Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Namco Bandai did this with Dark Souls 2 and 3 and those were fine.

weeeeellllll...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bloodborne's bosses were very good solo, but dark souls 3's were a loving nightmare

here's to hoping sekiro's mobility options will put it closer to the former

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
*cackles ominously in nipponese*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my biggest problem with dark souls 3's bosses is that so few of them would just stay dead

everyone had a second phase or a second wind or an entire new lifebar and it only got worse the further you went into the game. couple that with the common gameplay complaint of the enemies having bloodborne-level mobility while you were the same clanky armored schmuck as always and they just became a chore

otoh Laurence the First Vicar made my blood pressure spike to "right wing radio personality" levels so you take the good and take the bad

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my earliest definitive soulsborne experience was when i first ventured into the Depths in DS1, which can be summarized as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbnqPMdNx88

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my 980 ti is still gobbling up almost everything i throw at it

only game recently that really confounded it was FFXV and that's more due to hideous optimization than anything

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Everyone posted:

Tenchu

What!?

Y-yoouuuu...!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
me, about to preorder:

Ah! My...money! My...M-MONEEEEY!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I guess my issue is outside of level design, From games literally are told via a bunch of text explaining things, and then like 30 seconds of cutscenes where half the dialogue consists of rueful/crazed laughter

...keh heh HA HA HA HA HA HA

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
who else here died by jumping their dumb rear end off a tree branch and into a roaring fire

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
(very early boss fight)

i didn't know why the chained ogre became a grapple point after his grab attack

then he threw me off a cliff

HI, MOTHERFUCKER

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Deified Data posted:

From has explicitly made us cautious about letting certain people live too, so :shrug:

the ones you need to kill tend to be exceptionally ominous, though

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gnumonic posted:

Oh also, maybe dumb question: Is this game actually set in historical Japan or is it just a vaguely Japanese setting? Like are there references to real people, places, or events?

pretty sure it’s the latter, even when you take away the fantastical elements

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

it's a random chance not to lose your money and experience when you die. it goes down when you die because from software likes to have gradually accruing penalties for dying repeatedly.

to be clearer, it only goes down if you keep resurrecting yourself. skip the rez and just die outright and it won't decrease

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

goferchan posted:

That's 100% not true, rezzing or not rezzing has nothing to do with it . Dragonrot is incurred when you "actually" die and get the red symbol

well drat it, that's the opposite of what i read elsewhere

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bogart posted:

There'd better be a payoff to this 'you need to suck up items and gold from enemies' mechanic because right now, it just seems oblique for the sake of it.

the range is enormous so it's really just a nice way to get all the post-battle looting done at once

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
so i assume this game's Black Knight equivalent is the headless man

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arist posted:

Am I expected to be able to defeat Juzo as soon as I unlock Hirata Estate? Dude kills me in two hits and while I can take advantage of the helper dude I still can't get even a single deathblow on him.

i rushed him down and used the axe to flinch him whenever i could, but even after gobbling down all my pills and candy i barely scraped by

doesn't seem to be much of a strategy to him beyond stabbing him in the butt and watching out for his counter-sweeps

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

There's no downside, but you get a prompt asking if you want to go back to the temple or the last idol you rested, and also a big animation, so not sure if you can pull it off in the middle of a boss fight.

i tried to do it when i foolishly challenged the headless, and he teleported behind me and ripped my loving heart out

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I think you mean "get snekt."

But yeah, that was my reaction too when I got to that part. "Holy loving giant snake out of nowhere," verbatim.

when it started nosing around the palanquin and i got the big red STAB HERE popup over its eyeball i was all "i want to do this, but also i really really don't want to do this"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the stealth also seems inconsistent to the point of being half baked at times, though it’s usually in the player’s favor so I can’t grouse about it too much

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Who’s got two thumbs and didn’t know he could sprint until the first boss

This guuuuyyyy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
beat L.B. after two tries but my pulse was way way up by the end, good christ

that parry pattern is still ringing in my ears

CLANG-CLANG-CLANG-CLONG

CLANG-CLANG-CLANG-CLONG

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also (ashido castle gate boss)

the Bull was a tremendous pain in the rear end but totally worth it for the guards poking their heads in afterward

"whew sounds like it finally calmed down"

"...why's the ninja still here :stare:"

"...WHERE'S THE BULL :stonk:"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
anyone who's stuck on the minibosses should remember to eat their candy

they bring your defense up from "The Incredible Rice-Paper Man" to "early Bloodborne build"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one legit criticism at least is that the stealth really is busted, enemies' reaction to different stimuli is completely out of whack

one notable example is the big staircase just past ashina castle's gates, where a general is waiting up top with his entourage. you can stand at the bottom of the stairs and pick off all the mooks with the shuriken and then stealth-stab the general without any of them ever entering alert status

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 24, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

What does the item you get from Lady Butterfly actually do? It says it gives you another resurrection chance but I still only have the two orbs? And I can't use it or give it to anyone.

