I like his American Legion days, from all accounts he’s a very good steward of the clubhouse, but holy hell someone else needs to take the reins of that bullpen. I know it’s a double header, but you have another arm coming up as the 26th man (Wish it was Maples the way he’s throwing) so why is he not keeping back Strop or Cishek as the closer de jour?

Did he expect Chatwood to go more than 5 or something? If so, perhaps a ban on wine in the clubhouse is appropriate.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1008811687670157317?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Hope everything is alright for Duensing. There's no announcement or anything about his personal situation I wish him the best. :(

Time to teach my phone how to spell Zastryzny again.

https://twitter.com/BrianDuensing52/status/1008842308169674757

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Hi, White Sox lurker here to say start Almora everyday!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I really hope that the Schwarber we're seeing this season is the baseline for the Schwarber we're going to continue to see going forward. It doesn't feel like his performance so far is luck-based - his babip isn't elevated, he's clearly seeing balls well, his walk rate is sky high, his K-rate has dropped from his previous seasons (and he's been getting rung up on some REALLY bad calls). He's strong as gently caress. His defense has vastly improved.

I'm just really impressed that he's become so well-rounded after such a quick trip to the majors and an entire season off due to injury.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I hope Ian Happ has a similar comeback. Him and Schwarber are having very similar results the first couple of years.

Schwarber
2015 .246/.355/.487
2017 .211/.315/.467
2018 .241/.367/.483

Happ
2017 .253/.328/.514
2018 .221/.343/.436

Happ's K rate is 39.7%, which is higher than Schwarber ever had though. His BABIP right now is .354 too, so I'm worried all his numbers could shrink if he can't maintain that. If Happ can draw more walks, then I think he can turn his production around and be like another Schwarber, but with more speed.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I’ve been lookin at the Cubs walkup/warmup music and there are some great choices. Justin Wilson’s is “I’m a Sucker for Pain,” which is probably how everyone feels when he’s in the game, and Yu Darvish’s is “Soulja Boy” which I think is hilarious.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bird in a Blender posted:

His BABIP right now is .354 too, so I'm worried all his numbers could shrink if he can't maintain that.
Don't forget his near 26% HR/FB rate which is hilariously unsustainable.

Happ has a gigantic loopy swing that I'm unconvinced will play at the major league level long term as evidenced by his abysmal 68.8% Z Contact. He can't catch up to anything high in the zone and is being mulched by sliders down (which if nothing else puts him right at home with basically the entire Cubs lineup) and I think he may ultimately need to sacrifice some of that power to cut his swing down so he can, you know, not strikeout almost 40% of the time.

Also to be frank I'd probably like to see him traded if there's a decent deal to be had, since he's got too high of a ceiling to be a TLS-style bench bat but also doesn't really have a long term position. You can't platoon Schwarber and Almora forever.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm still mad at Justin loving Wilson

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

(and he's been getting rung up on some REALLY bad calls).

It's always at the bottom of the zone, too.

https://twitter.com/CubsUmp/status/1009162828887085056

https://twitter.com/CubsUmp/status/1005533927543590912

https://twitter.com/CubsUmp/status/999109541475377152

https://twitter.com/CubsUmp/status/998274809619472384

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

This is where everyone should be pitching Bryant until he fixes the hole in his swing. I swear he's become pathologically incapable, I mean Baez-like, of laying off low and away pitches like that.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I'm diggin' Poque's new Almora avatar, from the walkoff last night.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

When the moon hits your eye like a walk off line drive

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i mean, you can't possibly keep letting chatwood start when yu gets back right? i mean the whole point of letting the ricketts turn the entirety of wrigleyville into a $10 beer carnival is that they can just write off spending $20-30 million on a dude who would be better off just intentionally walking guys every three batters to save his arm?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

i mean, you can't possibly keep letting chatwood start when yu gets back right? i mean the whole point of letting the ricketts turn the entirety of wrigleyville into a $10 beer carnival is that they can just write off spending $20-30 million on a dude who would be better off just intentionally walking guys every three batters to save his arm?

Joe hinted that they might go to a six-man rotation when Yu returns. Cubs are kinda between a rock and a hard place at the moment because Montgomery is pitching too well to take out of the rotation, but Chatwood is both a) being paid too much and b) way too wild to go to the pen, so they'd have to come up with an excuse to DL him.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Miz Kriss posted:

:swoon: that's almoooora

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Miz Kriss posted:

holy poo poo :eyepop:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I like to think I’m witty :haw:

Also, Lester tweeted this earlier https://twitter.com/jlester34/status/1009815825006694402?s=21

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
With how serious/angry Lester always looks I just figured he took the great defense behind him for granted. It's nice to see he appreciates how fantastic it really is.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Oh yeah. I think he either has resting bitch face or just doesn’t know how to smile

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Someone please draw Javy Baez as a cat tia

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Lester is the tough love team leader. There was an Athletic article a few days ago about Montgomery, and Lester summed up his situation as "You feel like you get screwed, but at the same time, yeah, you can go pitch for Baltimore and suck and still have the same ERA and be 2-7, you know what I mean?" :allears:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

"rawr XD" - javy baez

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

"rawr XD" - javy baez

This makes me uncomfortable.

I'm gonna be real bummed out if tonights game gets postponed.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Look what Poque scrounged up for me :swoon:

Poque posted:

"rawr XD" - javy baez

El Meowgo

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 22, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Really nice of him to make you a custom hat of your AV.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Cubs have no pride. They got their rings, now they are just coasting hoping to not get hurt and have long careers. They won to early, blow it up start over.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/PWSullivan/status/1010978875403325444

At least I have an excuse to tune in tomorrow, because otherwise I really, really wouldn't.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/PWSullivan/status/1010978875403325444

At least I have an excuse to tune in tomorrow, because otherwise I really, really wouldn't.

Please do good things. I can't handle another day of this.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Am now very glad to have been away from baseball for the weekend.

Was there a rationale given for the Farrell start? Just wanted to push an extra day of rest in for the rotation during a long stretch of games?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

Was there a rationale given for the Farrell start? Just wanted to push an extra day of rest in for the rotation during a long stretch of games?

It was a combination of the double header last week loving up the rotation (either Montgomery or Chatwood would have had to pitch on four days rest) and Chatwood being on baby-watch. AFAIK the plan was to have him pitch yesterday and leave him behind for the series with the Dodgers so he could be with his wife, but she went into labor before the game yesterday so they had to put him on paternity leave, have Montgomery start, and bring up Underwood.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I like that today's game will feature the two teams that have been in the NLCS the past two seasons, but also the two teams that suffered 4-game sweeps at the hands of the Reds this year.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
MOTHERFUCKING JUSTIN loving WILSON

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Popete posted:

MOTHERFUCKING JUSTIN loving WILSON

Can we dfa him yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

loving hate the June swoon. :sigh:

• Locked thread