Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

turtlecrunch posted:

When I told that guy to go to the dungeon he got turned into a zombie.

You mean when you lured him to the Abandoned Dungeon. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
nothing wrong with being a zombie sometimes

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

SHISHKABOB posted:

You mean when you lured him to the Abandoned Dungeon. :colbert:

You know I told him, then some pisspants merchant started yelling at me about it, and I was like nuh uh, and then he was a zombie, and I :shrug:'d my way onward.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've resumed making my way through the Fountainhead Palace now that that lovely bird is dead, and I have to say, if I thought kemari was a stupid game before I hate it even more now

I also feel that it's kind of not clear where you're supposed to go once you take down the bastard who is doing the Inazuma 11-rear end lightning kicks at you from across the entire drat map. I almost missed the Sakura Bull entirely!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

OnimaruXLR posted:

I've resumed making my way through the Fountainhead Palace now that that lovely bird is dead, and I have to say, if I thought kemari was a stupid game before I hate it even more now

I also feel that it's kind of not clear where you're supposed to go once you take down the bastard who is doing the Inazuma 11-rear end lightning kicks at you from across the entire drat map. I almost missed the Sakura Bull entirely!

the game kinda tries to lead you where you need to go by placing an NPC who tells you where to go on a very visible rooftop from where that lighting kicks rear end in a top hat stood, and then has the giant carp lead you exactly where you need to go from there. However most people understandably flee from the giant fishy and don't actually see where it swims off too

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

turtlecrunch posted:

He's really strong as a zombie too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Welp looks like the one prayer bead location I didn't specifically remember getting in my first playthrough... I did get on my first playthrough, because killing him again just got me a heavy purse. I now have no goddamn clue where the bead I missed was.

On the plus side, wiping out all the mini-bosses who gave me trouble originally like Seven Spears or that rear end in a top hat down where you start the game is very satisfying.
On the flip side, this is my Shura run so I sent Shimasen dude down to the Abandoned Dungeon and I'm gonna give Kotaro the red and white pinwheel :negative:

Blaziken386 posted:

The initial dead ninja was killed by Tengu, you can talk to him there at some point (I forgot when, exactly)
I don't remember seeing Masanaga when I went there on my first playthrough when it was too late to kill him, just the initial dead dude.

Yeah I know, which makes it even funnier because his skilled friend died to Sengoku Batman, but if the other dude doesn't get taken down by Sekiro then his vengeance quest is derailed by a couple monkeys :laugh:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

RatHat posted:

He's really strong as a zombie too.

Not if you just hop in and out of the water while lighting him on fire. :laugh:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Blaziken386 posted:

O'rin is part of Jinzaemon's questline, in that she has dialogue at the end if you followed him all the way to her arena, and he gives you a present after you kill her

unless you're on NG+ and have already done so, you should definitely kill her. You get something special.

Ahh I hosed it up, Jinzaemon had dragonrot, I killed her and then he decided to fight me because I stopped the melody, I guess needed to talk to him without dragonrot then kill her.

I am now before the Owl fight, what is the red hatted rat/senpou assassins' weakness? Is the axe the best way to kill them quickly. The ninjas are fine but these loving rats are annoying as hell.

Anyway I am happy for once I have everything to get the best ending in my first playthrough, I normally always miss something.

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
After hearing about the second fight against Owl I was worried but then I beat him on my 2nd try by just being super aggressive!! I love this game!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Ulio posted:

I am now before the Owl fight, what is the red hatted rat/senpou assassins' weakness? Is the axe the best way to kill them quickly. The ninjas are fine but these loving rats are annoying as hell.
I dunno if they have a specific weakness, TBH, I just smack 'em around.

Also - go to the Great Serpent Shrine right now to fight a time-limited miniboss, otherwise you won't be able to get all the prayer beads. (across the bridge near the Old Grave idol)

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I tried playing without Kuro's charm(on NG+3) but I'm not good enough at timing deflects all the time and I accept that about myself, as I died to Seven Spears about twice before I said "gently caress it", took the charm back, and mopped the stairs with him

Blaziken386 posted:

I dunno if they have a specific weakness, TBH, I just smack 'em around.

