Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RELEASE DATE: JULY 13

AVAILABLE FOR PRE-PURCHASE AT THE E-SHOP

DEMO AVAILABLE

TO ACCESS THE FINAL DUNGEON, WATCH THIS VIDEO (BUT BEWARE OF SPOILERS!!)

Octopath Traveler is a game made by the developers of Bravely Default/Second, which were some cool JRPGs for the 3DS, and this looks like a cool JRPG for everyone's favorite system, the Switch. I'm gonna need to pick one up myself soon...

TOO LONG, WON'T READ POST, GIVE ME THE DEETS posted:

Eight travelers. Eight adventures. Eight roles to play in a new world brought to life in the Octopath Traveler game by Square Enix. Explore each traveler’s story and use their abilities in and out of battle. Will you expand your horizons as the merchant or track down a traitor as the warrior? Where will you go? Who will join you? You alone can choose your path.

Step into the shoes of a traveler to inherit their struggles and strengths. Use each character’s special abilities to interact with the world and enhance your tactics in turn-based battles. The dancer’s alluring charm leads followers into battle, whereas the apothecary can mix items to heal allies or unleash explosive attacks. Discover enemy weaknesses and target them to break through their defenses. Store Boost Points with each turn and then spend them at strategic times to strengthen abilities, chain attacks, or provide aid. Choose the path you wish to walk and discover what lies beyond the horizon.

GAMEPLAY

Octopath has two gimmicks going for it: its visual presentation and the 8 playable characters with their own stories and their "path actions".

Dubbed HD-2D for some reason, the visuals obviously hearken back to old-school JRPGs from the SNES era, but in an HD world with orchestral music and crazy After Effect filters.

In Octopath Traveler, you can start your journey with any one of the 8 playable characters:
Olberic the Warrior
Cyrus the Scholar
Therion the Thief
Ophilia the Cleric
Primrose the Dancer
Alfyn the Apothacery
Tressa the Merchant
H'aanit the Hunter

You will eventually be able to recruit all the different characters into your party and do their own personal stories. Surprisingly little... in fact, nothing at all... has been said about the game's main overarching story - the focus has been squarely on each character's independent storyline. Something to be excited about finding out in the actual game!

What we do know is that as you progress through the game, you will encounter obstacles that need to be overcome through use of the characters' path actions. There are two sets of path actions: Noble and Rogue. Noble path actions have restrictions placed on them: Tressa's path action, Purchase, allows her to buy items from people she meets, but at the cost of your money. Therion the Thief, meanwhile, can rob those people of their items for free, but with a chance of failure. If you fail, you will take a hit to your reputation in that region, which has CONSEQUENCES.

With the 8 characters, and the Noble and Rogue path actions split between them, there are essentially 4 types of path actions:
Fight - Olberic (Noble) and H'aanit (Rogue) are able to fight NPCs, to get them out of the way and extra experience points + goodies.
Items - Tressa (Noble) and Therion (Rogue) were detailed above.
Guide - Ophilia (Noble) and Primrose (Rogue) can ask NPCs to follow them, meaning you can guide them to areas or have them join in battle.
Information - Alfyn (Noble) and Cyrus (Rogue) can discover information about NPCs and receive bonuses in towns such as discounts.

COMBAT

There's quite a few things going on here, so let's get the easy bulletpoints out of the way first:
- Turn-based with turn order visible on top of screen
- Job system
- 4 party members in a fight (Ophilia and Primrose are able to call in NPCs to aid in combat, so technically a maximum of 6!)
- Hit enemy weaknesses and use Boost to Be Good At Game

So let's get to the meat and potatoes of the combat system.
As you fight, you accrue BP: Boost Points.

Alfyn has 0, Olberic has 2.

You are able to use your BP to either A) attack with your normal weapon multiple times, or B) boost the potential of your skills.

Different enemies are weak to different types of attacks!
Each enemy has a shield with a number on it. When you hit an enemy with an attack they are weak to, this number decreases by one.
When this number is 0, the enemy becomes Broken: they skip their next turn, and take extra damage from attacks.

The rhythm of the battle is then as follows:
1) Find out what your enemy is weak to!
2) Whittle down their shields! You can Boost your normal attack to hit several times, allowing one character to reduce an enemy with 3 shields to Break in one turn! Or use skills that hit multiple times!
3) Once the enemy is vulnerable, Boost your hard hitting skills to deal EXTREME DAMAGE

Unboosted, normal attack against an enemy not in Break:

A skill that has been Boosted, hitting the same enemy in Break:

Wow!!!!

Other things you'll want to use your Boosts on in combat that is not about dealing damage:
Buffing and Debuffing.
Healing.
Stealing.
Capturing beasts.
And more! Use Boosts. You Must Use Boosts To Be Good At Game.

