Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you type via the homerow method?
Yes, it is very helpful
No, I do not
I only type by mashing my face on the keyboard at sheer random
How Goku types
View Results

• Locked thread
let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I dicktate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Sort of, op. My hands kind of hover over home row and I can type an acceptable 70-ish wpm doing it that way. What pains me is watching my students type on my lab computers or their Chromebooks. Indiana took typing out of the middle school curriculum so even at high school level they hunt and peck at 8wpm.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I still do. I don't pay that much attention to how other people type though
e: actually wait I didn't learn homerow until my 20s

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I type by shooting lasers out of my eyes. I may or not be a small dog.

World War Mammories posted:

come at me and my superior homerow technique :smuggo:

e: lmfao I got owned by the most recent score in my own screenshot :negative:

578 CPM *squints* Craps Per Minute???

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
what kind of idiot scrub doesn't naturally rest his left hand on wasd, shift/ctrl and spacebar?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I can even type like I was taught in school 1 handed if needed. Even if it's my left hand on the right side keys (or my right on the left side keys). I am still using multiple fingers to type.

I literally cannot type in another way.

Uh huh

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I use homerow more or less. I don't use my right pinky that much for some reason and yeah my left hand sits closer to WASD than anything else lol.

But very lol if you hunt and peck in 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Not at all. I've never been hindered by my typing speed. Choosing what to type warrants way more effort and thought than the manner by which you type it.

At work I use one of these bad boys though and it rules. Moving your wrists while typing does suck. Spare your wrists.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Mavis Beacon taught me how to type like that but I never used it

I just use my own style now I learned from wasting my entire life on internet forums

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Not at all. I've never been hindered by my typing speed. Choosing what to type warrants way more effort and thought than the manner by which you type it.

At work I use one of these bad boys though and it rules. Moving your wrists while typing does suck. Spare your wrists.

If you're used to a certain method you're not thinking about it though. It's the hunt and peck people who put more thought in than required because they don't know where 99% of the keyboard is just by muscle memory.

Anyway the system being discussed is more or less a way to minimize wrist movement as much as possible so imo you're tacitly supporting it without realizing it.

I don't think it is important to have a strict system though sure. As long as it works for you. Hunt and peck isn't anything though it's just someone in need of practice.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I have a qwerty keyboard but it takes dvorak inputs so nobody can type on it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

COMRADES posted:

If you're used to a certain method you're not thinking about it though. It's the hunt and peck people who put more thought in than required because they don't know where 99% of the keyboard is just by muscle memory.

Anyway the system being discussed is more or less a way to minimize wrist movement as much as possible so imo you're tacitly supporting it without realizing it.

I don't think it is important to have a strict system though sure. As long as it works for you. Hunt and peck isn't anything though it's just someone in need of practice.

Yeah, no doubt the home row method shares that philosophy with me - I just don't think it's worth deviating from the subconscious patterns I derived myself. I'm sure I *am* closer to home row standard because of that keyboard now.

It's not just about wrist movement - the angle and separation help a lot. It's not actually that comfortable to have your wrists rotated 90 degrees over a flat horizontal like a standard keyboard. (You can probably notice this by just mindfully holding your hands in the air and then rotating them and observing how they feel.) A vertical keyboard might even be better - this mouse definitely is:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 14, 2018

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The angle is nice I had a similar keyboard and it was noticeable. Gotta get another.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
Dvorak, bitches :smug:

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
I always wanted to try Dvorak but at this point I'm probably too used to qwerty.

It seems like they would make one of those macbook keyboard condoms with a dvorak overlay but as far as i can tell, they don't

also if you get used to dvorak you probably gently caress up on every computer in existence outside some dark, forgotten, smelly unix room deep in a university somewhere where a bearded man has been living since 1977.

berth ell pup fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 14, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i used to type crazy fast back when i was really into mmos. i had to be, to spam dick jokes while playing. i've slowed way down since.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

COMRADES posted:

I think people talking about a natural method that came from hunt and peck do have they keyboard memorized they don't just really use all their fingers as efficiently as possible. Home row would certainly be better than what I do now but mid 80's wpm is already p fast and would be fine for p much any typing related job.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Former DILF posted:

I absolutely do, i learned how to type with mavis beacon and i learned how to type fast calling people the n word in half life mod multiplayer games

nailed it on the first post

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
My teachers didn't really pay attention to me during computer classes so I just played games mostly, never had no Mavis Beacon to Teach me Typing

I just use my index fingers mostly and do whatever. Nothing relies on me typing efficiently or fast so who gives a poo poo

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Alucard posted:

I have a qwerty keyboard but it takes dvorak inputs so nobody can type on it.