Also - go to the Great Serpent Shrine right now to fight a time-limited miniboss, otherwise you won't be able to get all the prayer beads. (across the bridge near the Old Grave idol)

doesn't that one show up at the box by the shrine?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

morallyobjected posted:

doesn't that one show up at the box by the shrine?
nope.
I found out about it before the final boss, and the box was still empty. I guess "available in NG+" doesn't mean inaccessible?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I believe you have to at least see him if you want his bead to appear in the box if you don't beat him. If you never encounter him at all, the game treats it like the monkeys stole his prayer bead I guess.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

CJacobs posted:

The game may not have many kills that are one hit from full health (there are a few no matter how many times you yell into the void that there are not), but it has an absolute ton of attacks that leave you at around 10% or lower. This means that many of those attacks turn into one hit kills because you are hardly ever going to be running around with 100% full health unless you are willing to waste part of a gourd or a pellet, which has always been a really bad idea over Fromsoft's whole catalog. A really early example is the grab by the chained ogre where he slams you down and then tosses you. It leaves you with a tiny sliver of health if it was absolutely full when you got grabbed, but chances are you're not going to be at 100% full health because you have a MAXIMUM of two gourd chugs to covet at that point in the game- and in that case you will die every time. You are trained not to use healing items until you will get the full benefit of them because you start with very few and one of the two types is exhaustible and will not refill, and they know this, but the game is still balanced around running around with full health anyway. This is another reason why the recover-health-on-deathblow skill should've been part of your starting kit.

The hard cap on damage is 100% of your current health, i.e., half of your total health. Shadows die twice.

Beyond that there are really good design reasons for massive damage attacks, one of which is to create a valuable use case for Ungo's Sugar, of which you get like four in the run up to Ogre.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Any solid suggestions for beating Owl during the first encounter? I can get him to phase two about half the time.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Haha I finally killed Isshin, Sword Saint and it didn't even take as many tries as that drat giant ape.

It did take a lot of tries though...

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I talked with Jinzaemon at the top of the well where the game first begins and then never saw him again until right before the O'Rin fight and was able to get the special item without any problem. Whether else does he appear and is there anything new for him to say other than returning about the music?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Beat the game. Game owns.

Also went straight into NG+ and beat the intro boss straight up. Game is so good on replay when you understand what the game was trying to teach you all along.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Davinci posted:

I talked with Jinzaemon at the top of the well where the game first begins and then never saw him again until right before the O'Rin fight and was able to get the special item without any problem. Whether else does he appear and is there anything new for him to say other than returning about the music?

You can find him in the Abandoned Dungeon near the Bottomless Hole. Then he'll also show up right after the Ape's burrow before you get to the mist forest idol.

he just talks about following the music, as that's kind of his whole deal.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Maxy Boy posted:

After hearing about the second fight against Owl I was worried but then I beat him on my 2nd try by just being super aggressive!! I love this game!

haha you motherfucker he took me literally hours. But then I read about others itt giving up on the final boss who I beat in 4 tries so swings and roundabouts I guess.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

bike tory posted:

haha you motherfucker he took me literally hours. But then I read about others itt giving up on the final boss who I beat in 4 tries so swings and roundabouts I guess.

it took me a couple more tries than that on NG+2 (NG+ I went for the ending that has neither of those bosses), but I could tell that I was just making mistakes and being careless more than anything else--like misreading attacks that I could see as I was doing exactly the wrong thing, or overcommitting on a slash when I should have been dodging out of the way.

the only boss I haven't fought more than once and probably never will is Demon of Hatred. I'm fine to just get the lazuli in Fountainhead. and if I really need to, I've been practicing making the jump to get to the roof, so I can always do that instead.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Just wrapped up the fountain head with taking down The Divine Dragon. I like the concept for that fight but in execution it's some gimmicky bullshit that isn't gimmicky enough to be "lol one try" but too gimmicky to be interesting like a proper battle. I'd say it's better than the Bed of Chaos though, especially in terms of what you're doing in terms of in-game action.

Now I have to decide which ending I want, because I think I can do them all except the "bad" end. I don't want Kuro or the wee immortal lass to die, is there an option for that? I imagine if I give Kuro the stuff Emma talked about it'd end with him living and Sekiro dying.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 21, 2019

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

OnimaruXLR posted:

Just wrapped up the fountain head with taking down The Divine Dragon. I like the concept for that fight but in execution it's some gimmicky bullshit that isn't gimmicky enough to be "lol one try" but too gimmicky to be interesting like a proper battle. I'd say it's better than the Bed of Chaos though, especially in terms of what you're doing in terms of in-game action.

