Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I believe in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Your Computer posted:

I don't know how the SaGa games are structured, but I assume each character has their own main quest? Like I said in my previous post it looks like the character quests in this game are pretty short introductions and then you're supposed to gather everyone else. All the characters start like 2 minutes away from each other and when you meet them you get to do their prologue.

It's still weird to me that they haven't said anything about the main quest, but it looks like you'll gather all 8 characters and then the main story begins.

(In SaGa Frontier) You played the game seven times. A lot of the playable characters never even see each other. One of them can kill another one IIRC.

Harrow posted:

It seems like it's sort of like the SaGa games but you can do everything on one save file. It's like if the seven main characters in SaGa Frontier were all the recruitable characters and you could do all of their storylines concurrently, just sort of weaving them all together.

In retrospect, I'm ashamed that I didn't believe Silicon Studios would use this most obvious of solutions.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Alright, having played the demo, I think I can answer some questions regarding the characters:

I started off with Cyrus. He was pretty cool. Definitely the Black Mage of this game in terms of skills. When I completed his prologue, while Cyrus's story will continue in Quarrycrest, given that I do not know where it is, I decided to recruit the other travelers. I went for Tressa first, which is where I discovered that you basically get to play through the first half of her prologue, before I was allowed to recruit her. But from the text, I understood that I couldn't take her out of the town before I actually finish her immediate problem which was to deal with some pirates led by two goons named Mikk and Makk. But because I didn't start as her, for the second half of her prologue, my main (AKA Cyrus) was now fighting alongside her for the part where she would have gone it alone. Once I actually got her for reals, I went further downwards to Cobbleston and picked up Olberic, using him alone for the first part of his prologue story, then our team (consisting of Cyrus and Tressa) assisting him for latter part. My demo hours ran out when I finally got the cave where Gaston (aka Olberic's Prologue Boss) awaits us.

Since I managed to learn two skills for Tressa (Trade Tempest and Donate BP) and one for Olberic (The early Spear skill that I can't remember the name of right now), as well as 2 skills (Lightning and Analyze) for my main Cyrus, and also managed to level up all three (AKA full HP and SP for everyone) when my time was up, I'll be transfering this demo save to the real game, but I have a guest account I can use to experiment with the other characters.

Furthermore, I like that the locations that each character starts in means no matter whether you'll do a clockwise/counterclockwise or simply recruit the characters closest to your starting location, you can get all the four types of field actions early into your party. It also means that the character whose field action overlaps with yours is in the location furthest away from you meaning you always have the chance to recruit three characters to round out every type of field action for a full party of four before you can recruit duplicates.

EDIT: Speaking of Cyrus, holy crap! At the end of his story, the figure that appears when he leaves the town looks like one of the three Crow Men from the intro of Primrose's story.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 15, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Folt The Bolt posted:

Alright, having played the demo, I think I can answer some questions regarding the characters:

I started off with Cyrus. He was pretty cool. Definitely the Black Mage of this game in terms of skills. When I completed his prologue, while Cyrus's story will continue in Quarrycrest, given that I do not know where it is, I decided to recruit the other travelers. I went for Tressa first, which is where I discovered that you basically get to play through the first half of her prologue, before I was allowed to recruit her. But from the text, I understood that I couldn't take her out of the town before I actually finish her immediate problem which was to deal with some pirates led by two goons named Mikk and Makk. But because I didn't start as her, for the second half of her prologue, my main (AKA Cyrus) was now fighting alongside her for the part where she would have gone it alone. Once I actually got her for reals, I went further downwards to Cobbleston and picked up Olberic, using him alone for the first part of his prologue story, then our team (consisting of Cyrus and Tressa) assisting him for latter part. My demo hours ran out when I finally got the cave where Gaston (aka Olberic's Prologue Boss) awaits us.
I went from Tressa to Cyrus :toot::hf::toot:

Some observations I've made from the demo:
- The demo only lets you do the prologue of each character and the demo won't let you go outside the circle of roads connecting all the characters
- Looks like the story of each character might be more important than I thought anyway? :v: The only pointer on where to go next is a quest marker pointing to each character's "Chapter 2" (I had both Tressa and Cyrus' pointing to Quarrycrest though)
- The maps are a bit disappointing. It's basically pretty hallways and random encounters, no world map. Also every single screen has a save point?
- Combat scales, at least in the character quests. The recommended level for recruiting the characters also went up as I progressed.
- Apparently you can clear your bad reputation at inns, presumably for a fee?
- Tressa owns

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tressa is cute and I like merchant characters so I'm probably going to go with her. I have the game preordered and I won't bother with the demo to make the wait easier.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Your Computer posted:

I went from Tressa to Cyrus :toot::hf::toot:

Some observations I've made from the demo:
- The demo only lets you do the prologue of each character and the demo won't let you go outside the circle of roads connecting all the characters
- Looks like the story of each character might be more important than I thought anyway? :v: The only pointer on where to go next is a quest marker pointing to each character's "Chapter 2" (I had both Tressa and Cyrus' pointing to Quarrycrest though)
- The maps are a bit disappointing. It's basically pretty hallways and random encounters, no world map. Also every single screen has a save point?
- Combat scales, at least in the character quests. The recommended level for recruiting the characters also went up as I progressed.
- Apparently you can clear your bad reputation at inns, presumably for a fee?
- Tressa owns

Well, yeah, judging by the trailers, both Tressa and Cyrus's Chapter 2 are located in Quarrycrest.