My paranoid ex dealer friend did this with his dark web laptop, didn't stop the DEA from paying him a visit and presumably accessing his files

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Kazak posted:

My paranoid ex dealer friend did this with his dark web laptop, didn't stop the DEA from paying him a visit and presumably accessing his files

Keystroke loggers don't give a gently caress what type of keyboard you're using

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I don't think I quite line up with home row, my fingers just kind of hover over the keyboard and then move around form muscle memory. It doesn't feel like I use my left pinky or ring finger much. I taught myself to type by playing MUDs when I was growing up though and especially for player vs. player stuff being able to type quickly and accurately was a necessity.

I hit 108WPM, I think I used to be quite a bit higher but I've stopped playing text based games and don't do anything where I need to write particularly fast, so eh.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

berth ell pup posted:

I always wanted to try Dvorak but at this point I'm probably too used to qwerty.

It seems like they would make one of those macbook keyboard condoms with a dvorak overlay but as far as i can tell, they don't

also if you get used to dvorak you probably gently caress up on every computer in existence outside some dark, forgotten, smelly unix room deep in a university somewhere where a bearded man has been living since 1977.

don't doxx me man :ohdear:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

The first time I took it it was busted and let me type the whole thing but still only counted a minute so I got 348 WPM which seemed a little off. This seems more reasonable. I kind of do the home row thing but more spread out and not all in one row. Like the other goon I taught myself by spending over 30000 hours of my life in from middle school to college playing a MUD.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I learn to type with one hand on wasd in the other hand on my Mouse as a child because I played Doom and Quake and UT. The poor Elementary School teacher never knew what hit her when I installed cracked versions of Starcraft on every single computer in the lab

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
70wpm homerow typing bitches. the only things i do different is that my hands are too small to use shift + letter so I gotta capslock-uncapslock, and gotta move my hands away from the homerow at times to reach stuff (but always return)

some guy i guess
Jan 31, 2011
I learnt to type quickly through online games but it was a weird 2 fingers on each hand hunt-n-peck style. 10 years later I wanted to learn homerow typing but couldn't unlearn my bad habits so I switched to Colemak and now nobody can use my computer :mmmsmug:

E: caps lock and backspace are also switched and it blows people's minds

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm all over the place and don't really use my pinkies very much at all but I type fast enough so :shrug:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

EorayMel posted:

Do people still do things like putting their fingers on the home row of their keyboard and only moving each finger one key over to hit adjacent keys? Even as I am typing now I'm not following any of those typing principles. My hands are all over the place.
The "intended" way feels way too slow and stiff.

I'm talking about stuff like this, for those who do not know:

Does anybody still type like this? I know I don't.

I do.

How many words a minute are you getting with your method?

I took one year of typing in high school and I'm very glad I did. When I was in college I was typing 80 words a minute (because I was typing tons of papers), now it's more like 60. Which I think is pretty good.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

star eater posted:

wtf how can you NOT use home row on a physical keyboard

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Mammal Sauce posted:

Sort of, op. My hands kind of hover over home row and I can type an acceptable 70-ish wpm doing it that way. What pains me is watching my students type on my lab computers or their Chromebooks. Indiana took typing out of the middle school curriculum so even at high school level they hunt and peck at 8wpm.

loving administrators, man.

"Computers are the future, so we're gonna ram Chromebooks down every middle schooler's throat. But that typing class can gently caress right off."

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

I never learned homerow or anything but I was home schooled

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

QWERTY was literally invented to SLOW DOWN typing, because the old type machines would jam if you hit the keys too fast.

Fukn lame iyam

Edit: gently caress yes I learned to type on a computer and I get an easy 110wpm with no warmup, unfortunately I do most of my shitposting on mobile these days

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'm at work on my laptop keyboard and I had to talk with someone while doing it. I can probably get ~168wpm on this kind of test at home, because it is only easy words.

I don't type properly. I do kind of sit homerow, but I over use my index and middle fingers. Certain keys I will press with 2 or more fingers depending on the combination used in the word. The secret to typing faster than ~130wpm for me is to focus hard on reading ahead. On speed reading tests I can read much faster, but when I have to read in a way that registers for typing it takes a lot of focus and feels like I can only type as fast as I can read.

My typeracer average is ~134wpm but I don't skip difficult passages that are loaded with symbols and bog me down. It takes maybe 4-5 races to get a 170+ wpm run.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 14, 2018

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I will have to test my speed at some point but lately I've spoken a lot of my lame posts into the phone.
I am so used to homerow that I replaced WASD with ASDF.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

spacetoaster posted:

I do.

How many words a minute are you getting with your method?

I took one year of typing in high school and I'm very glad I did. When I was in college I was typing 80 words a minute (because I was typing tons of papers), now it's more like 60. Which I think is pretty good.

Feels about right tbh

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Death to those that betray Mavis Beacon

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I usually type with my balls unless i have to pee in which case i still type with my balls

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Dolphin posted:

I usually type with my balls unless i have to pee in which case i still type with my balls

I type with my pee, such is the force and accuracy of my piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Lol at everyone falling for the myth that Dvorak is faster, it's a complete myth with 0 evidence.

• Locked thread