Waaaayyy less annoyingly bullshit than the Bed of Chaos, I thought. I did it on the first try without knowing what was going on so maybe my experience is atypical. If nothing else, he and the other entities in the fight look weirder and are more interesting.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

Now I have to decide which ending I want, because I think I can do them all except the "bad" end. I don't want Kuro or the wee immortal lass to die, is there an option for that? I imagine if I give Kuro the stuff Emma talked about it'd end with him living and Sekiro dying.

as long as you visit her and give her the stuff she needs

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Neurosis posted:

Waaaayyy less annoyingly bullshit than the Bed of Chaos, I thought. I did it on the first try without knowing what was going on so maybe my experience is atypical. If nothing else, he and the other entities in the fight look weirder and are more interesting.

Nah I one shot that boss too. It was a very weird gimmick, I don't fully understand the trees and poo poo. I'd imagine there's a whole bunch of symbolism and mythology and such wrapped in in it.

Unrelated but what are the odds on FROM patching out the whole bosses falling off cliffs thing? I knew you could do it for Gyoubu but apparently it works for DoH too:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6qM-Qwhuz8k

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Any solid suggestions for beating Owl during the first encounter? I can get him to phase two about half the time.

chip away at him till he gets about half health, then really go aggressive and push his posture up.

he's tough but push your advantage when you have it. when he throws two shuriken from a bit of a range, he's gonna do a big jump. just before he lands, dodge right and wail on him. keep doing it till he blocks two hits and jumps backwards, then dodge forwards to follow him and hit him again.

keeping the pressure on him up is good to learn his moves; try not to get hit by his no-health bomb but don't panic if you do. use it as a chance to practice deflections

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Divine Dragon makes more sense if you translate its name to Sakura/Cherrytree Dragon, as in the tree Owl stole a branch from. The translation can be strange in this game from what I've gathered.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

If you've done the Divine Child's quest and got the Frozen Tears, then she and Kuro will both be a bit inconvenienced, but they'll both probably be fine in the end.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't think the "wee immortal lass" is actually a child because in the ending following her path she is shown at the end to be pregnant, (presumably with babby Kuro?)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

bike tory posted:

Nah I one shot that boss too. It was a very weird gimmick, I don't fully understand the trees and poo poo. I'd imagine there's a whole bunch of symbolism and mythology and such wrapped in in it.

Unrelated but what are the odds on FROM patching out the whole bosses falling off cliffs thing? I knew you could do it for Gyoubu but apparently it works for DoH too:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6qM-Qwhuz8k

Well the tree is literally a tree. The divine dragon is a spirit that inhabits it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Well the tree is literally a tree. The divine dragon is a spirit that inhabits it.

But was the tree helping you? It definitely seemed to be

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Divine Dragon's called Sakura Ryu in japanese.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

bike tory posted:

But was the tree helping you? It definitely seemed to be

Remember the victory message, 'Gracious Gift of Tears'. The entire fight seemed to be the dragon testing you to see if you were worthy of taking what you wanted from it, by risking yourself to gain powerful advantages (luring sharp, deadly tree-roots to jump off, throwing yourself into lightning, et cetera).

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I literally don't know what to do when Isshin pulls out his spear and gun.. like, I've fought him face on, deflected a bunch, then he shoots me and breaks my posture and one shots me (YAH HE BASICALLY DOES), and then even when I bring him out of the grass he has super sneaky sweeps that loving come out of nowhere, or are weirdly closer to him than his other sweeps. And I've literally almost beaten him, but then run off of the cliff, or got hit by lightning because I was too anxious. Ive tried so many loving methods, and I can beat Gonichumi with no damage, but even phase one of SS is brutal half of the time, and the other half I'll have at least 6-7 gourds left, but still just get pummeled by his spear, even if I try the running around and smacking him once thing (although I was trying to get a lot of damage in, but still, it was literally one whirlwind slash or one mortal blade or high monk... not even being greedy, just seeing what SEEMS to be an opening, but *nope*, this time, he doesn't telegraph that he's got a brutal follow up to that jump attack. I've tried every combo of item... Except prosthetics, which i haven't tried besides the shuriken and fireworks, as they seem to work on everything as basic tools and not all or nothing strats.

