Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Good OP, here's hoping for a good game :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

poo poo I forgot to add the "Which character are you starting with?" poll

Really no point to it when the only valid option is Tressa.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If this game is half as good as Bravely Default I'll be a happy clam.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We haven't heard anything about the demo limitations other than "3 hours" right?

I really hope it won't be a realtime restriction, half the fun with RPGs for me is taking my time.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's everyone's opinion on the ~*~HD-2D~*~? I've posted too much about it in too many threads already, but do other people generally like it? :v:

Rasamune posted:

I just hope they don't do any weird poo poo this time

'cause like, the first half of Bravely Default is awesome. 10/10, zero caveats

And then they start doing the weird poo poo

that's fair :pram:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I guess I'm the weirdo when it comes to the visuals :shobon: It's good to hear other people enjoy it anyway. I know they've said one of the one of the changes since the first demo is being able to "tone it down" so hopefully I'll be able to update my opinion on it tomorrow.

Bean posted:

Do you think the demo will be available at midnight or what time? I got traveling to do, son.

Not here in the EU, that's for sure :v: I think the usual update time for us is in like, 12 hours

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

drat this is gonna be good

hosed up wonderful if true

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

The demo is reportedly live on the E-Shop.

If you can't find it, just search for "Octopath".

:woop::woop::woop:

e: it's taking a long time to download, either it's a sizable download or my internet is screwing up

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the only graphic option they've added is being able to turn off the vignette :rip:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Sounds like it but then don’t you only carry over 1/8 of them ?
That's probably how it'll work. I guess you could play the demo over and over and get as far as possible in the 3 hours allotted on your favorite character :v:

Wendell posted:

I am disappointed they didn’t include the option to turn off the effects in the demo, I would have liked to experiment with that.
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if turning off the vignette is the only graphic option. The demo seems like a final build.

Also I like the HD-2D so much I re-imagined this timeless classic using the same techniques

(fwiw I do think the game looks better than the first demo though, and at least being able to turn off the vignette is something :shobon:)

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 14, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I like the vignette. It makes everything look tiny like a tilt shift lens.
I think that's more due to the tilt shift blur (which you can't turn off) than the vignette :v:

also if this demo really lets you spend 3 hours per character then dang, I'll probably spend like... 24 hours playing this demo.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DalaranJ posted:

Like the reveal will be that all 8 characters are just controlled by a hive mind of psychic mollusks.

that's not a nice thing to call us

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm definitely hyped for the full game :toot:

It looks like the character stories/prologues are probably not as big of a deal as I previously thought? All of the characters start very close to each other (like a 2 minute walk) and when you meet a new party member you get the option to play their prologue. I'm guessing you spend the first few hours of the game just gathering up everyone and then the real story begins.

also the map is pretty huge and there's fast travel. Kind of disappointed that there's no world map though, just interconnected and pretty straightforward maps.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

"Tressa is really cute."
I agree!

just noticed this new image in the OP :kimchi:

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, I thought it was going to be structured like SaGa games.
I don't know how the SaGa games are structured, but I assume each character has their own main quest? Like I said in my previous post it looks like the character quests in this game are pretty short introductions and then you're supposed to gather everyone else. All the characters start like 2 minutes away from each other and when you meet them you get to do their prologue.

It's still weird to me that they haven't said anything about the main quest, but it looks like you'll gather all 8 characters and then the main story begins.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 14, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
and hey maybe I'm wrong and there straight up isn't a main story at all :pram:

that said, the characters have motivations but they don't really seem big enough to support being the main focus.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tressa has a very good motivation I will say.

Why yes, I would like to see the world and find treasures :kimchi:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Folt The Bolt posted:

Alright, having played the demo, I think I can answer some questions regarding the characters:

I started off with Cyrus. He was pretty cool. Definitely the Black Mage of this game in terms of skills. When I completed his prologue, while Cyrus's story will continue in Quarrycrest, given that I do not know where it is, I decided to recruit the other travelers. I went for Tressa first, which is where I discovered that you basically get to play through the first half of her prologue, before I was allowed to recruit her. But from the text, I understood that I couldn't take her out of the town before I actually finish her immediate problem which was to deal with some pirates led by two goons named Mikk and Makk. But because I didn't start as her, for the second half of her prologue, my main (AKA Cyrus) was now fighting alongside her for the part where she would have gone it alone. Once I actually got her for reals, I went further downwards to Cobbleston and picked up Olberic, using him alone for the first part of his prologue story, then our team (consisting of Cyrus and Tressa) assisting him for latter part. My demo hours ran out when I finally got the cave where Gaston (aka Olberic's Prologue Boss) awaits us.
I went from Tressa to Cyrus :toot::hf::toot:

Some observations I've made from the demo:
- The demo only lets you do the prologue of each character and the demo won't let you go outside the circle of roads connecting all the characters
- Looks like the story of each character might be more important than I thought anyway? :v: The only pointer on where to go next is a quest marker pointing to each character's "Chapter 2" (I had both Tressa and Cyrus' pointing to Quarrycrest though)
- The maps are a bit disappointing. It's basically pretty hallways and random encounters, no world map. Also every single screen has a save point?
- Combat scales, at least in the character quests. The recommended level for recruiting the characters also went up as I progressed.
- Apparently you can clear your bad reputation at inns, presumably for a fee?
- Tressa owns

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of voices, I think it's very cool & good that they let you listen to the Japanese voices in the demo. It has become more common for games to offer dual audio (also cool & good) but like 99% of demos only feature English voices, presumably for space reasons, so I'm very happy.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

Japanese voices aren't in commonly because of licensing issues. It is in many cases very expensive to license out the japanese audio to the point of dubbing being much cheaper to do.

Oh yes, I'm just talking about cases where the full game has the option of Japanese voices but the demo doesn't. Almost every JRPG demo does this, and like I said I can only assume they do it to keep the file size of the demo down.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

guts and bolts posted:

The relationships between the 8 would be the selling point to me.
oh yeah, that's another thing I didn't like about the demo. The characters don't even speak to each other, you walk up to them and get a tutorial message and an "Add this character to your party?" prompt. :sigh: Bravely had such lively characters and their interactions were great (well uh, for the most part. *cough*Ringabel*cough*)

e: completely unrelated topic - I've seen SaGa comparisons (like several this page) and I was wondering, are any of those games worth playing? They seem like really impenetrable games and I know very little about them, but I'm way into JRPGs so...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Farg posted:

can't wait for the midgame reveal where the title screen changes to OCTOPATH LIES

I've already datamined the secret

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

guts and bolts posted:

Having gone around and trucked through most of the intro stuff now, I think I like the characters in roughly this order:
Therion
Primrose
Ophilia
Alfyn
Cyrus
Tressa
Olberic
H'aanit

Some of it is owed to how interesting their intro chapter is, some of it is how cool or annoying I found the characters to be, some of it is ridiculous dialogue (H'aanit), but the top 4 are all pretty cool and good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
can't sleep so I started blocking out a Bravely Default style Tressa 3D model because obviously that's the best use of my time

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

That's loving awesome! I'd love to see the rest of the cast like that, though obviously that's a lot to ask.
aw, thanks :3:

in my sleep deprived state I had the same idea, though like you say that would be a pretty colossal undertaking. The hard part (for me, anyway) isn't the modeling but the texturing anyway, so we'll see how far I get with this one before moving to the next :sweatdrop:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

empathe posted:

The dialogue is awful with like "seeketh" and similar fake olde English. Is this just the Hunter or is the whole game like this?

I shaketh mine head, thine opinion is badde and thou should'st be ashame'd

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jimmydalad posted:

The worst thing about this demo is now I have to wait to play it for a month.

:yeah:

:negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm like 70% sure things are going to get weird

e: also someone mentioned the music. It's pretty good! I'm still sad that we never got more Revo though, because :tviv: the Bravely Default soundtrack

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the twist is that at the end, instead of saying 'The End' it says 'The End?' :lost:

alternatively I already figured it out

Your Computer posted:

I've already datamined the secret

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just did Ophilia's intro. It sounded more interesting in the character blurb, but hey, maybe it'll be cool in the final game. Also okay, the faux archaic English is pretty bad

I think it's weird that the game doesn't include a lot of the good QOL changes from Bravely, since that's one of the thing that set the series apart from other JRPGs. In particular the encounter rate settings, but also stuff like the auto-advancing cutscenes and small stuff like that.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 17, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SpaceDrake posted:

