Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Ninja Souls looks fantastic. The aerial stealth instant kills remind me a lot of Revengeance.

Here's Vaati's run, he plays pretty differently and shows the resurrection mechanic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2tZyh4pwM0

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
In the second half he says the producer supervising the players emphasized "in this demo" when talking about exactly that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
They probably just wanted to make sure that all the footage the press makes at least shows off their cool execution animations instead of consisting entirely of button mashing into enemies until they hyper armor counter.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That seemed like a remarkably small install size, but then I checked and DS3 is the same so I guess it makes sense.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

ENB confirmed he meant Dragon God. Hmmmmm. Wonder how they perfected it.
Grapple hook onto the giant boss and fight smaller bosses on it

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

lets hang out posted:

dmc5 just came out and it has an easy mode and lets you turn on auto combos on any difficulty at any time by just holding a button. And it's fine.
Yeah the arguments attacking the very idea of difficulty select are bizarre since nearly all action games have them and they clearly work fine. From games aren't that special.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I had to start the game over because a power outage corrupted my save immediately after dying to the boss currently referenced in the thread title. :ironicat:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Man the first Seven Spears guy is just unbelievably brutal for how early he appears in the game. All three types of unblockable and every hit takes off nearly your entire life bar. If you couldn't backstab half his life off and cheese the other half in several ways he'd be a much, much harder fight than anything else at that point in the game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Beat Gonichumi for the first time on my first try after losing my original save to him. Perfectly countered everything in his final phase including my first successful reverse lightning. :hellyeah:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

I guess I can go through Senpou but the spear ronin there are harder than Genichiro was imo so I haven't finished that area off yet.
The trick to the battle monks is to jump attack constantly because if you're lucky you'll knock them out of the air and onto their rear end for some free hits and if you're really lucky you get a midair deathblow.

Also you can stealth kill most of them and use bloodsmoke to stealth kill the pair outside the main hall.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Listerine posted:

Blazing Bull is the worst boss I've seen in one of these games, or at least one of the worst. What a waste of time fight.
Yeah, looking at his attack animations I assumed the correct thing to do was jump over his horns, but then the game says "no, idiot, obviously there's a giant invisible hit box there. How could you not realize the correct answer is to dodge directly forwards so you magically clip through them and then chase him in a small circle for three minutes you utter moron."

I guess From is under an ancient curse to have one or two really bad bosses in each game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I felt bad after the Monkey hunt boss because I just sprinted around the rooftops stabbing them all and then exploring the area afterwards noticed all the signs carefully explaining the special mechanics you were supposed to use to stealth kill them. :shobon:

But knowing souls players I'm betting that happened to everyone.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
They should have stood on each others' shoulders for a hidden optional boss fight.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

shut up blegum posted:

God drat, got O'Rin down to 1 life and only a sliver of posture left. Then I got stuck on some rock and she totally annihilated me. So so close.
I got the second red-eyed ogre pretty far while laughing at how tiny his health bar looked at that point in the game and then got trapped in a corner against a pillar and nearly kicked to death trying to wiggle my way out.

O'rin I found surprisingly easy. She only has one kind of unblockable and her combos are fast enough that just tapping deflect got me through them long enough to learn the timing.

Corrupted Monk was pretty rough though. Two kinds of unblockable with very similar startup animations, some really fast counters if you get too close, and very small windows where you can actually hurt her.

I wish I'd known Sabimaru worked against her but now that I think about it's actually pretty funny it's specifically good against enemies that hang out in the poison swamp and certain ghosts.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 29, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

bike tory posted:

Nah it's not a problem. The trick is to be like me, too loving old and slow to notice and react to his animation wind-ups, and just spam block.
Just came here after finally beating him (easily the hardest boss in the game so far) and same.

Of course I went from dying instantly for an hour to barely getting into p2 with no healing to reaching p2 with 4 sips remaining and not even needing to use any of them. Weird that p2 is actually easier because one of his new attacks is a free punish and the other is trivial to avoid. The only thing that might make it slightly tougher is that goddamn owl sometimes flying right in front of the camera.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Wow the double underwater headless fight is by far the worst thing in the entire game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

bike tory posted:

I liked the underwater ones way more than the other three. Jesus those fights are painful and lovely.
I've been avoiding the optional apparition fights since everyone says this and they don't give anything important since I don't use consumables anyway. Of course this is the one they put a prayer bead behind.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
ISS phase 1: Hey, this isn't so bad.

ISS phase 2: aaaaaAAAAAAAAA

The dragon joins the monkeys as the only two bosses in the game to get one shot. I never even figured out how the lightning worked, I just grappled back and forth blindly until it happened.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
ISS is fantastic, the perfect end boss for Sekiro.

DoH is...none of those things. I particularly hate the giant 4 hit melee combo, since it seems like the fire hand sweeps are unblockable and extremely difficult to dodge through. All his other attacks are actually pretty easy to deal with but if he uses the combo when I'm too far away to sprint past it I just die every time.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Do bosses get new moves on NG+? I swear on a stack of bibles Genichiro never ever did this short range standing grab to me on NG, but he pulled it out constantly on + and actually killed me a couple of times.

Kalsco posted:

Anything intended for countering ISS p2 (3?) charged wide sweep? I'm not saying it's the only thing getting me during that phase, but I reliably take damage during it unless I happen to jump exactly when it goes off.
Goomba stomp him. It won't interrupt it but it keeps you in the air long enough you should never get hit by it. If you're far away when he starts running will get you out of range.