Also I think everyone's ideas on how dragonrot works are gonna be wrong because I died a bunch an got three essence items at the same time lol

judging by the flavor text i think you need to meet Lord Kuro again before you can use it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

I can pretty consistently get to p2 of lady butterfly, except for the times I don't, and die horribly.

I'm not using any ninja tools. Just dodges and parries, I'm sure one of them ought to be useful on her.

shuriken, especially the upgraded one. whenever she's on her tightrope a single projectile will knock her on her rear end

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I do die. Then I run back. That is what I am saying.

i was playing it over-cautious for a while too (and the shinobi hunter is a serious stumbling point) but it doesn't take long before you're kitted up enough to justify using the rez and running back into the fray, a few more gourd seeds and prayer beads really increase your survivability

don't stress out over the dragonrot mechanic and just keep picking away at whichever path seems easier, you'll gradually accumulate upgrades until you're able to keep up with everything

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

How do you dodge the ogre grab attack? I'm doing training and the guy does the same attack but the step dodge doesn't seem to work at all. I can dodge it sometimes if I totally gtfo of the way but then theres no real room for a counter.

Also is there any life increase/gourd increase items (beyond the first one that you are p much guaranteed to find) in the first available areas

step-dodging directly backwards seems to be the trick for most grabs, thought i was still able to i-frame through most of the ogre's (and it was really loving cool when he threw me off the cliff and i grappled onto his neckbrace and got right back into his face)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i performed the mika counter on the Seven Spears guy, saw how fast his posture regenerated and nope'd out

maybe when i get a few more posture-damaging upgrades

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Got a question. I just got the snap seed, i haven't entered the room. If i gently caress up, where do i get another?

they're scattered around like any other item, i had about half a dozen

they're also not really necessary to the fight, the "illusions" are generic summoned mobs that go down in one hit and are dismissed after a little while anyway. the seed just creates an AOE attack that kills them all

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I'm feeling pretty convinced, that parry/posture/deathblow system sounds like the kind of thing I would enjoy

But let's talk turkey here: it's been a day or two, what're the problems with the game people are hitting so far? (technical, gameplay, whatever)

the stealth is really inconsistent - enemies don't react to dead bodies and barely seem to notice sounds but can see you from half a kilometer away, and it's very difficult to successfully stealth-kill more than one enemy at a time because the animation takes you out of stealth long enough to get spotted

the death/resurrection mechanics are also super loving stressful because they have larger effects on the entire game world that people still don't fully understand, which is only made worse by the brutal difficulty

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

It's almost like it's a bad game or something.

shhhh

*softly pinches ur lips shut*

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

The fact that essentially any non-animal enemy can and will block your attacks pretty effectively and you have to more or less rely on stance-breaking in combat is what convinced me that it is not meant to be played like a Souls game, it's way more its own thing than most people may think at first. If anything, Nioh is the Souls game despite not being by From and this is more Tenchu.

I will say though I wish there were way more kill animations than there are because going mostly stealth is fine but I'm already getting tired of seeing the same animation as much as I am.

it's very utilitarian, every killshot either goes for the throat or the heart, which on one hand is an effective reflection of how the main character fights but on the other let me chop pieces off my guys From, i loved decapitating dudes in tenchu

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Thanks for the snap seed advice.

I'm wondering if resetting these sub bosses so you can stab them in the back part of the design. So far, minus the very first general, every sub boss i've ever encountered ended up being a cheap victory.

I have no honor, and to be honest, from what i'm seeing the jerk offs i'm fighting don't have any either

These fights are tense as gently caress for me though, it's been awhile since i've been so tense fighting loving sub bosses, and i haven't done a proper boss fight yet

how many enemies in from software's games have you beaten by kiting until their aggro breaks

the only shameful fighter is one who fights with shame

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

What, exactly, is the intended timing for deflections? Am I supposed to hit LB the instant the attack lands? Is there a startup with the parry window several frames inside of it? I've poured hours into this thing and it still feels clunky and frustrating to me.

seems to be the standard "block right before the attack lands" and the timing is pretty generous compared to, say, DMC's Royal Guard

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

borf posted:

Coming to terms with this makes the game much less stressful and more fun!

with that said, the timid maid dies and it gave me the sad face

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
defeated seven spears, the iaido guy, and both purple ninjas

think that's enough for one day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pylons posted:

I haven't even picked up the firecrackers yet. Are they useful?

they scare the bejesus out of animals, so they're very useful for a couple of bosses