To get more skills, you must fight in battle and get yourself some JP: Job Points. You then spend these on different skills in different jobs to find new and efficient ways to brutally murder wildlife.

FAQ
"What should I do to be good at this game?"
Learn when to hold back and when to spend all your BP! Use your BP! BP is what this is all about! You don't need to grind for levels, just get better at using BP!!

"Is this like, an open world game?"
Kind of, I guess!(?) You start with whatever character you want, and then go to different regions and meet & recruit the other characters! We really don't have much info about this yet!

"How do I unlock new jobs?"
Starting in the areas in the "outer ring" from where all the characters are (the areas in which the different Chapter 2s take place), there are shrines scattered about that unlock the different subjobs. These can be accessed at any time, even at early levels... though you might have to dodge death for a while if you do. Note that you do not reclass, merely equip the job as a subjob: they will always retain their original class: Cyrus cannot become a Merchant-Warrior.
There might also be more/advanced job classes?!?!

"What are these purple chests? I can't open them!"
Therion the Thief is the only one who can open those!

"The chance of stealing an item/capturing a beast is too low!"
The lower the enemy's HP, the higher the chance of successfully stealing from them/capturing them! Use Boosts to increase your chances even further!!

"Tressa is really cute."
I agree!

Terper fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Stealing for potential future use, like art.

Such as this 3D model of Tressa by Your Computer!!

Terper fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 13, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Good OP, here's hoping for a good game :toot:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

poo poo I forgot to add the "Which character are you starting with?" poll

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

Really no point to it when the only valid option is Tressa.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I’m not big into JRPGs (I don’t flat out dislike them, I just never really got into them) and I LOVED the first demo. It’s really the only 2018 game I’ve been looking forward to after a jam packed 2017. Can’t wait to try the new demo.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i dunno why but i wasn't really excited for this game until the past week or two, i think it just took me awhile to get used to the look of it or maybe i still had some residual bad taste in my mouth from bravely default

luckily they found a better reason for heavy asset re-use in this one than they did in BD so i'm confident i'll like this one more

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If this game is half as good as Bravely Default I'll be a happy clam.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Haven't been this excited for an RPG since I imported Xenoblade Chronicles from Europe years ago. Looks absolutely fantastic and it's cool how the demo actually served as a functional beta wherein the directors took feedback to heart and improved content.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Terper posted:

I'm starting with either Cyrus or Alfyn.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Folt The Bolt posted:

I'm starting with either Cyrus or Alfyn.

Ditto.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I went from not caring about this game at all to being pretty excited to play it day 1 just as more info came out about the characters and how their unique stuff works. I might start as one of the Guide characters just so I can make random old men fight on my side in battles that much sooner.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We haven't heard anything about the demo limitations other than "3 hours" right?

I really hope it won't be a realtime restriction, half the fun with RPGs for me is taking my time.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I can't wait.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Given it will transfer to the full game, I think it's safe to assume it is not a time limit.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Your Computer posted:

If this game is half as good as Bravely Default I'll be a happy clam.

I just hope they don't do any weird poo poo this time

'cause like, the first half of Bravely Default is awesome. 10/10, zero caveats

And then they start doing the weird poo poo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's everyone's opinion on the ~*~HD-2D~*~? I've posted too much about it in too many threads already, but do other people generally like it? :v:

Rasamune posted:

I just hope they don't do any weird poo poo this time

'cause like, the first half of Bravely Default is awesome. 10/10, zero caveats

And then they start doing the weird poo poo

that's fair :pram:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Your Computer posted:

What's everyone's opinion on the ~*~HD-2D~*~? I've posted too much about it in too many threads already, but do other people generally like it? :v:
I really like the style and would say it's a big contributor to my interest in the game. It certainly made the game stand out over other retro inspired RPG's.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Great OP, definitely been hyped about the game since the first demo and can’t wait to buy it.

Really dig the 2D-HD style myself. Makes the game stand out, and it looks a lot better in motion than I would have expected.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I love the ~2D-HD~ cause it's good sprite work mixed with the cool poo poo they did with the lighting and effects in 3D Dot Game Heroes.

I really hope the combat is a bit more fun with a full party than it was in the original demo where it seemed pretty slow. Either way this game makes the retro inspired games that Tokyo Game Factory are doing look even worse, it's pretty sad.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Literally the only thing I didn't like from the first demo is that it seemed to imply you could only view the 'prologue' chapter of the 1st character you pick - when you recruit the next character it's past that part of their story. I'm a sucker for origin stories, and the two in the demo both seemed really well done so I hope I don't have to essentially start the game 8 times if I want to experience them myself.

