Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

From 1 to defiled Amygdala how hard is this game

if defiled Amy is a 10 and defiled watchdog is a 12 I say 11 so far

think a huge part of that is muscle memory though. whenever I panic I revert to bloodborne quickstep spamming and that’s a decent way to get killed, especially since the post-step attack seems to have a slow windup. I imagine that fully internalizing the sweep/thrust/grab triad will make it feel better.

speaking of, someone’s probably asked already but I’m trying not to read too much. does the step dodge actually have iframes? I got wrecked repeatedly during hanbei’s thrust dodging tutorial with timing that I know would have been good in BB or a light build in a souls game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

black.lion posted:

I did not like Dark Souls or Bloodborne, because all my characters movements (dodge attack whatever) all seemed really slow and sluggish with a lot of frames where I can't control him; seemed to me like the strategy came from learning to control a character that was not very agile or fun to control. Don't think I got past a first miniboss in either bc it felt like my dude was on drugs stumbling thru combat.

i would say no because as far as i can tell the attacking is still the same kind of "stuck in the animation" stuff. the reason you seem "slow or sluggish" in those games is other games tend to let you cancel a movement or attack or whatever and in soulsborne you have to complete the action you're taking. although in bloodborne everything's fast so the complaint is a little weird. the controls are responsive in all the games you just have to commit to what you're doing.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Def making a beeline for the Recover Health on Deathblow ability. Anyone else got any abilities their eyeing up or glad they got?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Firstborn posted:

Pretty much like the first one after the tutorial. You'll see a multi-tiered like... plateau... with crow on top. You can hear the crows if you are anywhere close. It's directly after/next to the bell lady. Ledge grab your way up to the top.

Ah yes, that's what I needed thanks.

I'm hoping the firecrackers have some sort of an effect on the fight with the horse guy.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Expect My Mom posted:

Def making a beeline for the Recover Health on Deathblow ability. Anyone else got any abilities their eyeing up or glad they got?

grapple attack

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

From 1 to defiled Amygdala how hard is this game

Bloody Crow of Cainhurst riding the defiled hot dog.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Basebf555 posted:

Ah yes, that's what I needed thanks.

I'm hoping the firecrackers have some sort of an effect on the fight with the horse guy.

I had them but didn't really use them much. I thought the horse guy was pretty easy. My strat:

1. You can pretty much block everything, so you should do so.

2. Learn the attack patterns, get 2-3 hits in after his 3-4 hit combos. Whittle down the health, he has low defense, and then he'll be easy to max poise and get a deathblow.

3. When he rides away you'll get a grapple icon on him. Use it, it allows you to get a free hit in. Only hit him once - every time I hit him twice he was in mid swing by my second hit and I took damage.

Firecrackers cause the horse to rear up and you can get a few extra hits in.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
This game might legitimately be too difficult for me, and I say this as someone who's beaten (and loved) all the Soulsborne games, Bloodborne especially.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm still in the first area, I think. But now I'm in a flashback. Should I be here yet?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Popular Human posted:

This game might legitimately be too difficult for me, and I say this as someone who's beaten (and loved) all the Soulsborne games, Bloodborne especially.

I can tell I'm not gonna be able to finish it but I'm having a lot of fun while the difficulty isn't too bad yet. But if this is anything like previous FROM games, around mid-game the boss difficulty is gonna ramp up pretty hard and I probably won't be able to cope with it. Who knows, maybe I'll surprise myself, I beat Ninja Gaiden Black many years ago but I'm old now and I don't think I have that kind of brutal trial and error process in me anymore.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Firstborn posted:

grapple attack
oh dang i dont got no grap attack

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Saint Freak posted:

Bloody Crow of Cainhurst riding the defiled hot dog.

Heck if that description is fitting then I'm going to hit up and destroy the defiled chalice once I fully beat this game. Always avoided that one like the plague. Never saw the point of going that far.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Should have gotten the PC version. Only now just noticed that previews cutely assured us that framerate would be "uncapped" on PS4 Pro, not that it would actually do some kind of 60/30 1080/4k thing. Had trouble with countering in the PS4 version. Played a friend's PC version and could do it any time I wanted to. Now I have to sit here praying Sony will give me a refund so I can play it on PC which I think isn't gonna happen.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Played a few hours on a regular PS4, have no problem with graphics, frame rate, or loading times.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Bogart posted:

I'm still in the first area, I think. But now I'm in a flashback. Should I be here yet?