When I try out the demo, I'm probably obligated to do Tressa first, aren't I.
you're free to pick whoever you want, friend

as long as pick Tressa

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 17, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay what on earth is going on with the faux old English. It's like they sort of try during some dialogue and then mid-conversation they'll just start addingen en to everyen worden. :psyduck:

Like, I've played enough Dark Souls to be used to the typical "doest thou even'st" type fantasy language but what is it with all these -en endings

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm still slowly working on the 3D model but unwrapping and texturing is a pain in the butt and I'm out of practice :negative:

at this rate it'll only be a few years until I've made lovely models of the entire cast

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 18, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
wait a second

does that mean the cross-class stuff gets you new costumes?

Folt The Bolt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8gUd2cx3GY

As noted in this box art analysis, all of the eight characters are equally important, so whoever is the main character is entirely up to you. :kimchi:

(Also has some cool notes about the placements of the characters on the boxart and so on.)
looked at this and enjoyed it, but I don't agree that the characters are represented equally. Primrose is extremely clearly the main focus, not just by being in the centre but also by being the only character with even remotely vibrant colors, and Olberic by towering above the rest (and being in the centre.) In contrast, Tressa and H'aanit almost blends into their adjacent characters.

still not a bad box art, but I wish they'd focus on someone other than Primrose and Olberic

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 19, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

Recruiting other characters is optional though, so it'd be more like FF6's World of Ruin. Sure, they can have some character interaction but having lots of it would mean having to have constant checks for who is/isn't in the party and adjust accordingly, that is a hell of a lot of work to do.

Making a video game is a hell of a lot of work to do :pram:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

I took a look at the Octopath reddit and saw people were already number crunching and data-mining who the most optimal party members and the like were. I think that's a little much at this point.

clearly they don't know the the most important metric: how cool and/or adorbs is this character

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

I never understood why Tressa was so loved. Like, yeah, she's cute and I like her, but I found Alfyn a little cuter. Tressa's a close second.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jimmydalad posted:

Eventually we’re going to need these for all the cast :allears:
I didn't actually draw them though, just made dumb gifs from the art in the OP :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Night Blade posted:

Are all of the scenarios as one-dimensional thief man or did I just pick the bad one from the lot?

I've been wanting a new good jRPG since like forever so I picked up the demo. Unfortunately, I'll have to keep looking after my vision recovers from these eye searing lighting effects and anti-aliased to poo poo pixels:

-snip-

All of the dialog is so stilted and bloated that I found myself skipping over voiced lines after I finished reading just so they'd get to the point.

It felt like I was playing an old RPGmaker game from 2003; back during the great lighting effect fad... Are all of the scenarios this bad, or was it just this one? The battle system didn't impress either honestly.
The prologues (the ones I've played anyway) haven't been super duper interesting but I feel like they serve their purpose. Only one I've played that I was a bit disappointed in was Ophilia's, but that was my own fault for thinking it would have a plot twist. I've enjoyed the voice acting in Japanese, but it does have the same problem that Bravely Second did where the English script and Japanese script are different enough that they're often saying very different stuff than what's on the screen.

I agree about the post-processing effects though, I was really hoping they would allow us to tone it down but the only thing they did was put in an option to disable the vignette (screen darkening around the edges). At least most people I've talked about the game with (and this thread) seem to love the effects, so I'll just admit to being a curmudgeon and try not to worry about it too much :v:

speaking of dialogue, I've been trying to figure out the faux ye olde English and I'm starting to be convinced they just wrote a normal script and ran it through a converter. It's so bizarrely bad.

on the plus side, some of the normal dialogue is good :pram:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

Yon wolves wrecketh mine aught, Arisen

what the fucke did'st thou just loving sayeth about me, thee drat wench? I shall hast thou knoweth I graduat'd toppe of mine class in the navy seales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

I downloaded the Project Octopath demo forever ago but never booted it up, played the rollover demo yesterday for 2 hours (Primrose -> Olberic prologues) and was pretty impressed. Next up is grabbing the merchant girl; however, I'm scared that I only have 1 hour left on the demo and it's 3 whole weeks before this thing drops. :negative:
Don't worry, you can keep playing after the 3 hours. You just need to create a new save file!

The demo is great for trying out the different characters and seeing their motivations. And then agreeing that Tressa is best.