Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Does it matter that much who I start with? Does it seem like it may impact the long term narrative or anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
The dialogue is awful with like "seeketh" and similar fake olde English. Is this just the Hunter or is the whole game like this?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Meldonox posted:

Does it matter that much who I start with? Does it seem like it may impact the long term narrative or anything?

Well, the first one you start with will have an easier time finishing their Chapter 1. Once you start recruiting other characters, the Chapter 1 and starting region, more enemies will be battled per encounter, and you'll eventually get introduced to tougher enemies alongside the weaker ones. Each character's Chapter 1 boss also get tougher with higher stats, more Shield Points, an expanded moveset, and more advanced tactics to make up for the fact that your party is getting bigger and stronger and are more able to take advantage of enemy weaknesses. Though this seems to only be done to let you start with anyone, be able to go and recruit the rest, and still get progressively more challenging (in a mostly fair way) fights (as well as getting everyone up to speed in terms of levels) during the starting phase, since the Chapter 2 stories have fixed levels from what I can see on the world map (Primrose has one of the lower Chapter 2 level caps at only 21 compared to some of the other travelers).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

empathe posted:

The dialogue is awful with like "seeketh" and similar fake olde English. Is this just the Hunter or is the whole game like this?

I shaketh mine head, thine opinion is badde and thou should'st be ashame'd

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really like Alfyn as a starting character. He has a good plot setup and I really loved how he fuckin' smack-talked a snake before and after beating the poo poo out of it :allears: I think he's gonna be the dude I stick with as my "main character" guy.

empathe posted:

It's probably just H'aanit. The four prologues I've played (Alfyn, Olberic, Primrose, and Cyrus) all had totally modern English dialog writing.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Your Computer posted:

I shaketh mine head, thine opinion is badde and thou should'st be ashame'd

Oof

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Harrow posted:

I really like Alfyn as a starting character. He has a good plot setup and I really loved how he fuckin' smack-talked a snake before and after beating the poo poo out of it :allears: I think he's gonna be the dude I stick with as my "main character" guy.

It's probably just H'aanit. The four prologues I've played (Alfyn, Olberic, Primrose, and Cyrus) all had totally modern English dialog writing.

Alfyn is my second favorite (my favorite is Cyrus). He owns! :allears:

Definitely starting up a second save file with Alfyn as my main once the game comes out.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I asked the guy on Reddit, and they said that inactive party members don't get any exp. Bummer. :( Though it seems like the exp scaling between levels will make catching them up not terribly bad, considering the game wants you to use all 8.

Exp scaling (like in Suikoden) should be mandatory in games where inactive party members don't get exp.

Shyfted One posted:

Incorrect. Beastmaster -> Thief -> Chemist -> Dancer.

I look forward to the Four Path Fiesta runs of this in the future.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I’m glad you all have played SaGa frontier 2. I rented it in high school and thought I had a fever dream. I wanted to love it so badly but not a thing in that game makes sense.

And no one talks about it! It’s way more unfinished then something like Xenogears and no one cares. It’s so weird.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Shyfted One posted:

Incorrect. Beastmaster -> Thief -> Chemist -> Dancer.

This unironically would be my choice except H'aanit's dialogue makes me wanna die; it's only one off from my intended start

empathe posted:

It's H'aanit

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 16, 2018

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Bean posted:

I’m glad you all have played SaGa frontier 2. I rented it in high school and thought I had a fever dream. I wanted to love it so badly but not a thing in that game makes sense.

And no one talks about it! It’s way more unfinished then something like Xenogears and no one cares. It’s so weird.

That's because SaGa Frontier 2 isn't sexy - the state of its incompletion is so immediately obvious that it's a boring kind of unfinished. It's equivalent to losing a game by four points versus forty; sure, they're both losses, but the nearer miss hurts more or at least stays fresher in the memory. Xenogears also trades in shallow Christian iconography and cheap philosophy 101 discourse common to a lot of the Japanese media I remember from that period (the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion comes to mind first) and developed a cult following as a result; SaGa Frontier 2 reminds me much more of the Ivalice cycle of Squaresoft/Square-Enix games (Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy XII), where the plot is a lot less direct than "kill God while you interpret SYMBOLISM" and is summarily dismissed as dry or boring. Interpretive works have a baked-in hook, because the plot can sorta be about whatever you want it to be about, and you can then debate with other jerks on the internet about it ad nauseum. What's present in SaGa Frontier 2's plot is no less interesting to me but inherently much more risky - instead of following a single character or even group of characters, you get disparate groups with disparate goals doing disparate plots and what's more, some of them die suddenly and without a true resolution to their plotline and then you start playing as their successors and/or children, who have goals of their own that are informed by their forebears but aren't exactly aligned, etc. etc....