gently caress, I've literally fought this rear end in a top hat (I love this rear end in a top hat tho), like over a hundred times easily, and I've almost won at least a handful of times, but like I said I just saw the finish line and Wiley Coyote'd off the cliff, when I was hyper aware to circle around the rock before, and like, I never fail lightning volleys, unless I'm fighting several of the warriors in Fountainhead. Idk, seems like the third and to a lesser extent, but still just as dangerous, the fourth phase are RNG heavy, or at least there's a little too much RNG for how hosed you can get just by healing an inch closer so you trigger his dash attack trigger that will essentially cancel that heal if not worsen it. I've only seen one video cause it popped up on my feed anyways, and I was like gently caress it, but some guy just Ichimonjis him over and over, and i deflected nearly every move, or at least as well as the guy in the video who seems to just block those hits, and then ichimonjis and avoids the perilous, but I don't even make it past the third or so combo, he'll do the mini AoE thing when he whips his spear out. Jesus, I can gently caress up every single From Software boss (or I guess since Demon's Souls), but none of them have come anywhere near this. Some optional bosses, mainly DS3 have but not really, I just played sloppily and two handed a great sword in that. This, I'm literally mikiri'ing poo poo that I swear I nailed before, but it just knocked me down and took half my health before, and my method for Goni is to just bait his mikiri because I just can't be bothered to wreck him and then take a few hits for some dumb reason and ruin my slim chances at getting him past a 1/5th of his health in SS's spear phase.

Plz send help.... I'm not even mad, I just don't get it.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Imhotep posted:

I literally don't know what to do when Isshin pulls out his spear and gun.. like, I've fought him face on, deflected a bunch, then he shoots me and breaks my posture and one shots me (YAH HE BASICALLY DOES), and then even when I bring him out of the grass he has super sneaky sweeps that loving come out of nowhere, or are weirdly closer to him than his other sweeps. And I've literally almost beaten him, but then run off of the cliff, or got hit by lightning because I was too anxious. Ive tried so many loving methods, and I can beat Gonichumi with no damage, but even phase one of SS is brutal half of the time, and the other half I'll have at least 6-7 gourds left, but still just get pummeled by his spear, even if I try the running around and smacking him once thing (although I was trying to get a lot of damage in, but still, it was literally one whirlwind slash or one mortal blade or high monk... not even being greedy, just seeing what SEEMS to be an opening, but *nope*, this time, he doesn't telegraph that he's got a brutal follow up to that jump attack. I've tried every combo of item... Except prosthetics, which i haven't tried besides the shuriken and fireworks, as they seem to work on everything as basic tools and not all or nothing strats.

gently caress, I've literally fought this rear end in a top hat (I love this rear end in a top hat tho), like over a hundred times easily, and I've almost won at least a handful of times, but like I said I just saw the finish line and Wiley Coyote'd off the cliff, when I was hyper aware to circle around the rock before, and like, I never fail lightning volleys, unless I'm fighting several of the warriors in Fountainhead. Idk, seems like the third and to a lesser extent, but still just as dangerous, the fourth phase are RNG heavy, or at least there's a little too much RNG for how hosed you can get just by healing an inch closer so you trigger his dash attack trigger that will essentially cancel that heal if not worsen it. I've only seen one video cause it popped up on my feed anyways, and I was like gently caress it, but some guy just Ichimonjis him over and over, and i deflected nearly every move, or at least as well as the guy in the video who seems to just block those hits, and then ichimonjis and avoids the perilous, but I don't even make it past the third or so combo, he'll do the mini AoE thing when he whips his spear out. Jesus, I can gently caress up every single From Software boss (or I guess since Demon's Souls), but none of them have come anywhere near this. Some optional bosses, mainly DS3 have but not really, I just played sloppily and two handed a great sword in that. This, I'm literally mikiri'ing poo poo that I swear I nailed before, but it just knocked me down and took half my health before, and my method for Goni is to just bait his mikiri because I just can't be bothered to wreck him and then take a few hits for some dumb reason and ruin my slim chances at getting him past a 1/5th of his health in SS's spear phase.

When ISS starts his second phase, just run in a big circle that slowly spirals in towards him. At a certain distance, it will bait him into doing that leaping overhead spear attack. When he leaps, rush straight towards him and you’ll end up behind him. During his recovery, you have time to get in a couple hits. Rinse and repeat.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

turtlecrunch posted:

lol emma warned you

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember the victory message, 'Gracious Gift of Tears'. The entire fight seemed to be the dragon testing you to see if you were worthy of taking what you wanted from it, by risking yourself to gain powerful advantages (luring sharp, deadly tree-roots to jump off, throwing yourself into lightning, et cetera).

I saw the 'gracious gift' part of that as a bit sarcastic given that I electrocuted the fucker and then held him down as I sliced upon his tear duct.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

bike tory posted:

I don't think the "wee immortal lass" is actually a child because in the ending following her path she is shown at the end to be pregnant, (presumably with babby Kuro?)

I initially wondered about this too, but I watched the ending again and I don't think it's that clear. she puts her hand over her heart, not her stomach, and she just wears very bulky clothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Imhotep posted:

Jesus dude, just use the drat umbrella.