Anyways, I'm probably going to just run and pick up every single character before I progress once I get the main game.

But really, the genius of how the paths are set up make for some genius recruiting in terms of path actions: If you go clockwise as Cyrus (Information), he'll probably recruit Tressa (Items) first, then Olberic (Fight), then Primrose (Guide). Do the opposite, and you get Ophilia (Guide), Ha'anit (Fight), and Therion (Items). If you decide to recruit the ones closest to your starting location, you could pick either Ophilia (Guide) or Tressa (Items), then pick up the other one, then get a choice between Olberic or Ha'anit (Fight). See a pattern here? And this is basically the same for every character in this game. No matter whether you choose to go clockwise or counterclockwise or mix it up, you will have a chance to get a four-man party with every type of path action before you get characters with path actions that achieves something that someone in your party already can with their path action.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ophilia is voiced by Christina Vee!

In addition to Olberic being voiced by Patrick Seitz and Primrose being voiced by Laura Post. Still can't quite put my fingers on the other 5 character's VAs.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of voices, I think it's very cool & good that they let you listen to the Japanese voices in the demo. It has become more common for games to offer dual audio (also cool & good) but like 99% of demos only feature English voices, presumably for space reasons, so I'm very happy.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's pretty great as Olberic you can beat up everyone in town

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I went with Therion, cause I was feeling a thieving mood. Was a pretty good start to the game, which does a good job showing off his thieving ability, and by the end, he has a goal to work towards that makes sense for his personality. I then headed south and got Alfyn who was really cool.

My three hours ended after I picked up Primrose and I entered her dungeon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Your Computer posted:

Speaking of voices, I think it's very cool & good that they let you listen to the Japanese voices in the demo. It has become more common for games to offer dual audio (also cool & good) but like 99% of demos only feature English voices, presumably for space reasons, so I'm very happy.

Japanese voices aren't in commonly because of licensing issues. It is in many cases very expensive to license out the japanese audio to the point of dubbing being much cheaper to do.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

Japanese voices aren't in commonly because of licensing issues. It is in many cases very expensive to license out the japanese audio to the point of dubbing being much cheaper to do.

Oh yes, I'm just talking about cases where the full game has the option of Japanese voices but the demo doesn't. Almost every JRPG demo does this, and like I said I can only assume they do it to keep the file size of the demo down.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Speaking of licensing and music, you can't record video clips. Curious if it's a demo limitation or a Square Enix limitation because of the music.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
This name is terrible. Why isn't it "Eightfold Traveler"? I assume it's a reference to the noble eightfold path anyway.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Video games have the dumbest titles in all media, my dude.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

7c Nickel posted:

This name is terrible. Why isn't it "Eightfold Traveler"? I assume it's a reference to the noble eightfold path anyway.

It was a working title until it wasn’t. I think it was a combination of people liking the dumb name (it’s a jRPG so it’s required to have a dumb name) and the staff not thinking of anything better.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Octopath is named after the 8 party member's first letter of their names

The 1st demo got over a million downloads. Changing the name would be a terrible business move.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, I have whittled down Alfyn's VA to two possibilities: Either Greg Chun or Robbie Daymond.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

Olberic
Cyrus
Tressa
Ophilia
Primrose
Alfyn
Therion
H'aanit

With this director, the title always has to have some sort of winking reference.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The name is fine, plus they lost their window to rename it once it got a lot of PR and a demo under the "working" name

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Excited for this game
less excited for all the weird rear end post processing effects they use over all the sprite work

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

7c Nickel posted:

I don't like it when people want unique things to be blanded up.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I accidentally hit quote instead of edit.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

7c Nickel posted:

SaGa Frontier 3 doesn't sound as cool, that's why it's Octopath Traveler

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

So does the concoct ability do much? I tried it like 3 times but each time it only did 3 damage or healed me for 10 or something like that, which seemed kind of useless. Do you just have to figure out the good combos?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Probably a double post gently caress it

I started as Therion. His plot intro was fine; it sets up his reason for traveling and that's cool. It's strange to me that some of the adventures feel vastly more urgent than others, but its also kinda neat; like, while you're traveling around doing Ophilia's important quest, Therion is like "cool I'll tag along and we can knock out this other thing on the way/while we're there." I think the way you recruit new party members is sorta lame because there's no real introduction and your point character actually doesn't speak at all, so it's literally just a contrivance. Hopefully there's more interaction between the MCs once you put the band together, because I'm not super interested in 8 totally disparate stories with some interlinking references. The relationships between the 8 would be the selling point to me.