Anyway, the game seems super rad and I am so ready for it. I saw on Twitter it's an 80-100 hour game with sidequests which completely changed how I thought this game would unfold. That's completely absurd

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I’m so hosed up for this game that I’m vibrating. I want to start with either Tressa or H’aanit, although shout out to Primrose for having the coolest theme.

Do you think the demo will be available at midnight or what time? I got traveling to do, son.

Also, Square has been so quiet about the story that I’m going to laugh my rear end off when Chrono, Lucca and Marle just gate into the middle of the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

WarpDogs posted:

Literally the only thing I didn't like from the first demo is that it seemed to imply you could only view the 'prologue' chapter of the 1st character you pick - when you recruit the next character it's past that part of their story. I'm a sucker for origin stories, and the two in the demo both seemed really well done so I hope I don't have to essentially start the game 8 times if I want to experience them myself.

Anyway, the game seems super rad and I am so ready for it. I saw on Twitter it's an 80-100 hour game with sidequests which completely changed how I thought this game would unfold. That's completely absurd

No, once you get all the party members there's an option to play their origin. The latest overall trailer literally said you can experience all their origins in one playthrough.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I am so goddamn hyped for this game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I guess I'm the weirdo when it comes to the visuals :shobon: It's good to hear other people enjoy it anyway. I know they've said one of the one of the changes since the first demo is being able to "tone it down" so hopefully I'll be able to update my opinion on it tomorrow.

Bean posted:

Do you think the demo will be available at midnight or what time? I got traveling to do, son.

Not here in the EU, that's for sure :v: I think the usual update time for us is in like, 12 hours

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Good call on the title :shobon:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’m so excited for this game after I had a chance to play the demo. The demo is also convincing me to start off as Primrose, but I hope I get the chance to recruit my team of badass ladies traversing the world and being generally badass.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The demo will probably be up at 14.00 BST/15.00 CEST for EU, and 5pm EDT/1pm PDT for NA. That's when the eShop updates.

I've been hyped for this since the Switch reveal event in January '17, since it looked so much like Bravely Default. I never played too much of the first demo but I'll probably spend more time with this demo now.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I guess I'm the weirdo when it comes to the visuals :shobon: It's good to hear other people enjoy it anyway. I know they've said one of the one of the changes since the first demo is being able to "tone it down" so hopefully I'll be able to update my opinion on it tomorrow.

I know they fixed some of the cave lighting and stuff which is what bothered me the most in the first demo. But overall I liked the aesthetic a lot. Just something that looks very cool and separates it from a lot of other games.

If Square remastered some of the older Final Fantasy games to look similar, and released them on the Switch I would love to play them.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The Nintendo Direct trailer featuring Tressa sold me on the game. The visuals + 'play as a merchant" screamed cozy to me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

elf help book posted:

The Nintendo Direct trailer featuring Tressa sold me on the game. The visuals + 'play as a merchant" screamed cozy to me.
Tressa + Alfyn + Ophilia + Cyrus seems like the coziest, most pleasant party one can build. Maybe replace Cyrus with Olberic, but he's got the whole "raaah revenge for my liege" thing going on while Cyrus just wants to chill and read a book.

Terper fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 14, 2018

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm pretty excited for the game. I wrote a lot of notes for the last demo in the survey they sent out cause theres a lot of things to work out and tweak. Namely the UI needed some work so hopefully it came out for the better.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

3 hours huh? I guess you could devote 30 mins to each of the 6 characters that weren't in the first demo.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So I didn't play the first demo. I had heard about the game in gameplay only and didn't even realize this was that game during the E3 trailer release and new demo announcement. Only later did I realize I did know about this game.

I downloaded the original demo already, I grabbed it once I realized I wanted to play the game. :D I guess it kind of depends on if the new demo really has a time limit that is restrictive, but outside that, is there really going to be a point in playing the first demo?

I guess I'm about 2 hours early to really ask this question, but hopefully before i leave work in 6 hours I'll have a better answer as to whether I spend my time playing the first demo or just deleting it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
drat this is gonna be good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

drat this is gonna be good

hosed up wonderful if true

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The demo is reportedly live on the E-Shop.

If you can't find it, just search for "Octopath".

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

The demo is reportedly live on the E-Shop.

If you can't find it, just search for "Octopath".

:woop::woop::woop:

e: it's taking a long time to download, either it's a sizable download or my internet is screwing up

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Ehhh I was gonna end up buying a Switch anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Your Computer posted:

:woop::woop::woop:

e: it's taking a long time to download, either it's a sizable download or my internet is screwing up

Interesting, it's not showing up on my eShop yet.

I was looking at the main game, the completely different demo release is downloading now!

Virigoth fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 14, 2018