My ISS bane was that sheathed sword fakeout where he does a jab into a sweep. Eventually I found the best way to deal with sheathing was just to run away. He then always does the cross and I could sprint back in and get a free hit if I judged the range correctly.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 5, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
My favorite thing about NG+ is wrecking early enemies with lazulite shuriken. Pew pew I'm throwing goddamn purple lasers. :hellyeah:

Also the umbrella with its associated counter attack skill is ludicrously powerful. I'm glad I never discovered that on NG until DoH.

I wanted to be stylish and defeat the red-eyed ogre with the fire feather dodge tool, but I just then learned that it doesn't work on grabs (which seems silly) so I ended up almost dying a lot instead. On the bright side I also learned you can grapple back onto his head when his grabs throw you off the edge...several times.

I learned that Dragon Flash absolutely ruins Butterfly. Free hit every time she jumps up.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

Just wanted to say that after beating Genichiro I was told to find Isshin and I entered his room through the side like the kool aid man and then drank sake with the guy.

I noticed after there was a totally open door on the other side of the room. For future runs I'm making this a staple thing I do.
Sure make the sick old guy's room even draftier! You probably killed him, you monster.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
oh CJacobs, I started watching your Sekiro videos and the fact that someone told you mikiris require a neutral stick and it made you think they're inconsistent and hard to do is driving me crazy. Please tell me you eventually realized they're easy if you push the stick forward and dodge directly into the attack. :ohdear:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
In the grand Sekiro tradition you either have to slowly and carefully sneak and stab/fight them one at a time or run past them in seconds. Like the nightjar ninjas, they have no knowledge of grappling into open windows.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm so glad I remembered to try using the whistle on the monkey pile in NG+

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Apparently the ghosts show up in whichever midgame area you do last to make it harder, since you'll have higher stats then.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I had the same experience with dog guy. It took an embarrassingly long time to realize the whistle was an actual move I could just interrupt.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Someone tell From I would pay an unreasonable amount of money for any kind of boss/miniboss select or rush mode.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Appoda posted:

Welp, finally Sekiro-row-rowed my boat gently to the end credits. Heck of a game, but after some cursory research, it seems that there are two other endings that are totally missable unless you do a bunch of bullshit somewhere during the mid-point of the game (not counting the iron code thing); is it really worth it to replay just to see those scenes/interactions?
Purification gets you a second optional boss who's way more fun than Demon and two minibosses so it's certainly worth doing.

Return doesn't have any bosses or minibosses, just some short stuff involving giant snakes, so it's the least interesting. You can however do all the prerequisites and then save scum to finish it in the same run you do Purification if you don't want to do a whole new game for it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
He meant the upper part of that room I think. The main entrance to the dungeon is there and there's an idol and a memorial shop guy directly outside of it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I think you just need to find the sick mother/son, die a few times, and talk to Emma and the Sculptor to trigger it?

In retrospect I bet one of the main reasons it's so easy to die to the first ogre is to guarantee players trigger the quest there.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 9, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Those guys are legit the toughest regular enemy in the entire game unless you get a lucky midair deathblow.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I died to phantom monk in NG+ because people said poison was good on her and I spent all fight trying to get it to work. :downs: In my defense it works on O'rin so clearly ghosts can be poisoned in the Sekiro universe.

Then I tried lazulite axe instead and wow that just melts her.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

I was really stuck on his last phase and was for the first time actually pretty frustrated with it. Similar to owldad 2 where one mistake and you're in trouble no matter what else has been going on.

Then I switched tactics to firecrackers when I saw him preparing to cheat and Ichimonji -ing his rear end into a corner. Very cathartic. 1 shot and done.
I resorted to the umbrella to make sure I wouldn't take any damage from One Mind and get that sweet projected force damage. I was hoping it would also work on the floor fire but it turns out holding an umbrella above your head does not stop fire from shooting up your butt.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I actually wish the Shura ending bosses were reversed. Emma is super cool because she's like a combination of Isshin and O'rin but she has to be easy since she's just phase 1 of the fight so she has tons of enormous vulnerability windows. Old Isshin has some neat tricks but it would have been neat if he was just the warmup since he's already half-dead and then Emma comes out and reveals she's actually his true successor when it comes to swordplay.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Mudfly posted:

How much harder is Owl 2.0 than Owl, and how does he rate in difficulty compared to the other bosses? I've just beaten the drunkard for the 2nd time and meeting another Owl is bloody demoralizing.
I think he's the hardest boss in the game but not by much. I'd wait to fight him until the final boss and the other optional boss are available since they're all about the same.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Same. Also I don't trust myself to scroll back and forth to use the right quick items in the middle of a hard fight without accidentally messing up my healing and pausing to navigate the item menu is too much work. :effort:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah it's pretty annoying how XP is banked automatically as long as you go long enough without dying but for gold you have to remember which memorial mobs you haven't bought out yet. One of the game's few flaws.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Remember you can deflect any attack no matter how big it is unless it's a sweep or a grab, though very large attacks can still leave you recoiling for a moment with that rad animation where you thrust your sword into the ground and not give you a chance to counter afterwards, so usually it's better to dodge against big slow enemies.

You'll have to say exactly which enemies you're talking about for better advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
You're supposed to use it before the attack hits you, but I think the upgrade lets it work after being hit too. Probably the least useful tool since it doesn't work against grabs and you already know how to defend against everything else anyway.