It's kind of like the difference between a character-centric story and a narrative-centric story. SaGa Frontier 2, Ivalice games, Tactics Ogre, and the like have stories that feel like the world itself is at least as important as the characters in it, and that you're viewing a small slice of a much larger pie. Games like Final Fantasy VII, Xenogears, and Legend of Dragoon feel like, you know, if the main characters were to stop doing The Plot, the setting would kind of collapse. Other characters don't feel alive or important - they're there to deliver exposition or sell items to the Main Characters and that's it. The narrative, world-building, everything revolves around the anime boy with the sword driving the action. In SaGa Frontier 2 you are intentionally not given any such character to latch on to - except for Gustav, who dies unceremoniously and off-screen lol

If anything, though, criticism of Bravely's storylines and failures like SaGa Frontier/2 are likely why Octopath Traveler will have a fairly straightforward or even bare-bones "overarching" story, assuming one exists at all. The easiest route they could take would be to have eight separate stories that sometimes have little references to one another; maybe you have a story event here and there where the overlapping characters interact (Cyrus and Primrose seem like obvious candidates for this), but maybe there really won't be like a "the whole band is working together for the same goal" thing. I dunno. The way you recruit the other Travelers into your party is so pitifully contrived and anti-climactic that it discouraged me a little. I could be wrong! Hopefully am, in fact.

Speaking more of Octopath Traveler, does anyone have a clean sprite sheet of Therion? I want to blow up an image of him doing his Path Action pose so I can make a perler art of him to hang in my car, but so far I haven't had any luck.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is this a SaGa game?

It smells like one, but it has things like detailed game mechanics

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is this a SaGa game?

It's closer to Bravely than SaGa

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is this a SaGa game?

Feels like SaGa Frontier 1 + Bravely Default to me, for the most part

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
So, after playing through all the characters, I started over with the run I want to have for when the game really comes off, and ho boy did I make some progress.

I managed to speed through a lot, starting with Therion, and then collecting Alfyn, Primrose, Olberic, and finally Tressa. Right before I got to Tressa, I managed to kill one of those cat thief guys, who I discovered were basically metal slimes. Everyone went up a ton of levels, being around the 15-16 range, and I just sat there slack-jawed for a second.

This didn't actually make things too easy for me, though. Enemies seem to beef up the more allies and/or levels you collect, and battles still need a good amount of strategy to get through them efficiently. Tressa's boss fight was actually quite a long undertaking, despite how over-leveled I had gotten.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Just finished my three hours; started with Tressa because I liked Recettear, and went clockwise. My time ran out just as I finished Alfyn's prologue story and went to go to the viper cave.

The game was enjoyable so far, and I enjoy Tressa and Primrose's job-related victory lines. I'm mostly confused as to how hard Olberic's and Primrose's bosses were; they were significantly harder than the other enemies nearby, though that could be because I had to spend turns picking up the weaker allies that just joined.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
As far as each character's special ability (steal, recruit other characters and so on) do you get to use the abilities for every character in your party or only for the main character?
I may check this out whenever I get a Switch

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You can use the Path Actions of any character in your active party, yes.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Ok, I started with Tressa because she’s the cutest merchant and best character in this game. I went Tressa -> Cyrus -> Ophilia and got stopped halfway through Ophilia’s story. I can’t believe I have to wait a month to lla6 it again. The battle system is so good and I love the characters, visuals and music. God, the music is so nice to listen too I could just do so forever.

Also, I managed to piss off the townspeople enough with snooping around with Cyrus at Ophilia’s starting town that I managed to trigger the bad reputation penalty. In essence, no path actions will be allowed with any of the townspeople, even the noble actions. Additionally, it cost 5000 gold/whatever the currency is at the tavern to improve your reputation, which is a heavy ask at this stage of the game. I’m not sure if that’s going to scale as levels and money increase or if it will always stay at 5000. In any case, when I started Ophilia’s story, my reputation improved again, so I didn’t need to pay a fee to let Cyrus continue snooping into people’s lives and finding out about hidden items, discounts at the inn and easier guidance.