Skill system and combat is fun as heck, no worries there. Therion rules and his path action is dope. Cyrus was less cool than I'd hoped. Tressa seemed boring. In my completed 3-hour file I had enough time to complete Therion/Cyrus/Ophilia entirely and basically with no more time to spare.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

guts and bolts posted:

The relationships between the 8 would be the selling point to me.
oh yeah, that's another thing I didn't like about the demo. The characters don't even speak to each other, you walk up to them and get a tutorial message and an "Add this character to your party?" prompt. :sigh: Bravely had such lively characters and their interactions were great (well uh, for the most part. *cough*Ringabel*cough*)

e: completely unrelated topic - I've seen SaGa comparisons (like several this page) and I was wondering, are any of those games worth playing? They seem like really impenetrable games and I know very little about them, but I'm way into JRPGs so...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's the beginning of a 50 hour rpg

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Tae posted:

It's the beginning of a 50 hour rpg

Which is why you'd think it would be important to establish things like "why are they traveling together at all"

As much as Therion owns bones, he is very much a loner character who would not really go out of his way to help a sorrowful maiden or a nerd in the library; coupled with the fact that your point character says absolutely nothing when you are recruiting new party members and it just seems really weak, and reduces the stated point of the game ("your adventure YOUR way!!")

If "my" adventure is that I want to start as Therion or another character less likely to help random strangers with green text bubbles, it'd be cool if they at least introduced a reason for that to happen anyway instead of what they did, which is literally nothing

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Your Computer posted:

completely unrelated topic - I've seen SaGa comparisons (like several this page) and I was wondering, are any of those games worth playing? They seem like really impenetrable games and I know very little about them, but I'm way into JRPGs so...

SaGa Frontier 2 is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played. It is so obviously unfinished, so completely inscrutable, and so badly localized but I loving love that drat game. Gustave for life.

SaGa Frontier sucks tho, real talk. Play 2 if you like amazing OSTs, unique aesthetics, inaccessible battle mechanics with sometimes crushing difficulty, an incomprehensible plot told out of chronological order, and badass characters

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Your Computer posted:

oh yeah, that's another thing I didn't like about the demo. The characters don't even speak to each other, you walk up to them and get a tutorial message and an "Add this character to your party?" prompt. :sigh: Bravely had such lively characters and their interactions were great (well uh, for the most part. *cough*Ringabel*cough*)

e: completely unrelated topic - I've seen SaGa comparisons (like several this page) and I was wondering, are any of those games worth playing? They seem like really impenetrable games and I know very little about them, but I'm way into JRPGs so...

Final Fantasy Legend 1 - 3 are fairly straightforward as far as this series goes, and 2 especially is worth trying out if you're into oldschool JRPGs

Romancing SaGa 2 and 3 are great, and you can even get Romancing SaGa 2 on the Switch. Romancing SaGa 1 has a remake on the PS2 that is far superior to the SNES version

SaGa Frontier is jank as gently caress but it's a hoot. I couldn't get into Frontier 2 but a lot of people think it's the best of the series

Unlimited is hell. Even if you're a weirdo like me and end up liking the game, it will quickly become clear that the game does not like you back

I'm hearing good things about Scarlet Grace but that's not out in America yet so pbbbth

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
so the demo is just a timed version of the full game, will a save transfer over?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
can't wait for the midgame reveal where the title screen changes to OCTOPATH LIES

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Doorknob Slobber posted:

so the demo is just a timed version of the full game, will a save transfer over?

Saves transfer and you get three hours of game time per save, so go nuts.

I'm probably not save transferring because I know I rushed a little to complete three intros on one file, so I guess in terms of advice I'd say just pretend the time limit doesn't exist. Pick who you want, take your time, and when it's over it's over, no big

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Farg posted:

can't wait for the midgame reveal where the title screen changes to OCTOPATH LIES

I've already datamined the secret

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Wasn't super sold on this after the first demo but this one is really great. Tressa is pretty awesome and I got a huge laugh when I 1-shotted her Ch1 boss by summoning a dancer. I remembered the one from Primrose's campaign requiring a bit of thought and planning but apparently you can solve your problems pretty easily by throwing money at them :v:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Having gone around and trucked through most of the intro stuff now, I think I like the characters in roughly this order:
Therion
Primrose
Ophilia
Alfyn
Cyrus
Tressa
Olberic
H'aanit

Some of it is owed to how interesting their intro chapter is, some of it is how cool or annoying I found the characters to be, some of it is ridiculous dialogue (H'aanit), but the top 4 are all pretty cool and good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

guts and bolts posted:

Having gone around and trucked through most of the intro stuff now, I think I like the characters in roughly this order:
Therion
Primrose
Ophilia
Alfyn
Cyrus
Tressa
Olberic
H'aanit

Some of it is owed to how interesting their intro chapter is, some of it is how cool or annoying I found the characters to be, some of it is ridiculous dialogue (H'aanit), but the top 4 are all pretty cool and good

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I forgot she's the meme master of this game

Yes Tressa #1 and everyone else is tied for 2nd place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
can't sleep so I started blocking out a Bravely Default style Tressa 3D model because obviously that's the best use of my time