I found it doable until the end boss.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't think this is true. Sekiro's controller profile specifically has the gyro enabled when most other games' profiles do not. Basically, the publisher can choose one of the default controller profiles steam provides (or provide their own custom one iirc), and FromSoftware for some reason chose the one with the gyro. This is easily fixed, but still, it's on them.

Not easily fixed with a Switch Pro controller, sadly. Really annoying.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

glad i decided on pc at the last minute, getting 60fps on max with all the crap i dont like turned off

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bogart posted:

the bloodsouls way is to keep progressing until you hit a wall then go "oh i remmeber there was a cave a bit beyond this bonfire, whats down there" until you hit another wall

then you get to where im at where the game is a hydra of walls

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Mindblast posted:

Heck if that description is fitting then I'm going to hit up and destroy the defiled chalice once I fully beat this game. Always avoided that one like the plague. Never saw the point of going that far.

I actually did it for the first time this morning it fuckin' sucks dude.

You have to cheese Amygdala solo by running around behind, baiting a jump, standing still so you don't get hit, and charge attacking the head.

And then you run through its legs again. Takes like 5 minutes.

You can't bring anyone with you because it makes the attacks and the landing zone too random and the jump attack is always a death.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Warming up for sekiro by playing defiled chalice...bold.

I guess I was doing sage friede and demon prince earlier this week which weren't that much better but still.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bogart posted:

Definitely there's some good poo poo there. If it gets too hard and you hit a wall though you can also keep making progress through the first area

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

What's the secret to beating the fat gently caress.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

man the "warning dangerous attack" symbol flash is really loving with me, i've played far too many games with that being the indication you're supposed to guard/dodge and so i'm instinctively hitting that every time it pops up instead of waiting

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

HOLY poo poo SEKIRO CAN SWIM?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I finally beat fatty and spear guy. The secret? Always be dodging. The helper guy even survived the fight with fatty!

he just said I'm too tired to keep fighting afterwards though

Dodge was literally all I used. I tried deflecting but it was killing me cause I'm poo poo. Spear guy I occasionally get the dodge where you kick down his spear then get lots of bonus posture dmg.

I feel a lot better about beating stuff in this game than souls. I feel more confident too that this poo poo is possible.

Also I'm gonna install ds4pc and try to get ps4 controller icons and try with a controller. Been using mouse keyboard.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

you can also attack while swimming and hammer the dodge button to swim at about seven zillion miles an hour, which has come in handy for me

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

question! dragonrot increases from :

dying and rezzing back at a statue

or

using the resurrection power to live on

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

mikeraskol posted:

Holy gently caress beating Lady Butterfly is so satisfying. What a great fight. The combat in this game is spectacular.

Ok did i go the wrong way, because for me this is the first real boss of the game and its a nightmare. If this was everyones first boss i dont know why no one has said anything.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Zyla posted:

or

Both, AFAIK.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

man the "warning dangerous attack" symbol flash is really loving with me, i've played far too many games with that being the indication you're supposed to guard/dodge and so i'm instinctively hitting that every time it pops up instead of waiting

sometimes hitting does stop it. i'm reflexively blocking because it's attack which is loving me.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I missed an item in the intro area, right near where you start. I tried to go back right at the end before I blew the whistle, but I didn't see any way to get back (and still didn't have any way to get the item anyway).

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think it is too early to ask, but is Sekiro really that unbearably hard, or is it like Bloodsouls where the challenge evens out once it beats a specific set of skills into you?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huh the pre-order katana letter opener feels less cheap than I was expecting. I kinda wish the sheath was connected to the stand though.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

look at this guy who didn't immediately do a 180 from the direction the game starts you in

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Zyla posted:

or

Every subset of these, other than "neither", has been posited by someone. There's a lot of information out there and it's hard to know what's true.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Every subset of these, other than "neither", has been posited by someone. There's a lot of information out there and it's hard to know what's true.

im glad of this answer now i dont have to care and can just have fun

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's been definitely shown by a goon like two pages back that it is only the final DEATH screen that counts. you can cheese it by resurrecting, and then running back to a Buddha to replenish your res.

Do not ever not resurrect or you are hastening dragonrot. But maybe that doesn't matter. gently caress, knowing FROM there's stuff that's hidden only behind high rot.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I think it is too early to ask, but is Sekiro really that unbearably hard, or is it like Bloodsouls where the challenge evens out once it beats a specific set of skills into you?

It seems like the latter, but unlike Bloodsouls there's no grinding for experience to level up, so if you aren't good enough, there's no brute forcing your way past it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I have never gotten a new person infected upon rezzing, only by actual death. The former could still be "building it up" though for all I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

At this point I've just resigned myself to loving everyone close to me up on the first playthrough.