I really love the path actions and how they interact with the game. Getting to buy items from townspeople at cheaper prices than at the store or not even present in the store makes you feel like a little merchant trying to find the best deals and I can see some items are made for the thief to steal since they’re expensive and mostly exist to sell to the shops at a modest cost. I love reading about the little stories that each townperson gets when you scrutinise them and I hope there are more instances where you get to solve mysteries with Cyrus. I never got a chance to use the summon ability in battle, but I remember doing so with Primrose in the first trailer and I thought that was a fun & unique mechanic too.

In the end, I’m glad I preordered this game and I’m super eager to play it out fully till the end. Tressa is the best and cutest, Cyrus is awesome and no characters stick out as annoying as hell so far. I’m looking forward to seeing how the story plays out and just how the characters interact with each other down the line. This might end up being one of my top games of the year, though I may be getting ahead of myself. The worst thing about this demo is now I have to wait to play it for a month.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jimmydalad posted:

The worst thing about this demo is now I have to wait to play it for a month.

:yeah:

:negative:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

characters outside of the party not gaining exp, if true, is really bad imo

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah this game is dope. My only complaint is the no party interaction is weird, but it supposedly gets better in the final game.

The demo could last you a while too. I want to do the high level version of all the bosses

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Oh yes, one more thing: Both boss themes (that I've heard) are dope as hell! Game is gonna own on the music front!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

characters outside of the party not gaining exp, if true, is really bad imo

Yeah that's a design decision I will never understand.

That said, it does use EXP scaling to make it really easy to catch people up. It's just... it wouldn't need that if inactive party members just got EXP in the first place.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
This game is loving awesome

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Is there a time limit to the demo's availability? I have it downloaded but I'm kinda tempted to put off playing it for a week or two so I'm not sitting around waiting for the game to come out for as long.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
As far as I know the demo's not going anywhere. No reason really to remove it when it's being used to entice people to try the game in the first place, and since the demo already has a time/content limit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not even going to play the demo because I hate time limits

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Harrow posted:

Yeah that's a design decision I will never understand.

That said, it does use EXP scaling to make it really easy to catch people up. It's just... it wouldn't need that if inactive party members just got EXP in the first place.

I'm ok with a game like Suikoden's system: People not in the party don't gain XP but you catch up in a couple fights.

...or blow past the current content's level if you want to game the system a bit (especially with a champion rune).

Meldonox posted:

Is there a time limit to the demo's availability? I have it downloaded but I'm kinda tempted to put off playing it for a week or two so I'm not sitting around waiting for the game to come out for as long.

You could do what I did recently: Get (back) in to Disgaea 5.

Finally unlocked the Land of Carnage questline last night. :ssj:

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
H'aanit is really amazing in the early game. Started with her and about to get my 4th in Primrose and her summon beast ability just wrecks so many things. Break a bunch of enemies on the first or second turn and then just boost summon her default beast (which will likely use sweep) and everything dies at no skill cost. Makes random battles really easy and Capture is just a cool mechanic that can quickly take enemies out of the fight as well.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

You could do what I did recently: Get (back) in to Disgaea 5.

Finally unlocked the Land of Carnage questline last night. :ssj:

That's a thought. I've actually been meaning to.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I just got back into Bravely Second. I liked the first one, but this one for some reason I'm just not jiving with.

In Chapter 2, done every side quest so far, and it feels like it's just dragging on.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Meldonox posted:

That's a thought. I've actually been meaning to.

If you only want to run the story it doesn't take too long to get through the game.

If you want to do the regular post game stuff, it's not too bad if you use the cheat shop and the martial training levels to power level. Especially if you also use good DLC characters like Desco and Metallia.

If you want to do Land of Carnage... :unsmigghh:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
So the characters you can get in the demo are limited by where you start? I was hoping to skip around and got confused when I had to beeline instead from H’aanit to Ophelia.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If this game doesn’t go full on Bravely Default-style batshit I will be very disappointed, cause it just seems like a bog standard JRPG so far.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm like 70% sure things are going to get weird

e: also someone mentioned the music. It's pretty good! I'm still sad that we never got more Revo though, because :tviv: the Bravely Default soundtrack

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Letters dissolve to reveal the true title

OCTOPATH TRAVELLER
pcTOpatH travELLer
TO H ELL
[b]TO I just realised the game is using the american spelling and my fun joke is loving ruined

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Your Computer posted:

I'm like 70% sure things are going to get weird

e: also someone mentioned the music. It's pretty good! I'm still sad that we never got more Revo though, because :tviv: the Bravely Default soundtrack

where the gently caress is Masashi Hamauzu is what I wanna know

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pretty sure the Shyamalan twist of the game will just be a connection to BD3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Crono, Lucca and Marle just gate in in the middle of it